New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Inevitable mentioning of Inevitables

Alright, so I see people mentioning these things anytime someone even hints about players getting eternal life or otherwise 'breaking the laws of the universe' (possibly the least useful guideline ever).

Why, exactly?

Aside from those in the first monster manual, I have never seen a monster that people just assume to be present in other people's campaigns. If the DM doesn't decide that they exist in the first place, they're not there by default.

Their fluff is more problematic than useful. Who decided that eternal life is a particularly bad thing? Does the deciding party have any say whatsoever on a particular material plane (hint: the gods might have issues with unwanted interference)? Why are certain types of immortality (undead) provided with a 'get off scot free' card?

I can't even remember a pre-3rd ed precident for their existence, so it's not something like portable hole/bag of holding explosion- it's not traditional, and you can't blame it on earlier silly decisions.

Can anyone satisfactorily explain any of this?
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Inevitable mentioning of Inevitables

Isn't it just a form of balance?

A kobold tries to do Pun Pun? Bam! Inevitables!

We ran a whole special session which pretty much had inevitables screw over the plans of a beguiler that used a magic staff to gestalt himself with sorcerer levels.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Isn't it just a form of balance?

A kobold tries to do Pun Pun? Bam! Inevitables!
    This. Inevitables is what keeps the D&D universe running.

Someone tries to bind efreets? BAM inevitables!

Someone tries to create a trap based economy? BAM inevitables!

Basicaly, if players try to a dirty trick, inevitables fall, everybody dies!

I specialy like the campaign module where the party has to stop an inevitable from releasing a destructive god who had been traped by another party long ago. The god will completely reshape reality if released, but since it was captured with cheese, Mechanus decreed for it to be released anyway
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-11-17 at 08:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Inevitables are the logical extensions of modrons (LN residents of Mechanus)from Advanced dungeons and Dragons. Everybody assumes that they exist in each other's campaigns because they assume that everybody plays the standard DnD cosmology.
    I, for one, assume that they exist in my campaign, but trying to live forever doesn't seem to attract their attention as much as, say, trying to kill a god and take over his/her portfolio. Eternal life (and undeath) have their own pitfalls that make most sensible people avoid it (most notably, the unending boredom once you've done everything you wanted to do).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't even remember a pre-3rd ed precident for their existence, so it's not something like portable hole/bag of holding explosion- it's not traditional, and you can't blame it on earlier silly decisions.
    I seem to recall something like the Inevitables in one of the Planescape Monster Manuals in 2e; don't remember the specifics though.
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-11-17 at 08:27 AM.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd agree they don't seem internally consistent and honestly I've never used them in a game. If I did however I'd certainly apply them across the board instead of allowing all sorts of excepts (either that or clarify precisely what they respond to).

I also wouldn't use them to punish "tricks". Since that'd be giving the players free EXP (or in the case of Pun-Pun simply meaningless).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

To rectify Pun-pun, just make a special kind of Inevitable, the Punevitables. Basically Pun-pun, if he were an inevitable, and if there were hundreds of them. I think that would stop one lone Pun-pun, or at least cause the universe to self destruct.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    This forum is now officially the only place where I've seen

"Oh crap, we're getting off topic! I'd better post pictures of scantily clad women!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Because they're flying robots that fire electric spiked chains from their hands.

WHY WOULD YOU NOT ASSUME EVERYONE USES THEM!?

I'm running a campaign where the PC's were teleported to Mad Wizard Island, and then Mad Wizard was killed by inevitables for screwing with portal magic too much. Now the inevitables consider the PC's "Tainted" and are hunting them.

They were like

"YESSSS WE'RE BEING HUNTED BY CHAINSAW BOTS BECAUSE WE'RE GUILTY OF CRIMES AGAINST EXISTENCE BY ASSOCIATION!"
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Temet Nosce View Post
    I also wouldn't use them to punish "tricks". Since that'd be giving the players free EXP (or in the case of Pun-Pun simply meaningless).
    Silly boy. Inevitables strike exacly before the players can pull out their cheese.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

It's as if SkyNet worked for the Department of Pre-Crime.

