New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Spiked Chain and Combat reflexes

If you have the combat reflexes, 16 dex and the Spiked chain weapon you get 4 attacks of opportunity when your opponents provokes.

Here's the question - can that be 4 attacks agaisnt a single target or must it be 1 attack against 1 target up to 4 times ?
    Last edited by Grifthin; 2009-11-20 at 12:44 AM.
    Never forget you are the walls of steel and iron, between Mankind and a thousand horrors too unspeakable to name. You are the walls of Hell.

My warhammer 40000 Blog: http://bewaretheskinks.blogspot.com/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spiked Chain and Combat reflexes

Combat Reflexes doesn't work that way.

It increase the number of AOO's you can take in a single round. You only get one per provoker, but you can attack multiple provokers.

3. - Top - End - #3

The descriptive text for Combat Reflexes and Attacks of Opportunity state that you will only get one attack of opportunity per target.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

4 separate targets. 1 AoO per target per turn.

I know I got ninjaed :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well, technically if the same character does multiple actions that provoke then you can take multiple attacks against that same target.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Like Tavar said, enemies only prevoke once for each type of action, so if a wizard tries to move and then casts after you tripped them, that's two free hits

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

But someone who runs straight past you, only one AOO for him.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are, however, some feats in one dragon or another that allow you 2 and then 3 attacks per AoO. They're on Crystalkeep, if you need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

And remember that you can make AoO against chargin opponents.
    You've got reach, and regardless of the action, if the target moves out of a threatened square, it provokes an AoO.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    And remember that you can make AoO against chargin opponents.
    You've got reach, and regardless of the action, if the target moves out of a threatened square, it provokes an AoO.
    Throw in 'knockdown' and that skill trick that lets you stand as a free or swift action. :) You get charged, you hit with an AOO, knock the charger down on his butt. If you fail, he can try to trip you in return, but so what? You got the ability to freely stand up without wasting your move or taking an AOO.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    Combat Reflexes doesn't work that way.

It increase the number of AOO's you can take in a single round. You only get one per provoker, but you can attack multiple provokers.
    Minor correction, you get a maximum of 1 AoO per provoking act. It is quite possible for an opponent to make multiple provoking actions, each of which allows the use of an AoO

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So with 4 AoOs available, if someone goes running past you then you will get 3 AoOs against them. I just finished making an AoO build with the spiked chain, and it's fantastic this way. If you're really looking for some other nice AoO feats, then take a look at Robilar's Gambit (PH2) giving you an AoO each time anyone attacks you (though they do get a +4 to hit you). Deft Opportunist (CAdv) gives you a +4 on all of your AoOs.

There are some really nasty ones in the dragon magazines if those are allowed like getting an AoO if someone you threaten attacks someone that isn't you, and improved combat reflexes allowing you to use two of your AoOs on one provocation at a -5 to the second attack.

There's a feat in expanded psionics handbook called stand still that makes it so when you hit someone with an AoO for movement then you can forgo doing actual damage, they make a reflex save of DC 10+damage you would have dealt. If they fail then not only do they not move, but all of their movement is used up.
    Nosce te ipsum

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by ghashxx View Post
    So with 4 AoOs available, if someone goes running past you then you will get 3 AoOs against them.
    NO.

Quote Originally Posted by the SRD
    Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity: If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn't count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.
    You only ever get one AoO for any opponent moving out of a threatened square in a turn, no matter how many threatened squares he moves out of. If he does something besides move, you can make more AoOs, but you only get the one from his movement.

Well, unless you've got Improved Combat Reflexes or something, but I've never seen asking a DM if Dragon Magazine material was allowed garner any reaction other than derisive laughter.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

14. - Top - End - #14

I always were dubious on why this half ogre makes 2 AoO...

15. - Top - End - #15

His grasp on rules and on tactics was a little off, it seems.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    His grasp on rules and on tactics was a little off, it seems.
    Whew! For a moment I thought that my grasp on rules was a little off!

17. - Top - End - #17

Huh. That spiked chain seems reasonably designed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

It's okay but I'd still prefer a meteor hammer design for my spiked chains. I don't think he should be swinging it like a flail when he needs to launch it to actually use its reach. On the other hand, there are limits to stick figure art, so I'll let it slide.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Whew! For a moment I thought that my grasp on rules was a little off!
    Or he had Hold the Line or Improved Combat Reflexes.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-11-20 at 01:55 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Combat Reflexes is very useful, but in practice I find that if you have a combo geared towards using it, it generally adds about 1 extra attack per round. Sometimes you might get 2 or 3, and some rounds you get none (especially towards the end of combat, when the mooks are all dead and you're fighting a big/strong boss, or trying to kill a caster with layers of magical protection). I've found that just adding extra attacks via other means tends to be more efficient.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Or he had Hold the Line or Improved Combat Reflexes.
    He doesn't.

He specifically mentions that he had to take 5 feats in order to create his little combo. Those feats must be: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Combat Reflexes, and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

22. - Top - End - #22

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    He doesn't.

He specifically mentions that he had to take 5 feats in order to create his little combo. Those feats must be: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Combat Reflexes, and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain).
    He also says he has to be a Half-Ogre. Can someone explain that to me? What is it about Half-Ogres that makes them necessary?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I think it was to get 15ft reach. That is why he claimed to get 2 AOOs. Due to having to move twice in his threatened area. He couldn't claim he gets 2 AOOs otherwise, but he still managed to roll high on his bluff.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

24. - Top - End - #24

I hoped to challenge my party by pitting them against a spiked chain paladin of tyranny/hexblade with 15ft reach. That should have worked except the unarmed VoP swordsage won initiative, succeeded on his defense check against the AoP and scored a critical hit reducing him to -1 hit points in the first turn of battle.

Although admittedly that PC was overdue for some awesomeness.
    Last edited by Ormur; 2009-11-21 at 09:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    You're assuming things here. You don't have to take Mobility as a feat, because you can instead take it as an armor enhancement. Now you can add Hold the Line to the list of feats taken.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You're assuming things here. You don't have to take Mobility as a feat, because you can instead take it as an armor enhancement. Now you can add Hold the Line to the list of feats taken.
    Armor enhancement? I had no idea, but even if that is true, the half-ogre in question doesn't appear to be wearing armor. Anyway, my main assumption is actually that the half-ogre wanted to be proficient with his weapon, which despite being a really good idea isn't strictly necessary.

I suppose we won't really know unless the Giant feels like telling us, but it seems like a pretty common assumption on the OOTS board that the half-ogre wasn't getting the AoO rules quite right.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

He may also be not-proficient and either eat up the -4 or use something that grants proficiency (Skilled?).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Nobody has considered that he has more than 5 feats? I mean, he said it took 5 feats to make the build, but that does not mean that he doesn't have more.

Oh, AND MOAR TARRASQUE VS. FIGHTER!!!!!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    I think it was to get 15ft reach. That is why he claimed to get 2 AOOs. Due to having to move twice in his threatened area. He couldn't claim he gets 2 AOOs otherwise, but he still managed to roll high on his bluff.
    Wouldn't you get 20ft reach, since reach weapon double your natural reach?

So I'm not the only one who thinks that the picture of the spiked chain in the PH looks like a double weapon?
    Last edited by Boci; 2009-11-21 at 12:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Wouldn't you get 20ft reach, since reach weapon double your natural reach?
    Well I just quoted the half-ogre on that.. But he might have gotten that wrong as well... He is a lying scum that tricked Roy due to his bad grades at school! You should all study hard so people won't trick you to believe they can shoot you twice on your turn just because you try to move.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.