New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orisons and Cantrips: how to exploit

So, I was thinking about some various threads from a while ago, like one about "mini-wish" (prestididgitation) and the like. I started to wonder what arethe best ways to exploit the zero level spells. I created a class that, while unable to cast anything but zero level spell, can use multiple ones at once, and exploit their abilities. Anyways, I was wondering how to exploit these spells.
    Here is what I have already:
    mage hand: mess up target's brain, killing the enemy, or squeeze an artery.
    create water, followed by purify food and drink: take large chunk out of earth elemental or ground.
    Summon instrument: summon piano atop enemy's head
    Prestidigitation: easy, there is a whole thread on it.
    Lullabye+touch of fatigue+open/close (eyes): sleep time
    Terrify: inflict minor wounds: Making a will save is always scary, but then taking one damage makes them be just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    etc
    What else is there, what can be done?
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Re: Orisons and Cantrips: how to exploit

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    So, I was thinking about some various threads from a while ago, like one about "mini-wish" (prestididgitation) and the like. I started to wonder what arethe best ways to exploit the zero level spells. I created a class that, while unable to cast anything but zero level spell, can use multiple ones at once, and exploit their abilities. Anyways, I was wondering how to exploit these spells.
    Here is what I have already:
    create water, followed by purify food and drink: take large chunk out of earth elemental or ground.
    Terrify: inflict minor wounds: Making a will save is always scary, but then taking one damage makes them be just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    etc
    What else is there, what can be done?
    Summon Instrument
    Conjuration (Summoning)
    Level: Brd 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Range: 0 ft.
    Effect: One summoned handheld musical instrument
    Duration: 1 min./level (D)
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons one handheld musical instrument of your choice. This instrument appears in your hands or at your feet (your choice). The instrument is typical for its type. Only one instrument appears per casting, and it will play only for you. You can’t summon an instrument too large to be held in two hands.
    Bolded for convenience.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Most of the "exploits" you listen don't work by RAW, and no sane DM will ever allow them either. Sorry.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Not a valid target. Mage Hand works only on objects. Even for a similar but higher level spell that could target creatures, unless specifically stated otherwise you can only ever target an entire creature, not part of one.

Allow me to quote the spell description: "the spell has no effect on creatures of any type". As for using it on the ground, that's like saying you want a meal with your fortune cookie. The ground is very obviously the greater portion here, and I doubt most DMs would allow you to consider it as "contaminated water" rather than wet dirt.

Two failures here: You can’t summon an instrument too large to be held in two hands. and A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it.

And pretty much every abusive use of it I have ever seen listed is not actually valid.

Open/close does not work on creatures or parts of creatures. As for the other two, ok you've made someone very temporarily tired.

This depends on the target being very unfamiliar with magic and suspicious. Unless your DM regularly homebrews spells that do something similar with a nasty "other shoe", your target will just shrug, slightly confused, and go "is that all?"

Before you try abusing cantrips, please actually read the rules involved. Almost everything you can do with cantrips that is actually RAW valid is not abusive.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Summon Instrument
    Conjuration (Summoning)
    Level: Brd 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Range: 0 ft.
    Effect: One summoned handheld musical instrument
    Duration: 1 min./level (D)
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons one handheld musical instrument of your choice. This instrument appears in your hands or at your feet (your choice). The instrument is typical for its type. Only one instrument appears per casting, and it will play only for you. You can’t summon an instrument too large to be held in two hands.
    Oh, right. a while ago it got past my dm, so it is now used by us, so I guess I forgot that it was a house rule.
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by olelia View Post
    Bolded for convenience.
    Just have a high strength then.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

There's a darkness cantrip in BoVD that is impenetrable by anything but darkvision, and a ring of the darkhidden from MIC makes you invisible to darkvision. Constant invisibility for 2000 gp and a cantrip.

Sneak attack with ray of frost/acid splash.

Use purify food and drink on a flesh to stone/rock to mud'd creature to turn it into a pool of water, which you then dispose of.

Ghost sound to lead pursuers away from you after you hide (footsteps walking down the corridor, etc), or to scare someone with the faint sound of breathing right over their shoulder. Pass messages to someone over some distance away when you wouldn't want to shout at them for various reasons.

Mending would be useful on massive broken objects (weighing up to 4000 lbs) that have had shrink item cast on them (nice for fixing that "tinfoil hat" [see: adamantine hat] that just got cleaved in twain by the barbarian you just squashed).

