New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Durid/Ninja

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Durid/Ninja

I play a melee-heavy Druid in a Pathfinder game with all 3.5 books allowed. We're also using the UA class-based Defense optino, which means giving up armor is very little drawback (I don't bother with the stuff anyway, because at level 11 I've already got a +7 class-based defense bonus which doesn't stack with armor).

While I know I should be hesitant to give up caster levels, given this set of houserules, would one level of Ninja (can't do Monk for alignment reasons) for Wisdom-to-AC be a good investment? I can probably make the fluff fit. A +7 or so (even higher as I go up levels) to my AC seems awfully tasty. Pathfinder nerfed Monk's Belt, so that's not an option.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Durid/Ninja

No, Ninja isn't a bad option, really. It even gets you Trapfinding; Able Learner Ninja 1/Druid 19 is an excellent solo-character for D&D 3.5; you have control and offensive casting, melee capability, companion, skill monkeyism and the ability to generate extra combat help quite easily. Oh, and the whole "defensive casting"-shtick.

So yeah, go for it if you intend to spend a lot of time in the frontline.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you're willing to spend a few feats, Fist of the Forest with get you CON to AC, instead, and it's much more Druid-ey.
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2009-12-09 at 07:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Monk's Belt. Adds Wis to AC for cash instead of class levels.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Monk's Belt. Adds Wis to AC for cash instead of class levels.
    Would be nice except:
    Quote Originally Posted by Runeclaw View Post
    Pathfinder nerfed Monk's Belt, so that's not an option.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I say go for it. You can trade trapfinding for track (it's a ranger alternate class feature in dungeonscape) and have it fit perfectly.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

With a couple exceptions (damn you, Planar Shepherd!), anything that isn't MOAR DRUID makes you strictly weaker than if you went straight-class. Druids are plain just that good. However, since they ARE that good, you can afford to lose a single level and still probably be the strongest person around, assuming you're not partying with Clericzilla, an Artificer, and a properly PrC'd Wizard.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~