New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default No God for Humans?

It occurred to me tonight that in all of the D&D editions that I'm aware of, there are no deities for humans. All of the other races, even Kobolds, get a god, or at least someone/something to say "I created this thing on the material plane," but humans have nothing.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I missing something? A friend of mine says that it's to show that humans need no deistic support to exist, but I'm not entirely sure that's the case.
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: No God for Humans?

Pelor is usually the bread and butter god for most humans.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is implied that, unless stated otherwise, if a god isn't directly tied to a certain race, it is a human god. Because humans are better that way.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

MonkGuy

yuk Re: No God for Humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    Pelor is usually the bread and butter god for most humans.
    Pelor? What's the worst he can do? Give you a bad sun burn? I require a more bad ass deity to explain my existence. For heaven's sake, I walk around everyday in a chainmail vest.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    Pelor? What's the worst he can do? Give you a bad sun burn? I require a more bad ass deity to explain my existence. For heaven's sake, I walk around everyday in a chainmail vest.
    pelor absolutely rocks...
    1. Improved healing
    2. Absolutely annihilates undead. (about the only cleric that can effective turn high level undead)

What MORE could a cleric want?

Anyways, as said before... Each race gets ONE and ONLY one god... humans get every single other god that isn't race specific. Which there are TONS of.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-14 at 11:20 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Vecna? extra characters

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Defining a specific deity (or a lack of one) for the human race would be impossible to do without alienating a few customers due to conflict of beliefs so it is left vague. This would be the obvious answer at least, I have no confirmation.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is a god for humans in races of destiny.

Elf ranger went a scoutin' and found a half-dragon ogre with a greataxe. I soon had a half-elf. ~ Pelfaid's first character death.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget about Zarus.

10. - Top - End - #10

Because Zarus sure hasn't forgotten about you.

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfClericGuy

Any god that is not specificly an elf, halfling, ect god is by defalt human. Humans have more gods than any other race. Alot of gods used to be human.

St. Cuthburt, Helm, Mystra, The Red Knight, Kelemvor all used to be mortal humans befor granted godhood.

D&D has always has a human sentric point of view. 3rd ed still has it to a small degree. Humans are usualy the most dominant race in published campaign worlds.

EDIT
    Damn thats a lot of ninjas
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2009-09-14 at 11:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    I thought of him when I read the title.

Figures. The only human-specific god, and he's a super-Nazi.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

First time I read the page for Zarus, I got through the first two paragraphs and thought "wow, this certainly reminds me of some other human creation story i've read somewhere else..." and skipped the rest of the descriptor.

Boy was i surprised when i read the rest of it later :P

Also, from the same book, Urbanus (from the page before, even) is pretty much a human centric god. Hes listed as the god of cities, but he really only shared all his visions with humans (only going so far as to say he 'accepts' non-humans)

14. - Top - End - #14

Humans are usually assumed to be the "default" race, most flexible/adaptable/diverse, so why limit them to one racial deity. *Sighs*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

humans are the shortest lived player characters... with the exception of orcs... the rest of the races can spend a lifetime discussing things like religion and coming to agreements. Humans, on the other hand, often just go with the flow becaue their days are so numbered...

Orcs live even less than humans, but have one god because they are simple, and bloodthirsty folk... whose only god is evil, and had all the other worshipers / gods slaughtered making him the ONLY orc god.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    LONG MAY HE SHINE

I posit that the Burning Hate is but a lesser aspect of Zarus.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    LONG MAY HE SHINE

I posit that the Burning Hate is but a lesser aspect of Zarus.
    Or vice-versa.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    pelor absolutely rocks...
    1. Improved healing
    2. Absolutely annihilates undead. (about the only cleric that can effective turn high level undead)

What MORE could a cleric want?

Anyways, as said before... Each race gets ONE and ONLY one god... humans get every single other god that isn't race specific. Which there are TONS of.
    You forgot a bullet:

• Effing EEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLL!

