New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Evil Party Sucks at Being Evil, Please Help

So, my players have gone evil, joined a cult of necromancers, and are working on taking over the world. Lots of assassinations and various and assorted destruction.

Anyway, they're careless. They've left behind all kinds of things that should make the enemy's (the GOOD GUYS') scry & die tactics extremely easy (names, pieces of hair and blood, etc).

Obviously, something has to happen. The party's level 8-9. The setting is high-magic. What exactly makes it possible for the party to survive their carelessness, while being certain to not let it happen again?

How do I justify the armies of good NOT sending some crazy-huge force? How do I make this punitive strike a level appropriate encounter? I have an anti-party statted and ready to go, but is that too cliche? What do I do?
    I cast Prismatic Ray on your puny plot hook!

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Elf Wizard/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11
    Alignment:Neutral Good
    Race:Elven
    Primary Class:Wizard
    Secondary Class:Cleric

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Evil Party Sucks at Being Evil, Please Help

........Let the dice roll where they may!

Perhaps the <insert good nation> is on a budget?
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-11-19 at 11:07 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by root9125 View Post
    So, my players have gone evil, joined a cult of necromancers, and are working on taking over the world. Lots of assassinations and various and assorted destruction.

Anyway, they're careless. They've left behind all kinds of things that should make the enemy's (the GOOD GUYS') scry & die tactics extremely easy (names, pieces of hair and blood, etc).

Obviously, something has to happen. The party's level 8-9. The setting is high-magic. What exactly makes it possible for the party to survive their carelessness, while being certain to not let it happen again?

How do I justify the armies of good NOT sending some crazy-huge force? How do I make this punitive strike a level appropriate encounter? I have an anti-party statted and ready to go, but is that too cliche? What do I do?
    Sting operation by Grey Guards. They know who these jokers are, but they want to know who they're working for. So, they sit and wait and watch. Maybe give some advance warning to the bad guys' next target.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... You wouldn't happen to have a party of three, with a fourth pending? Maybe containing a friendly halfling and an undead whom plays at being an old man by any chance?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would, instead of sending an anti-party, send in one higher level vigilante-type. Through his dialog, I'd make it known how easy it was to find them (thus encouraging them to be more cautious) and then proceed to wipe the floor with them. Since it's only one guy, they should be able to take him if you don't make him TOO much higher level. You're justified in not sending a mob because this guy got the evidence first and didn't share. The party gets a butt-kicking and a valuable lesson.

Also, if they manage to defeat, but not kill, this guy then they'll have more incentive to watch their backs. Paranoia for the win!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Have a single, slightly crazy Evil Rival track them down. Make sure he clearly has little in the way of resources, but have him point out how easy it was to find them. He should be a reasonably tough encounter, nothing too much, but take them at an opportune time, like during their nap-time or shortly after a bigger fight.

They should struggle, but win. Have a moment to process the implications; With few resources this nutcase was able to track us down and, through careful timing, nearly take us. The 'Good Guys' have many times the resources, and the benefit of not being nutjobs.

That's the idea, anyway.

[edit] Also what Wormwood said.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2009-11-19 at 11:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Team Good will send a small, motley band of squabbling anti-heroes who will triumph against the odds and despite themselves. That is how D&D works.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Kill them all and restart the campaign in Baator.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    ........Let the dice roll where they may!
    Seconded. They should fail (read: die). If they are incapable of serving the Greater Evil, the Greater Evil has never felt bad about throwing people under the bus...
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2009-11-19 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wormwood View Post
    I would, instead of sending an anti-party, send in one higher level vigilante-type. Through his dialog, I'd make it known how easy it was to find them (thus encouraging them to be more cautious) and then proceed to wipe the floor with them. Since it's only one guy, they should be able to take him if you don't make him TOO much higher level. You're justified in not sending a mob because this guy got the evidence first and didn't share. The party gets a butt-kicking and a valuable lesson.

Also, if they manage to defeat, but not kill, this guy then they'll have more incentive to watch their backs. Paranoia for the win!
    This,

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Seconded. They should fail (read: die). If they are incapable of serving the Greater Evil, the Greater Evil has never felt bad about throwing people under the bus...
    followed by this,

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    followed by this. Assuming they don't get the message after step 1, that is.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Have a party of good guys attack them. This party would be a slightly lower level. Since they'll be ready to attack the group, they'll have an edge, and be a rough fight. Just sit back and watch your group kicking themselves for almost being owneds by people weaker than them. If they want to be evil, let them work for it.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    So because they fail at being subtle you send them to the headquarters of subtle badassery?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

The Greater Evil could always start sacrificing incompetent minions to summon the Elder Evils from beyond the stars. That may put the fear of Cthulhu in them.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    So because they fail at being subtle you send them to the headquarters of subtle badassery?
    No-one would see it coming :)
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to admit that when I read the thread title I expected something along the lines of "The party is evil but they keep helping old ladies across the street, donating to orphanages and petting kittens."