Create water could very well be used with control water to make more water. Good if you also have some way of freezing water, such as if your DM rules that other cold spells (and alchemical items) have additional effects. Also note that it's an instantaneous duration spell, meaning you can get as much water as you want over time. Fill up your portable hole (potable hole?) to bull-rush enemies into before sealing up. Let 'em drown.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-12-05 at 12:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Message is great for spy missions, burglaries, or black ops in general.
    Prestigitation for cleaning up crime scenes
    Ghost sound to throw off pursuers.

And at low levels, Daze is the best thing ever. Daze has prevented TPKs on multiple occasions in my group.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

its amazing how often someone suggest summoning something heavy over someones head

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

...I created a class that, while unable to cast anything but zero level spell, can use multiple ones at once, and exploit their abilities....
    It was in a 3rd party thing that I can't find atm, but the Hedge Wizard it had did just that. He was a Wizard who preferred to be a big fish in a small pond (rural vilage), rather than studying in a fancy dan city Mage Academy.

He esentially gave up anything higher than a single 5th level spell slot at 20th level, in exchange for the power to cast all Cantrips spontaneously, infinitely and later metamagicked for free. It also had a load of new Cantrips, my favourite (and the most useless being Sour: any cow this is cast on produces only sour milk for 1 month ).
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-12-05 at 12:32 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    its amazing how often someone suggest summoning something heavy over someones head
    While you can't summon something over someone's head, you CAN teleport into midair.

And, of course, I can hold a pianoforté with 2 hands, even if I can't pick one up (though with a high enough Strength I could).

Also, I do believe you can use a saw as an instrument.

...or a bard.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Summon instrument specifically says that the instrument appears in your hands or at your feet. Summoning in general has other restrictions in the casting rules which prevent the common summon whale above his head tricks for multiple reasons.

If you can spam cantrips then multi-class to rogue and spam sneak attacks.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-05 at 12:46 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Caltrops is a easy battlefield control so long as the foes don't fly yet.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    And, of course, I can hold a pianoforté with 2 hands, even if I can't pick one up (though with a high enough Strength I could).
    It also never specifies your two hands.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Launch Bolt, the bolt is the material component for the spell. One Eschew materials later, you magically create bolts to launch...make em bigger. You have that whole gold piece, so use a larger bolt.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    It was in a 3rd party thing that I can't find atm, but the Hedge Wizard it had did just that. He was a Wizard who preferred to be a big fish in a small pond (rural vilage), rather than studying in a fancy dan city Mage Academy.
    Mongoose!

After getting unlimited cantrips, he gets at level 16 "A Better Cantrip". Sounds awesome, right?
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

it actually does specify your hands

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I home-brewed a spell SPECIFICALLY to do that. It was anvils though, not pianos.
    And that's all folks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

it actually does specify your hands
    What if you are a mountain giant? :P
    Last edited by Volkov; 2009-12-05 at 02:11 PM.
    "No extra charge!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

then your still better off just picking up a rock and throwing it

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

then your still better off just picking up a rock and throwing it
    You could use a huge giant's piano. Which would probably be as big as an elephant.
    "No extra charge!"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Just have a high strength then.
    Actually, just have a high strength and a level of Hulking Hurler. A 201-lb church bell can be held/played in both hands, and also thrown as an improvised weapon for 5d6 damage.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volkov View Post
    What if you are a mountain giant? :P
    It would size appropriate so it is huge or Colossal.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    It would size appropriate so it is huge or Colossal.
    So you summon an electric piano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Does it summon a specific instrument or just any? if any, than start a successful business by summoning and selling lots of instruments. I bet it is one specific one. They never would have let that get past them.
    A few of my teammates did once get into an arguement over you can summon a monster into someone's liver. It technically can survive there for some time. Not much, but some.
    Last edited by Brendan; 2009-12-05 at 10:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Ya gotta know the territory!"

It goes away after a certain amount of time, selling summoned instruments would be a good way of being chased out of town by an angry mob.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Does it summon a specific instrument or just any? if any, than start a successful business by summoning and selling lots of instruments. I bet it is one specific one. They never would have let that get past them.
    It has a 1-minute/level duration... good luck with that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

It can take maybe a minute or so to make the transaction and then run once they're out of sight.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

"it will play only for you"

Good luck convincing someone to buy it without trying it out first.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    This depends on the target being very unfamiliar with magic and suspicious. Unless your DM regularly homebrews spells that do something similar with a nasty "other shoe", your target will just shrug, slightly confused, and go "is that all?"

There are RAW spells that do effects that are not readily apparent. Backbiter, for example.

I believe Fell Drain and Sonic Snap makes the lowest level guaranteed level drain.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-05 at 11:24 PM.