New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default A good Gestalt for a warlock?

So, we're starting a new game with just a couple of guys, and DM decided to give us a little advantage and let us play gestalt. Which we've never done before. Although, I really don't see any difficulty at all, it looks easy, almost elegant even in the way they set up the rules for that. Anyway, it's a mid-level game, like 8-10 we'll be starting at. My buddy's gonna make himself a Mystic Theurge and go Wizard//Cleric straight through. He'll be doing all the buffing and healing. This leaves a lot of options up to me. To keep combat interesting, W//C will be summoning interesting things, and I'll get the Leadership feat so I can fill the field with my low-level goons. Get a cohort who's good at boosting other groups of people, like perhaps a Bard or an Archivist.

And then there's me. My mother was a witch (she was burned alive) and there's a demon or a 'loth even not too far back in my family tree. I'm a Warlock through and through. Blasting is my game, and I like to play. So what should I match up with in my gestalt, to ideally create a good synergy? What complements a Warlock's talents, and what other niches/roles can I accomplish with this character?

Edit: Sorry for not mentioning; just about all books are allowed. DM is very forgiving about what classes he includes, as long as you can justify it for your character concept. Plus, he owns almost all of the 3.5 books and doesn't mind getting some use out of them.
    Last edited by Scaboroth; 2009-09-23 at 09:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A good Gestalt for a warlock?

what books are allowed?
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Warlock synergizes well with Rogue, because you can apply sneak attack to your eldritch blasts. Be sure to pick up the invocation that turns you invisible at will.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rogue could be useful. You could sneak attack with your eldritch blast, and all those extra skill points make for a versatile warlock, plus there's a lot of utility invocations that work well for a rogue (flying, invisibility, huge boosts to certain skills and so on).
    Planetkiller avatar by The Randomizer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Eldritch Blast doesn't have any components, right?
    If i remebered that correctly, a PsyWar/Psion could be good, since schizm would give you twice the bang for your eldritch-buck.
    And the power-list would give you some versatility and good defence, something 'locks kinda suck at.

Sorcerer/Fiend Blooded would add lots of options too and it's got CHA synergy and the flavour is pretty much spot on.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclocone View Post
    Eldritch Blast doesn't have any components, right?
    If i remebered that correctly, a PsyWar/Psion could be good, since schizm would give you twice the bang for your eldritch-buck.
    And the power-list would give you some versatility and good defence, something 'locks kinda suck at.

Sorcerer/Fiend Blooded would add lots of options too and it's got CHA synergy and the flavour is pretty much spot on.
    Eldritch blast doesn't have any components. It's an at-will SLA.

The concept of gestalting a warlock with a psion is an interesting one (even though you didn't really present it). It certainly would make for a very blasty character, though I'm not sure how well the two synergize.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charl View Post
    Eldritch blast doesn't have any components. It's an at-will SLA.

The concept of gestalting a warlock with a psion is an interesting one (even though you didn't really present it). It certainly would make for a very blasty character, though I'm not sure how well the two synergize.
    Eldritch Blast blast does have somatic components unlike a normal spell like ability.

8. - Top - End - #8

Warlock combos with a lot of classes, depending.

If you're going Eldritch Glaive Warlock, then Fighter/barbarian can go well.
    Paladin is good, if you focus on charisma. Sorceror can be as well.
    Rogue, as has been stated, synergizes well.

Swordsage is remarkable, in that it gives you a whole new bag of tricks... ESPECIALLY with the versatility of Shadow Hand jaunts and such.

If going psion, I recommend Wilder. Less powers, but better Cha synergy.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    Eldritch Blast blast does have somatic components unlike a normal spell like ability.
    Ah, true. I forgot.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    In fairness, not everyone reads the errata. In Complete Arcane, Eldritch blast is described as a true SLA, and it specifically states that it's not an invocation. But then the errata says that it is.

For my Warlocks, I usually like to pick Pixie as a race, and then as the gestalt class, take Artificer to give me all the spellcasting Warlock lacks, along with Item Creation Feats.

If you're a human warlock could also plan to PrC to Factorum/Chameleon(RoD) to pick up that revolving Feat. Use it for item creation or Extra Invocation (whatever sounds good today.) Then keep going with Chameleon or whatever.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Bard/warchanter on the other side? Then get a Frenzied Berserker as a cohort ... as soon as he hits level 12 all the summons and mooks on the battlefield are in a deathless frenzy at full "power attack" with their penalty to AC (not really PA, something similar).

