New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Post Bartimaeus Trilogy (Stroudian) magic

Insert quote from the amulet of samakand here

In the Bartimaeus trilogy magic is normally achieved by the summoning of demons. I believe that this type of magic could be balanced against other casters, as characters would have to rely on their demons remaining strong and alive. So, without further ado, I present Storudian magic:
    [spoiler]Magic relies on summoning demons to do your bidding, although magicians can perform simple spells without their help. To summon a demon a magician must first uncover their name, meaning almost all demons who are summoned have been summoned for centuries. All demons are unquie beings with many magical abilities. To summon a demon a character must speak their name and make a DC20 summoning check. Before summoning a demon a character must draw a two pentacles, one for them and one for the Demon. As long as the magician does not step outside their pentacle when commanding the demon than the demon also may not move from their pentacle.

Slaves
    Magicians may make demons work for them permanently. This is no different to summoning a demon normally, although the wrong choice of demon could make a magician unpopular amoung his fellows.

Planes
    there are seven planes of exsistance, on which each demon appears. The first plane is the normal world, while the other six planes show different types of magic, including the more true forms of demons.[/spolier]

So please review honestly, and add additions, including stats for imps, filiots, djinn, afrits and marids.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bartimaeus Trilogy (Stroudian) magic

What kinds of bonuses apply to the summon check? Class level?

I feel like you are hinting at a class, but giving next to no details.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The summon check is either a caster level type check or a skill ceck, although an intelligence or charisma check would work well.

The main thing about this magic is that it would probally have to be resricted on the maximum number of demons you can summon.

Also, For the class, I was thinking of posting one when the system was nearer completion, but i'll post this and add features when they are needed. (note: demon does not mean the monster type).
    Magician
    Insert fluf here.
    {table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Summoning (imps, foliots)
    2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Punitive jab
    3|+1|+1|+1|+3|Red hot stipples
    4|+2|+1|+1|+4|Inferno
    5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Summoning (djinn)
    6|+3|+2|+2|+5|The indifinate confinement
    7|+3|+2|+2|+5|Sysmatic vice
    8|+4|+2|+2|+6|The stimulating compass
    9|+4|+3|+3|+6|Stricture
    10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Summoning (Afrits)
    11|+5|+3|+3|+7|Plasm
    12|+6|+4|+4|+8|The indifinate confinement
    13|+6|+4|+4|+8|The shrivvlling fire
    14|+7|+4|+4|+9|Mournful orb
    15|+7|+5|+5|+9|Summoning (Marids)
    16|+8|+5|+5|+10|Detonation
    17|+8|+5|+5|+10|Convulsion
    18|+9|+6|+6|+11|Hurricane
    19|+9|+6|+6|+11|Master of Demons
    20|+10|+6|+6|+12|Summoning (greater beings)[/table]
    Weapon and armour proficiency: as the wizard.
    Summoning: this is the highest level grade of spirit the magician can summon on his own. Two or more magicians add their levels together to work out the highest grade of demon they can summon.
    Spells: each of the abilities not described is a new spell. A magician can use each of these spells by paying a number of hit points equal to the spell level x2.
    Master of demons: at 19th level the magician adds half his class level on rolls to influence demons.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The thing about Stroudian magic is that don't need to be a higher level to summon the more powerful demons. Nathaniel certainly wasn't level 5 when he summoned Bartimaeus. I'd make demon summoning a skill (using INT) and give magicians access to various abilities at will, similar to a warlock. They can get the various names of demons using a knowledge check, then make the demon summoning check against a DC equal to the grade of demon(CR+some constant+grade of demon?).
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think part of it should be a matter of time. Nathanial spent a long time preparing to summon Bartimaeus, but more experienced magicians seemed like they could summon imps and foliots with a wave of their hand. (if I remember correctly)

To make it balanced, I suggest a cap on the number of HD the summoner can control.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Or at least a cap on the HD of the highest level of beings a magician is able to summon. Whitwell summoned an afrit as well as several other lower level demons.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

There should be a DC 10 check to draw the pentacles, because if they're drawn incorrectly the demon can escape and kill you.