New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default When Completing a Quest isn't worth the Cost

Give some example of when completing the Quest isn't worth the cost.

I don't have time to post what happened in the game i played to night, but lets just say:
    I go back to the monarch (my Monarch) of the Autumn Court, slap the dreamfile on tyhe table (taking no care wether i smash it or not) and say "Here's your god damn dreamfile, it's wasn't worth the cost I paid for it! Not by a far, not by a longshot... Gods all damn me, I deserive it for I am damned."
    Last edited by oxinabox; 2009-09-30 at 11:32 AM.
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: When Completing a Quest isn't worth the Cost

Why wasn't it worth the cost?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I made a side-quest, and it didn't really prove to be worth the trouble for the party.

There were two lumberjacks staring at a big tree, and a Dryad (Evil) who was pretending to be accosted by the two men.

The idea here was that the party was supposed to find out what was really going on.

The lumberjacks (not the brightest guys) had heard that the tree they were staring at was full of gold, and if they chopped it down, they would get all the shiny gold.

The dryad wanted them (The lumberjacks) to die, but thought it would be much more interesting if she persuaded the party to do it.

So, when the scout of the party saw two lumberjacks staring at the tree, and the dryad "helplessly" trying to stop the lumberjacks. The scout ran in with the party wizard in tow and killed the lumberjacks without so much as a word.

Please note that the lumberjacks had not done anything, and had just been staring at the tree with awe and wonder the entire time.

Of course, the lumberjacks didn't go down without a fight, and nearly killed both the wizard and the scout, and all they got was a "Thank you" from the dryad.

Later on they find out that the tree really DID have gold in it, when that same Dryad took a bunch of shiny objects from the scout in return for a short teleport across a once-crossable bridge.

So in short, the quest cost them items, and they are wanted for murder. (No doubt the dryad will get much enjoyment about reporting the deaths of the lumberjacks to the local towns)

Such an evil creature.
    Just by viewing these eggs, you are helping to hatch them!

I literally have no idea what kind of dragon will hatch.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

My party knew a kind smith who lived in a land ruled by an iron-fist baron but plagued by a rebellion led by an anarchistic knight. When we found out that the smith's family had been killed by the knight and his uprising, we sided with the baron, then learned that these two sides were no better than each other and basically a question of personal ethics (that the characters didn't agree on, causing a lot of IC conflict). In the end, the kind smith returned and fought both the knight and the baron, and things were really epic and confusing.

Then, our (already mentally unstable) sorcerer snapped and sent a Fireball right at the rest of the party (who were fighting the knight), leading to even more conflict. In the end, one character left the party in anger, the sorcerer became even more unstable, and the rest of the party are still quite uneasy with each other.

Yeah... It was pretty awesome
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TelemontTanthul View Post
    There were two lumberjacks staring at a big tree, and a Dryad (Evil) who was pretending to be accosted by the two men.
    Oh, so you stole your quest from Baldur's Gate, huh?

6. - Top - End - #6

It seems to me that any premade adventure is never worth it, as my group spends more money on expendable items than we get back in the end (mostly cure light wounds wands and a few scrolls or potions). I don't know why but published adventures always seem to be a little stingy on the treasure.
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    I don't know why but published adventures always seem to be a little stingy on the treasure.
    I find that quote so funny, so ironic, because historically the published adventures literally threw magic at you compared to any regular D&D campaign.

I don't know if the modules have changed any (I don't see them being very different, but I haven't done a statistical analysis of magic item availability). I think instead that the DM's campaigns and the player's expectation has changed, so that magic is now so much more available, while the modules are still providing 1980 levels of magic in them.

People used to complain about how there was so many magic items in modules; now they complain there aren't enough. Ironic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarawara View Post
    I find that quote so funny, so ironic, because historically the published adventures literally threw magic at you compared to any regular D&D campaign.

I don't know if the modules have changed any (I don't see them being very different, but I haven't done a statistical analysis of magic item availability). I think instead that the DM's campaigns and the player's expectation has changed, so that magic is now so much more available, while the modules are still providing 1980 levels of magic in them.

