New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Unglued Magic Items [4E]

Any of you who are familiar with Magic the Gathering know that the unglued set of magic cards were all complete jokes. Whether they were useless or obviously overpowered they were all funny. Post your ideas for an unglued magic item here.

Example:

Gloves of the Clumsy (Level 4)
    These worn leather gloves shine with imprinted runes. They channel the grace of a short lived acrobat.
    Level 4: 840gp
    Item Slot: Hands
    Power (Daily): Immediate interrupt. Trigger: You fail an acrobatics check. Effect: Reroll the check, use neither result.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Unglued Magic Items [4E]

Charm of the Drunken (Dungeon) Master
    Wondrous Item
    Level 1: $8.97 at Twin Liquors
    Gain a +1 item bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy checks for each liquid stain found on your character sheet, the battle mat, or coffee table. You must have bought booze tonight to gain this bonus.
    Power (Daily): The item teleports into the possession of the character belonging to the person who brought the beer for the session.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2009-10-06 at 11:04 PM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Breastplate of Charm DM.
    2 per day, convince the DM to make a ruling in your favor. "Attack was a crit for max" or "No those monsters actually decide to wait 5 minutes after you kill the dragon to attack you. And they make sure to not sneak up on you so you know to buff"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Eternal Bag of Universal Solvent.

...what?
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Colony character: Derek Johnson (retired)
    2e anybody? character: Maksil (retired)

5. - Top - End - #5

4e needs cursed items.

Sure, players can get unambiguously beneficial treasure, but that doesn't exactly complicate their lives.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-10-06 at 11:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gloves of Justifiability (level 2)
    Power(Daily): Immediate interrupt (and we do mean interrupt) Trigger: someone at the table begins to make poorly thought out comparisons between 4e and certain videogames using no evidence other than what they got from the bandwagon.

Target: 1 target in melee range
    Effect: Target is silenced (save ends)
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2009-10-06 at 11:52 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamminjelly View Post
    Any of you who are familiar with Magic the Gathering know that the unglued set of magic cards were all complete jokes. Whether they were useless or obviously overpowered they were all funny. Post your ideas for an unglued magic item here.

Example:

Gloves of the Clumsy (Level 4)
    These worn leather gloves shine with imprinted runes. They channel the grace of a short lived acrobat.
    Level 4: 840gp
    Item Slot: Hands
    Power (Daily): Immediate interrupt. Trigger: You fail an acrobatics check. Effect: Reroll the check, use neither result.
    Hmmm. I interpret that as saying, once a day, if you fail an acrobatics check, you don't make that check, You don't get the good results for succeeding, but you don't get the bad results for failing. It's like you never actually made the check. You have absolutely no chance to succeed, but also absolutely no chance to fail and fall to your death either. Would be useful for those situations where life throws you a one and losing an action isn't exactly damning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Hmmm. I interpret that as saying, once a day, if you fail an acrobatics check, you don't make that check, You don't get the good results for succeeding, but you don't get the bad results for failing. It's like you never actually made the check. You have absolutely no chance to succeed, but also absolutely no chance to fail and fall to your death either. Would be useful for those situations where life throws you a one and losing an action isn't exactly damning.
    The point is not for the items to be useless, just to be completely silly and not follow existing mechanics. Many of the Unglued cards were actually quite functional in play, and in some cases mechanically very good, they would just never make it into an actual MtG set.

Edit: In other words, don't over-analyze. Just go with the joke
    Last edited by Grynning; 2009-10-07 at 12:30 AM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post
    The point is not for the items to be useless, just to be completely silly and not follow existing mechanics. Many of the Unglued cards were actually quite functional in play, and in some cases mechanically very good, they would just never make it into an actual MtG set.
    The minotaur with Denimwalk comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Ring of Third Chances
    Power (Daily) Immediate interrupt. Trigger: You don't like the result of a reroll Effect: Reroll that reroll, and if you don't like that one, well then just reroll that one too. It's cool.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Gloves of the Munchies
    The fingertips of these leather gloves are always covered with a layer of yellowish-orange substance, which leave permanent marks on anything touched.
    Level 30: 3,125,000g OR 1 package of Oreos.
    Property: Whenever you force an enemy to move, he becomes covered in a strange, yellowish-orange substance and cannot do anything but try to remove it. (save ends)

