New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default This..has..just...started!(3.5 spell)

A spell I specifically designed for boss fights but maybe PCs can use it as well:

Phoenix Rebirth
    Transmutation [Fire]
    Level: Clr 9, Scr/Wiz 9
    Components: V,S,M,XP
    Casting Time:1 minute
    Range:Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: 1 hour/caster level before trigger, 5 minutes/caster level once triggered(See text)
    Saving Throw:none
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Upon completion of the spell, the spell remains Dormant until the Target dies(or the spell ends), at which point the target returns to life at full health and all spells restored,sheathed in flames for 5 minutes/ caster level. The spell grants the user immunity to fire, a flight speed of 30ft(good) as well as having all weapons do a additional 3d6 fire damage, once the spell is over the target remains alive unless killed but the effects of the spell end.

Components: 10,000 GP worth of Diamond, 5,000 XP
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-09-19 at 07:48 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: This..has..just...started!(3.5 spell)

Definitely needs an XP cost.
    -- The Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: This..has..just...started!(3.5 spell)

This is essentially a resurrection spell, except with the dire and half-fiend templates tacked on. Definitely needs XP cost.

Unless you make the bringing back to life bit expire after 24 hours or something. That makes it a good revenge spell, but not a "get out of afterlife free" card.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Added a XP cost
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Emmm... xp cost? It's a contingent resurrection. And a 9th level spell. And it has a rather short duration... I'd call it 10,000 gp worth and no more.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Emmm... xp cost? It's a contingent resurrection. And a 9th level spell. And it has a rather short duration... I'd call it 10,000 gp worth and no more.
    9th level spells are one a day (or more) once you got them. And that duration is *once triggered*, meaning it can be cast on you years before it actually gets activated.

The line about "all spells restored" actually makes nova-ing, then intentionally getting killed into a strong tactic in a big battle.

Heck, that line actually makes this spell an infinite spells per day cheat, as long as you remember to recast this spell on yourself each time before allowing yourself to get killed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    9th level spells are one a day (or more) once you got them. And that duration is *once triggered*, meaning it can be cast on you years before it actually gets activated.

The line about "all spells restored" actually makes nova-ing, then intentionally getting killed into a strong tactic in a big battle.

Heck, that line actually makes this spell an infinite spells per day cheat, as long as you remember to recast this spell on yourself each time before allowing yourself to get killed.
    Ah. Didn't notice that. I suppose it is worthy of an xp penalty, what with the "all spells restored" clause... though you couldn't pull it off in the middle of combat, as it's a one minute casting time.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The spell grants the user immunity to fire, a flight speed of 30 ft(good) as well as having all weapons do a additional 3d6 fire damage, once the spell is over the target remains alive unless killed but the effects of the spell end.
    How long does the immunity, flight and weapon damage last?

This strikes me as a fancy-schmancy contingency spell that tries to do too much.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-09-19 at 05:43 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

This seems a bit powerful to me. Contingent Resurrection is an Epic Spell, and this does it along with spell restoration and other stuff for a lower level. I'm sure the costs balance it out a bit, but it just seems a bit strong to me.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

MAYBE include level loss as per Ressurection... but probably not.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #11

I think it should have a set duration for how long it can be triggered for. As is, you cast it, and you never have to worry again.

Maybe make it last an hour per caster level? Then in changes from "I cast this spell, and I never have to worry about dying" to "I cast this battle in case I die in the coming fight against the BBEG".
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Got it, will put a before-trigger expiration date.