PS. you don't want to be anywhere near them once they run out of enemies to kill.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2009-09-23 at 05:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

As others have mentioned, Rogue/Swordsage//Warlock has incredible synergy. I love doing this as a Glaivelock. A few levels in that 3-level PrC for Warlock, the Hellfire whatsitcalled, and you're golden. Binder works suprisingly well with Warlock, 'cause there's a bit of synergy in the 24-hr buffs, but as you've already got a buffer I don't suppose that's a great pull.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tokiko Mima View Post
    In fairness, not everyone reads the errata. In Complete Arcane, Eldritch blast is described as a true SLA, and it specifically states that it's not an invocation. But then the errata says that it is.
    IIRC, the eldricht blast has a somatic component directly in CA, without the errata..
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

14. - Top - End - #14

Looking back on the entry, I can see why it's confusing. On page 7 in the Weapon and Armor Proficiencies it's pretty clear that eldritch blast has a somatic component and is an invocation. But then it's just as clear on page 8 in the 'Invocations and Eldritch Blast' entry when it says that Eldritch Blast is *not* an invocation at all, but can be modified by them. It's very contradicting of itself.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

And then there's me. My mother was a witch (she was burned alive) and there's a demon or a 'loth even not too far back in my family tree. I'm a Warlock through and through. Blasting is my game, and I like to play. So what should I match up with in my gestalt, to ideally create a good synergy? What complements a Warlock's talents, and what other niches/roles can I accomplish with this character?
    Your character sounds like a rogue all right. And it compliments eldritch blasting. AND if there are only going to be the two of you, someone with skills might come in handy (at least if the spellcaster plays nice).
    If someone else is handling skillwork, and/or you think you can get by without them, the Sneak Attack Fighter might be better - larger hit die and full BAB.

Swordsage does the sneaky-role really well too. Don't think it's the best synergy ever (MAD issues and I am not use how legal it is to initiate strikes with Eldritch Blasts), but it is a solid class that's hard to mess up too badly.

Hexblades can do nasty things, but it can be a bit hard to pull off. If you like the cursing concept, google the class. See what it can do.

Spellthief is not the most powerful thing in the world, but it is fuuuun. And charisma-driven.
    Dipping it, taking the Master Spellthief feat and going into a full casting class would probably result in something more individually powerful, though.

If you somehow end up with a full casting class, consider the Unseen Seer PrC. Advances casting fully (although non-divination CL must either be sacrificed or compensated fo), the prereqs are easy in Gestalt and it adds damage to your eldritch blasts. Winwin.

Binder is good.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Binder, Dread Necromancer, Dragonfire Adept...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Ninja!

Think about it! Like a rogue, but you get to walk through walls to blast people using ki power!

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scaboroth View Post
    And then there's me. My mother was a witch (she was burned alive) and there's a demon or a 'loth even not too far back in my family tree. I'm a Warlock through and through.
    Are you evil?
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Leap Attack Shock Trooper fighter // Hideous Blow Warlock

Invocation: Hideous Blow

Weapon: Great Sword
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

20. - Top - End - #20

Binder is pretty fluffy and is a good synergy. Rogue was mentioned already.

You could also look for a more martial bend, a Ranger will give you full BAB and some extra skill points and feats should you get up close.

Recently resurrected. Sorry for bailing on you guys.

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"
    Awesome OOTSatar by Crimmy, masterfully done.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

you could go with a:
    strongheart halfling warlock 18/chameleon 2 (optional, but that bonus feat gives you lots of options)//rouge 1-2/ranger 1/scout 17-18
    with those swift hunter and swift ambusher, for full sneak attack damage, and full skirmish ability, since EB is a standard action, you turn invisible, fly, move, and snipe the opponents to death with 8d6 EB+5d6 skirmish (against favored enemies, even if they are normally immune, and +5 to AC)+10d6 sneak attack damage. the chameleon bonus feat would get you a different invocation every day, and the ability to make any item any time you want with the UMD check, and any kind you want.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

i second the leap attack idea.
    but go psi warrior for psionic weapon
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Consider Scout - it gives you Skirmish bonuses, which synergize well with Eldritch Blast (standard action). It also gives you a few passive bonuses like + initiative, + reflex, + speed (big one, Fell Flight gives you your land speed as fly speed, unlike Fly spell), trapfinding, good set of skills, evasion, a few feats, everything that synergizes with Warlock.

I'm talking about real efficiency here - I'm playing one in an arena game myself.
    Last edited by Eloel; 2009-09-23 at 09:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

IMHO it depends from the other party members. Since you'll be a lot buffet, I'd go with direct nuke building a Meleer // Glaivelock

Alternatively, since the mere amount of spells of your buddy should allow it, Rogue // Warlock and play like a two - member SWAT.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm surprised that no mentioned this, but you could always go Sorcerer // Warlock for the Charisma synergy, and as levels progress, go something like:

Warlock 4/Binder 1/Eldritch Theurge 10/Hellfire Warlock 3 // Sorcerer 4/Swordsage2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Swordsage +4

Get a huge load of maneuvers, lots of blast from sorcerer and eldritch blast, huge caster level on your sorcerer spells, and go Glaivelock so you can use your eldritch glaive with maneuvers. Get 9th spells (CL22), dark invocations (CL17, I'd take practiced spellcaster here), 9th level maneuvers (IL 18th). Take the binder level for the Grinning Hound vestige (Naeberius or something like that) to regenerate ability damage, and the Hellfire warlock for crazy damage boosts. Enjoy.