Anyhow. Inevitables are just one of those things, you know? If you have Celestials then you probably have Fiends; if you have Slaad, you probably will have Inevitables.
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2009-11-17 at 09:15 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

On the topic of Inevitables: How would you (as players) react to someone who pulled some cheese (for example, trying to do some candles/wishes/efreet bs) immediately dissapearing from existance? The reason would be time-displaced Inevitables, of course. I'm thinking of doing something like thatm, and then having my PCs have to figure out how their completely cheesy friend just disappeared.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

It's an in-universe way for the DM to say "no" without relying on a particular pantheon. You can always have Obad-Hai or Boccob step in to stop the reincarnating druids, Mind-Switching BBEG or whatever instead. Having a creature in core that exists solely to keep an eye on these sorts of abuses just frees the DM up from relying on stock (or indeed, any) deities.

Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    On the topic of Inevitables: How would you (as players) react to someone who pulled some cheese (for example, trying to do some candles/wishes/efreet bs) immediately dissapearing from existance? The reason would be time-displaced Inevitables, of course. I'm thinking of doing something like thatm, and then having my PCs have to figure out how their completely cheesy friend just disappeared.
    You don't even need inevitables for that. Just build a magical flaw/trap into one of the candles that pulls the user bodily into the Far Realm instead of calling an efreet. I mean, which shopkeeper in his right mind would sell a working candle of invocation instead of using it himself?
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2009-11-17 at 09:26 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    Depends on whether I knew where the DM was so I could have a book explain my feelings to his face or not.

Less jokingly, I'd most likely quit. If a DM was incapable of dealing with players on that level, I don't think I'd trust him enough to keep playing with him. If a player is pulling something that bad it needs to be dealt with OOC. It's not a character issue and sending an in game punishment not only doesn't fix it but creates more problems.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Temet Nosce View Post
    Less jokingly, I'd most likely quit. If a DM was incapable of dealing with players on that level, I don't think I'd trust him enough to keep playing with him. If a player is pulling something that bad it needs to be dealt with OOC. It's not a character issue and sending an in game punishment not only doesn't fix it but creates more problems.
    Agreed. Someone who wants to breack the campaign so badly and can't admit anything the DM does against them should just quit D&D alltogheter.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-11-17 at 09:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post

Anyhow. Inevitables are just one of those things, you know? If you have Celestials then you probably have Fiends; if you have Slaad, you probably will have Inevitables.
    Yeah. If you're going to keep law and chaos as opposes forces in your game it makes sense to have neutral creatures of law and creatures of chaos with their own agendas.

Of course you don't need to have inevitables be cosmic enforcers. Some other type of being could could appear to kick mortal ass when necessary. It could be angels, or even devils that want to keep things running smoothly. Actually, devils opposing magical loopholes that free humans from death and scarcity makes perfect sense doesn't it?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Agreed. Someone who wants to breack the campaign so badly and can't admit anything the DM does against them should just quit D&D alltogheter.
    What you did there, I see it

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    Scariest crossover fanfic ever.

I like the idea of the Inevitables, myself, but I probably wouldn't include them in my campaign until the players do unsavory things.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Alternatively, you could game with more mature players who see cheese for what it is.
    Or, as the DM you could work cheese into the campaign so that it eventually works against the characters that caused it.
    Remember, the core books are just guidelines, and loopholes are usually intentional so that both players and DM's alike are free to interpret the rules as they see fit.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    Aside from those in the first monster manual, I have never seen a monster that people just assume to be present in other people's campaigns. If the DM doesn't decide that they exist in the first place, they're not there by default.
    They are in the monster manual. So why can't people just assume people include them?

You cannot expect us to divine your own homebrew world - the default assumption is that everyone plays in Greyhawk. There are Inevitables in that campaign setting, so therefore the default assumption is that there are Inevitables in your campaign setting.

Everyone plays D&D differently, true - and we, the Internet as a whole, have no idea what anyone else plays, especially if they don't tell us. So to be safe we make assumptions - such as assuming anyone who doesn't say otherwise is playing "Generic D&D", whatever that entails depending on the edition they're running.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2009-11-18 at 04:58 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit:

Complete apologies to Yuki.

