New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Has anyone noticed this line in Spell Storing rings?

"A spellcaster can cast any spells into the ring, so long as the total spell levels do not add up to more than three". This includes personal spells.

Cast a personal spell into it and give it to the fighter, they have access to a personal spell without casting or UMD and I think that personal spells can't be put in potions that don't require casting (purposefully).

How can you abuse this?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2009-09-29 at 06:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Has anyone noticed this line in Spell Storing rings?

Tenser's Transformation?

I wouldn't allow it, but it is a known trick.

3. - Top - End - #3

Tenser's is not a spell of third level or lower.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Greater version has up to 10th level (epic...)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Isn't there a metamagic that lowers a spell's effective level? I think Sanctum Spell had something like that, but I doubt it worked exactly in that fashion..
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the idea of spellstoring rings used en masse as buffing tools. Say you have a party of 5. 5 low-level buffs (I dunno, call them haste, mass aid, good hope, magic circle, prayer) go on in the same round, instead of 5 rounds, and -then- you charge in.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

True Strike? Wraith Strike?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shield Other?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spend 1000 gp at Boccob's Reading Room (100 gp/spell level) and load a mythal in one >.> Oh yeah, and it's instantaneous. So you only ever need to use it once :D
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Floating Disk?

what? D:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    I like the idea of spellstoring rings used en masse as buffing tools. Say you have a party of 5. 5 low-level buffs (I dunno, call them haste, mass aid, good hope, magic circle, prayer) go on in the same round, instead of 5 rounds, and -then- you charge in.
    So that's what the planeteers where using!
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    Heh, it's like the entire War Weaver PrC for the low-low price of 250,000 gp! >.>

Quote Originally Posted by KellKheraptis View Post
    Spend 1000 gp at Boccob's Reading Room (100 gp/spell level) and load a mythal in one >.> Oh yeah, and it's instantaneous. So you only ever need to use it once :D
    What's "Mythal"? Second time in two days I've seen reference to it, but I don't know it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    What's "Mythal"? Second time in two days I've seen reference to it, but I don't know it.
    Something from Forgotten Realms, I think. I dunno, I don't really pay attention to setting specific stuff.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    An ancient human race in the forgotten realms used them to cleave off the tops of mountains and use them to make cities fly. A wizard of said race killed the god of magic with a spell.

They're that kind of powerful.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey is it just me or did they forget to say a 0th level spell takes up half a slot. Abusive idea coming on... Hey we can lower a spells actual level too can't we with sanctum spell. Never run out of magic missles again.

(I don't think all the spells happen at the same time though. Otherwise... rays of frost.)
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh* A mythal is NOT what the Netherese used to cut off mountaintops and make them fly. That is a device called a mythallar, named in honor of the more ancient mythal.

A mythal is a unique type of epic spell (no really, it has it's own epic seed) that is characterized by:
    -covering a city
    -being permanent
    -having numerous lesser effects tied to it
    -typically, requires attunement to it so as to ignore it's baneful effects, though this is not universal

Mythals are from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, and are the foremost acknowledgements of Elven High Magic.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
    An ancient human race in the forgotten realms used them to cleave off the tops of mountains and use them to make cities fly. A wizard of said race killed the god of magic with a spell.

They're that kind of powerful.
    Um, isn't that a Mythallar? (which is a crystal orb that allows the direct use of raw magic to create quasi-magical effects, such as the powering of flying cities)

A mythal is, to quote the wiki, "a powerful epic level magical effect, created . . . to protect and ward a large area with numerous powerful enchantments. They work by creating an area wherein the normal rules of magic no longer apply"

EDIT: Ninja'd - by a better explanation none-the-less
    Last edited by Tarvus; 2009-09-29 at 10:19 PM.
    You think Tucker's Kobolds were bad, now imagine them with Rust Monster Mounts. Oh and they're druids, that use wooden armor. Thank-you and Have a Nice Day

Libris Mortis isn't as bad latin as people say.

Terrible Winterwolf Slayer avatar by myself. Check out the others on my extended signature.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    *sigh* A mythal is NOT what the Netherese used to cut off mountaintops and make them fly. That is a device called a mythallar, named in honor of the more ancient mythal.

A mythal is a unique type of epic spell (no really, it has it's own epic seed) that is characterized by:
    -covering a city
    -being permanent
    -having numerous lesser effects tied to it
    -typically, requires attunement to it so as to ignore it's baneful effects, though this is not universal

Mythals are from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, and are the foremost acknowledgements of Elven High Magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvus View Post
    Um, isn't that a Mythallar? (which is a crystal orb that allows the direct use of raw magic to create quasi-magical effects, such as the powering of flying cities)

A mythal is, to quote the wiki, "a powerful epic level magical effect, created . . . to protect and ward a large area with numerous powerful enchantments. They work by creating an area wherein the normal rules of magic no longer apply"

EDIT: Ninja'd
    You know, Forgotten Realms epic magic make so much more sense now. Thanks.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    "A spellcaster can cast any spells into the ring, so long as the total spell levels do not add up to more than three". This includes personal spells.