Power (daily): Throw any snacks you are currently holding in your hands onto the table. Any figures knocked over by these snacks are slid to wherever they end up and take 8d6 + 30 damage. Any figures that fall off the table are removed from existence.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2009-10-07 at 12:47 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Shiny distracting coin (wondrous item, level 8)

Power (daily, immediate interrupt): throw a shiny distracting coin at the DM. The DM may make a saving throw to catch it; if he does, nothing happens. If he fails, while he is searching for the coin on the ground, you may rearrange the minis on the battlefield, but if it's too obvious you must pay for the pizza that night.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Shiny distracting coin (wondrous item, level 8)

Power (daily, immediate interrupt): throw a shiny distracting coin at the DM. The DM may make a saving throw to catch it; if he does, nothing happens. If he fails, while he is searching for the coin on the ground, you may rearrange the minis on the battlefield, but if it's too obvious you must pay for the pizza that night.
    This is also replicated by the 1st level human encounter power, "Hey! Look over there!"
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

For useless or silly magic items, it's easiest to just be VERY literal about items that already exist. For instance the mighty ring of jumping, which upon command... jumps twice it's height into the air. Yes, that's right... you can make a small piece of jewelry hop roughly an inch under it's own power.

Or a magic item I remember having show up in 2nd ed. The robe of blending! Now with two settings, puree and liquify. I also recall our party making an elaborate plan to trick a bad guy into wearing it. I also recall it not working.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Ring of ring of protection protection (Level 1)
    Power (Encounter) Effect: Negate the effects of all rings of protection until the end of your next turn.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bane of the Ancients
    Level 25

Property: This sword completely ignores the damage reduction of any Chaotic Good or Lawful Evil Outsider
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Sword of Balance (Level 5)
    Property: This weapon grants a +5 power bonus to all attack and damage rolls. This bonus is reduced by 1 ever time a player complains about the sword being overpowered.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post

Edit: In other words, don't over-analyze. Just go with the joke
    Sorry, over analyzing is part of my side to my sense of humour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Banhammer
    Level 25/30 Magic Item
    +5/+6
    Weapons: Hammers
    Property: Any Immortal or Elemental hit with an attack delivered by this hammer is banished (save ends). While banished, it must sit and skulk in a corner and consider its eternal life and the choices it has made. Gods or Primordials hit with this weapon take a -5 penalty to the saving throw, since they have a lot more to consider than anyone else.
    Power: Daily Use when this hammer's property activates. The target is actually banished, forever, to the middle of nothing.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    The minotaur with Denimwalk comes to mind.
    I remember that card. It earned an official apology direct from the WotC Card Design team for all players of MtG, because they unintentionally created a card that encouraged opponents to take their pants off.

21. - Top - End - #21

Bread of Wonder
    Level 1 Wondrous Item
    Property: Soft. Fluffy. Delicious.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Bane of the Ancients
    Level 25

Property: This sword completely ignores the damage reduction of any Chaotic Good or Lawful Evil Outsider
    This one is awesome.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Best card in the Unglued set was "The Ultimate Nightmare of Wizards of the Coast Customer Service". That and "Burning Cinder Fury of Crimson Chaos Fire".

That said, the Ring of Random Translocation. Anyone within 100 squares of the wearer who takes an action (any action) has their position switched with a random person also within 100 squares of the wearer. The wearer can be the one whose position is switched, and can activate the ring with actions. Anyone who does not take an action for one minute is dealt untyped damage equal to 15% of their max HP. Any items activated take effect, and then switch owners in a similar manner.

I can't believe I forgot the Infernal Spawn of Evil
    Last edited by Sholos; 2009-10-07 at 11:23 PM.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Odd Little Doll
    Property: While this item is in your possession, reroll any die that comes up with an odd result.
    Daily: Pretend an even number is odd, or an odd number is even.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2009-10-08 at 09:50 AM.