New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Goofy Character Stat Blocks (Existing Media Only)

EDIT: Oh no, everything got deleted! Just kidding, it's all in the spoilers below.

Imp_fireball

Mcninja Inspired Templates
    Spoiler
    Show

Paul Bunyan's Disease

PBD is a magical disease that forces the victim to spontaneously transform into Paul Bunyan for 1d4 hours per day, at a time of day of the GM's choosing (may vary from day to day).

Infection: Uknown (GM discretion)
    Incubation: Uknown (GM discretion)
    Symptoms: Maple Syrup flavored vomit. Tendency to transform into a giant resembling Paul Bunyan

Transforming into Paul Bunyan gives the victim the following template -

- Size is now Gargantuan
    - +24 STR, change out HD for 8d6 levels of giant
    - Proficiency with lumber jack axe (1d6 slashing/bludgeoning, 20/x2, weapon-like weapon (-2 penalty for attacking creatures, instead of -4), can be wielded in one hand or two hands interchangeably, and typically made to bypass at least 2 hardness (soft wood) or up to 5 hardness (hard wood) automatically)
    - Base speed does not change, but since the victim is most likely much larger, the spaces they occupy are more and thus their speed is naturally increased anyway.

- Victim acquires a lumber jack axe and stereotypical clothes (checkered sweater, jeans, woolen hat, and heavy work boots), which spontaneously jump into existence and are held and worn by the victim, respectively. All other items held or worn by the victim meld into the victim, only to reappear again once the victim is cured of this disease.

- Victim no longer recognizes allies or enemies. Intelligence shifts to 2. Victim can still speak.

- Victim grows a beard that cannot be removed. If it is removed by mundane means, it immediately grows back. Removing the beard with a special permanent hair removal cream is the only scientifically prescribed method of immediately curing the victim and allowing them to revert back to their original form. Of course, this potent cream also denies the victim of ever actually growing hair in the affected area.

- A collossal Blue Furred Ox may or may not appear within 1000ft. of the giant (at GM discretion). The Ox is essentially a regular ox but with stats adjusted to treat it as if it were collossal sized.

Mechanical: The beard is the shape shifted giant's source of power. The disease that shifts the victim into the form of a Giant cannot be cured by the spells Remove Disease, Lesser Restoration, etc. Only a spell such as Wish or Greater Restoration can cure the victim. Special permanent hair removal creme might work as well, at GM discretion.

Encounter behavior - Paul Bunyan will typically go into a rage, attacking everything nearest him or wandering off in spontaneuity, searching for trees to cut down.

Robot Template and Futurama Subtypes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Circuited Robot (Template)

- An circuited robot is a construct that has been made animate by means of technology and science (mainly electrical current and microchips) rather than magic, psionics, or some other supernatural force.

- Electricity Vulnerability: All robots take 50% more damage when suffering electrical damage.

- Electricity that would normally do non-lethal damage to humans instead gives robots a 'buzz'. Some robots typically consume electricity at varying currents and voltages to give them different buzzes, which disorient their core processing circuits and replicate the feelings of 'being high' in humans that consume certain chemical drugs.

- A robot can be of any size or shape. It may have any type of weapon or utility to assist it. Robots can typically modify themselves, swapping out mundane utilities or be modified by others. Swapping out weapons or 'hard wired' features that can modify mental aspects of the robot (such as a computer chip as opposed to an oven light or garborator) typically take much longer.

- Most robots can move their limbs without being connected to the actual body, however these limbs rely on sight from parts of the body that house the robot's visual components (ie. the head for bipeds like Bender). For a robot, moving a limb separated from them is a bit like directing an RC unit with precision control over its every action right down to the individual nerve on an arm or moving a mouse on a computer screen in 3-dimensions.

Mechanically, limbs can usually move at about half the rate of the main body, provided its locomotion were still attached - however, they do not have line of sight, unless the limb in question contains the robot's visual components (or if the robot has visual components that all relate to the same line of sight on different limbs). If a robot's limb is within the same robot's line of sight, the limb is not flatfooted unless that robot is also flatfooted. It uses the robot's line of sight to see, and only sees what the robot can see - it is considered blind to what it cannot see.