I am either insane/have repressed the memories of even seeing them in there.

I will double check myself in the future.
    Last edited by Zincorium; 2009-11-18 at 05:49 AM.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

No, they're in the freaking first Monster Manual. Please at least TRY to know what you're talking about before telling me I'm wrong.

There are Inevitables in splatbooks. There are also Eladrins, Guardinals, Demons and Devils in splatbooks.

But Inevitables first appeared in the Monster Manual. And are present in the SRD.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2009-11-18 at 05:28 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

They were not, however, in the 3.0 MM- they first appeared in 3rd ed in the Manual of the Planes.

Did earlier editions have them in the main monster manual- Maruts and the like?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-11-18 at 06:15 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe that they were initially published in the 2e Planescape setting, then re-designed in 3.0 Manual of the Planes, then again in the 3.5 MM1.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I, for one, assume that they exist in my campaign, but trying to live forever doesn't seem to attract their attention as much as, say, trying to kill a god and take over his/her portfolio
    What if someone trys to kill a "God without portfolio"?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I believe that they were initially published in the 2e Planescape setting, then re-designed in 3.0 Manual of the Planes, then again in the 3.5 MM1.
    Just to say, there are 2 more, and more badass, in Fiend Folio. One punishes who plays with time (to avoid a Phane being relased I guess) and the other who obstacles deities (or something similar).

CR 15-17 IIRC.
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2009-11-18 at 10:59 AM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

The FF inevitables are seriously badass. If I ever brought an inevitable into a game, I would take one of those two, advance it up to about 30 HD, and optimize the crap out of it. The enforcers of the laws of the universe play hardball, gentlemen.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that on some level they are a slightly cheesy "Nu-uh! you can't do that! Rocks Fall!" with stats attatched, there does seem to be a rather... Vocal following for their use and inclusion and so on.

Personally, I dislike the idea that they have any right to enforce anything, and the way that most people seem to suggest that they should be used ("Inevitables fall, Everyone Dies!") is really not interesting to me.

But I think I may have room for a similar concept of creature in my own campaign, because whilst I hate the idea of things being cosmically appointed enforcers of somehow-tangible ideals, I love the idea of NPC's authorititively claiming to be that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I think one thing that bugs me on this front is, well....

They really don't feel up to the job. The god problems one is CR 17?

By the time you start hunting gods, that should be a cakewalk, I presume.

Plus, even if a DM is going to go "Nuh-uh" to cheese in game, there are so many more fun ways to do it.

(Although I still am fond of the mental image of a wizar with a house full of inevitables incapable of harming him. "If it isn't cockroaches, it's inevitables. Well, such is life. Blueberry scones, anyone?")
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    I think one thing that bugs me on this front is, well....

By the time you start hunting gods, that should be a cakewalk, I presume.

Plus, even if a DM is going to go "Nuh-uh" to cheese in game, there are so many more fun ways to do it.

(Although I still am fond of the mental image of a wizar with a house full of inevitables incapable of harming him. "If it isn't cockroaches, it's inevitables. Well, such is life. Blueberry scones, anyone?")
    Weel, FF says that they (Varakhut) " hunt down those that attempt to usurp the power of the gods". They are CR 19, so maybe can be considered something like a proceeding for PC of that level for to reach higher level and start to challenge the gods.

That is, I cheked: Quarut CR 17, Varakhut CR 19.
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2009-11-18 at 11:52 AM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    It is CR 19. And it can use wish as a SLA. Wich means it can simply wish the wizard and all his creations out of existence.

The CR 17 likes to hunt wizards who abuse wish, and has the tools to do so. Limited wish, time stop, dominate person, locate, teleport whitout error, ect, ect.

Yes, that's right, the forces that be created a monster that apears and rapes anyone who tries to abuse magic, unless said person is epic level already (in wich case the DM pulls out the epic handbook nasties).
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-11-18 at 12:04 PM.