New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Abuses of non-associated class levels

Hey all,

Just wondering what dirty tricks that you, as a DM, used with monsters and non-associated class levels? You can get some really tough opponents for their CR this way. For instance, you could throw 6 levels of Cleric on a Minotaur for a CR boost of only +3. And it would have the gear of an ECL 14 character.

...of course, sometime exactly what is and isn't an assocaited class can become a little murky. Just wondering what creative combos you've come up with to throw at your party?

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Nonassociated Class Levels
    If you add a class level that doesn’t directly play to a creature’s strength the class level is considered nonassociated, and things get a little more complicated. Adding a nonassociated class level to a monster increases its CR by 1/2 per level until one of its nonassociated class levels equals its original Hit Dice. At that point, each additional level of the same class or a similar one is considered associated and increases the monster’s CR by 1.

Levels in NPC classes are always treated as nonassociated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Abuses of non-associated class levels

I've used gate loops. I've used planar binding to get spells like astral projection far before their time. I've used magic traps Tippyverse style. I have never used non-associated class levels, those scourges of the earth.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

What's the point of 'abusing' CR as the DM? Its not a contest to see how fast you can murder your players. You have all the power. You could just say that they all get exploded by lightning and it'd waste a lot less of everyone's time than trying to min/max stats that you, as the DM, have absolute control over.

Why not just judge the actual challenge of an encounter and assign an appropriate CR using your own judgment, rather than the notoriously easily broken methods listed by WotC?

4. - Top - End - #4

Proving that you can break the game is a popular sport around here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

That and the minotaur only gets NPC wealth, not PC wealth.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Great Wyrm Dragon with 40 levels of monk? Because nothing willing associates with the monk class. [/rimshot]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin class levels are a better fit, since he will not be associated with evil monsters or else he falls .
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-01 at 08:47 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

A Dragonkin from the Draconomicon is a CR 3 melee combatant with 7 HD. You could add Sorcerer 6/ caster PrC 6 and he'd technically be CR 9, with 12th level spellcasting and a +13 BAB.

A Kobold Vampire Aristocrat 4 is only CR 3...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    Proving that you can break the game is a popular sport around here.
    Much too metagamey for me. I'll take in-character wish loops, planar bondage, or even drown-healing any day. CR has no great in-universe effect.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    drown-healing
    Not gonna lie, the first time I heard about drown healing was the day I really learned how broken the rules are. And I love it. I've still never had an opportunity to actually use drown healing, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    What's the point of 'abusing' CR as the DM? Its not a contest to see how fast you can murder your players. You have all the power. You could just say that they all get exploded by lightning and it'd waste a lot less of everyone's time than trying to min/max stats that you, as the DM, have absolute control over.

Why not just judge the actual challenge of an encounter and assign an appropriate CR using your own judgment, rather than the notoriously easily broken methods listed by WotC?
    *sigh*

Sorry, forgot to put in a discalimer that this is just a thought excercise.

***PLEASE NOTE: THURBANE DOES NOT ENDORSE THE USE OF DIRTY TRICKS BY THE DM AGAINST THE PLAYERS. INFORMATION PRESENTED IN THIS THREAD IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY, AND THURBANE INC. DOES NOT ACCEPT LIABILITY FOR INTENIONAL MISUSE IN ACTUAL GAMEPLAY***

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Just wondering what creative combos you've come up with to throw at your party?
    lolwut

This thread is going to be useful for http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=133263&page=2

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

In an online game I was playing in the party was getting uppity. We killed two dragons with little effort. Sometimes the real DM was busy, so I would throw monsters at the rest of the party to entertain them. 5 Chimeras was no big deal, and we also took down a Necrocarnum Zombie Cloud Giant.

I decided to show them how broken CR can be.

First, four kobold sorcerer 4's. They cast Blindness/Deafness, aiming for Deafness. None of them succeeded, and most of them were killed before they could cast.

Then their big brother came along. Their 40 HD Half-Fiend kobold big brother, with Epic NPC WBL. He asked the PC's what happened, Sense Motive'd them, and Blasphemy'd for a TPK. Technically CR appropriate, assuming I'm allowed to add humanoid hit dice and then Half-Fiend.

tl;dr Half-Fiend + HD + Blasphemy = TPK

14. - Top - End - #14

GnomeWizardGuy

drown-healing
    Congratulations! You have drowned into a 0 HP corpse!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingM...AndClassLevels

Hit Dice and Class Levels

Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.
    Meaning you'd want 40 HD half fiend Gnolls, not Kobolds.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

The classic abuse is to take a creature who's HD are more than twice its CR and pile on non-associated class levels. For example, a celestial giant bee 3rd level cleric would be cr 2.5. Because apparently a fly speed and natural armor (and a big int penalty) are bad for clerics. There aren't a lot of such examples (in core I think it's just celestial giant bee, mule, camel or squid). If you're willing to take 2x, a howler cleric 6 is cr 6, and has lots of advantages over a human. You can do more horrible things if you add rhd.

But, as has been said, it's pointless. CR was never designed to withstand abuse.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Much too metagamey for me. I'll take in-character wish loops, planar bondage, or even drown-healing any day. CR has no great in-universe effect.
    Actually, since Truenaming was printed, CR has been an in-game statistic that determines how important a creature is to the multiverse. Yet another reason to love hate the system.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-12-02 at 12:22 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

EDIT: Know what? This post is actually not on point. Ignore me, move along, move along... :D

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    The classic abuse is to take a creature who's HD are more than twice its CR and pile on non-associated class levels. For example, a celestial giant bee 3rd level cleric would be cr 2.5. Because apparently a fly speed and natural armor (and a big int penalty) are bad for clerics. There aren't a lot of such examples (in core I think it's just celestial giant bee, mule, camel or squid). If you're willing to take 2x, a howler cleric 6 is cr 6, and has lots of advantages over a human. You can do more horrible things if you add rhd.

