New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Shuriken, what are they good for?

I was looking at making a shuriken chucking urban ranger until I took a good look at them. 1.5 average damage I can live with, but with a range of 10ft and the constant cost of enchanting new ones, is there any reason to bother?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Shuriken, what are they good for?

3.5 dnd hate throwing weapons, don't bother with them.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *As a DM I run sand-box games.
    Challenge me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Poison them, perhaps?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Houserule a glove that enchants things you throw, has a range increment, etc. Limit each glove to one type of thrown weapon. Basically like a bow/crossbow but for thrown weapons. That will at least put thrown weapons on par with archery.

Don't forget to then consider thrown weapons as ammo, in regards to not requiring Quick Draw just to attack more than once per round. If an archer can fire 4+ arrows in 1 round (an action that involves drawing the arrow from the quiver each time), then there is no reason a thrower can't draw shuriken/knives from a container just as fast without the Quick Draw feat.
    Last edited by Choco; 2009-11-16 at 12:04 PM.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Don't they function like ammo for enchantments?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You can have an effective throwing weapon character. Hafling Rogue + Whisperknife + Master Thrower actually can work pretty well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Sadly, in D&D, the best throwing weapons are either massive rocks or greatswords. Shuriken and Daggers are a distant third.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Shuriken, what are they good for?
    Absolutely NOTHING, say it again!
    I cast Prismatic Ray on your puny plot hook!

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Elf Wizard/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11
    Alignment:Neutral Good
    Race:Elven
    Primary Class:Wizard
    Secondary Class:Cleric

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Don't they function like ammo for enchantments?
    Yes, and that's the primary reason they're useful. You can put some random esoteric enhancement on some of them (like * bane for example), and have them around in case that comes in handy, without sinking tons of gold into it. Also, oils of flame arrow are *nice* for shuriken.

I would be wary of houseruling said glove, because it would bring thrown weapons up to par with archery, but then there are a bunch of feats and things that improve your abilities with thrown weapons (bloodstorm blade, master thrower, power throw...) that don't have equivalents in archery. It's still not necessarily a bad idea, but you'll want to carefully consider various interactions first. *Not* considering those interactions is what got us things like 1d2 infinite damage weapons.

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, if your DM houserules it (and I personally do), to have them be like they were in 3.0, then they're good. In 3.0, from what I understand, you could throw three per round. So, with an energy enchantment, they're awesome, even if you use a bunch of them. (Though it's also more guaranteed damage than a bow). 3 damage for sure, 4 damage on average per round. A longbow's average damage is supposed to be the same, but there's the possibility of rolling a 1 for damage or something.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

there great for ninja characters or characters that have a way of provoking SA, or Sudden strike for a full round.. then try to throw as many as possible.

I've seen ninjas do some pritty cool things with them.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    there great for ninja characters or characters that have a way of provoking SA, or Sudden strike for a full round.. then try to throw as many as possible.

I've seen ninjas do some pritty cool things with them.
    Except in what way is that preferable to normal archery?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Shurikens, or light throwing knives whichever you want to fluff them as, really aren't useful except that you can have 50 enchanted specialty throwing items. Since they're treated as ammunition you don't need quickdraw to grab one. These are things which you either use in conjunction with sneak attack, or you have as a back up weapon for whenever you run across something extra nasty and you need to hit with a +1 enervating weapon, or something like that.
    Nosce te ipsum

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    The first thing that come is my mind is hidden weapons. If you want to assassinate someone, a bunch of shuriken is better than a bow if you want to hide your weapon.

Not so much, I admit

IIRC there is a "style" for ninjas in dragon magazine: you forgo 1-3 sudden strike dice to add 1-3 attacks with shuriken at different targets, high attack bonus.

But very situational.
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2009-11-16 at 12:24 PM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Palm Throw + Stormguard Warrior = make a series of touch attacks with shuriken to gain a large bonus to hit and damage on your next turn?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    a few things actualy...
    It costs less.. as i am enchanting them as ammo much like arrows but i don't also have to have a bow.