Neanderthal Human Racial Subtype
    Spoiler
    Show

Neanderthals are a racial subtype of humans only.

In addition to human traits, Neanderthals have the following:

- -6 Int, -4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Str

Compared to Homo Sapiens, Neanderthals are incredibly strong and hardy, able to survive in adverse conditions despite very limited technology, but are very undeveloped in learning capability or limb mobility range. Like Homo Sapiens, they can travel for extended periods without death from exhaustion and in fact have even better breathing apparatus, allowing for greater exertion. Their legs and shoulders are highly developed for remarkable power and their fore legs are shorter and thicker for greater impact resilience.

- Neanderthals can ignore up to 20ft. of falling damage by jumping down on a DC 15 jump check, instead of just 10ft. Ignoring 10ft. of falling damage through jumping down is now a DC 8 jump check.

- Crusher: Neanderthals treat unarmed damage as being one die size higher than that of a creature appropriate to their size (ie. 1d3 becomes 1d4). Any affect, such as that of a feat, class feature, increase in size category (etc.), improves the damage die by the amount it would normally improve it for a creature of their size - so if, ie., improved unarmed strike allows a 1d3 unarmed strike to do 1d6 lethal damage, it now allows a 1d4 unarmed strike to do 1d8 lethal damage.

Finally, Neanderthals, assuming they can use both hands or their teeth have a +2 to the DC to immediately break objects two size categories smaller than them through sheer strength.

- Ancestral Memory: Neanderthals must struggle incredibly to grasp even basic notions that are new or different. Depending on what those in their immediate family (clan) have learned in the past, they can acquire more common information quite rapidly with very little study or practice. If they invest ranks into skills that previous generations of their clan have invested ranks in, they acquire as much as a +2 racial bonus to those skills and the skills automatically become class skills for said neanderthal human.

NOTE: Players that wish to take advantage of 'Ancestral Memory' should provide some details of past closely related ancestors in their character's background.

- Automatic Languages (instead of those granted by humans that are not of the sub-race): Tribal Sign Language and Common (limited)

Neanderthals have strong vocal limitations, meaning they can only communicate simple instructions through common; even complete sentences are very difficult and may require a sense motive or wisdom check to discern more complex speech or Int check to identify more lengthy speech at GM discretion. This applies to any other spoken language as well. Note that there are also different forms of sign language that can exist in a given setting, and so a Neanderthal's may differ from tribe to tribe - hence, they are allowed to choose only one and treat it as their automatic language instead of the standard automatic language for humans (common).

- Depending on the setting, a neanderthal may or may not begin without literacy. Illiteracy shouldn't be assumed, as it can apply to any creature who's society is affectively stone age. A neanderthal who is also a barbarian is unaffected by such a class's illiteracy feature (unless the setting were to declare them normally literate).

Character Stat Blocks

TabletopNuke

Character Stat Blocks
    Spoiler
    Show

Frog Dragon

Character Stat Blocks
    Spoiler
    Show

------
    Anyone have any other goofy stat blocks they'd like to share? Existing, recognizable media only please.

Also, simpsons D&D where everyone plays the role of a spring field resident? I'd be game for that.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-09-24 at 10:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Goofy Character Stat Blocks (Existing Media Only)

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    [SIZE="5"]Wis 15, Cha 10
    What is this madness!? You mean to tell me Homer Simpson has perceptive and reasoning ability above that of the average human?

I'd stat him out as follows, Str: 13, Dex: 9, Con: 15, Int: 7, Wis: 8, Cha: 9. He's gotta be fairly resilient, in order to consume as much beer as he does without succumbing to alcohol poisoning. And how often have we seen Homer get sick? He also did a pretty good job building that model of the power plant for the design contest. You might want to give him a few ranks in craft (macaroni art).

Would you like me to stat out the Joker for this thread? I started on it a while back (though I never finished). I'm that nerdy.
    Keep 3.5 alive!
    Creepy psychics, shark dogs, and whatever else I feel like drawing.
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy Homebrew Setting: Breakdown

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There was, of course, at least one other thread with this theme not TOO many months ago. I mention this in case anyone wants to try there Google-Fu to see if they can find it so they can link everyone from this thread to that one... not that repeats aren't good (and FUN!), but it would seem to add to the enjoyment.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TabletopNuke View Post
    What is this madness!? You mean to tell me Homer Simpson has perceptive and reasoning ability above that of the average human?

