New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default I have something I have to say about Eberron.

Sure, halflings riding dinosaurs is cool and all, but raptors are a pretty implausible selection. As far as I know, raptors are pack animals, and historically pack animals were only used as aids to hunting, not for riding. We used herd animals for riding. Halflings should probably ride triceratops or similar animals.

There, I said it.
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I have something I have to say about Eberron.

Can you name a pack animal that is big enough for humans to ride?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Triceratops are bad. ass. Screw raptors.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Lions.

And if they could be ridden, we would. They'd be faster than Bear Calvary.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5

A Utahraptor.
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

One that existed at the same time recorded history/humans did? Cause otherwise, we really have no basis for comparison.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Exactly. What the hell is a difference between a pack and a herd? You could just say 'Riding Predators is implausible because Humans don't ride Predators'. The answer is the same though, what domesticated predator is big enough for a human to ride?

Killer whales?

The domesticated part is key, people don't ride Zebras for a reason...
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2009-11-13 at 12:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

People don't ride wolves and halflings wouldn't ride raptors for the same reason: they're too smart. A wolf is going to go "Oh, look, fighting. Let me just go the other way so I don't get killed." Horses, like most herd animals, are too dumb to do this, and so can be rode. Also, predators are bad choices because they're too aggressive and would be too busy trying to fight themselves.

Early humans tried all kinds of crazy crap with domestication; I believe at one point they tried getting their jaguars (?; might've been another big cat) to ride their camels with them so that the jaguar could jump off and attack. Believe me, if there was a pack animal that could be ridden, they would have done so.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I always wondered why the indians didn't ride buffalo.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    depending on who you talk to, the Indians didn't ride a lot of things because they were too busy killing them. :P

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone231 View Post
    People don't ride wolves and halflings wouldn't ride raptors for the same reason: they're too smart. A wolf is going to go "Oh, look, fighting. Let me just go the other way so I don't get killed." Horses, like most herd animals, are too dumb to do this, and so can be rode. Also, predators are bad choices because they're too aggressive and would be too busy trying to fight themselves.

Early humans tried all kinds of crazy crap with domestication; I believe at one point they tried getting their jaguars (?; might've been another big cat) to ride their camels with them so that the jaguar could jump off and attack. Believe me, if there was a pack animal that could be ridden, they would have done so.

Let's talk about domesticated Wolves AKA Dogs.
    People don't ride dogs because they are too small and their backs can not support large enough loads. A sufficiently trained dog is not going to go "oh, look, fighting. let me just go the other way so I don't get killed." Horses are NOT stupid. Untrained Horses get spooked and flee (by your definition 'smart') It takes a lot of training and a horse capable of learning to produce a war horse. Also, not just predators are aggressive creatures. Anyway, the whole aggression thing has to do training. Well trained dogs don't get into a frenzy like a shark.

Yes, people have tried to domesticate leopards (I think that's what you meant maybe? though I've never heard of such an application) and cheetahs and tigers and hyenas and etc. But they've also tried to domesticate African Elephants, Zebras, Deer, and a wide variety of other still 'wild' herd animals. Some animals just do not predispose themselves well to domestication. Lions, btw, are NOT big enough to comfortably carry a human. Their bodies are not built in a way that lends itself to supporting a large amount of weight on their backs. Actually, the early horses couldn't support a 13th century Knight either, but that's what a thousand+ years of breeding is for.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    Good Stuf
    I was looking for sources in order to type up something like that, but Asbestos beat me too it. I'd like to add that it's very hard to tell what animals can and cannot be domesicated. I mean, look at Domestic Asian Water Buffalo and Cape Buffalo.
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    depending on who you talk to, the Indians didn't ride a lot of things because they were too busy killing them. :P
    Darn animals are always too full of delicious, delicious meat. Also for the Indians: tents, tools, etc.

Are you really asking how hobbits halfings ride raptors in a setting like Eberron? A Wizard Did It is the whole setting. Obviously someone messed with raptors brains until they are trainable.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2009-11-13 at 12:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

14. - Top - End - #14

To use your "logic," Asbestos, consider: if the early horse could not support a 13th century knight, and the early wolf could not support a rider... why would only one develop into a domesticated riding animal? Hmm?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Hey, buffalo will eat you!

