New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Low Level Trapmonkeys

Okay, in the neverending dungeon crawl, I've found something interesting. Low Level Characters have no defenses against traps. Why do I say that? Because a standard starting skillmonkey has between +5 and +7 in search, and the lowest trap dc is 20. Thus, unless you take 20 every step of the way, you'll find fewer traps than you'll trigger. Is this really how it's supposed to work? Or did wizards just mess up their numbers, again?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Low Level Trapmonkeys

Yeah, but a CR 1 trap is not supposed to TPK a party of 4 which is supposed to include a cleric/druid to back you up. And traps are generally expected to be placed at certain locations (like a chest). But the dart trap might be under CRed.

I have not found any dart traps so far but I have prepared with http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm :)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

It is not extremely unrealistic to take 20 on a search check in areas you deem high-threat. Taking 20 to search a single 5-ft square takes two minutes. If I was dungeon-crawling, I personally would have NO PROBLEM waiting two minutes for the party rogue to check a door before I went through it, or check a desk or chest before I opened it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

At this point, though, it's every square that we move.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

A CR 1 encounter is a bit much for a level 1 character. Have the rogue search, but the fighter walks down the passage first. A level 4 rogue is meant to solo such encounters, and he can just take a 10 all day. Or spending 2 minutes per 5 feet isn't entirely unreasonable, unless there are monsters nearby. This isn't essential, though, as a fighter can usually take the hit. Btw, if none of the DCs are above 20, you can have the entire party search and save some time. Or if you have a dwarf he can check for traps put in stone or made out of stone as well as a rogue can.

Also of note is that about 1/3 traps also have a DC of 20, even at CR 10. So any class can take a 20 and find some traps at any level.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-11-13 at 06:56 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, it's a solo dungeon crawl. And I don't know, taking 20 seems to me like it should be reserved, not be mandatory.
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

CR 1 for a lone level 1 character is an overwhelming encounter. The only reason you don't face rapid doom is because you're a rogue. Searching everything from top to bottom to make sure you don't die is quite reasonable. And if you're getting xp for these encounters you'll be level 2 after 4 traps.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-11-13 at 06:59 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we are gestalt, so that helps. But, on the whole, yeah, the traps are killer.
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

We? I thought it was a solo dungeon crawl.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

It's multiple games. Essentially, each solo player is going through a different version of the same dungeon.
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You're meant to be challenged btw. Or at least if I was running it, 70% of the characters would die at level 1 :)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

This is less about those threads than the fact that until level 5 most skill monkeys won't be able to find traps more than half the time unless they take 20, and that's assuming a +2 int bonus.
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know how many times I have to suggest ten foot poles, grappling hooks, and 40 lb sacks of flour until the idea sticks.
    Internet's out. Updates ETA Saturday.

"Nothing says love like being hugged to death by a Water Orc."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    On an unrelated note, Tanaric is awesome. End of story.

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Have you ever carried a ten foot pole? I've never understood how one's actually supposed to carry that on a dungeon crawl and at the same time be able to do anything else.
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Have you ever carried a ten foot pole? I've never understood how one's actually supposed to carry that on a dungeon crawl and at the same time be able to do anything else.
    Collapsable 10 foot foles.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

For a party, DC 20 is reasonable. Everyone takes 10 to Aid Another, and the Rogue takes 10. 6 of the 10s, plus 4 ranks, +2 Int, and the Rogue's 10 makes him able to hit 22.

Solo, it's much rougher. Solo, the best Trapfinder is a Warlock.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    For a party, DC 20 is reasonable. Everyone takes 10 to Aid Another, and the Rogue takes 10. 6 of the 10s, plus 4 ranks, +2 Int, and the Rogue's 10 makes him able to hit 22.

Solo, it's much rougher. Solo, the best Trapfinder is a Warlock.
    Oh? Well, I am a warlock. Technically a warlock/scout. How should I be looking for traps?
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh? Well, I am a warlock. Technically a warlock/scout. How should I be looking for traps?
    Summon Swarm for rats to trigger floor traps, Eldritch Blast to open doors and chests, and Detect Magic to cover everything.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm. You're idea has merit. Plus, I actually picked up the summon swarm invocation. And it's only a, what, full round action? This could prove promising.
    Satomi by Elagune

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I confess to wondering why you weren't using rats earlier.
    Internet's out. Updates ETA Saturday.

"Nothing says love like being hugged to death by a Water Orc."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    On an unrelated note, Tanaric is awesome. End of story.

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly? I forgot. Plus, I was still kinda playing him like the druid.
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly? I forgot. Plus, I was still kinda playing him like the druid.
    ...Druids don't send swarms of rats to set off any traps in the hallways ahead of them? Wow, I've been playing them wrong.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Level 1 druid using the shapeshift variant.

And he only died because the enemy needed to roll an 18 or higher to hit, and managed to do that the majority of the time.
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Why not take a 20 every time? If your DM insists on throwing overwhealming encounters at your guy then just let him eat the skill/CR rules and make your character level up in complete safety (albeit a bit boring and monotonous) until you can take a 10 and get on with the dungeon. If I was wandering around on my own in a trapped underground labarinth I'd be damn cautious too so it's not even like it's OOC or anything.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"Take 20" and "roll once" are extremes. My trapmonkeys typically try to search for something like 1d4+2 times per square. Gives a decent chance without being too slow.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    CR 1 for a lone level 1 character is an overwhelming encounter.
    Wait, isn't that a fair fight?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Depends on what you define as a fair fight. A character soloing an equal-CR encounter is one where both participants should have roughly an even chance of coming out the winner. If you want a CR appropriate encounter for a solo character, the kind where the players are assumed to win without undue effort, then you need to use CRs of something like level-3. (Example time: 2 orcs are a CR 1 encounter. They will completely slaughter any lone level 1 character they win initiative on, and strongly threaten any they don't. One kobold is a CR appropriate encounter, and any level 1 character can stab it and move along, perhaps taking a survivable hit on the way.)
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2009-11-14 at 10:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Nope, a CR1 encounter by 3.5 rules is a fair encounter for a party of same level adventurers though I forget precisely how many adventurers that supposition is based upon.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

FWIW, I personally hate the Trapfinding ability as it is written. I far prefer allowing everyone to find any traps they can make the DC for, and use Trapfinding either to give a bonus to search checks for finding traps, or reduce the time it takes.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    \If you want a CR appropriate encounter for a solo character, the kind where the players are assumed to win without undue effort,
    I think this makes me sad. If the PCs aren't going to have a believable chance of losing, then consider just narrating rather than rolling the scene.