New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Pathfinder - Vancian Psionics

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuy View Post
    Dreamscarred Press is currently working on updating psionics to pathfinder (since Paizo has already said they're just going to convert it to a vancian system). They already have an alpha version of the wilder up for commenting, and you could easily go look at it for some ideas.
    So this came up in another thread,
    It's really worth discussing.
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Pathfinder - Vancian Psionics

I don't like the Vancian system for regular spellcasting. This idea sucks a rust monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I thought the strength of the 3.5 psionics system was that is was LESS Vancian than the magic system? If I were to design my own version of D&D 3E, I'd change the magic system to be more like psionics, not the other way around.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4

What I expect will happen is that they will introduce Psionics as a Vancian system and then introduce their own UA Spell Points system (hopefully better reflecting the exponential increase in power rather than a linear one) which will apply to both systems.

This would increase the Magic/Psionic transparency and streamline the two systems. Since Paizo seems to be interested in streamlining things, it would make a lot of sense.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Currently this rumor is apparently unverified and I am hoping it remains that way. I don't like Pathfinder, but some ideas are just beyond idiotic.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Yeah I'll agree that the whole point of psionics was to be not vancian...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

But even in 3.5 psionics, you got spell points/day - isn't that Vancian in of itself?
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    But even in 3.5 psionics, you got spell points/day - isn't that Vancian in of itself?
    ...No, that's a daily reserve of abilities. While something of a related concept, it is only tangentially so. The important part about Vancian casting is that it is in discrete (rather than gradated) levels and centers around 'word magic', the memorization of a complex string of arcane words which have inherent power in the universe and have a coherent will and existence of their own.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Not really? Pretty much every game with mana or mp has a certain amount that you have that can be recovered by resting.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Vancian, after all is the classic "fire-and-forget." So, technically, spontaneous casters aren't completely Vancian. Same goes for psionic classes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

My searches are not coming up with anything that corroborates the quote in the OP. Of course, then I only made a few quick searches. I might be missing something.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

12. - Top - End - #12

The quote is from over in the Paizo boards. I saw it myself the other day. Although, for the life of me, I can't find it myself right now.
    Last edited by Mauril Everleaf; 2009-10-26 at 11:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

ugh... the vanacian system is the worst magic system ever conceived...
    And psionics is only good because its not vanacian...
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I dunno. Psionics is pretty darned awesome.

It could be better...

...somehow...

...but IT'S OVER 9000!!! times better than Vancian casting ever was...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Vancian" spellcasting is "uses per spell level per day based on character level", not "uses per day based on character level".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

If this rumor is true, I think it moves Pathfinder from "Intense Dislike" to "Try to destroy it". Vancian Psionics is basically saying "Lets get rid of everything good about psionics and make it mediocre."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    If this rumor is true, I think it moves Pathfinder from "Intense Dislike" to "Try to destroy it". Vancian Psionics is basically saying "Lets get rid of everything good about psionics and make it mediocre absolute crap."
    Fixéd that for you.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-10-27 at 12:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    Fixéd that for you.
    I was trying to maybe give it half a chance. Obviously I was mistaken.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    I was trying to maybe give it half a chance. Obviously I was mistaken.
    "Obviously mistaken." Thou art quite the master of understatement, my dear Gralamin.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-10-27 at 12:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Look on the bright side, if they make it exactly like Wizard or Sorcerer casting, we won't have to deal with the "OMGOVARPOWERRRRRED!!!!" crew in this edition at least.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Wow....wow..... the PF crew is more inept than I originally thought they were.

22. - Top - End - #22

Oh good lord.

I think PF tries, I really do. I think they're occasionally misguided, and I'd rather just houserule on my own, but I do think they're trying. This, though, this is just... words do not exist to explain how stupid this idea is. Gah.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

23. - Top - End - #23

No... just no...

The psionics system is so much better than the vancian system. The only thing they have against them is a bad rep from 3.0 and a terrible Complete X book.

As mentioned, if I were to make my own version of 3.x, psionics would be the way to go.

Recently resurrected. Sorry for bailing on you guys.

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"
    Awesome OOTSatar by Crimmy, masterfully done.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been reading the threads on the Paizo boards for a few days now paying special attention to their stuff about psionics and I can't find anywhere where someone from the company said straight up that they were doing this. I know a couple of them said it was a thought that they'd had but I also know that the head editor (whatever his name is, I can't remember it right now) has also said they weren't even going to touch psionics for at least two years.

I'd like to see the thread where someone who actually works for the company says that psionics in PF are going to be Vancian if you've still got the link.
    ~Nostri, frequent lurker and periodic poster

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I agree with this plan. Any terraforming plan involving Thermite is a good plan.
    Homebrew Creations
    Spoiler
    Show

Races
    The Arachnadae- WiP

Classes
    Templar- Finished, mostly
    Priest-WiP

Feats
    Sever Limb- WiP
    Sacred Vow/Vow of Poverty Redux- WiP

WiP stands for Work in Progress so please, go and discuss, critique, give suggestions etc.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Yeah I'll agree that the whole point of psionics was to be not vancian...
    Indeed. Psionics has basically always been "magic, only with spell points". But these things get a life of their own.

