New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Character Questions for new players

I play 3.5 with a group of children on a regular basis as part of my job. They’re about 11 years old and have a hard time understanding the concept about alignment (Im from Denmark, and there’s no direct translating of that word into Danish )

To solve this slight problem, and to make them think more about their characters and thus make them better roleplayers Im working on a list of questions they’ll have to answer to help define their characters (10-15 questions should do)

What would be good questions to include in such a list? And Im really trying to avoid questions like “are you good?”, “are you chaotic?” and so on….

Hope you can help me

Awfullawful
    Water is composed of two gins. Oxygin which is pure gin, and Hydrogin which is water and gin.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Character Questions for new players

How things were translated to Norwegian in D&D basic:

Livsanskulese eller livsholdning:
    God, nøytral og ond
    Rettskaffen, nøytral og kaotisk
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You know you can ignore alignment for now and just add it to their characters after you see their reactions to situations, just start them off Neutral and see where they end up

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

ithilanor on Steam.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Well, in terms of questions that help with alignment... Well, first, it'd help to remind them that no answer's wrong here, but...

Someone comes up to your character and asks for money, saying they need it to feed their family. What does your character do, and why?

In a non-alignment question, there's...

What sort of family did/does your character have?

How did they feel about their family?

What is one thing your character likes to do when he/she's got downtime?

I'll probably think up more.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You could try just telling them that there's different types of good guys and different type of bad guys and ask which type of character they want to be. Provide a couple examples of each alignment type from popular media sources they'd know so they have a firm idea of what you mean

For examples you may wind up with Superman being your example of Lawful good, Conan being Neutral Good, etc...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    I'm bookmarking that for my players. Excellent idea, and just what I was thinking about.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
    You could try just telling them that there's different types of good guys and different type of bad guys and ask which type of character they want to be. Provide a couple examples of each alignment type from popular media sources they'd know so they have a firm idea of what you mean

For examples you may wind up with Superman being your example of Lawful good, Conan being Neutral Good, etc...
    I dunno, Superman doesn't seem Lawful Good to me. He'd be a Law Enforcement Officer if he was. Neutral Good - willing to do what needs to be done regardless of how the law operates. That's Superman.

A good LG character example would be Commissioner Gordon from Batman, instead.

Sorry, I had to nitpick. I have nothing to offer constructively, beyond saying the 10-minute background is a good way to help flesh out their characters. If you have access to Shadowrun 4E's Runner's Companion, there's a questionnaire in there that works very well, as well.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
    Superman is a d*ck.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-09-11 at 09:23 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Well, in terms of questions that help with alignment... Well, first, it'd help to remind them that no answer's wrong here, but...

Someone comes up to your character and asks for money, saying they need it to feed their family. What does your character do, and why?

In a non-alignment question, there's...

What sort of family did/does your character have?

How did they feel about their family?

What is one thing your character likes to do when he/she's got downtime?

I'll probably think up more.
    I'd second something like this. For PCs, alignment is all about choices. A series of questions (kind of like Ultima) could help you narrow it down. So...

"You capture an enemy miles away from civilization. What do you do with him?"

"The king has put up "Wanted" posters. The person is somebody you know, but not a close friend of yours. You know the person is innocent of the crime. Do you do anything about this? If so, what?"

"While you are travelling in a foreign kingdom, you discover that the kingdom allows slavery. Do you do anything about this? If so, what?"

"After defeating a group of marauders, you find that they've stolen a valuable religious artifact from a village not far from you. The artifact has guaranteed good harvests for the village for years. Without the artifact, the village has the same chance of a good or poor harvest as all the rest of the villages. What do you do with the artifact?"
    Last edited by Telonius; 2009-09-11 at 10:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of the best depictions of the alignment system came from the Wizardry computer game. It didn't go into Law vs. Chaos, but it described the Good vs. Evil like this:

A Good person will go out of his (or her) way to help an old lady across the street.
    A Neutral person will help an old lady across the street if he (or she) was going the same way.
    An Evil person will help an old lady across the street for a fee.

I don't have a good one for Law vs. Chaos, unfortunately.
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Umael View Post
    A Good person will go out of his (or her) way to help an old lady across the street.
    A Neutral person will help an old lady across the street if he (or she) was going the same way.
    An Evil person will help mug an old lady across the street for a fee and steal her dentures.
    Fixed it for you.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-09-11 at 12:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    QFT.

"Evil" in Wizardry is very different than EVIL in D&D's alignment system. In shorthand, it's the difference between "selfish" and "sociopathic."