New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Arcane casting in light armor

Hey all,

Just wondering how many ways there are for Sorcerers, Wizards and other classes who suffer ASF in any armor to be able to wear light armor with impunity?

The obvious way is the armor itself - mithral, Twilight, Featherdown etc. to bring ASF down to 0%. Or to use an item like Bracers of Armor.

AFAIK, there is only 1 way to get it as a class skill: the Urban Savant PrC in Cityscape.

...are there other ways that I've totally overlooked? The bonus with getting it without relying on the armor itself, is that you can then take the Battle Caster feat to bump it up to medium armor (hello mithral Mechanus Gear!)...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Arcane casting in light armor

dip into warmage a little? or just play one. I think the ability they have MAY limit to just spells cast as warmage.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Heh... its interesting that you would ask this just as I was wondering about the exact same thing about Heavy armor.

In the PHB under Armor and Arcane Spell Failure, it says (at the very end of it) says that any spell can be cast in armor as long as it doesn't require Somatic Components. I was like... wait what?? So... if I simply take the Still Spell feat, which make the spell cast on spell level higher, I'd be capable of casting Arcane Spells in heavy armor.

Unless I'm reading it totally wrong. Some one please fully explain this to me. I would love to cast in full plate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmover View Post
    Heh... its interesting that you would ask this just as I was wondering about the exact same thing about Heavy armor.

In the PHB under Armor and Arcane Spell Failure, it says (at the very end of it) says that any spell can be cast in armor as long as it doesn't require Somatic Components. I was like... wait what?? So... if I simply take the Still Spell feat, which make the spell cast on spell level higher, I'd be capable of casting Arcane Spells in heavy armor.

Unless I'm reading it totally wrong. Some one please fully explain this to me. I would love to cast in full plate.
    You've got that right just fine. If all your spells are stilled somehow, then bam: full plate casting for you.

Also, Spellsword from C. Warrior can ignore some % chance of spell failure.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomNPC View Post
    dip into warmage a little? or just play one. I think the ability they have MAY limit to just spells cast as warmage.
    Nope, only for your Warmage spells. Same with Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necro, Duskblade etc.

@Fastmover: yes indeed, Still Spell allows you to cast spells in any armor with no ASF...I forgot about that! (It will mean, though, all your spells are at +1 level).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Be a Bard/Sublime Chord?

A dip in Spellsword will help with ASF.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

There's a fighter ACF in Complete Mage, but it's pretty much useless even for a gish because it requires you to spend a lot of levels as pure fighter (I think the best you can do is Fighter 6/spellcasting class 14 to cast 7th level spells in light armor).

A single level Spellthief dip lets you take the Master Spellthief feat, which lets you cast all arcane spells in light armor.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gpope View Post
    A single level Spellthief dip lets you take the Master Spellthief feat, which lets you cast all arcane spells in light armor.
    Good catch, I forgot about that one as well!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Geomancer lets you ignore all ASF for arcane spells below a certain level. Exactly which level depends on your level in Geomancer, but at Geomancer 10, you can cast level 9 spells in full plate / stone body / the works. It also grants a nice bunch of Ex abilities, and has medium BAB.

The downside is that you need to use some sort of shortcut to qualify for it, otherwise you will lose too many caster levels, since it requires level 2 arcane and divine spells.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2009-11-29 at 08:33 PM.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't recall if it works that way, but I think the Runesmith allows you to replace the Somatic components with stone tablets. Or something.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    I don't recall if it works that way, but I think the Runesmith allows you to replace the Somatic components with stone tablets. Or something.
    I think it's material components, and only ones that you could normally Eschew at that.

Sorry, thinking of the wrong class.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-29 at 08:56 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There is (was?) a big list of all the ASF reducers somewhere, including ones from classes and feats. No clue where it's wandered off to, though.

Blue Ice (Frostburn) will allow you to cast [Cold] spells without ASF.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Black Ice + Snowcasting + Eschew Materials = Profit?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Depends on your DM. You'll want a bad of holding for all that snow, though. [edit] Durr. My mind obviously isn't working.

Also: http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...Lists_of_Stuff
    Last edited by erikun; 2009-11-29 at 08:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Don't forget you can use wands in armor, heck you can use them in grapples.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Just be a Demilich. They get Automatic Still Spell; no ASF ever! For something slightly more useful, yeah, there are all sorts of dips available to take care of it.

Lots of items can be built without ASF; Githcraft/Feycraft Mithril Chain Shirt is, for example, ASF 0% armor. Same goes for Mithril Twilight Breastplate. But that's not class-based, of course; I think most of those were covered already.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

17. - Top - End - #17

There's a PRC called Warmage in one of the Dragonlance books that does that, and, I believe is a full caster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Still spell plus the spells that are useful even when a level lower than normal. Higher levels are less of a problem since a number of great high level spells already have no somatic component so there's no need to bump it up with still spell.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-11-29 at 10:29 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

There's the variant sorcerer class, Battle Sorcerer. You take a painful hit to your spells/day and spells known at all spell levels , but you get to cast your sorcerer spells in light armor without ASF (also gain proficiency with light armor and one light or martial weapon, plus d8 hit dice and 3/4BAB). Combined with Battlecaster and Mithral Mechanus Gear, it might just be worth it.

(It isn't for ALL your arcane spells if you have other casting classes, but I assume you wanted it for a Sorc/Wiz)

The Spellthief dip + Master Spellthief is easier on your spells/day & known, but this gives better hit dice and BAB on your sorc levels (How long do intend to stick with sorc before PrC-ing). Depends what you want to do with this character, and hey, added for completeness.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

This is probably a stupid and obvious observation, but doesn't a level dip into Duskblade give you Armored Caster as a class skill -- I think first level cuts the ASF by about 10-15% or so?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    This is probably a stupid and obvious observation, but doesn't a level dip into Duskblade give you Armored Caster as a class skill -- I think first level cuts the ASF by about 10-15% or so?
    Armored Caster, for every class that gets it, lets them simply ignore ASF in a certain category of armor. There's no reduction- just removal of the ASF if you are in the appropriate armor class. They also only apply to spells from that class.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    A dip in Spellsword will help with ASF.
    As will a dip into prestige bard, though that costs a caster level in addition to its prerequisites.

It's probably also possible to make yourself really small and cast from inside a golem's head, but I don't feel like working out the rules for this.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Yep. I've been reading over this class for the past few days working on a build. It replaces all for your somatic components with a material one: the runic tablet you inscribed the spell on. So you can cast in armor/shield with impunity.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

There's Knight of the Weave from Champions of... Valor?

IIRC it gets armored caster in light armor at level 2 which, by the way it's worded, applies to all arcane spells.

So you could go: Wizard 5/KotW 2/UM 10/Whatever 3. That should get you 6th level KotW spells to fuel persisting.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Mithral will help, reduces spell failure by 10%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

There is the Knight Phantom prestige class from the Eberron sourcebook Five Nations. It's a pretty good class, like an upgraded Eldritch Knight with dragoon abilities (not I jump like a moron, an actual dragoon).

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!