I'd stat him out as follows, Str: 13, Dex: 9, Con: 15, Int: 7, Wis: 8, Cha: 9. He's gotta be fairly resilient, in order to consume as much beer as he does without succumbing to alcohol poisoning. And how often have we seen Homer get sick? He also did a pretty good job building that model of the power plant for the design contest. You might want to give him a few ranks in craft (macaroni art).

Would you like me to stat out the Joker for this thread? I started on it a while back (though I never finished). I'm that nerdy.
    Homer always has interesting, actually thought out (despite simple word use, etc., etc.) of explaining things. His fatherly lessons to his children always make sense, although they are very Chaotic Neutral and opinionated (something of which Marge, being Lawful Good and the wife, always disagrees with to some extent).

His low intelligence comes from simply not being a good learner, and being well... stupid. This has caused the yellow american to also be very lazy and not care about most things. That's where WIS and INT differ. Then again, he did try to write a novel at one point and fail miserably, so I could probably lower his WIS a bit.

CON doesn't work as well in terms of Homer becoming immediately exhausted whenever he tries to begin exercising. Hence, I gave him great fortitude to help him rub off the effects of alcohol (also his squishy ability saw to that... whenever he suffers alcohol poisoning, trip to the hospital and good as new!).

That said, I could probably give him ranks in Craft (Model).

Bart and Lisa would both have Perform (Oratory). Marge, most likely Profession (Housekeeping), and a few other ranks in odd skills revealed throughout the episodes.

Would you like me to stat out the Joker for this thread?
    Go ahead. But I reserve Eric Cartman.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-12-12 at 10:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

The Joker CR 18
    Male Toxin Tainted Human Rogue 12, Streetfighter (CA 79) 5
    CE Medium Humanoid (Human)

Init: +6, Senses: Listen: +1, Spot: +1
    AC: 13 (+3 Dex), Touch: 13, Flat-Footed: 10
    HP: 121 (12d6+5d8+51)
    Fort: +11, Ref: +12 (+16 against traps), Will: +8
    Immune: Mental Ability Score Damage and Drain, Mind-Affecting Effects, Pain Effects
    Resist: Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Stand Tough 2/Day
    Speed: 30 ft.
    Melee: Dagger +17/+12/+7 Melee (1d4+2, 19-20)
    Ranged: Dagger +17/+12/+7 Ranged (1d4+2, 19-20)
    or Handgun (treat as MWK hand crossbow) +18/+13/+8 Ranged (1d4+2, 19-20)
    Base Atk: +14, Grp +16
    Special Actions: Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Improved Feint, Opportunist, Quick Draw, Sneak Attack +7d6
    Abilities: Str: 14, Dex: 17, Con: 16, Int: 18, Wis: 12, Cha: 16
    SQ: Madness Score: 7, Toxic Blood (DC 21, Initial and Secondary Damage 1d3 Wis and 1d3 Con), Trapfinding
    Feats: Audacious Certainty*, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Fear Nothing*, Feel No Pain*, Improved Feint, Insane Confidence*, No One's Puppet*, Quick Draw, Unbreakable*, Unpredictable*, Weapon Finesse
    Skills: Appraise: +9, Balance: +10, Bluff: +23, Climb: +7 (+9 involving ropes), Craft (Poison): +19, Diplomacy: +17 (+10 on checks made to influence sane creatures), Disable Device: +14, Disguise: +13 (+15 to act in character, +8 when impersonating sane creatures), Escape Artist: +18 (+20 involving ropes), Forgery: +9, Gather Information: +12 (+5 on checks made to influence sane creatures), Hide: +13,
    Intimidate: +15 (+22 on checks made to influence sane creatures), Jump: +9, Knowledge (Local): +11, Listen: +1, Move Silently: +13, Open Lock: +13, Perform (Comedy): +7, Search: +14, Sense Motive: +9, Sleight of Hand: +11, Spot: +1, Survival: -6, Tumble: +10, Use Rope: +8 (+10 involving bindings)

*These feats are from my madness feat system (which actually was partially inspired by the Joker).