Reference: Symbol of Pain, PHB. Numerous threads concerning this topic. Basic memdom aside.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Humans get all the non-specific gods. Warforged, however, are in need of a deity.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    Humans get all the non-specific gods. Warforged, however, are in need of a deity.
    Lord of Blades. The becoming God. Eberron isn't really a true diety campaign.

That being said, In Forgotten Realms, Gond could be their god. God of creation.

Elf ranger went a scoutin' and found a half-dragon ogre with a greataxe. I soon had a half-elf. ~ Pelfaid's first character death.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranis View Post
    It occurred to me tonight that in all of the D&D editions that I'm aware of, there are no deities for humans. All of the other races, even Kobolds, get a god, or at least someone/something to say "I created this thing on the material plane," but humans have nothing.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I missing something? A friend of mine says that it's to show that humans need no deistic support to exist, but I'm not entirely sure that's the case.
    The Book of Vile Darkness details how humans were created by a group of gods. Or at least, how they originally attempted the process, but failed when their proto-human race prooved to violent and deadly. They then took "what they learned", and made the current version of the Human race. However, the original survived and his descendants are still around, but that is neither here-nor-there.

Also, I believe one of the 3.5 splat books (Races of the Wild maybe?) had a creation myth where Humanity was birthed to a Halfling mother, and was fathered by both a Dwarf and an Elf?
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    humans are the shortest lived player characters... with the exception of orcs... the rest of the races can spend a lifetime discussing things like religion and coming to agreements. Humans, on the other hand, often just go with the flow becaue their days are so numbered...

Orcs live even less than humans, but have one god because they are simple, and bloodthirsty folk... whose only god is evil, and had all the other worshipers / gods slaughtered making him the ONLY orc god.
    Ah, no. There is an antire ORc pantheon.

See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc_deities
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

even better... so orcs and humans as short lived... ah heck. I bet there are splat materials expanding each race to have an entire pantheanon... heck there should be so many gods, considering beings can ascent, and devine rank 16-19 rule lower ranked gods as "kings would commoners". plus every mortal / god crossbreed is an automatic divinity 0 demigod who is immortal save being slain in combat.

24. - Top - End - #24

What about Wastri? God of Human Supremacy and ...frogs.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's probably a because D&D is so human centric that all races except humans are virtually monotheistic while humans basically have all the rest. Of course there is Zarus for the racist humans and he's pretty similar in that respect to many of the evil racial deities.

Most of the other races also have the creation myths to go by their exclusive deities. What about humans in D&D? They seem to indicate that humans have no specific creation myth and that they came later. But if they were created later why are there so effin many of them. I think it would make more sense if humans were the first humanoids on the material plane and the rest were either created later or came from their respective deities planar dominions afterwards.

I figure that the healing domain would make Pelor the favourite of the human commoner while the upper classes would favour Hieronymus, St. Cuthbert and Hextor according to alignment and then the rest.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    What I like about Wastri is that he has the glaive as his favored weapon, and grants the War Domain. Hellooo reach.

27. - Top - End - #27

But does he have an awesome hat?

This is important to me.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

All hail the Hopping Prophet, god of Amphibians, Bigotry, Complete Total Awesomeness and Self-Deception

Fear Him. And his leaping frog ninjas.
    Last edited by Armoury99; 2009-09-15 at 03:44 AM.
    Coming Soon....

Orbis Terrarum RPG: Gritty heroism in a customisable world of secrets, daemons, and strange ecologies...The historical roleplaying game of a make-believe world. Meet us on Facebook, Google Plus, and coming soon to kickstarter!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

<_< >_>

It's because most of the humanoids are just the results of gods, well, playing god with whatever tribes of humans they were able to steal when they were still playing with skins and flint knives.

Burning Hate, but does it still work? http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=846926
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-09-15 at 04:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, humans are, like, the second-youngest race (halflings being the youngest). Or possibly the youngest.

Depending on which creation myth you read.

Humans are still pretty young by cosmic standards!
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."