Cast a personal spell into it and give it to the fighter, they have access to a personal spell without casting or UMD and I think that personal spells can't be put in potions that don't require casting (purposefully).

How can you abuse this?
    Glyph Seals (MIC p. 161) are easier to abuse. Heckuva lot cheaper, too. Key the seal to a pocket/pouch/bandoleer where you store ammunition or spell components. Opening a pocket to draw ammunition or a spell component is a free action, so triggering the seal is a free action. Get lots of pockets, put a glyph seal on each one.

Glyph Seals are limited to 2nd level and lower spells, but Greater Glyph Seals can store any 5th level spell or higher (there's an odd gap of 3rd and 4th level spells). There's some wonkiness to contend with, however... Glyph of Warding specifies only "harmful" spells can be cast into a spell glyph (but doesn't define harmful... cure spells "harm" undead, right?). However, the Glyph Seal description specifies "any arcane or divine spell" can be cast into it, which would appear to supercede the Glyph of Warding text. Any spell would also include personal range, so you could load yourself up with self-buffs.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
    You know, Forgotten Realms epic magic make so much more sense now. Thanks.
    Sure. It's fascinating stuff really, and I like sharing it.

As for the Spell Storing rings, well, it seems like that was probably an intended use, so that the casters can share the awesome with the melees. On a side note, if someone activates a Spell Storing ring that has a Fireball in it, does the spell center on them? Same with Haste?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

A classic use is to have a monk with the ring buff with divine power and shield.
    Full BAB without the need to houserule, and a rare opportunity for the monk to get as shield bonus. Both uses core even.

- Giacomo

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post
    A classic use is to have a monk with the ring buff with divine power and shield.
    Full BAB without the need to houserule, and a rare opportunity for the monk to get as shield bonus. Both uses core even.

- Giacomo
    I would dispute that this is "classic".

"Classic" would be the iconic things.

Wildshaped druids nomnomnoming everything.
    CoDzillas using divine power, rather than monks expecting a cleric 4th slot and a Wizard 1.
    Mind Flayers Illithids taking that mind, and flayin' it.

Those are classic.

Monk with that? Would qualify more as "eccentric" use of the power. That's not necessarily bad. But it's not commonplace, or classic.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-09-30 at 12:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Well, it would certainly be a classic in these parts, if only it were possible to buy a partially-charged spell storing ring.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

This is a known exploit. I used it to make AfroAkuma very unhappy when my barbarian inexplicably had persisted spells on him, and was carrying a contingency effect as well. Don't think small! Don't bother with shield and similar trivialities! Go big! Body of War Big! :)
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-09-30 at 01:09 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    [...] Glyph of Warding specifies only "harmful" spells can be cast into a spell glyph (but doesn't define harmful... cure spells "harm" undead, right?). However, the Glyph Seal description specifies "any arcane or divine spell" can be cast into it, which would appear to supercede the Glyph of Warding text. Any spell would also include personal range, so you could load yourself up with self-buffs.
    That is quite a wonky ordeal, but it might not fly over too well. Somehow, some strain of logic in my head states that if the spell isn't harmful to the target, it wouldn't be triggered. So only an undead would trigger a Cure spells, while a living creature couldn't. You could technically resist and choose to autofail, but the effects aren't harmful.

Argh! My brain hurts.
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Glyph seals work, unfortunately. It specifically says you can load in any spell. I was the one who found them over on 339 a while ago.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-09-30 at 02:34 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post

- Giacomo
    Tenser's transformation seems better.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Sure. It's fascinating stuff really, and I like sharing it.
    Indeed. For those interested, the epic seed "Seed: Mythal" is described in Lost Empires of Faerun (along with the Seed: Shadow, my dear gnomes..).

The book is filled of artifact (Netherscrolls) and with a new kind of item, the Scepter (something between a staff and a wand).

More, there are few not overpored but strange, intersting spell (like the 9 level one that allows you to "play" with am enemy caster countering him.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

can it release all spells at once? at an enemy target?
    3 magic missiles at once...
    or 10 at once for greater ring version...

Isn't a demilich immune to, well, practically everything BUT magic missile?
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    can it release all spells at once?
    Nope. Minimum time to get a spell out is one standard action.

Isn't a demilich immune to, well, practically everything BUT magic missile?
    "Magic Immunity (Ex)

Demiliches are immune to all magical and supernatural effects, except as follows. A shatter spell affects a demilich as if it were a crystalline creature, but deals half the damage normally indicated. A dispel evil spell deals 3d6 points of damage (Fort save for half damage). Holy smite spells affect demiliches normally. "

They also get Epic Magic.