New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] More than dual progressions

I was wondering, how far can you take 'dual' progression builds?

Is it possible to build a 20th level character with 9th level arcane spells, divine spells, manouevres and powers? If not how close can you get? Can you get the spells and powers?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] More than dual progressions

I think this is the current record holder in that regard, though it's a gestalt build that shamelessly abuses the things you're specifically not supposed to do with gestalt.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Overall, yeah, with enough Fast Progression classes I think you can even make a single-class character with at least level 9 Arcane, Divine and Manifesting (or Maneuvers).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I think this is the current record holder in that regard, though it's a gestalt build that shamelessly abuses the things you're specifically not supposed to do with gestalt.
    Wow, I think that build turned me lactose-intolerant.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Overall, yeah, with enough Fast Progression classes I think you can even make a single-class character with at least level 9 Arcane, Divine and Manifesting (or Maneuvers).
    i think the only way is to use ardent and practiced manifester to do it. beholder mage and ur priest would give you the arcane and divine casting.

6. - Top - End - #6

Tidesinger had a build floating around that was double 9s with 16 BAB, I believe.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There is always Pun-Pun! Eh, eh? *slinks back under the rock from whence I came*
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

There's actually a triple 9 build (Arcane, Divine, Psionics) that isn't gesalt but it's pretty cheesy..... it used both Beholder Mage AND Ur-Presit.

Also, that Gesalt is pretty illegal because you're A. Not supposed to take dual-progresion classes and B. Not to take 2 prestige classes at once.
    Fire Emblem Optimizer and Game Balancer (apparently) in the Playground
    A note on using my Fire Emblem rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    "Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."
    Harry Dresden Avatar by Deuxhero

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aje8 View Post
    There's actually a triple 9 build (Arcane, Divine, Psionics) that isn't gesalt but it's pretty cheesy..... it used both Beholder Mage AND Ur-Presit.
    What were they thinking when they made Ur-Priest? 9th level spells in ten levels....

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

You only need 9 levels of it to get 9th level spells.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Is there another vanilla Arcane/Divine class like Mystic Theurge, with generic* requirements like Mystic Theurge, but which advances spells known?

*None of this 'Trackless Step' or 'Evasion/Bardic Knowledge/Eleventy bajillion skills' nonsense.
    Last edited by Bang; 2009-09-20 at 02:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Is there another vanilla Arcane/Divine class like Mystic Theurge, with generic* requirements like Mystic Theurge, but which advances spells known?
    What do you mean? Any "+1 to existing spellcasting class" PrC should advance spells known for a spontaneous caster. Are you talking about the wizard's two free spells per level?
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2009-09-20 at 02:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    What do you mean? Any "+1 to existing spellcasting class" PrC should advance spells known for a spontaneous caster. Are you talking about the wizard's two free spells per level?
    The DMG hybrids don't advance spells known, only spells per day (Compare the 'Spells Per Day' entries of the Mystic Theurge, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster to the 'Spells Per Day/Spells Known" entries of the Archmage and Loremaster).

This is a huge stumbling block for my Demonbinder and Sublime Chord builds.
    I guess I could just overload them with metamagic...
    Last edited by Bang; 2009-09-20 at 03:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

By RAW, they do only advance spells per day and caster level and nothing else, but I've never met a DM who wouldn't also give you spells known. That would just be silly.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Colony character: Derek Johnson (retired)
    2e anybody? character: Maksil (retired)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

They are supposed to advance both, it's just that Wizards (the default assumption) don't care about 'spells known'.

16. - Top - End - #16

Oh, right, that. I'm not sure I've ever heard of that being enforced.

17. - Top - End - #17

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    They are supposed to advance both, it's just that Wizards (the default assumption) don't care about 'spells known'.
    If that were the case, Archmage and Loremaster should follow suit.

If we're ignoring rules, I'm not sure what the point of any of this is.
    Last edited by Bang; 2009-09-20 at 03:04 PM. Reason: What good's a rubix cube if you're just switching the stickers around?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Most people interpret it as an oversight. Lazy wording.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If you feel obligated to prevent PrC's from advancing Spells known because that's RAW how it's written then more power to you. Personally I think that is an insane rule and must have been an oversight.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

20. - Top - End - #20

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Personally I think that is an insane rule and must have been an oversight.
    If there weren't a pattern of dual progression classes neglecting spells known and singluarly casting-focused classes gaining them, I'd agree. (Also, the two different entries indicate that there wasn't a cut-and-paste error; the relevant portion was deliberately added or removed)

As it is, using MT to advance Sublime Chord spells known has no more RAW backing than using MT to advance Maneuvers.

Nobody on these forums know anyone else's house rules. If there is any common ground for discussion, it is in RAW.

--Edit--
    Anyway, what I was looking for was a class that skirted this issue.
    Does anyone have an easily-available alternate to Mystic Theurge for Arcane/Divine casting?

Particularly one to practically progress Ur-Priest alongside Demonbinder or Sublime Chord.
    Last edited by Bang; 2009-09-20 at 06:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    If you feel obligated to prevent PrC's from advancing Spells known because that's RAW how it's written then more power to you. Personally I think that is an insane rule and must have been an oversight.
    It only hurts Sorc/Bards. They are the ones that get Known limited by spell progression.

22. - Top - End - #22

DruidGuy

Nobody on these forums know anyone else's house rules. If there is any common ground for discussion, it is in RAW.
    Up to a certain point. I mean, by RAW, Monks aren't proficient in their unarmed strikes, but, like this spells known issue, nobody will ever enforce it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Most example NPCs using the DMG prestige classes do have advanced spells known. However, given the history of NPC stat blocks, that might not be any evidence...

24. - Top - End - #24

sigh. I made one that succeeds (full cleric, wizard, psion progressions). Mind you its hard and requires capitalism from a party member or NPC.

I posted it on BG and 339 but no one cares. yawn

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlzBreakMyCmpAn View Post
    sigh. I made one that succeeds (full cleric, wizard, psion progressions). Mind you its hard and requires capitalism from a party member or NPC.

I posted it on BG and 339 but no one cares. yawn
    Well I care. That's why I made the thread.

Link?

26. - Top - End - #26

If there weren't a pattern of dual progression classes neglecting spells known and singluarly casting-focused classes gaining them, I'd agree. (Also, the two different entries indicate that there wasn't a cut-and-paste error; the relevant portion was deliberately added or removed)

As it is, using MT to advance Sublime Chord spells known has no more RAW backing than using MT to advance Maneuvers.

--Edit--
    Anyway, what I was looking for was a class that skirted this issue.
    Does anyone have an easily-available alternate to Mystic Theurge for Arcane/Divine casting?

Particularly one to practically progress Ur-Priest alongside Demonbinder or Sublime Chord.
    Or, alternatively, different designers were working on different classes, and one, in making all his classes, forgot to write some of it in.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Couldn't find it on the forums but google had it cached, The Ultimate Multi-Threat does pretty well for itself as a non-gestalt.

28. - Top - End - #28

Well, I've done a 9/9/9/9 Gestalt with Psionics, Manuevers, Arcane, and Divine. Wasn't legal though since I used dual advancement PrCs. You can also do a pretty easy 9/9/9 for Psionics, Arcane, and Divine by using Erudite (with Spell to Power)/Ur-Priest/Psychic Theurge (Spell to Power lets the Erudite get access to arcane spells).