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

To use your "logic," Asbestos, consider: if the early horse could not support a 13th century knight, and the early wolf could not support a rider... why would only one develop into a domesticated riding animal? Hmm?
    The horse was frequently used to pull chariots, etc, and were bred for additional strength and speed, until they could bear a rider incidentally. Then those were bred for more until they could be ridden even by men in armor.

As far as I know, dogs aren't used for transport outside of frigid areas.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Why can only one eat meat now? Hmm? Why can't Human's Fly?

Because evolution, selective breeding, and genetics only go so far. The early horse would have been smaller, yes, but not that much smaller. Unlike dogs. Now, that's as far as I know for sure, and I could be completely off base with this, but I think the following holds true as well. Horses were better built to carry weight on their back. Thus, when they get bigger, they can carry heavier weights. Dogs, however, are not built for this, and thus there is a much lower limit to what they can carry, in addition to the penalty posed by their size.
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #18

BlueKnightGuy

For one reason its because Dogs are not large enough, breeding can only do so much. Get me a HORSE SIZED DOG and I'll put a person on it. Then however, I would need to start breeding a horse sized dog capable of carrying a lot of weight on its back.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

For one reason its because Dogs are not large enough, breeding can only do so much. Get me a HORSE SIZED DOG and I'll put a person on it. Then however, I would need to start breeding a horse sized dog capable of carrying a lot of weight on its back.
    Which would waste a lot of useful things dogs can do already for functions already fulfilled.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, that reminds me of the General Series. It has Dogs the size of horses used for essentially the same thing (it's in the far off future after a galactic civilization has collapsed, so it's not entirely improbably). It is noted in the book that calvary is alot more dangerous, as Dogs are primarily carnivores, and, well, you can guess the rest.
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Because elephants were way more awesome.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Dogs. And yes, they've been used for riding. Of course, this is mostly by children, because size is still an issue.

But yeah, your basic point that a pack animal can certainly be ridden is sound.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

To drive home the size thing...
    Zorba, the largest dog known weighed 343 lbs. This is less than a biggish Llama (upwards of 450lbs), one of the smallest animals reasonably capable of carrying a light person some of the time. This is less than half the weight of a light riding horse and maybe a 1/3 or 1/4 of the destrier, the ancestors of modern draught horses. The largest recorded horse ever was a massive Shire (a breed that descends from the olde English war horse) which weighed over 3000lbs.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid
    Lions
    From way back in post 3. So why is everyone arguing whether wolves are big enough to ride? Now you could say that maybe Lions are unsuited for other reasons than being a pack hunter, but you can't say there weren't any rideable pack hunting animals.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    From way back in post 3. So why is everyone arguing whether wolves are big enough to ride? Now you could say that maybe Lions are unsuited for other reasons than being a pack hunter, but you can't say there weren't any rideable pack hunting animals.
    Yeah I can.
    The large range for a lion is between 400 and 500lbs, again, much smaller than a light riding horse. In addition to the whole 'can't carry weight on its back' thing, a lion pretty much, at most, has a shoulder height of 4ft, about the size of the average llama (of which only the biggest can begin to maybe sometimes carry a person without a load) and again, at least a foot or more shorter than a horse.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Lions, btw, are NOT big enough to comfortably carry a human. Their bodies are not built in a way that lends itself to supporting a large amount of weight on their backs. Actually, the early horses couldn't support a 13th century Knight either, but that's what a thousand+ years of breeding is for.
    Reading all replies helps.
    Satomi by Elagune

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

He's got a point...besides, most animals are unsuitable for riding, of any particular type(mainly due to size).

If you can arbitrarily fix size, it's not all that unlikely that you'll find a couple of the type that could work. Hell, if we made insects big enough, some of those could probably be used.

28. - Top - End - #28

The reason there are no pack hunters large enough to ride is because humans killed them all because they were competitors, not prey. The same would apply for halflings.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueKnightGuy

The reason there are no pack hunters large enough to ride is because humans killed them all because they were competitors, not prey.
    Indeed we have killed off all large predator species... wait, what?
    The same would apply for halflings
    So halflings have killed off all predators/competitors bigger than them. Right.

30. - Top - End - #30

Indeed we have killed off all large predator species... wait, what?
    The birth and expansion of the human species coincided with a huge depopulation of megafauna. The handful of major predators (wolves and bears and such) still around exist in very small amounts, even in absolute terms. They only still exist because some people want to keep them around. If people hadn't set aside national parks and other conservation projects, they would all be dead.