I used 32 point-buy for abilities and the fractional BAB and Save system from Unearthed Arcana.

The Joker's chemical dive (this is Comicverse!Joker) instilled him with his unique coloration, crazy (awesome) and poison blood, so I whipped up the Toxin Tainted template.

Toxin Tainted
    Str +2, Dex +2, Con +4
    Insanity: A toxin tainted creature gains 5 bonus madness feat.
    Toxic Blood: A toxin tainted creature has poisonous blood. A creature who bites a toxin tainted character is exposed to the poison (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con Mod, Initial and Secondary Damage 1d3 Wis and 1d3 Con).
    Challenge Rating: +1
    Level Adjustment: +1

And no, I'm not even going to try stating out Batman. The Joker was bad enough, taking about 2 hours. Batman's gotta be epic level (don't believe me? Go read Batman R.I.P.), and has some serious optimization going on. Stating out hypercompetent pop culture characters is a pain. Don't be like me. Stick with idiots like Homer.

Do you disagree with my stat block? Feel free to let me know! Just be sure to give me clear-cut reasons why, and what you think would be more accurate.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't include possessions because we all know that the Joker has accumulated a lot of filthy loot over his 60+ years of crime. I'm not going to attempt to type it up.
    Last edited by TabletopNuke; 2009-12-13 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Typo
    Keep 3.5 alive!

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hmm... I don't know. In the comic-verse, wasn't the Joker originally a down-on-his-luck actual comedian? Or at least that's one version he tells in The Killing Joke.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Hmm... I don't know. In the comic-verse, wasn't the Joker originally a down-on-his-luck actual comedian? Or at least that's one version he tells in The Killing Joke.
    He's the archetype of the multiple-choice background, but most agree it was a fall into a chemical vat.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    He's the archetype of the multiple-choice background, but most agree it was a fall into a chemical vat.
    Yeah, it's almost become canon that the joker's background is inconsistent.

Wis 13
    I also disagree with this. The man doesn't have the best perception or insight to say the best. I would give him another ability that lets him occasionally give out some interesting/well thought out advice.

And his quote isn't "d'oh"?!?! GOOD SIR , THAT IS HERESY!!!!

:P
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-12-13 at 10:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wha?

Hubert J. Farnsworth
    Medium Humanoid (Human)
    HP: 1d8-2 (2 hp)
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Init: +0
    AC: 10; touch 10; flat-footed 10
    BAB +0; Grp -3
    Attack: Unarmed -3 (1d3 bludgeoning, 20/x2 -3)
    Full-Attack: Unarmed -3
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Mad Science
    Saves: Fort -2 Ref +0 Will -1
    Abilities: Str 5, Dex 10, Con 6, Int 20, Wis 8, Cha 10
    Feats: Skill Focus: Profession (Inventor), Skill Focus: Craft (Physics Breaking Gatgets)
    Skills: Profession (Inventor) +12, Craft (Physics Breaking Gatgets) +12
    Environment: New New York
    Organization: Planet Express Delivery
    Challenge Rating: 1/4
    Treasure: Slippers, glasses, a doctor's coat, turquoise pants and a light blue shirt. May have funny gadgets.
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Mad Science: Farnsworth may use his intelligience modifier instead of his wisdom modifier for any skill related to building techy gadgets and overly complicated theories.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2009-12-13 at 11:08 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    That's why I didn't give him that many ranks in Perform (Comedy). His audience didn't regard him as terribly funny. And nowadays, his comedy routines still aren't that funny, but that's probably more due to the nightmare fuel factor. Although the Joker did apparently roll a 20 in the end of "The Killing Joke", considering he got the Goddamn Batman to laugh.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Toxin-Tainted is WAY too good to be +1 CR and +1 LA... 5 feats and stat boosts? If the madness feats are balanced as regular feats you can take, then you really need to bump those numbers up.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Toxin-Tainted is WAY too good to be +1 CR and +1 LA... 5 feats and stat boosts? If the madness feats are balanced as regular feats you can take, then you really need to bump those numbers up.
    I just bashed it together with RaceCalc, testing it applied to a human since templates work differently than creatures. I took about 15 minutes making it, so I could easily be wrong. However, bonus feats that are restricted to a particular selection aren't worth nearly as much as wildcard bonus feats (like humans have). The ability increases are only slightly better than those of the Draconic Template (+1 LA, +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Cha, and many other powers).
    Keep 3.5 alive!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    I also disagree with this. The man doesn't have the best perception or insight to say the best. I would give him another ability that lets him occasionally give out some interesting/well thought out advice.
    Well thought out advice isn't an ability, since anyone can give well thought out advice. Doing it every now and then when you feel like because you can equals WIS bonus, imo.

Again, having above average wisdom does not suggest homer is smart. He is very stupid and incompetent and that is generally agreed upon, thank you. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    And his quote isn't "d'oh"?!?! GOOD SIR , THAT IS HERESY!!!!
    Well I could have gone with 'One who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life.' but y'know. Also, originality. Suck it!
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-12-13 at 11:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Love the goofy stats Imp.
    Bender's stat block is a bit off.
    Attack: Slam +22 melee (1d8+20) or by weapon
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +22 melee (1d8+20) or by weapon

Note: You don't have to put in the modifier "bludgeoning, 20/x2" since that is standard. Also melee combat is BAB + Str Modifier + size modifer.

The improved multiattack feat is totally wasted on Bender. He'd be better off with Great Fortitude.

Bender's Fort save is +1. Constructs just don't get good Fort saves and they have no Con bonus to add. If you gave him Great Fortitude it would improve to +3.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-12-14 at 09:47 AM. Reason: wrong damage
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Zapp with Charisma 18?! Perhaps in his own mind.

Also, you need to include the characters' classes.

Seeing Bender stated out makes me happy. (I have a 40-something friend who claims Bender is his role-model and he wants to be just like him when he grows up. I should probably get new friends.) He should probably have some ranks in Bluff. Don't low alcohol levels make robots drunk? He should get a Wisdom penalty for that. On a side note, who thinks Futurama: Bender's Game was the best thing ever?

Let's get some Metal Gear Solid in here! Anyone up to it?
    Keep 3.5 alive!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Seeing Bender stated out makes me happy. (I have a 40-something friend who claims Bender is his role-model and he wants to be just like him when he grows up. I should probably get new friends.) He should probably have some ranks in Bluff. Don't low alcohol levels make robots drunk? He should get a Wisdom penalty for that. On a side note, who thinks Futurama: Bender's Game was the best thing ever?
    I called the drunkeness a morale penalty to everything (except actual attributes) that gradually stacks. If you want you can give me something better, and I'll paste it to Bender's block.

Also, you need to include the characters' classes.
    Meh, I think Lila would be the only one actually deserving of a PC level (which is hard to think of... D&D, yet sci fi flavor... something to do with martial arts, and lots of skills like Pilot and Use Technological Device).

The others are much too lazy to be anything but a bunch of HD thrown together (and of course, their own quirks). :P

You don't have to put in the modifier "bludgeoning, 20/x2" since that is standard. Also melee combat is BAB + Str Modifier + size modifer.

The improved multiattack feat is totally wasted on Bender. He'd be better off with Great Fortitude.
    Putting it in still eliminates confusion though (yes, people forget to remember that unarmed and slams are the same thing aside from damage, etc.).

Improved multiattack means he doesn't get a -5 penalty for secondary weapons, so I wouldn't consider it a complete waste (I think the main reason bender doesn't always kick ass is because he chooses not to fight to begin with, being a jerk and all). Also, considering he's a construct, he doesn't really need fortitude. The only time he'd actually show 'fortitude' is from incredible drinking, which doesn't matter really (being a construct, he is immune to poison and thus drunkeness).

But to be completely honest, I don't know very many feats beyond core.

Let's get some Metal Gear Solid in here! Anyone up to it?
    There's a lot of detail to that series that I'd have to cover. Not to mention I've never played any of the games. Dicefreaks did something pretty in depth at one point.

But one thing to note: Lots of abilities and general bad-assery doesn't necessarily mean Snake should be some CR 20 behemoth (which is what dice freaks went for, much to my consternation; you can be liberal and give him many feats while having low HD, it's not illegal, imo, if its a non-PC).

He can still get killed very quickly by a bunch of mooks he doesn't stealth properly. I also wouldn't imagine him challenging a tarrasque. So on that note... go right ahead.

Zapp with Charisma 18?! Perhaps in his own mind.
    Realistically, how else did he become Nixon's favorite face of recruitment, fleet commander, etc.?
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-12-14 at 08:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Lela might be a thug (fighter variant from Unearthed Arcana), with Improved Unarmed Strike, maybe with a few rogue levels tossed in. Lela would definitely have the Pilot skill, but I'm not so sure about Use Technological Device. Doomsday machines and the like are more the Professor's shtick. Things like laser guns wouldn't need a check, just an attack roll.

For futuristic games, I think Pilot would replace Ride, and Use Technological Device would replace Use Magic Device.

Even the lowliest commoner has class levels. I don't think slackers like Homer would have humanoid HD instead of class levels. Homer would be a commoner. The Professor would probably would be an expert.

If you're planning on stating out Fry, you'll need to take his immunity to mind control into account. By my recollection, Fry can still be frightened, so I think that should just apply to enchantment, not all mind-affecting effects. My madness feat, No One's Puppet, could be Fry's bonus feat. It comes with a penalty to Wisdom checks and Will saves, which should work just fine for the man who saw fit to swallow a softball whole.

Edit:
    There's a lot of detail to that series that I'd have to cover. Not to mention I've never played any of the games. Dicefreaks did something pretty in depth at one point.

But one thing to note: Lots of abilities and general bad-assery doesn't necessarily mean Snake should be some CR 20 behemoth (which is what dice freaks went for, much to my consternation; you can be liberal and give him many feats while having low HD, it's not illegal, imo, if its a non-PC).

He can still get killed very quickly by a bunch of mooks he doesn't stealth properly. I also wouldn't imagine him challenging a tarrasque. So on that note... go right ahead.
    Never played Metal Gear?! You're missing out! That's a hilarious series. Go watch the playthroughs on Youtube. The series abuses and insults the players, has no fourth wall to speak of, and contains more ambiguous subtext than any other game ever made.

I got too much to do, so I can't stat out Metal Gear characters, sadly.

You don't hold NPCs to the same rules as PCs? Ha, ha. We have very different DMing styles. I'm as much of a stickler for the rules towards the NPCs and I am to the PCs. I think it stems from unresolved frustration from my video gamer days, when I'd encounter NPCs with all kinds of abilities, classes, and equipment that my characters couldn't have. I also feel that the rate of abilities gained through class levels/HD helps prevent overpowered characters.

Snake couldn't take out the Tarrasque?! LIES! This is the man who takes out BIPEDAL TANKS ARMED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS on a regular basis.

Oh, and I think Commoner is weaker than Humanoid racial HD.
    Last edited by TabletopNuke; 2009-12-14 at 08:15 PM.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Snake couldn't take out the Tarrasque?! LIES! This is the man who takes out BIPEDAL TANKS ARMED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS on a regular basis.

Oh, and I think Commoner is weaker than Humanoid racial HD.
    I'm betting snake had to use stealth tactics (or something else involving intelligence) to take on nuclear slinging mechs. This just happens to contradict every D&D adventure, where the PCs always choose to take the enemy head on (and that's about the only thing CR takes into consideration).

I guess I could give Homer two levels in commoner. I mean, he's survived this long. Dicefreaks went the other direction and gave everyone who wasn't special monster HD. Another thing is that Homer, with monster HD, has more options than a commoner - he can wield more weapons, not all his saves are poor, etc.

Doomsday machines and the like are more the Professor's shtick. Things like laser guns wouldn't need a check, just an attack roll.
    UTG doesn't just cover doomsday machines though. Lila has a wrist gadget thingy that I'm sure not everyone knows how to use.