Well, not that exaggerated, but still.

Anyway, the above ideas seem good. The reason Team Good isn't sending the army is because they clearly don't need to. These guys aren't that much of a threat. (Or so they think. Though they may be right.)
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

@mikeejimbo:
    I know you...you're...you're...the Fool, aren't you?

17. - Top - End - #17

2) ???
    3) Profit!

Great advice!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    @mikeejimbo:
    I know you...you're...you're...the Fool, aren't you?
    Probably, though you'd have to be more specific.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

19. - Top - End - #19

Send in the Goddamn Batman.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

I agree with Vigilante Batman and also that - if you don't pull your punches and they die, they should wake up in one of the circles of hell and the campaign should continue. With the possibility of 'escape.' THAT would be memorable.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    I agree with Vigilante Batman and also that - if you don't pull your punches and they die, they should wake up in one of the circles of hell and the campaign should continue. With the possibility of 'escape.' THAT would be memorable.
    Sounds fun.

Also, if they are not going to be good at being evil (not an oxymoron), punish them by turning it into a reflection of a good campaign. Make them have to level up to fight the good overlord. Make everything cliché that applies to good be in the campaign reversed.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexicfaser View Post
    Send in the Goddamn Batman.
    Who would try to capture the party, so he can gain information about PC's eployers. If it comes to TPK anyway, then Dust has a great idea.

Heck, the necromantic cult, could change the wiped party into some sentient undead - recycling is, what necromancers do on a daily basis.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

You don't even have to go all the way to hell - Batman would beat them all up and throw them in jail (Arkham.) The campaign could then still turn to "escape!" without all the complications that being in Baator or undead would entail.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2009-11-19 at 04:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Ooh, having to break away from some necromancer's control as a zombie or skeleton... cool.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Been reading Solomon Kane by Robert E Howard (author of Conan)...
    One vigilante who believes he's got the might of right on his side, and is suitably badass and slightly insane himself.
    In most of his stories, he tends to spend years on a quest. For instance, in France finds a girl lying on the side of the road, she dies in his arms speaking the name of the bandit who violated and killed her.

Kane then spends the next 3 months picking off bandits. Sets a trap and kills most of them. Then goes after the remainder.
    Leader escapes, and Kane spends the next 2 years tracking him. To England, Portugal, Venice, and on into darkest africa.

Or 3 years tracking a pirate from the caribbean to the baltic to the English channel...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Root, is this a PbP game, or a real-life game?

Because if it's PbP, I nominate one of the above people to be the damn Batman.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmm, not cliche?

Okay, so these guys get sent by the evil cult to go and take some town to the ground. Seems like a really easy mission.

Have one old lady NPC, who they'll think is harmless. And that is what they will think when they see her old hunchbacked self.

Until she curses them. A lot. Pick really annoying but not crippling curses. Curses are rather open ended anyway. Homebrew the spell a bit if you have to. The old lady just happens to have a wand of these bad boys, and just happens to use the last charge on the wand right before she's captured.
    And then have their rear guard and their method of transporation cut off. And now they have to hoof it to get to any place that could remove these curses. Like back to their evil base for example.

Only now they can't teleport back. Or fly. All thanks to the curses that they just can't seem to get rid of due to a save DC that is just too darn high, or needs a specific component to dispell which they don't have access to. And their mounts and support staff are gone. Most likely their rations and water. Now make them return to base by crossing a swamp. A swamp home to a decent bunch of bandits, all of which are expert trackers. They can make fun of how easy it was to track them down, and lay out all the clues they left behind themselves.

Besides, it would be fun and ironic for the bad guys to get fleeced by more bad guys, just out to make a buck. Might make the party think for just a minute. Maybe.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

You could have it so that the government is secretly tolerating their presence in order to gain some political advantage over its rivals, and is planning on disposing of them once they start causing more harm than benefit.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't presume the forces of good have to many resources available, but if it's the case that the forces of good are overwhelmingly powerful in the area and able to send out a task-force to wipe out the bad guys like you imply, then maybe it's not easy to be evil there? (and thereby a bad place to place evil characters)

Presume that the forces of good are occupied with many other hassles; and sending a vigilante or a small investigation force is a great way to create some action for the players.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *As a DM I run sand-box games.
    Challenge me.

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

Have the good guys sound a scouting party who drops hints that the reason the good guys haven't taken your PCs seriously is that there is an EVEN BIGGER threat from a completely separate group.

Then turn the campaign into Evil Vs. Evil, with good fighting both, and make it a two front war...in the process allowing you to show your boys how evil ought to be done....
    Three things to remember about D&D:
    1. Always go right. It's right, after all.
    2. If it's not a party member, it's just XP.
    3. D&D is the only game where you really can kill first and ask questions later.