New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Programmer

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default The Programmer

I just had an idea. If you're an 18th level caster, you can cast spells of up to 6th level into a contingency. Your contingency can have contingency in it. at this level. This is basically the definition of an IF statement in programming. A clever trick would be to use Divine Metamagic to twin your contingencies, resulting in an IF - ELSE logic. For example: Contingency: If I am attacked -> Twinned contingency -> If I say 1 -> Fireball; Else Cone of Cold.

This is just a very basic example, but I'm thinking that with liberal use of Craft Contingent Spell and twinned contingency (possibly a lot of arcane thesis/easy metamagic for contingency), we could write a contingency program that would render a wizard immune to all forms of attack (and hold enough contingencies to replace the used up spells). The main problem I see with this is that anything EVER would blow the contingency, so a contingency would have to be set to reset the contingency, and we're all no doubt very confused at this point.

Using the standard metamagic shenanigans, I believe that an Incantatrix can apply a twin effect to a contingency spell that has already been cast. So let's start with that. You make twinned contingent contingencies, each filled with twinned contingencies. This doesn't do a whole lot except make whatever you filled your contingency with happen twice.

Does anyone have any idea on how to make this work? I don't, but I do find it rightly hilarious.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Default Re: The Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by woodenbandman View Post
    Using the standard metamagic shenanigans, I believe that an Incantatrix can apply a twin effect to a contingency spell that has already been cast.
    Wouldn't do any good, it would still just dispel the first one. With twinned contingencies it's pretty much DM fiat what happens anyway ... personally I'd say 50% random chance of one getting applied and the other simply gets dispelled before it's condition is even checked. Besides, twin duplicates the entire spell ... can't choose different conditions/results.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2009-09-25 at 01:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I've had similar ideas. While I'd never use them on a PC, I think this would be a great way to make a villain. The PCs will have to fight/research/fool him several times over to gather enough info on his contingent program. Then they have the logic puzzle of actually beating it.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

As a programmer, I _love_ this idea.

However, PinkysBrain sounds correct to me. From the contingency description:
    The contingency spell and the companion spell are cast at the same time. ... You can use only one contingency spell at a time; if a second is cast, the first one (if still active) is dispelled.
    Twin might be allowed via fiat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

a twinned contingency would do the same thing twice. That seems a legitimate enough use to me. A twinned contingency to "cast delayed blast fireball on my location if i'm attacked in melee" is really no different than a contingency to "cast a twinned delayed blast fireball on my location if i'm attacked in melee". With enough metamagic shenanigans, though, you ought to be able to twin both the contingency and its encapsulated spell - so you could have a twinned contingency to case a twinned delayed blast fireball, dropping 60d6 of damage on you if you're attacked in melee (we'll assume that you've prepared fire immunity in advance )

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The difference is that delayed blast fireball says nothing about dispelling itself.

7. - Top - End - #7

ElfMonkGuy

I'm sure there are other ways to get multiple contingencies in there. Still, this looks to open a whole new level of Batman...
    Give me any character, and I will give you a freeform conversion.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

This is awesome. Someone find a way to create a While loop, and DMs across the globe will be driven mad.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Complete Arcane, page 77. Craft Contingent Spell, it's a feat. Make as many contingencies as you want, no additional hoops to jump through.

And yes, it's as broken as it sounds.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Complete Arcane, page 77. Craft Contingent Spell, it's a feat. Make as many contingencies as you want, no additional hoops to jump through.

You can make as many as you want, but each creature can only be under the effects of 1 contingency per HD at a time.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

11. - Top - End - #11

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    You can make as many as you want, but each creature can only be under the effects of 1 contingency per HD at a time.
    level 18 gives us 18 contigencies to work with.

So the question becomes "What can you do with 18 spells cast at the exact same time?" I would say.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

contingency, if I am injured, cast timestop / celerity...
    You win. now add another 17 contingencies...
    I love the programming idea but the problem is that a contingency requires another spell cast at the same time, you can contingency a twinned spell, but if you twin the contingency spell itself one will take, and the other will fail (because you only have one spell), maybe with a quicken you could do that but it makes more sense to just cast two separate ones.

if you could develop an if statement contingency it will be interesting, and a great foundation for a magitec technological and industrial revolution.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-25 at 07:31 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post

No, broken is that each one is a "persistent magical effect" and is thus a valid target for Metamagic Effect. NOW you twin it. Again and again. Int+3 (I think) per day, as many times as you want, with a couple of "reinstalls" so to speak.

