New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spell Thematics

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Spell Thematics

So, what's your favourite "theme" for your spells?

There's the obvious ones like lightning, skulls/bones and such, but does anyone have any particular favourites?

After a thread about Magic Missiles came up the other day, my new favourite has to be magic missiles as a theme; as silly as it might sound, if you think about it, it actually works remarkably well. Even stationary effects like the Wall spells can be represented by very fast moving magic missiles producing a de facto solid wall.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spell Thematics

Feathers, darkness, fire and swords/blades are common ones.

An unusual one I've seen used was wolves (the guy is a serious wolf fanatic).
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

What about water?

Fireball that looks like water?

wizard: "Oh no your you on fire, let me put that out."
    casts fireball of water.
    victem: "AHH! the water! it just makes it burn more!"
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Money. It was a wizard cult leader of a dead god of greed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Money. It was a wizard cult leader of a dead god of greed.
    I SO want to do this one now.

I had a caster who had every spell take shape from a pool of black goop in his backpack. Missiles and rays were gouts of the goop. Walls and summoned creatures flowed out and took shape, etc.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think the most amusing one I came up with was Spell Thematics: Hill Giants.
    Exploding Hill Giant Fireballs, Hill Giant Phantasmal Steed, etc.

It made for some of the silliest imagery I've had in a while.

On a more serious note:

Paintings: The wizard used a paintbrush, and would paint the spells into existence.

Paper: For anyone who has seen Read or Die.

Fire: For people who want to play a master of fire, but still use other energy types!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'd have to say Spell Thematics: Bad theathre props. For example:

- Grease: a gnome assistant throw a bucket of grease on the target area.
    - Bull's Strenght: mage puts stuffing inside her clothing.
    - Fireball: a gnome assistant runs to the target, and throws a bucket of yellow and red paper shredding all around him.
    - Mage Hand: the object moves, but you can see it hanging from small strings that move it.
    - Mage Armor: the mage puts on a cardboard box with holes for head and arms.
    - Mount: a wooden stick horse.
    - Summon monster: gnomes dressed in monster suits.
    - Enlarge person: a pair of stilts and oversized clothes.

And so on.
    "Summon two plutonium elementals and then have them high-five. Because the idea of two giants high-fiving and thereby causing a nuclear explosion is comical to me."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

1. Disguise Self
    2. Invisibility
    3. Major Image
    4. Shadow Conjuration
    5. Shadow Evocation
    6. Shadow Walk
    7. Shadow Conjuration, Greater
    8. Shadow Evocation, Greater
    9. Shades

This one is easy but effective for a Wizard.
    Upside is, you always get the right spell ready.
    Downside is, your spells will sometime fail and will cost higher slots than usual.
    This can also provide a sorcerer with a larger spell selection.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armar View Post
    I'd have to say Spell Thematics: Bad theathre props. For example:

- Grease: a gnome assistant throw a bucket of grease on the target area.
    - Bull's Strenght: mage puts stuffing inside her clothing.
    - Fireball: a gnome assistant runs to the target, and throws a bucket of yellow and red paper shredding all around him.
    - Mage Hand: the object moves, but you can see it hanging from small strings that move it.
    - Mage Armor: the mage puts on a cardboard box with holes for head and arms.
    - Mount: a wooden stick horse.
    - Summon monster: gnomes dressed in monster suits.
    - Enlarge person: a pair of stilts and oversized clothes.

And so on.
    That is awesome.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    1. Disguise Self
    2. Invisibility
    3. Major Image
    4. Shadow Conjuration
    5. Shadow Evocation
    6. Shadow Walk
    7. Shadow Conjuration, Greater
    8. Shadow Evocation, Greater
    9. Shades

This one is easy but effective for a Wizard.
    Upside is, you always get the right spell ready.
    Downside is, your spells will sometime fail and will cost higher slots than usual.
    This can also provide a sorcerer with a larger spell selection.
    Buh? What's the theme? Shadow magic? I wasn't asking for spell lists (though I guess you could theme your caster around a particular sub-set of spells), but rather for visual themes provided by the Spell Thematics feat...if you're unfamiliar with it, all it does (largely) is change the visual effect of all your spells to fit in with a particular theme...so if your theme was "shadows", regardless of what spell you cast, it will have some relation to shadows (but the effect remains the same): Fireball will be an explosion of shadowy darkness, Summoned monsters will emerge from a sinister patch of coalescing shadows, Bulls Strength might surround its recipient with a wreath of fortifying shadows, etc.