I can do it 1 handed or two handed...

and most importantly
    I can get more shurkiens off in a single round then archery.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

+4 to sleight of hand checks to conceal. Allows enchantment as ammo which is a cost advantage over thrown weapons, yet can get extra attacks from TWF, rapid shot and flurry which is an advantage over bows which only get rapid shot. If you don't mind the low AB. And don't forget spells like flame arrow to get a good boost without spending gold. Usually you're better off enchanting a bow and maybe some of its arrows, but for situations that fit what I just mentioned that's when you use shurikens.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-11-16 at 12:41 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Don't forget that they're also used in the 3rd(?) level assassin spell "Fire shuriken" as a focus/material componant, but has to be slathered in a flamable substance which I can't recall the name of.
    These shurkens do something like 3D6+(or was that 5D6?) damage each, and a spellthief 5/Assassin 10 can make six from one casting, they unfortunately don't ignite flamable things, though that may be a good thing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

My monk/master thrower carries a buttload of shurikens as backup in case the sais that he normally throws get lost/damaged/AMF=no Returning or something.

I'm using Greater Flurry + Rapid Shot + Palm Throw to throw twelve monk weapons a round at level 14, without TWF, haste, or Speed.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Shuriken? Well:
    -Usable with Flurry of Blows
    -You get to add Str and Precision damage to each one
    -With Aptitude Enchant, you get to add your dex bonus with Shadow Blade

Other than that, you're kinda out of luck.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

They`re good because you can throw three of them at once. So, three times precision damage, three times poison damage etc.

As basic weapons, of course, they suck.

22. - Top - End - #22

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    They`re good because you can throw three of them at once. So, three times precision damage, three times poison damage etc.

As basic weapons, of course, they suck.
    Isn't that 3.0 and not 3.5?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Shuriken are a special Monk weapon. They were created so a Monk with Quickdraw can always make a Flurry of Blows, every round, starting at level 1, without ever wasting an attack.

Having said that, yes, they suck. Pick something else, like a harpoon, razor net, glot, boomerang, annulat, orc shotput, etc.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Historically, shuriken weren't intended to inflict lethal wounds, but were intended to distract an opponent or inflict nuisance injuries on exposed flesh like hands, faces, or feet.

How about this. Take rapid shot and palm throw and enchant a number of shurikens with the wounding special property. At BAB +6 or greater, you can throw six of these with a full attack. Every one that hits deals 1 point of Con damage.

Alternately, take a level of rogue and the staggering strike feat. Do what you can to improve your initiative. Using the aforementioned rapid shot and palm throw, toss a series of these at opponents in the first round of combat while they're flat-footed. They'll be staggered for a round. You can do this again during a battle by using an effect like invisibility to catch you foes flat-footed again.

The Stormguard warrior trick I mentioned above could also be interpreted as using the shuriken to distract your opponent to give yourself an advantage.

These uses are interesting and have some flair to them, and all are at least somewhat faithful to the historical use of the shuriken as a distracting or hindering weapon, rather than a weapon with deadly intent.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2009-11-16 at 01:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Shuriken are good for being shields. +5 Deflecting Shuriken, go!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Shuriken are a special Monk weapon. They were created so a Monk with Quickdraw can always make a Flurry of Blows, every round, starting at level 1, without ever wasting an attack.

Having said that, yes, they suck. Pick something else, like a harpoon, razor net, glot, boomerang, annulat, orc shotput, etc.
    Umm, why do you need quick draw?
    It counts as ammo, so its a free action to draw them without the feat.

On another note, im trying out a houserule that states that you can free-draw any throwing weapon as part of throwing the weapon, even without quick-draw.

Still no-one that bothers with thrown weapons.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *As a DM I run sand-box games.
    Challenge me.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post

Can you remind me what quickdraw is needed for in that scenario? If shurikens are treated as ammo and drawing ammo is a free action, doesn't a monk get to flurry with them without taking quickdraw?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

There was an experiment running in our group which hindged on what was considered an 'attack' was the action of throwing 84 shuriken a round one attack or is each an shuriken a seperate attack as we normaly run them in our group(it makes shuriken more practical).
    Skirmish damage should not say "on all attacks"

84 attacks x 5d6 = 420d6 skirmish damage!

EDIT: Sorry had to correct my math...
    Last edited by kentma57; 2009-11-16 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kentma57 View Post
    There was an experiment running in our group which hindged on what was considered an 'attack' was the action of throwing 84 shuriken a round one attack or is each an shuriken a seperate attack as we normaly run them in our group(it makes shuriken more practical).
    Skirmish damage should not say "on all attacks"

84 attacks x 7d6 = 588d6 skirmish damage!

I think that's how its supposed to work, actually.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Shuriken are good for being shields. +5 Deflecting Shuriken, go!
    Do you have to throw it to get the AC bonus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?