People used to complain about how there was so many magic items in modules; now they complain there aren't enough. Ironic.
    That's because high powered games soon became the norm. Nowadays it's a shock to play "core only" because it's so hard to make thinks "effective" and by that, "optimized".

I learned only a short while ago that you can play any class, and as along as everyone else isn't optimizing, you'll do just fine. If everyone is optimizing though, of course you will look weaker and be less effective against those things you face. Kinda of a strange double standard really...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As a general rule of thumb, as far as PC's are concerned. If the job doesn't pay enough to cover cost with at least enough left over to buy a round for all at the local pub, then its not worth it.

But ya, there was this one time with some vampires (2nd edition). By time we cleared the area most of us took 2-5 drained levels. In a world with no Gods (early experiement by the DM to test Dragonlance I think), we had no way to get our hands on Resteration...so ya, it sucked.
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"Steal a cub from a Giant Short Faced DIRE Bear and I'll pay you 10,000 gold." At level 7, this resulted in a very severe mauling for the party, with the wizard left on the verge of death and beaten on the head into mental retardation, the cleric, which was me beaten into a coma, the fighter traumatized and terrified of bears, and the rogue lost an arm. Granted the DM had house rules that allowed these effects, but still, I learned that fighting a huge bear with a base CR of 13 at level 7 is not fun at all. Especially since it had max hit dice, bumping up it's CR by a good deal. But it was fun.
    Last edited by Volkov; 2009-09-30 at 04:01 PM.
    "No extra charge!"

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Volkov View Post
    "Steal a cub from a Giant Short Faced DIRE Bear and I'll pay you 10,000 gold." At level 7, this resulted in a very severe mauling for the party, with the wizard left on the verge of death and beaten on the head into mental retardation, the cleric, which was me beaten into a coma, the fighter traumatized and terrified of bears, and the rogue lost an arm. Granted the DM had house rules that allowed these effects, but still, I learned that fighting a huge bear with a base CR of 13 at level 7 is not fun at all. Especially since it had max hit dice, bumping up it's CR by a good deal. But it was fun.
    Why didn't the Wizard prepare Grease? If he knew he was going up against an animal that has no Flight, he should have prepared it immediately.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Why didn't the Wizard prepare Grease? If he knew he was going up against an animal that has no Flight, he should have prepared it immediately.
    He thought invisibility would be enough to protect from scent.
    "No extra charge!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

silly wizzy

14. - Top - End - #14

-snip
    Hehe, I did the same thing, sort of, except that it was an NPC party of adventurers, whom had lost a friend to the Dryad and they were hunting it down. Although there was no becoming wanted for murder. How did anyone know they did it?

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

And he didn't prepare Ray of Stupidity?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

So in short, the quest cost them items, and they are wanted for murder. (No doubt the dryad will get much enjoyment about reporting the deaths of the lumberjacks to the local towns)
    This.

But hell, deny, deny, deny. The word of a (perhaps verifiably) evil dryad fey creature-thing versus a bunch of fellow humans. Don't underestimate their possible diplomancy.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

And he didn't prepare Ray of Stupidity?
    He didn't understand the scent rules very well so he thought some summon monsters spells would have been enough to ward the bear off as he believed he would not be spotted. The bear, well, won initiative and got the wizard first. After that it was all downhill.
    Last edited by Volkov; 2009-09-30 at 04:21 PM.
    "No extra charge!"

18. - Top - End - #18

He didn't understand the scent rules very well so he thought some summon monsters spells would have been enough to ward the bear off as he believed he would not be spotted. The bear, well, won initiative and got the wizard first. After that it was all downhill.
    He lost init? Please, at the very least, tell me he had Nerveskitter and it was just a bad roll...

Otherwise, he really kinda deserved it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

For not having Nerveskitter? Something like Ray of Stupidity jumps out as nice, but Nerveskitter has to be recast too often to make it a necessarily obvious choice.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    For not having Nerveskitter? Something like Ray of Stupidity jumps out as nice, but Nerveskitter has to be recast too often to make it a necessarily obvious choice.
    You don't need to recast it. It's an Immediate action spell that can be cast even while Flat-Footed. Just prepare 4, or have a wand of it readied. It's one of those spells every Wizard should have at least 2 of as soon as they have enough spell slots open.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acrux View Post
    Oh, so you stole your quest from Baldur's Gate, huh?
    weeeeellllll.... i DID switch it around to make it interesting.

