New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Is WOTC going to stat EVERYTHING in 4th edition?

honestly. I think they're going to. we already have stats for Orcus, Dispater, Grazz't, Bahamut, Tiamat, Vecna, Demogorgon and Dagon.

Is WOTC on the track of statting every single god and demon lord in the game for 4th edition Or am I just crazy? or both?

is there anything that they haven't statted that you'd LIKE to see statted?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-12-06 at 02:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Is WOTC going to stat EVERYTHING in 4th edition?

Why not?10 characters
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Why not?
    Because they killed a bunch of them. Poor, poor Eilistraee....

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Because they killed a bunch of them. Poor, poor Eilistraee....
    Killing her off might have been the only good move they made lore-wise in 4th edition.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

They did it last edition. See books like the Fiendish Codex and Deities and Demigods. Probably only dead powers won't have any stats... and that's only if they don't get them from some adventure where they come back.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

wink Re: Is WOTC going to stat EVERYTHING in 4th edition?

It's a bit of a shame to see deities and such fully statted on the page, since that kinda... Well, it takes the mystique out of them. I prefer making the DM wing it, though I'm a homebrew heavy DM, so I'll admit a large ammount of bias there.

Of course, the dial playable level cap does go up to eleven thirty now, though, so that's probably part of it.
    Click the spoiler tag for a link to my forums!
    Spoiler
    Show

Please visit my forums! We've got a great community and a lot of excellent free form RPing!

Thanks to DrKarling for the awesome avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

This isn't anything new. Deities have been given stats since AD&D because it's fun to kill them. Gygax statted out Cthulhu among other real world deities from various cultures.

8. - Top - End - #8

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    This isn't anything new. Deities have been given stats since AD&D because it's fun to kill them. Gygax statted out Cthulhu among other real world deities from various cultures.
    All knowing = How much INT?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Cthulu isn't all knowing. Or, for that matter, a deity. Just a high priest.

Also all knowing is all knowledges at like 300. You know everything worth knowing at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    All knowing = How much INT?
    Nah, he only has IQ 20 which is "supra-genius" in AD&D terms. 21+ is god-like (which is laughable in 3E).

Cthulhu is probably the weakest "greater god" in the Deities and Demigods' Cthulhu Mythos section. You want a real fight? Hop on a Spelljammer and see if you can take on Azathoth. What's that? You approach within 1,000 miles of him? Make a save every round or go insane.

Still, if it has stats it can be killed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

That's technically true in D&D, but not in all systems. Call of Cthulhu, for example (although I'm pretty sure they had the sense not to stat Azathoth or Yog-Sothoth. Everyone below those two though...)

Anyway, D&D's been doing this since Advanced. It's hardly anything new or surprising. It's just how high-level D&D is expected to work.

I will murder someone if they ever stat out the Eberron Soveriegn Host/Dark Six deities, though. I don't care if it means the people in other settings don't think they exist, being able to question their existence is the point.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-12-06 at 03:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    That's technically true in D&D, but not in all systems. Call of Cthulhu, for example (although I'm pretty sure they had the sense not to stat Azathoth or Yog-Sothoth. Everyone below those two though...)

Anyway, D&D's been doing this since Advanced. It's hardly anything new or surprising. It's just how high-level D&D is expected to work.

I will murder someone if they ever stat out the Eberron Soveriegn Host/Dark Six deities, though. I don't care if it means the people in other settings don't think they exist, being able to question their existence is the point.
    Aren't they overdeities, though? Greater gods and below are still "mortal" in a sense that they can fade from existence but you can't kill something like Ao or the Lady of Pain that exist above everything or have total omnipotence.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Where are there stats for Dispater and Graz'zt?

14. - Top - End - #14

Nah, he only has IQ 20 which is "supra-genius" in AD&D terms. 21+ is god-like (which is laughable in 3E).

Cthulhu is probably the weakest "greater god" in the Deities and Demigods' Cthulhu Mythos section. You want a real fight? Hop on a Spelljammer and see if you can take on Azathoth. What's that? You approach within 1,000 miles of him? Make a save every round or go insane.

I find it offensive that Azathoth is even statted. No mortal should be able to reasonably consider even attempting to harm him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    Killing her off might have been the only good move they made lore-wise in 4th edition.
    Speak for yourself.

I like 4E story concepts a lot more than previous editions.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Aren't they overdeities, though? Greater gods and below are still "mortal" in a sense that they can fade from existence but you can't kill something like Ao or the Lady of Pain that exist above everything or have total omnipotence.
    Is the Lady of Pain even a deity? I'd assume that that would lead to the beliefs of her worshippers being able to constrain her, which is why she smacks it down so hard.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
    Is the Lady of Pain even a deity?
    Maybe. Probably not. The truth is, nobody knows what she is. The best guess is that she's an avatar of Sigil, a living personification of the city's will.