(for instance, I find it funny that the 3E sorcerer is essentially "the wizard, only spontaneous" - and then we get 4E, where all classes are equally spontaneous, and yet it still has both a wizard and a sorcerer)
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seconding Nostri. Can we get a link to this doomsaying? Pathfinder's so far been pretty smart about what they change in my current play experience (my DM swears they didn't pay anyone to playtest monks, though), and it'd be nice to see a quote saying "Pathfinder Psionics Will Be Vancian".

Besides, I expect if they present a Vancian psionics method, they'll also present a psionic point system in the same book, and probably some third spontaneous psionic system none of us thought of.

And hey, maybe they'll even fix Soulknife.
    Look! Under the earth! It's a worm! It's a drill machine! No! It's FLAYERMAN!

Faster than a speeding arrow! More powerful than a bullrushing fighter! Able to mind blast large parties in a single round!

Ages of Alcyon: An Original Campaign Setting

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    "Vancian" spellcasting is "uses per spell level per day based on character level", not "uses per day based on character level".
    This. The difference between Psionics and Vancian casting is that I can spend all day long manifesting 1st-level powers if I want to, but still have the option of manifesting my higher stuff in a pinch. Vancian casting lets me fill all my slots with 1st-level spells, but doing so bars me from casting anything higher.

If psionic powers had a little bit of automatic scaling (instead of relying completely on augmentation) I'd easily rank it above magic. It's just a cooler system, and the powers feel so much more... streamlined than tossing bat poop around and chanting gobbledygook.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Wow, I guess Im one of the rare few who prefers Vancian casting to psionic power points.

Not that I think its a bad system, I just don't think they pulled it off right. Also I don't feel that spell/power points give off a DnD wibe.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have no problems at all with Vancian casting. However, one of the things I liked most about psionics is that is uses a somewhat different mechanic. One of the things I really like about D&D is the sheer number of options you have to work with. Changing psionics to be more like other casters would be a big mistake in my opinion. Fortunately, it seems to be nothing more than a rumor at the moment, so I'll just hope it is an inaccurate one. I've adopted many of the PF changes into my games, though magic isn't one of them, so I'd be pretty able to ignore a new psionics system.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards...Edition&page=2 About half-way down the second page.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Jacobs
    Psionics are certainly one of the topics we want to some day deal with; its a pretty popular subset of the game, and its fans are certainly vocal. But we have to time it right for what's good for the overall line, not just for what's right for Paizo. Epic content is PROBABLY more popular than psionics (although it's a close race), and we certainly won't be doing a psionics book and an epic book in the same year. Also complicating things is the fact that we're really eager and excited to do something NEW with Pathfinder rather than just ape the release schedule of every previous edition of the game.

As for when they finally do happen, I can pretty much guarantee that psionics will NOT be substantially different than the game's current spellcasters... they're very likely to, mechanically, be even closer to arcane and divine spells than they are even in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, and that's something that a lot of psionics fans are going to have difficulty with accepting. But since no one at Paizo's interested in building a set of psionics rules that breaks the game or makes the core classes of the game feel underpowered (which is the way it works now in 3.5), that's not really something that's up for debate.

Another option would be to do something like what TSR did with Dark Sun. Introduce a new setting in Golarion where psionics are the way of things and arcane/divine magic is not. That lets us develop psionics in a "bubble" that doesn't have to worry about clashing with existing rules... but no matter how thick that "bubble" is there'll be leakage. Folks will want to play psionic characters in Golarion no matter what, and saying you can't is bad design. Saying you can't is basically saying we messed up somewhere. To be done right, psionics HAS to exist peacefully and equally with divine/arcane/martial classes. And it might be the only way that can happen is to boot the point-based system entirely.

My personal preference would be, of course, to build psionic characters VERY similar to how the sorcerer or the bard works for the power users, or the barbarian for how the soulblade non-power users work. Spell slots and "psionic powers" (instead of rage powers). Then the actual mechanics work fine, and we don't have the concerns about psionic characters being able to nova and make the core classes feel lame.

I almost think that the best bet is to simply let Dreamscarred's psionics stuff come out and let THAT satisfy the fans of psionics, to be honest. I'm pretty sure that if they keep their momentum up and running, they'll get something in print long before we could anyway.
    So basically, if they update psionics, it's going to be closer mechanically to spellcasters. (Core casters are vancian casters, therefore psionics will be converted to a vancian-like system). However, Paizo may just let Dreamscarred Press update psionics and leave it at that.

I'd strongly suggest reading the whole thread in case I missed something else that James said. If I did miss something, please point it out.

Edit: Maybe the OP can put this in the first post for people?
    Last edited by Zeuy; 2009-10-27 at 11:06 AM.