@Armar: That is awesome! I especially liked the Mage Hand one...you could of course extend that to higher forms of telekinesis and even potentially Hold/Dominate Person...I'm envisioning a number of strings attached to the target to make them look like a puppet who's had his strings cut (Hold Person) or being manipulated (Dominate)
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

11. - Top - End - #11

Johel probably had a misfire, too many tabs open.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Muffins and other sweet treats

Grease ---> cake batter
    black tentacles ---> giant liquorice
    fireball ---> a flying oven that opens its door at the enemies
    floating disc ---> an unusually sturdy crepe/pancake
    magic missile ---> magic muffin
    various buff spells ---> sugar high
    Someday I'll have my anxiety under control, but until then, I'm prone to sudden month-long disappearances.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw 'Chains' done once. Summons were attached to the caster by weird spectral leashes, Grease was a tangle of chains that tripped you up, Magic Missile was a nasty lash, Mage Armor was chains wrapped around his body, stuff like that.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    I saw 'Chains' done once. Summons were attached to the caster by weird spectral leashes, Grease was a tangle of chains that tripped you up, Magic Missile was a nasty lash, Mage Armor was chains wrapped around his body, stuff like that.
    Possibly inspired by the Dementia Summoner himself.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I had a friend who took Spell Thematics: Ki Powers. He was a sorcerer who called himself a monk. Lived a monastic lifestyle, acted monkly, had max ranks in Bluff, and really genuinely seemed to believe that he was a monk. It was pretty cool.

Oh, and then he fluffed Disrupt Undead as "Laser Eye Beams." It took a few minutes for us to stop laughing enough to finish that fight.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Muffins and other sweet treats

Grease ---> cake batter
    black tentacles ---> giant liquorice
    fireball ---> a flying oven that opens its door at the enemies
    floating disc ---> an unusually sturdy crepe/pancake
    magic missile ---> magic muffin
    various buff spells ---> sugar high
    I entirely approve. I myself was going to say "baked goods."

Fireball ---> giant exploding red velvet cake?

17. - Top - End - #17

Spell Thematics: Invisibility!

But Spell Thematics: Chickens has got to be the best legal one.

Alternatively, tiny blue gnomes. Yes, smurfs. Fireball creates 200 tiny blue gnomes with torches. Magic missile sends 1-5 levels tiny blue gnomes flying unerringly to kick your enemy's private parts. Sleep creates one tiny blue gnome over each target's neck, and the smurfs proceed to karate-chop your foes at exactly the same time. Dismissal creates 4 tiny blue gnomes dressed like the ghostbusters, who shoot the outsider with laser beams.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Film Noir:

* Magic Missile: Gunshots ring out from an unseen source.
    * Charm Person: Sorceress adopts mysterious, irresistible "femme fatale" attitude
    * Sleep: A hand reaches out from the shadows to thump enemies in the back of the neck
    * Dominate Person: Caster summons a manilla folder full of grainy blackmail photos
    * Locate Creature: Caster finds a matchbook which continuously displays the direction of the target creature's current position.
    * Contact Other Plane: Caster receives a mysterious phone call, unknown voice on the other end answers some questions in a threatening manner.
    * Confusion: Caster creates a MacGuffin at the center of the burst. All creatures suddenly break out into bizarre behavior out of a desire to possess/avoid/destroy the MacGuffin before others can.

EDIT:
    * Summon Monster (I-IX): Monsters appear as normal, but all are wearing dark trenchcoats and fedoras.
    Last edited by Lapak; 2009-10-07 at 01:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Buh? What's the theme? Shadow magic? I wasn't asking for spell lists (though I guess you could theme your caster around a particular sub-set of spells), but rather for visual themes provided by the Spell Thematics feat...if you're unfamiliar with it, all it does (largely) is change the visual effect of all your spells to fit in with a particular theme...so if your theme was "shadows", regardless of what spell you cast, it will have some relation to shadows (but the effect remains the same): Fireball will be an explosion of shadowy darkness, Summoned monsters will emerge from a sinister patch of coalescing shadows, Bulls Strength might surround its recipient with a wreath of fortifying shadows, etc.
    ...Ok, misfire indeed.
    I don't know the feat.
    I understood it as a list of spells that could work together to produce a specific theme. Hence the "all illusion" wizard.

20. - Top - End - #20

I CHOOSE YOU, UNICORN!
    Really, the spell description screams Pokeball.

Other favorites are Musical Notes for sonic spells, and phantasms of mimes walking against the wind for air spells.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Cleric of ST Cuthbert who was a thinly veiled Alexander Anderson clone had the theme of throwing knives, including his turning which was a barrage of them.

