New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Need Balanced Feats and Spells for Fire-based spellcaster.

One of my players is wanting a Sorcerer whose spells are almost completely focused around fire in some way. I pointed out such feats as Bloodline of Fire, Elemental Spell Focus, Blistering Spell, and Searing Spell. As for spells, he loves the Cauterize and Ignite cantrips that I created a while back (see below) and we house-ruled an arcane version of Produce Flame. He really would like to get some unique fire-based spells that deal damage or are utilitarian. I would normally undertake to create new spells and feats for this, but I've become increasingly busy at work and my free time has suffered greatly. Any ideas would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks.

Cauterize
    Necromancy [Fire]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Touch
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

With a touch of your hand there is a bright flash of light and a wave of heat that seals the target’s wounds closed.

With a touch, you cause a dying creature to become stabilized in the most painful way imaginable as you simultaneously sterilize and sear its wounds closed. This deals no damage, but causes severe pain in the victim that grants a – 2 penalty to all actions taken by that creature for 1d3 rounds.

Ignite
    Conjuration [Fire]
    Level: Duskblade 0, Sorcerer/wizard 0
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Target: One creature or object.
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial (see description)
    Spell Resistance: No

Your outstretched finger glows bright red and radiates heat like an ember, enabling you to set objects alight.

Make a melee touch attack that deals 1d3 points of fire damage and causes flammable objects (i.e. cloth, fur, oil, paper, wood, etc.) to ignite. A held object touched is allowed a Reflex save (DC = spell save (10 + spellcasting modifier)) to avoid catching fire. If the object catches fire, it is subject to the rules for catching fire in the DMG.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Need Balanced Feats and Spells for Fire-based spellcaster.

Burning Hand - Level 1
    Swift action

For one round per level one of your hands bursts into intense flame. You may make melee touch attacks for 1d4+level fire damage, or add that damage to unarmed or dagger blows. The fire is harmless to your hand, but may ignite long sleeves or any of your gear or allies it contacts.

3. - Top - End - #3

GreenSorcererElf

I don't recall if it was a real spell or a joke modification one of my friends made, but

Flamejet - level 3
    You gain a flight speed of 10'/level for one round/level, and anyone adjacent must make a reflex save to negate being knocked prone and taking d6 fire damage /2 levels. Non-prone enemies might still get attacks of opportunity on you when you leave the square, and if you are elevated at the end of the spell you fall.

4. - Top - End - #4

GreenSorcererElf

Bonfire - level 1
    Casting time - 1 full round.
    For 12 hours a large blaze hovers a couple feet off the ground, burning without fuel. It radiates warmth and light in the same radius and is as difficult to extinguish as a large bonfire. It may be used to cook and burn items, but only the incredibly unwary could burn themselves in it.

5. - Top - End - #5

GreenSorcererElf

Firebars - level 2
    Duration - minute/level

You may create 10' square per level of bars of fire. The bars glow with dim flames and have a rubbery tenacity. Cutting them has no effect although they may be burst through with a strength or escape artist check (at spell DC). Also anyone adjacent to the bars when they go up may make a reflex save to jump to the other side as they form. You may shape the bars into walls, cages, ladders, ramps or bridges, but they can only support up to spellDC*10 pounds and cause d6 fire damage /2 levels to anyone who comes into contact with them (such as by attempting to pass through). Creatures less than small size can pass through them without hindrence or damage (although animals will usually avoid them). The barrier created must be contiguous, and cannot be bent at greater than a 90 degree angle or stacked closer than 5'.
    Last edited by sdream; 2009-12-11 at 10:27 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

GreenSorcererElf

Make sure your players pick up items/spells of fire resistance/immunity. They are probably going to come in handy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

My boyfriend is thinking of doing this in an upcoming campaign (to complement my ice mage). I let him borrow Sandstorm, since I'm using Frostburn. It took a bit of searching, but I was able to download Frostburn off of the internet (since I lost my copy), so I'm betting you could find a free download PDF of Sandstorm and give it to your player.

Other than that, I guess Spell Compendium and Complete Arcane would probably have some pyro stuff. There's a lot of fire-based spells lying around.

I recall seeing a fire dancing sort of class around the Playground awhile ago, and I think it had some interesting fire-based feats?
    The poster formerly known as Riyoukaze.
    I am agile, like orange.
    onthetown

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Here's a pretty useful feat:

Friendly Fire [metamagic]
    You can modify your fire spells to only deal fire damage to those you choose, sparing any allies or noncombatants in their area of effect. This protection does not extend to non-magical fires merely started by your spells. A friendly fire spell uses a spell slot two slots higher than normal.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'm definitely subscribing to this and coming back to gather some information.

I would have to agree with the one previous poster. The Spell Compendium, and the Complete Arcane are both GREAT books for the purpose your desire.

I actually created a spell similar to Ignite, though I like yours better. Mine didn't set things on fire, lol.

Though, I think perhaps that being able to do 1d3 damage, PLUS set things on fire with it, might be a tad bit powerful for a cantrip.

Especially when comparing that it should be roughly the same except, a different name and elemental damage than. Acid Splash, or Ray of Frost or whatever it's called.
    Please check out my homebrew and P.E.A.C.H..

All of my work is for Pathfinder, but can be used for 3.5 as they are compatible enough.

Helmets

Pathfinder Druid Variant - Bonded Wild Shape

Never Die Feat

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Here you are, I found one in my collection.

Burning Spell (Metamagic)
    Your spells gain the ability to ignite your foes.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells with the [Fire] descriptor
    Benefit: When casting a spell with the [Fire] descriptor that deals hit point damage, your targets must make a Reflex save (DC equal to the spell's DC) or catch on fire (dealing 1d6 damage per round until the flames are extinguished). The spell must successfully deal damage in order to have this effect. A Burning Spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.
    Normal: Most [Fire] damage spells deal instantaneous fire damage that does not threaten to ignite the target.
    Last edited by Narmy; 2009-12-12 at 02:42 PM.

All of my work is for Pathfinder, but can be used for 3.5 as they are compatible enough.

Helmets

Never Die Feat

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This might be a useful spell if he's setting fires everywhere:

Freeze Flame
    Abjuration [Fire]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 1
    Range: 20 ft/level radius
    Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
    Saving Throw: No

All non-magical fire (whether originally started by magic or not) in the spell's area is frozen in time. It clings to whatever it is burning but does not consume it further, does not spread, and does not emit heat or deal damage. While frozen the fire can still be extinguished by normal methods such as wind, water, and smothering.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks everyone. So far this is turning out great. I appreciate pointing out using the Complete Arcane and Spell Compendium, I already suggested those books as sources for my player and while he liked some of the fire spells in those books, he wanted more.

Bonfire (by sdream) and Freeze Flame (by Lysander) look to be great spells. I think my player will also really like the Burning Spell metamagic feat (by Narmy). Great job to each of you.

Riyoukaze, Thanks for suggesting Sandstorm. There were a few spells and feats in that book that were really helpful.

Narmy, As for my ignite cantrip, I agree that at first glance it may seem a tad overpowered for a 0th level spell. Also consider that it requires a melee touch attack to hit the target, and that getting into melee range to use the spell would not be the wisest of moves for a low-level spellcaster.

To sum up, thanks and keep the ideas flowing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

MY BAD. I didn't notice that it said melee touch, I was reading cauterize. Therefore the below text is pointless. aside from the ranged touch attack version which I mentioned below after my pointless talk.

You REALLY need to list that in your feat then. As of right now, it says plain out touch.

It doesn't specify melee or range, and as such. I assumed a ranged touch attack. Which is the same as all the other 0 level 1d3 damage spells.

If you want a RANGED touch attack version.

Take Acid Splash, rename it to Ember Swarm, and the damage to fire instead of acid.
    Last edited by Narmy; 2009-12-14 at 09:17 AM.

Helmets

Never Die Feat

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Narmy,

Thanks for the idea of a ranged touch attack fire cantrip. My player even likes your spell's name Ember Swarm.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane version of fire seeds or whatever.

Also, a few of the 3.0 metacreativity powers for psionics dealt fire damage at low levels, let me try to translate them over the next few days.

Flaming shroud
    Conjuration (creation) [fire]
    Level: wizard 6
    Casting time: 1 action
    Range: medium (100ft/=10ft/level)
    Target: one creature of large size or smaller
    Duration: instantaneous
    Saving throw: reflex negates
    Spell resistance: yes
    You encase the target in a shroud of hellish fire. If the target fails their reflex save the take 1d6 damage per level (max damage 20d6).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Melt
    Transmutation 1 [Fire]
    Level: Sor/Wiz
    Components: V, S, M
    Target: Creature or object touched
    Duration: Concentration

Melt deals a slowly increasing amount of fire damage to anything you touch. On the first round it deals 1 point of damage, on the second it deals 2, on the third 3, and so on until it reaches a maximum damage per round equal to ten times your caster level which you can maintain indefinitely. If your contact with the target is broken the spell ends, making it hard to use Melt on creatures that are not immobilized.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Take these two feats:
    Spell Thematics: Fire
    Energy Substitution: Fire

Now his energy spells do fire damage, and his utility spells look like fire.

Mage Hand is a burning hand. Mage Armor is armor made of translucent flame. Shield is a hovering circle of fire. Expeditious Retreat leaves a brief, harmless trail of fire footprints.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

AnonymousWizard,

Thanks for the suggestion and the spell. Looks good so far. Looking forward to seeing the metacreativity powers translated.

Lysander,

I like the concept and it is a cool idea, but I'm not sure about the balance.

Dangerprawn,

Interesting feat ideas. I'll have to take a closer look at Spell Thematics feat. I think I have always overlooked it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Flaming shroud is horribly underpowered (reflex negates and average damage with no side effect to a single target at sixth level is bad). Melt is very OP when you consider that you can destroy practically any object with it, but that's utility, not combat.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Revan Ordo View Post

Dangerprawn,

Interesting feat ideas. I'll have to take a closer look at Spell Thematics feat. I think I have always overlooked it.
    I think with just those two feats you can do a lot. Spell Thematics is pretty much just limited by your imagination, and Energy Substitution lets him have things like a Cone of Fire (cone of cold), Melf's Fire Arrow, Firebolt (lightning bolt), Fire storm (ice storm), Fire Fog (acid fog), Otiluk's Fiery Sphere, etc.
    DangerAIM! username: dpitpg
    Bronze|Escape|Xavier|Night|Thieves|Horrors
    Order of the Spongebob by Thajocoth.
    Adventures of Bronze Squad Quote of the Week:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915
    The one time I actually roll a crit, it's against a rope and I forget my confirm roll

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Melt
    Transmutation 1 [Fire]

Melt deals a slowly increasing amount of fire damage to anything you touch. On the first round it deals 1 point of damage, on the second it deals 2, on the third 3, and so on until it reaches a maximum damage per round equal to ten times your caster level which you can maintain indefinitely. If your contact with the target is broken the spell ends, making it hard to use Melt on creatures that are not immobilized.
    Ummm... their is a better balanced Wu Jen spell under this name.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

How about this then:

Burning Grasp
    Transmutation 1 [Fire]
    Casting Time: 1 minute

Your touch deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 5d6) each round. The spell ends if you break contact with the target. Its long casting time makes Burning Grasp impractical for use it combat. Burning Grasp can heat, melt, or ignite objects depending on the material. The hand you use to touch the object is immune to fire damage for the duration of the spell.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lysander,

Not bad. I would make the following changes personally, but it isn't bad as written.

Burning Grasp
    Transmutation [Fire]
    Level: Drd1, Sor1/Wiz1
    Saving Throw: Will partial
    Spell Resistance: Yes

With a touch you raise the temperature of the creature or object touched causing it to take 1d10 points of fire damage +1 per 2 caster levels (maximum +10). For each round that you maintain contact with the creature or object it continues to take the damage. Creatures and held objects are allowed a Will save each round to reduce the damage by half.

With these changes the spell can still be used in combat, although it isn't really made for that purpose and there are better 1st level combat spells out there, but it does grant it a little more versatility making it more worthwile to learn/prepare this spell. Just my 2cp worth
    Last edited by Revan Ordo; 2009-12-17 at 08:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

That looks like a good fix!

Another spell idea:

Inner Spark
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
    Target: You
    Duration: 10 min/level
    Saving Throw: See text

The caster can emit a tiny flame from a finger at will. Turning this fire on or off or switching it to another finger is a swift action. This flame is identical to that of a burning candle and can be used for illumination or to start other fires.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Just use Ember swarm >.>

Works exceptionally well if you go with unlimited cantrips within reason.

In fact... give me a second.
    Ember Swarm
    School conjuration (creation) [fire]; Level sorcerer/wizard 0
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S
    Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect one missile of fire
    Duration instantaneous
    Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

You fire a small orb of fire at the target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. The orb deals 1d3 points of fire damage. This fire disappears after 1 round.

Alternately you can use this spell to conjure up small embers that fly within 5 ft. of you. They provide illumination equal to that of a candle and the spell lasts for 10 minutes/level. This alternative cannot be used as an attack.
    Last edited by Narmy; 2009-12-17 at 10:36 AM.

Helmets

Never Die Feat

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Inner Spark and Ember Swarm both look like keepers.

So far this is a good start as a resource for the Pyro-based spellcaster. Keep the ideas coming.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Here are some more spells:

Flame Weapon
    Transmutation [Fire]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 1
    Target: Weapon touched
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

Flame Weapon gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and causes it to deal one bonus points of fire damage. Alternatively you can give it a +1 enhancement bonus and cause one third (rounded down) of the weapon's normal damage to be dealt as fire damage instead of its normal type. The weapon glows as bright as a torch for the duration of the spell.

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang). A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.

Fireproof
    Transmutation [Fire]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 2
    Target: Object touched
    Effect: Fireproof
    Duration: Permanent

You grant an object Damage Reduction 5 to fire damage. Armor enchanted this way does not provide more protection.

Material Component

You sprinkle ruby dust (worth 5 gp/lb of material affected) on the target item.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Doesn't flame weapon, or flame blade already exist as a spell?

If it's flame blade, than flame weapon I can understand. Think that I might use that one.

Also, in the case of Elemental resistances. I.E. Fire, it's Resistance, not DR.

Common mistake, as both are essentially the same thing, and as to why we use two different terms.. I'm not sure.

I think that a flame weapon would/should be able to cast on a natural weapon, perhaps at a higher level to show mastery over the elements so as to function that.

They harm the enemy, and not yourself.
    Last edited by Narmy; 2009-12-17 at 03:59 PM.

Helmets

Never Die Feat

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Narmy View Post
    Doesn't flame weapon, or flame blade already exist as a spell?

If it's flame blade, than flame weapon I can understand. Think that I might use that one.

Also, in the case of Elemental resistances. I.E. Fire, it's Resistance, not DR.

Common mistake, as both are essentially the same thing, and as to why we use two different terms.. I'm not sure.

I think that a flame weapon would/should be able to cast on a natural weapon, perhaps at a higher level to show mastery over the elements so as to function that.

They harm the enemy, and not yourself.
    Whoops, my mistake. I guess it's just for purposes of filing. One is protection against everything with some exceptions, another is protection against one thing, so they accomplish the same thing but work differently. I'll change it.

And another spell:

Unburn
    Transformation [Fire]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One object or creature
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You undo up to 5d4hp of fire damage that was inflicted within a single round. The Unburn spell is powerful enough to turn ash back into a fully intact object. Unburn can heal living creatures, but can only repair corpses killed by fire and not restore them to life. Attempting to repair a burnt object from only a portion of the ash will result in an incomplete object.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-12-17 at 04:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lysander,

Unburn is a very interesting spell. Basically it reverses fire damage to creatures or objects. It is sort of a healing spell, but it isn't at the same time. I like it, but I'm not sure about balance. I'll have to give this one a think.