But yes. I figured that traveling through a forest would have been boring if I hadn't planned a side-quest.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    This.

But hell, deny, deny, deny. The word of a (perhaps verifiably) evil dryad fey creature-thing versus a bunch of fellow humans. Don't underestimate their possible diplomancy.
    Well, the party will not be around to deny the Dryad's claims. AND the dryad has the two lumberjack bodies. In my campaign, dryads are generally good creatures, ya know, the kind that "turn the other cheek" when their homes are being chopped down.

I decided that this particular Dryad was fed up with that stereotype.

Thus, the towns will be none the wiser when the Dryad drags the lumberjack bodies into town and accuses the party of murder.

Besides, it's an interesting plot twist, because it allows someone to try and hire mercenaries to hunt down the party.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

He lost init? Please, at the very least, tell me he had Nerveskitter and it was just a bad roll...

Otherwise, he really kinda deserved it.
    We didn't have the book with that spell.
    "No extra charge!"

24. - Top - End - #24

We didn't have the book with that spell.
    Ok, that's excusable. I'm surprised it isn't in CArc. Makes me wonder where the Spell Compendium got it from.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The CR 20+ bear then went home with it's cub. And it cost us a pretty penny to get a high enough level cleric to fix us, as pretty much the only functional member of the party was the rogue, who managed to get a wooden prosthetic arm.
    "No extra charge!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the party will not be around to deny the Dryad's claims. AND the dryad has the two lumberjack bodies. In my campaign, dryads are generally good creatures, ya know, the kind that "turn the other cheek" when their homes are being chopped down.

I decided that this particular Dryad was fed up with that stereotype.

Thus, the towns will be none the wiser when the Dryad drags the lumberjack bodies into town and accuses the party of murder.

Besides, it's an interesting plot twist, because it allows someone to try and hire mercenaries to hunt down the party.
    Does she have some way to personally identify them? does she know their social security number or something? If an evil fay, even one considered "good" by most drags CORPSES into town and says" so and so did it", some suspicions should still be aroused... also i don't think a dryad can travel all that far from her tree anyways.

Really this just seems forced.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok, that's excusable. I'm surprised it isn't in CArc. Makes me wonder where the Spell Compendium got it from.
    Magic of Faerun, if I'm not mistaken.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Magic of Faerun, if I'm not mistaken.
    it is... it is called kauper's skittish nerves. Not nerve skitter. And it gives a +5 to initiative for 1 minute / level. to a touched target.. it has a verbal and somatic component, and it has a casting time of "1 action". which, contextually and looking at other spells in the book, seems to mean 1 standard action.

Quite frankly, this spell confuses me. Wasting a round in combat to increase your initiative does not seem wise, and a 1 minute / level is far too short a time period. I guess if you know you are going to do combat in the next minute it has some use...
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-30 at 05:37 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, firstly, the part knows none of this.

Secondly, they did identify themselves.

Something along the lines of:

Dryad: Oh you big strong heroes! What is your name? I MUST know the name of my rescuers.

Party: We are (Insert names here)

Finally, Dryads, while unable to SURVIVE long by being away from their tree, are physically capable of it.

And if it seems forced, it's probably because it is.

There is a ridiculous plan being set into motion. The members of the party expressed interest in becoming an evil adventuring party, and I told them that I would present them with choices, and those choices would decide if they are evil.

So now they are given another choice.

a. make ammends for the deaths of the lumberjacks
    b. make no ammends
    c. OTHER (We have some very unpredictable people in the party, so I have to keep my responses pretty flexible to their actions)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"Kauper's Skittish Nerves" or something like that is the basis for Nerveskitter.

Anyway, my party's catchphrase is "No more charity", said with a thousand yard stare.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.