But, as has been said, it's pointless. CR was never designed to withstand abuse.
    Sort of like the rest of the game, eh?

But I see your point. With player abuse, you're optimizing within constraints because you're actually constrained. DMs have no such constraints; a hypothetical DM could simply send the party against a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon and assign no XP if they win, effectively making the creature CR 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

For an example of how bad the system really is, a Kobold Adept 4 is CR 1. Try tossing 4 of those a day at a party at ECL 1.

Alternatively, a Huge Half-Fiend Air Elemental has 100' fly speed and Blasphemy at CL 16. CR 10. You don't even need to abuse the CR system to break it.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

21. - Top - End - #21

Almost anything that doesn't count Tome of Battle levels as "associated" can still benefit a lot from adding a few of them.

The Tarrasque or other many-Hit Dice brute taking a level in Sorcerer, and the Improved Familiar feat, can have quite a nasty little tank for a Familiar.

The Planetar fulfills this trope without even taking any levels. Level 17 Cleric casting for CR 16? Really?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    The Planetar fulfills this trope without even taking any levels. Level 17 Cleric casting for CR 16? Really?
    That's nothing. Check out Steel Dragn.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

If we're just talking about borked stuff now, I must once again call on the horror of the Adamantine...horror. CR 9, Disintigrate, Implosion, and Disjunction. At will. Because that's sane. I wouldn't send it against a level 20 party if I was going to play it realistically.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    That's nothing. Check out Steel Dragn.
    What's wrong with monsters being optimized?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    If we're just talking about borked stuff now, I must once again call on the horror of the Adamantine...horror. CR 9, Disintigrate, Implosion, and Disjunction. At will. Because that's sane. I wouldn't send it against a level 20 party if I was going to play it realistically.
    What does the scanner say about his caster level?
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. With my current group, I stopped caring about CR a loooooong time ago, most likely because if I were to actually award XP based on what CR a challenge is supposed to be, routine encounters would grant a level every time. Heavily-templated, classed monsters are par for the course for me. As an example...

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    ...my players are currently having their homeland invaded by an army of constructs and undead. At the end of the last session, the party (8 level 12 gestalt characters) took on the first of several dozen invasion ships, which contained:
    • 16 adamantine clockwork horrors
    • 6 phrenic nimblewrights
    • 2 shadow-creature bronze serpents
    • 9 warforged soulknife 10/fighter 6

They managed to win through amazing tactics and plenty of luck. Granted, they had 10 NPC healers and 20 NPC archers, but all they really did was provide cover from the disintegrate rays. So no, you don't need to bother with nonassociated class levels to give your PCs a hard fight.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2009-12-02 at 02:21 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    • 16 adamantine clockwork horrors
    • 6 phrenic nimblewrights
    • 2 shadow-creature bronze serpents
    • 9 warforged soulknife 10/fighter 6
    • 4 calling birds
    • 3 French hens
    • 2 turtle doves
    • And a partridge in a pear tree

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Pairodice, how long do your battles last? How much prep work do you put into a challenging encounter? How often to you forget a monster could have done X to save itself from Y?

These are all common problems for me when I DM. Unless I practice my monster vs. PC fights before hand, I usually miss out on some crucial ability that lets one of the clever casters outmaneuver me.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Pairodice, how long do your battles last? How much prep work do you put into a challenging encounter? How often to you forget a monster could have done X to save itself from Y?

These are all common problems for me when I DM. Unless I practice my monster vs. PC fights before hand, I usually miss out on some crucial ability that lets one of the clever casters outmaneuver me.
    Let's see, that battle mentioned above took about 2-1/2 hours to finish, mostly because we have 3 mostly-new and 2 completely-new players who are still a bit iffy on the rules and because we were finishing up the session at 2 in the morning. If the monsters hadn't been in a highly-defensible position (inside their landed dirigible) it probably would have gone by faster.

In terms of prep work, I have all the monsters statted out ahead of time in a compact stat block with a listed strategy so I can reference it in combat without having to practice anything ahead of time. For instance:

Cold-Iron Serpent
    Shadow Creature Bronze Serpent (N)
    Initiative +13
    HP 88 (FH 2), Speed 75, burrow 45, climb 30
    Str 25, Dex 28, Con —, Int —, Wis 13, Cha 3
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Energy Resistance (x3)
    Fort +7, Ref +14, Will +8, AC 26 (+9 Dex, -2 size, +9 natural), Touch 17, Flat-footed 17
    Attack: Bite +17 (+20 vs. holding/wearing metal) Damage: 1d6+10 P plus 1d8+16 E plus improved grab
    SQ: Construct traits, constrict, heal electricity (1/3 damage), SR 21 except vs. electricity, resist cold 35, evasion, plane shift to/from Plane of Shadow 1/day, total concealment in shadows
    Strategy: Burrow under wall to archers, attack and grab one, constrict until death; if PC comes to save archer, burrow again and ambush, else continue taking out archers.

All the stat blocks fit on one page, so I can easily reference all their abilities, tactics, and stats. It also helps avoid the "Oh crap, it would have survived if it did X" scenario.

All of this comes from experience; I've been DMing since 1e and I know the 3e rules backwards and forwards, so I can take a look at my players' character sheets and get a fairly good idea of what the party is capable of.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2009-12-02 at 01:42 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

What level were the NPC's? Cause, seriously, if there was any real difference in levels, then the battle should have quickly shifted to all the horrors casting implosion on 1 PC, which at that level pretty much means he's doomed. Then move on to another one. When the duration expires, cast it again. There, no more problem.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune