New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What is Ravenloft?

I heard of it a few times around. I know it is some type of evil setting but I don't really know what it is? Could the wonder of the Playground help me out there? If it is really good I might even go and try and get a copy of it.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: What is Ravenloft?

I believe the setting came about in 2E, with a few products for 3E. It's a gothic, horror themed setting. Bad things happen there with occasional eldritch abominations or creepy undead, depending on the DM's play-style.

Alignment detection magic for Good/Evil doesn't work and bad things happen to Good people. Of course, theories abound that the plane of Ravenloft was originally designed as the can for Sealed Evil in a Can, but no one is sure.

When in doubt, TV Tropes or Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Thrice Dead Cat; 2009-09-19 at 04:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The setting Ravenloft is a gothic-themed prison plane where only the most vile of individuals are sent; the place encourages evil, but it also punishes it. All those who live (or reside, as the case may be) in Ravenloft are playthings of the creatures who created it. Life expectancy is not high.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    The setting Ravenloft is a gothic-themed prison plane where only the most vile of individuals are sent; the place encourages evil, but it also punishes it. All those who live (or reside, as the case may be) in Ravenloft are playthings of the creatures who created it. Life expectancy is not high.
    Unlife expectancy, however, is into the stratosphere.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I might add that the world is surrounded by Mists that prevents people from getting out of it, but will allow people to Plane Shift into it. There are also patches of Mist traveling the world, and people who get traped inside are pretty much dead.

Playing in Ravenloft is awesome!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Ravenloft is a prision for the most evil dictators. But unfortunately it does not only snatch away these evildoers, but also a great deal of their countries, taking the mostly innocent population with it. Who then have to struggle in a nightmare-world.
    The evil overlords have almost absolute power in their realms, but the one thing they really desire the most, they can never archieve. As a result, they are usually pissed all day and let their anger out on the population. It's a world in dire need of heroes, but even people who would be seen as heroes in other worlds, can mostly only hope to make it through a couple more days until they meet their usually sorrowful fates.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Well, Ravenloft is a prision for the most evil dictators. But unfortunately it does not only snatch away these evildoers, but also a great deal of their countries, taking the mostly innocent population with it. Who then have to struggle in a nightmare-world.
    The evil overlords have almost absolute power in their realms, but the one thing they really desire the most, they can never archieve. As a result, they are usually pissed all day and let their anger out on the population. It's a world in dire need of heroes, but even people who would be seen as heroes in other worlds, can mostly only hope to make it through a couple more days until they meet their usually sorrowful fates.
    And now, having been archive binging Girl Genius at a rate of better than one year a day recently, I am strongly considering the effects of dropping an old school Heterodyne in Ravenloft.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-09-19 at 05:46 PM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And now, having been archive binging Girl Genius at a rate of better than one year a day recently, I am strongly considering the effects of dropping an old school Heterodyne in Ravenloft.
    Christ, man, that's just... wow.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Pretty much this, except one nitpick. When a dark lord is trapped, a new land is created around him, it might have one or two people from his history before being trapped, but not many. The rest of his land will be very similar to his original home, but the differences will be painfully obvious to the prisoner. A good example is Lord Soth from Dragonlance Setting. He was a deathknight, got trapped in Ravenloft, and during that time, his keep in Dragonlance sat empty.
    There are certain effects if someone actually manages to kill a dark lord, but that's pretty much not gonna happen unless you're in Ravenloft because you ocnvinced the DM to run a zombie smashing game. (Which is not the intent of the system)

The heroes might survive, but rarely do they survive unscathed

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Two major themes that I haven't seen mentioned thus far: the Dark Powers that imprison the darklords have a flair for the ironic. The man who became a vampire out of obsession with a girl only to cause her death rules a realm in which she is reincarnated every generation, only to meet an untimely end. The wizard who became a lich to live long enough to master all magic is granted eternal life but cursed with an inability to learn anything new. The mortal general who wishes to conquer is given land in a realm where invasion is impossible because each realm responds to its darklord in a way that makes attack futile. (Also, all his neighbors are powerful supernatural beings.) The werewolf who wished to conquer a nation is given an entire realm to rule, but there is nothing in it of note: no cities, no great centers of learning or commerce, just a bunch of back-of-beyond villages that never grow.

The other thing is that the PCs are expected to succeed in being heroes - they should shine all the brighter against the darkness. But their victories are usually small, and always limited, and it is impossible to change the nature of the plain. Ultimately, they can only hope to save those immediately around them, and if they reach too far to attempt more they run a very real risk of being corrupted by the Dark Powers and turned into everything they hate.

11. - Top - End - #11

I heard Vecna escaped from Ravenloft, how did he succeed?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post
    I don't know, but I know Lord Seth escaped by ignoring Ravenloft. Which is stupid to an epic degree.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Essentially, because he had the Hand of Vecna and Eye of Vecna and other Xs of Vecna outside Ravenloft, he had enough of a connection to the outside to work up some plot-device magic to do it. I can get out my old copy of Die Vecna Die for more particulars, if you wish.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2009-09-19 at 08:59 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

According to Dragon Magazine 341: "Eventually, through patient plotting, near-immortal genius, and primordial magic, Vecna Shattered his prison and escaped, ascending to godhood and leaving his rival lost in the ether." They made reference to them fighting in "some misty realm" too.

Also...+1 to the Heterodyne. That's phenomenal.

P.S. Yes, the book references his hand and eye having a cult worship of some kind.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Ravenloft is more hellish than Hell, in practice in D&D. I've used it a couple of times in games, but I normally refrain because its an environment that lends itself painfully well to TPKs.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

What is Ravenloft?

Just a miserable little pile of secrets.
    Last edited by Overlord Nicy; 2009-09-19 at 11:19 PM.
    Pronounced Nikki.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord Nicy View Post

Just a miserable little piles of secrets.
    Was so sad when they changed that line in the Dracula X Chronicles version. *Sigh*

18. - Top - End - #18

Lizardfolk

He cheated.
    He suckered Iuz into being absorbed into Vecna while in Ravenloft. At that point, Vecna was too powerful to be restrained by the demiplane, and he escaped to Sigil, using another loophole to be not-quite-a-deity as his power level was still in flux after absorbing Iuz.
    After he was defeated in Sigiil, Iuz's essence was expelled, but Vecna was free to roam.

As for Ravenloft the Setting, it suffered from not really "getting it".
    While it tried to be Gothic horror, it too often was nothing but splatter or body horror, compounded by the deus ex machina nature of the setting itself (you are imprisoned and get out when the DM feels like it), leaving its attempts at moral situations consistently falling well short of anything relevant.
    It also suffered from the rules actually favoring being "somewhat" evil. You got power from the first one or two dark gifts with no significant penalty. That opened the door to gratuitous power mongering at a direct cost to the theme.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Vecna was mentioned. The only other escapee (though there's an adventure line about Azalin the Lich coming close) is Lord Soth. Ravenloft was being handed to... I think it was White Wolf, and since Soth was from Dragonlance WotC wanted to keep rights to him, so he escaped the mists via a legal loophole.
    Now with half the calories!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    He suckered Iuz into being absorbed into Vecna while in Ravenloft. At that point, Vecna was too powerful to be restrained by the demiplane, and he escaped to Sigil, using another loophole to be not-quite-a-deity as his power level was still in flux after absorbing Iuz.
    After he was defeated in Sigiil, Iuz's essence was expelled, but Vecna was free to roam.
    Where do you get your info? Can you tell me where I can look to find all the details? I'd love to read up more about all that (I'm a fan of Greyhawk), but I don't know where to find a simple summary of events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

What's ravenloft? Awesome.

Yes, the other folk have summed it up fairly well I'd say.

22. - Top - End - #22

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jarawara View Post
    Where do you get your info? Can you tell me where I can look to find all the details? I'd love to read up more about all that (I'm a fan of Greyhawk), but I don't know where to find a simple summary of events.
    That is an EXTREMELY condensed summary of the event of the module Die Vecna Die.

As for reading more, you would have to go throught the three Vecna modules: Vecna Lives, Vecna Reborn, and Die Vecna Die; plus the Core Beliefs article on Vecna in Dragon Magazine.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    As for Ravenloft the Setting, it suffered from not really "getting it".
    While it tried to be Gothic horror, it too often was nothing but splatter or body horror, compounded by the deus ex machina nature of the setting itself (you are imprisoned and get out when the DM feels like it), leaving its attempts at moral situations consistently falling well short of anything relevant.
    It also suffered from the rules actually favoring being "somewhat" evil. You got power from the first one or two dark gifts with no significant penalty. That opened the door to gratuitous power mongering at a direct cost to the theme.
    You need to read the Van Richten's Guide series. They were a masterclass in presenting Ravenloft as something more than a munchkin power fantasy. The Guide to Demons (by which Van Richten meant every Evil Outsider) was especially well done. Minor devil serial killers, a Cornugon warlord, and Demodands that actually make sense!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Technically Ravenloft is just one castle inside the "Land of Mists", which is the dimension of punishment as a whole. But it's such an iconic location that it's name became synonymous with the entire dimension.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You need to read the Van Richten's Guide series. They were a masterclass in presenting Ravenloft as something more than a munchkin power fantasy. The Guide to Demons (by which Van Richten meant every Evil Outsider) was especially well done. Minor devil serial killers, a Cornugon warlord, and Demodands that actually make sense!
    Really, they work fabulously for bringing out options for any monster they cover. Nothing scares players more like hearing about how long a vampire has been around, or a tomb has been sealed, while you sit there with a Van Richten's Guide on whatever you've been talking about.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

26. - Top - End - #26

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Which edition? I read most of the early ones in 2nd ed.
    While they certainly provided significant options they provided very little in the way of Gothic horror. Variable combat abilities and some ways to use existing monsters might make for good Slasher or Body horror, but it does not automatically translate to Gothic horror. Which, as I said, was the persistent problem with the Ravenloft setting.

27. - Top - End - #27

Ravenloft is Blackwing's Crib.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Chimera

Actually, I sometimes get the feeling that the only real people in the Mists are the darklord, "outsiders", and the Vistani. Think about it, the citizens of the land just appear out of nowhere. Who's to say the citizens really are the darklords' playthings?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I do love you people in here. You give the best inspiration.
    I'm just in the middle of working up a Ravenloft campaign due to this thread.
    Last edited by Asheram; 2009-09-20 at 04:20 PM.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    I do love you people in here. You give the best inspiration.
    I'm just in the middle of working up a Ravenloft campaign due to this thread.
    I beg you, please use the AD&D ravenloft and not the 3.0/3.5 ravenloft. The AD&D one was terrifying, depressing, desperate, everything a good ravenloft campaign should be.
    Then we did one under 3.0 rules, using the SAME DM, and it just wasn't the same. More combat focused, more random encounters. And the story encounters were also less story, and more combat.
    Ravenloft =/= Vampire Slaying game.
    (Oh, and if you use 3.5 rules, use Rule 0 to get rid of certain items and PrC's. An undead campaign in ravenloft just doesn't work when you've got a Radiant Servant of Pelor in the party)