In the past my destruction spell has instead conjured pyramid head in all his skin-rippy glory.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Film Noir:

* Charm Person: Sorceress adopts mysterious, irresistible "femme fatale" attitude
    * Sleep: A hand reaches out from the shadows to thump enemies in the back of the neck
    * Dominate Person: Caster summons a manilla folder full of grainy blackmail photos
    * Locate Creature: Caster finds a matchbook which continuously displays the direction of the target creature's current position.
    * Contact Other Plane: Caster receives a mysterious phone call, unknown voice on the other end answers some questions in a threatening manner.
    * Confusion: Caster creates a MacGuffin at the center of the burst. All creatures suddenly break out into bizarre behavior out of a desire to possess/avoid/destroy the MacGuffin before others can.

EDIT:
    * Summon Monster (I-IX): Monsters appear as normal, but all are wearing dark trenchcoats and fedoras.
    Okay, this is win.

23. - Top - End - #23

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I have two:

Science Fiction!

* Various rays and missiles are fired from a very complex lockpick.
    * Summoned monsters are alien in appearance, and appear in a shimmering field.
    * Charm Person conjures a mind-control helmet that falls onto the victim's head.
    * Whisper conjures a communicator in your hand, which makes a chirping noise when you use it.
    * Planar travel is initiated by entering an absurdly spacious rectangular shack.
    * Fireball is delivered via orbital laser, even indoors.

Comic Book!

* Mage Armor outfits you in a distinctive red and yellow costume.
    * Web has a specific somatic component and always creates the sound *Fwip!* when cast.
    * The Flight spell requires that you always extend one arm forward while airborn.
    * Darkness takes the form of a swarm of bats.
    * Enlarge Person inexplicably colors the target's skin green.
    * Disguise Self conjures a thin black piece of fabric with holes cut out over your eyes. Or, alternatively, it changes your appearance to that of a merchant with spectacles.
    *You are struck by a harmless bolt of lightning every time you change forms using the Polymorph line of spells.
    Last edited by Toric; 2009-10-07 at 03:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    *You are struck by a harmless bolt of lightning every time you change forms using the Polymorph line of spells. Vaguely, the word "Shazam!" can be heard in the background.
    Sorta missed a vital bit there.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueKnightGuy

What about Love?

"Sure, they will laugh, they will all laugh. But who will laugh last when your raining death and destruction in the form of Hearts and Lollipops. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...hahahaha...hehehehehe...heh. ..sorry."
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    I CHOOSE YOU, UNICORN!
    Really, the spell description screams Pokeball.
    Ghost Sound: Ghastly appears and starts making weird sounds.
    Shield: Summon Shieldon to block attacks for you.
    Grease: Muk spits a puddle of goo at the ground to make enemies slip.
    Sleep: Butterfree! Use Sleep Powder!
    Hypnotism: Hypno! Hypnosis!
    Gust of Wind: Pidgeot! Whirlwind!
    Spectral Hand: Haunter appears and touches things for you.
    Lightning Bolt: A small yellow rat thing shoots lightning for you.
    Phantom Steed: Go! Rapidash!
    Telekinesis: Alakazam! Use Psychic!
    Polymorph: NOW I AM A POKEMON!!!
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

27. - Top - End - #27

I feel some poor taste is required for this thread.

Targeting Ray
    Spoiler
    Show

Disguise Self
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/fellow-engineer.jpg

Jump
    Spoiler
    Show

Alarm
    Spoiler
    Show

Meteor Swarm
    Spoiler
    Show

Grease and/or Glitterdust
    Spoiler
    Show

Crushing Despair
    Spoiler
    Show

Anticipate Teleportation
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to make bad jokes.

28. - Top - End - #28

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Film Noir:

EDIT:
    You win the game, pass start and collect seven internets.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    I feel some poor taste is required for this thread.

Targeting Ray
    Spoiler
    Show

Disguise Self
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/fellow-engineer.jpg

Jump
    Spoiler
    Show

Alarm
    Spoiler
    Show

Meteor Swarm
    Spoiler
    Show

Grease and/or Glitterdust
    Spoiler
    Show

Crushing Despair
    Spoiler
    Show

Anticipate Teleportation
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to make bad jokes.
    For the love of all thats geeky, TELL ME WHERE YOU FOUND THE METEOR STORM PIC!!!!!

p.s. plese
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

For a while I had a "Disco Mage". Everything from glitterdust to a mirror ball flaming sphere. Of course my DM killed him with rock (thrown from a giant).
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC