Orc in the Playground

Default What haunts a sailor's nightmares? [Creature, PEACH]

Lomona
    Large Aberration (Aquatic)
    Hit Dice:
    5d8 + 10 (32 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 20ft., swim 60ft.
    AC: 15, touch 11, flat-footed 13 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural)
    Base Attack/ Grapple: +3/+8
    Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6 + 2) or claw +2 melee (1d4 + 2)
    Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6 + 2) and 2 claws +2 melee (1d4 + 1)
    Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
    Special Attacks: Ethereal school, kelp tangle, lomona’s curse
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., deceptive veil
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 13
    Skills: Listen +5, Knowledge (the planes) +4, Spot +5, Survival +5
    Feats: Ability Focus (Ethereal School), Multiattack
    Environment: Any aquatic
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
    Advancement: 6-10 HD (Large), 11-20 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: -

Lomona are hideous reminders that things live at the bottom of the deepest, darkest trenches in the ocean. Perpetually surrounded by the souls of dead seafarers in the shape of fish, Lomona are not precisely evil...just completely foreign in their way of thought and action.

Lomona resemble massive, midnight blue merfolk. However, their heads are attached directly to their shoulders and are shaped like a barracuda's. Their hands are equipped with talons. Long barbels trail back from their upper and lower lips. Lomona easily reach twelve feet in length and weigh almost 800 lbs. They speak Undercommon and Aquan.

Combat
    Ethereal School (Su):
    Lomona are surrounded by the spirits of those they have killed, in the forms of small fish. This school deals 2d8 damage each round to any incorporeal or ethereal creatures within 10 feet of a lomona. Corporeal creatures within 10 feet of the lomona need to make a DC 15 Will save each round they remain within the school or believe they are being eaten alive by hundreds of ravenous fish and become nauseated for 1 round. Creatures that make their Will saves become immune to that lomona’s ethereal school for 24 hours. This is a mind-effecting fear effect.
    Kelp Tangle (Su): As a standard action three times per day, a lomona can cause a ship’s moving speed to be halved for eight hours. The lomona must be able to see the ship it wants to affect and can only affect any one ship once every 24 hours.
    Lomona’s Curse (Su): Twice per day as a standard action, a Lomona can place a curse upon a single target. The target takes a -2 penalty to all attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks for a week. Additionally, the cursed target is frightened for 1d4 rounds. A Will save (DC 13) negates the curse and the frightened condition. This is a mind-effecting fear effect.
    Deceptive Veil (Su): As the spell disguise self, but the lomona can appear to be up to one size smaller.
    Last edited by SlaadLord; 2009-09-22 at 11:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What haunts a sailor's nightmares? [Creature, PEACH]

Not bad. I don't see any problem with it... I wonder if I could add the flying template to this sucker...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Very nice indeed. I particularly like the way Ethereal School works.

Secondary natural weapons are always secondary, even when used as a primary weapon. Attack line for claw should be +2 melee.

Since you said you were basing it off the merfolk, I wasn't sure if you were actually following the advancement by Size or just winging the numbers.* For a Large creature, its Strength is a little low.

*I actually advanced a merfolk by size just for the heck of it.

Even though the MM doesn't state it outright, merfolk have the following racial adjustments: Dex +2, Con +2, and Cha +2. Compare the starting array with the one in the stat block and you get the adjustments. To advance a Medium creature to a Large creature, you add the following size adjustments: Str +8, Dex -2 and Con +4. This gives you a total adjustment of Str +8, Con +6, and Cha +2. Sample Large Merfolk has these abilities: Str 18, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 13.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-09-22 at 12:26 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks very much.

I was winging the numbers for "Large Merfolk." It just seemed like an image people could connect to. I know the strength is a little low...thanks for the fix on the attack line.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Thumbs up Re: What haunts a sailor's nightmares? [Creature, PEACH]

That's pretty cool.

I'm with Debi on the the Ethereal School, nice and unique and flavorful

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Thank you very much.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Is Kelp tangle a purely supernatural effect, or does it act by creating kelp on the hull or causing the hull to attract such? Does going diving to cut of any actual kelp that may be involved allow ending the effect early?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

DracoDei: Purely supernatural.