EDIT : Ok, so 40 at 20th level. Each is only a single spell, after all ;)
    Last edited by KellKheraptis; 2009-09-25 at 07:35 PM.
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    This is awesome. Someone find a way to create a While loop, and DMs across the globe will be driven mad.
    Not me - I'd love it. The caster would for sure forget the exit condition. Wasn't there a movie about that? Somehting about "thank you"?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skorj View Post
    Not me - I'd love it. The caster would for sure forget the exit condition. Wasn't there a movie about that? Somehting about "thank you"?
    Depends...if they've ever written anything in coding language, you may end up with an overcomplicated Twice Betrayer of Shar, minus the betraying and Shar.
    "I live apart from you

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

oh wow, I can just see the DM responding like that...
    DM: "ok you have used 18 different contingency loops... to protect yourself against everything... roll on your "craft (programming language)" skill"
    PC: My what skill?
    DM: right... i thought so, roll an int check...
    PC: rolls
    DM: oooh, too bad, looks like you had some bugs in your program, lets roll for result...

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    oh wow, I can just see the DM responding like that...
    DM: "ok you have used 18 different contingency loops... to protect yourself against everything... roll on your "craft (programming language)" skill"
    PC: My what skill?
    DM: right... i thought so, roll an int check...
    PC: rolls
    DM: oooh, too bad, looks like you had some bugs in your program, lets roll for result...
    Contingent Limited Wish~>PsyRef full ranks in Craft (Computer Program)
    "I live apart from you

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Obviously Contigencies use Pointers. All you need is a few bugs and BAM Seg-Fault

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Even with craft programming, you still can roll 1... 18 contingencies a day, thats 18 rolls... 5% or better chance of failure per roll, you are bound to make a mistake.

so... with this in mind... lets come up with some RESULTS for contingency programming bugs...

what will happen with an infinite loop? how about division by zero?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    Even with craft programming, you still can roll 1... 18 contingencies a day, thats 18 rolls... 5% or better chance of failure per roll, you are bound to make a mistake.

so... with this in mind... lets come up with some RESULTS for contingency programming bugs...

what will happen with an infinite loop? how about division by zero?
    Um...I don't think rolling a 1 is an autofail on a skill check, only an attack roll or save.
    "I live apart from you

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Obviously Contigencies use Pointers. All you need is a few bugs and BAM Seg-Fault
    Is that when your body gets segmented and it's your own fault?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Is that when your body gets segmented and it's your own fault?
    ha, it is if the spell was of the teleportation variety.

23. - Top - End - #23

HalfOrcPirate

I so do want to create a while loop. Something like "While I am within sight of X (Designated by an if statement), cast X spell every round."

What about... Contingent Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion? Make **** up as you go.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Even better, we need a complier. This, of course, would be an item that makes item's call programs which gives you infinite uses of your If statement
    Last edited by Gralamin; 2009-09-25 at 09:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I so do want to create a while loop. Something like "While I am within sight of X (Designated by an if statement), cast X spell every round."

What about... Contingent Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion? Make **** up as you go.
    how would that work? it casts the spell once, and then the contingency is expanded, why would it give you infinite spells?

26. - Top - End - #26

PirateGuy

For extra credit, prove Turing-completeness of Vancian casting.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

27. - Top - End - #27

HalfOrcPirate

Well Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion is apparently a 7th level spell that casts a 7th level spell and a 4th level spell. which leads to infinite spells.

What about contingency -> Sanctum Twinned Limited Wish, one wishing for the spell you want, one wishing for another contingency?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Well Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion is apparently a 7th level spell that casts a 7th level spell and a 4th level spell. which leads to infinite spells.

What about contingency -> Sanctum Twinned Limited Wish, one wishing for the spell you want, one wishing for another contingency?
    question, does the arcane fusion not expressly forbid the 7th level spell being cast from being itself?

because otherwise you would just cast one greater arcane fusion which casts a GAF + 4th which casts a GAF + 4th, repeat infinity. or at least till end of battle.

Forget programming a contingency loop, just the use of infinite at will 4th level spells seems broken as hell.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-27 at 02:09 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

It seems to me that spell slots would be a real concern with this type of casting. Barring the idea that you somehow have infinite spell slots(at which point, you have enough power that this sort of thing is mostly unnecessary), you'd rather quickly nova through your available spells.

Still useful, sure, but it comes at a price.

I like the idea of magical computing, though...Lets see, if we expand it to a multi-caster idea, it might still be possible. Given enough high level casters with enough contingencies, you certainly could make a processor of sorts, albeit one still limited in speed by the amount of available total slots per day.

And of course, coding errors will be hilarious.

30. - Top - End - #30

Is it turing complete?

Where is the Jump/loop?
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?