Aside from The Lady, the only being I hope they don't stat out is Asmodeus.

So, where are those stats on Graz'zt ...?
    Last edited by FoE; 2009-12-06 at 04:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    The former is nigh-impossible to stat, since you just go insane eventually. The latter would be pointless to fight, since if you actually, SOMEHOW, managed to slay it, the entirety of reality would end. That said, I actually want to see Yog-Sothoth stats, just to see what his abilities would be. Bonus points if they're just "stand there and take it".

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
    Is the Lady of Pain even a deity? I'd assume that that would lead to the beliefs of her worshippers being able to constrain her, which is why she smacks it down so hard.
    No, if she were a deity the belief of her worshippers would empower her. She's something else.

And if they stat the Lady of Pain...that's one of the very few things that would make me nerdrage, I think.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Give me any character, and I will give you a freeform conversion.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    No, if she were a deity the belief of her worshippers would empower her. She's something else.

And if they stat the Lady of Pain...that's one of the very few things that would make me nerdrage, I think.
    Where's Tiki Snakes when you need him? He'd have a fit about this convo right here.

Also, the Lady is not a god, nor a power, nor a mortal. She simply is. And that's all there is to it. You wanna know more? Go get lost in the Wheel and ask a cutter or three what they think about the Lady.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    They didn't in the DMG2 (where 4E's write-up on Sigil is contained), so I suspect they won't. It's made fairly clear she's not to be screwed with.

So, stats on Graz'zt? Anyone know where those are?
    Last edited by FoE; 2009-12-06 at 04:57 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, and Cthulhu is actually the Omiscifier, using infinite damage loops for infinite knowledge bonuses.

**** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Cthulu isn't all knowing. Or, for that matter, a deity. Just a high priest.

Also all knowing is all knowledges at like 300. You know everything worth knowing at that point.
    Nor is he a "real world deity"... Godzilla exists in books, does that make him real?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

stating things fills pages, pages make a book, a book can be sold.

there are companies who say "we will not do that because it will detract from the game and we love the game" WOTC isn't one of them.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-12-06 at 07:35 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by F.H. Zebedee View Post
    It's a bit of a shame to see deities and such fully statted on the page, since that kinda... Well, it takes the mystique out of them. I prefer making the DM wing it, though I'm a homebrew heavy DM, so I'll admit a large amount of bias there.

Of course, the dial playable level cap does go up to eleven thirty now, though, so that's probably part of it.
    Well, in the new 4e rules, epic levels are actually core, complete with adventures for them, and what do epic people do?

Kill gods on a daily basis.

Fixed your spelling .

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    stating things fills pages, pages make a book, a book can be sold.

there are companies who say "we will not do that because it will detract from the game and we love the game" WOTC isn't one of them.
    Edition war in 5....4.....3.....2......1.....

And the lady of pain WILL be stated, why else would they have rules for lvl 40 creatures?

BTW, the cover of MM3 for 4e has The demon queen of spiders on it, stats ahoy!
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-12-06 at 07:56 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    Edition war in 5....4.....3.....2......1.....
    What? WOTC has been doing that since FOREVER.
    they stated the gods in ADD, in 3e, and now in 4e...
    Have you tried counting how many splat books they make for each edition? This really has nothing to do with edition and does not justify an edition war.

Well, in the new 4e rules, epic levels are actually core, complete with adventures for them, and what do epic people do?

Kill gods on a daily basis.
    Well, the official WOTC stance on epic levels is "once your players become epic, they are probably going to suggest becoming gods, we say, let them. To find an appropriate encounter they can move beyond this reality, to other planes, the city of doors, etc, and fight things that can kill gods"

This is not verbatim, but a paraphrase of what I remember reading... so yes, killing gods and being gods is what epic characters do, IN ANY edition.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-12-06 at 07:58 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    What? WOTC has been doing that since FOREVER.
    they stated the gods in ADD, in 3e, and now in 4e...
    Have you tried counting how many splat books they make for each edition? This really has nothing to do with edition and does not justify an edition war.
    I didn't say it did, I'm just saying sooner or later some dude is going to attack you for that on this forum, be on your guard, the pixies are coming...

And you have a good point...
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    And the lady of pain WILL be stated, why else would they have rules for lvl 40 creatures?
    Any number of overdeities whose nature isn't intentionally left ambigous?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    The former is nigh-impossible to stat, since you just go insane eventually. The latter would be pointless to fight, since if you actually, SOMEHOW, managed to slay it, the entirety of reality would end. That said, I actually want to see Yog-Sothoth stats, just to see what his abilities would be. Bonus points if they're just "stand there and take it".
    The whole 'they go insane' thing is kinda the point of Call of Cthulu (The RPG). They statted Azathoth on page 162 of the core rulebook. Just seeing his stats is enough to force a sanity check...

They also statted Yog-Sothoth. He's basically unkillible
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.