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2009-09-23 at 10:43 AM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

26. - Top - End - #26

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thanks everybody for all the interesting ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    Are you evil?
    Well, yeah. I just didn't want to advertise it. But yes, I'm chaotic evil. However, it's the "I gets mine and nobody stands in my way" kind of evil, not so much the "murders puppies while listening to Ronnie James Dio" kind of evil.

I'm very much liking the idea of adding in the skill set of a very verstaile/mobile class. So Rogue, possibly mixing with Ranger or Scout or even Swordsage, is looking very attractive. An evil Warlock//Ninja (Ghostface Killer?) sounds downright wicked.

And then there's the straight-up Damage Output builds. Psychic Warrior is intriguing - would the Psionic Weapon feat work with an Eldritch Glaive? How about Hideous Blow? A leaping/charging Barbarian also has possibilities, but I was kinda hoping to play someone a bit more Charisma-driven and sophisticated. So far as I know, class "features" which are actually restrictions, such as Barbarian's illiteracy or the Paladin code, still apply in gestalt rules, right?

And then there are the more bizarre, multifunctional ideas. Psion, Dread Necro, Dragonfire Adept... I'm not sure what to make of that. And strangest of all, the Binder. Ah, the Binder. Such a juicy class, so much to consider. I really like how the class concept synergizes with Warlock, but I'm not sure how well they would actually play together. There are so many options that it might be overwhelming, especially considering I'm jumping into this character at middle levels, instead of organically growing him from 1st level. I'm definitely not ruling it out, but it would involve a whole lot more research than I'm used to. But homework isn't necessarily bad, if I can get it to really pay off with some sweet combos.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, that relies on the Dm allowing Dual progression, which is frankly insane. Even if they do allow the class, they usually only allow it to progress one of the sides.

28. - Top - End - #28

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Well, I'm surprised that no mentioned this, but you could always go Sorcerer // Warlock for the Charisma synergy, and as levels progress, go something like:

Warlock 4/Binder 1/Eldritch Theurge 10/Hellfire Warlock 3 // Sorcerer 4/Swordsage2/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Swordsage +4
    One of the few things DM does enforce as far as gestalt rules go is that no "multi-casting" PrCs are allowed. But if it was allowed... wow. That build really tries to squeeze every last drop of juice out, doesn't it?

Edit: Dual progression! That's the term I was trying to think of. Thanks, Tavar!
    Last edited by Scaboroth; 2009-09-23 at 11:01 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

In a little box, inside a mad wizard´s hat

If you are human I would say something like:

Rouge 3 / Swashbuckler 3 / Fgtr 1 / Telflammar Shadowlord 6/Assasin X
    // Warlock X

(Telflammar Shadowlord is from shining south)

The hilarious thing you do is shadowpounce using "flee the scene" invocation from the warlock. Notice that, when you use the invocation, you leave behind a silent image... so you could flank with the image and make the sneak attack damage on every attack... plus the EB damage as an touch attack... I like it... a lot

The last levels I put assasin for flavor, but is not mandatory

I highly recomend retrain the feats you need to cualify for Telflammar Shadowlord as soon as posible (you teleport around the battle field, why would you need spring attack or mobility?)

Feats:
    H.Dodge
    1.Movility
    3.Blind-figth
    12. Quiken SLA (flee the scene)

SWS 1. Weapon finesse
    FGTR 1.Spring attack

You`ll need a good dex score and of course good int (skillpoints and int to damage from swashbuckler).

If your DM is OK, take the feat from Monster manual to make your EB a Supernatural Ability (no SR or disruption)
    Last edited by Thorin; 2009-09-23 at 10:59 AM.
    Three words that will save your ass from a lot of situations:

"Will", "Fortitude" and "Reflexes"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scaboroth View Post
    Well, yeah. I just didn't want to advertise it. But yes, I'm chaotic evil. However, it's the "I gets mine and nobody stands in my way" kind of evil, not so much the "murders puppies while listening to Ronnie James Dio" kind of evil.
    Awww, I was just expecting "Am I evil? I'am man, yes I am" answer.

It's good that you want to be evil in the way that makes sense, of course.

Anyway, I don't know much about Warlock, but wouldn't some ranger/assasin spells from spell compendium work well with it - the one that removes penalty for distance for example?
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2009-09-23 at 10:59 AM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.