On the other hand, laser guns are self-explanatory - just point and pull trigger. The difference being that you might be horribly bad at hitting a target (non-proficient) or trained (proficient, BAB, etc.).

Other futurama weapons are hilarious too.

Calculon: "What dueling weapon do you desire, good sir?"
    Bender: "Annihilatoratron *something something*!"
    *weapon creates all consuming plasma/fire ball the size of a human torso*
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-12-14 at 08:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't stat leela to be more than 3 levels at most though. Zapp MIGHT be level 4 or 5, just by virtue of being around so many conflicts and being able to sponge experience off of everyone around him.

Fry is probably a level 2 commoner (Level 2 commoner / Level 1 expert if you consider Lars).

The Professor, for some reason, I thought would be one of the highest level characters in the Futurama crew, just by virtue of being so old. The problem with doing him in D&D is that as an expert he's not really capable of making doomsday devices (unless doomsday devices are basically just epic craft skill checks). Such things feel more like what the arcane casters/crafters fill.

If we were to refluff magic as technology, then the professor could easily be a level 6-7 arcane caster of some type who simply has a REALLY low CON (again, on account of being 161 years old), and just doesn't pick spells that make him good adventuring.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

I'm betting snake had to use stealth tactics (or something else involving intelligence) to take on nuclear slinging mechs. This just happens to contradict every D&D adventure, where the PCs always choose to take the enemy head on (and that's about the only thing CR takes into consideration).
    WHAT? Of course you can make a stealth, intelligence, or intrigue-based D&D adventure. There's a section in the DMG about awarding XP for story accomplishments. This is actually a major focus of the Eberron setting. A game I DM'd once involved infiltrating an assassin's guild to take it out from the inside. If we'd tried to destroy it be force we'd have been goners for sure.

UTG doesn't just cover doomsday machines though. Lila has a wrist gadget thingy that I'm sure not everyone knows how to use.
    Has Lela ever hacked a computer? If she has then she'd have UTD for sure.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think she has though... not to my recollection anyway.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    I don't think she has though... not to my recollection anyway.
    Then I guess she wouldn't have any ranks in UTD.

I want to make a tech-based class based on the artificer. Techcrafter is the best name I have for it now, and I'd be happy to hear any other suggestions. That seems like a good class for the Professor.

As far as the Professor's ability scores go, if we are using typical aging modifiers, he'd have -6 Str, -6 Dex, -6 Con, +3 Int, +3 Wis, +3 Cha. He'd totally senile, so I don't know what you wanna do with that Wisdom bonus.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Has Lela ever hacked a computer? If she has then she'd have UTD for sure.
    Well if that's all UTD covers then how do you cover familiarizing with new technology period (stuff that isn't a weapon or armor which by virtue would be covered by Exotic Weapon Proficiency)?

He'd totally senile, so I don't know what you wanna do with that Wisdom bonus.
    Give him the trait (or minor flaw in this case) 'senile'. WIS is penalized instead of upgraded.

WHAT? Of course you can make a stealth, intelligence, or intrigue-based D&D adventure. There's a section in the DMG about awarding XP for story accomplishments. This is actually a major focus of the Eberron setting. A game I DM'd once involved infiltrating an assassin's guild to take it out from the inside. If we'd tried to destroy it be force we'd have been goners for sure.
    Still, XP means levels, which means increased HD, which means players will eventually be taking things head on to get it done the job done more quickly. Solid Snake never takes a mook head on (in all his years of accomplishment and XP) unless it's like one mook.

And my point about CR stands.

If we were to refluff magic as technology, then the professor could easily be a level 6-7 arcane caster of some type who simply has a REALLY low CON (again, on account of being 161 years old), and just doesn't pick spells that make him good adventuring.
    I think we need to step away from the 'anything useful is always magical, just refluffed' psychological stand point. Technology has different rules than magic, and, particularly in my D20 SC draft, I'm trying to assert that.

One of the ideas is that 'highest level wins' may not always apply. Money means even more (before GMs would probably not allow PCs to purchase epic artifacts with their mountains of gold, simply by virtue of them being epic artifacts). Also, there's a lot more complexity in terms of getting past things like the law wherever its jurisdiction applies, association (which comes with occupation), modern warfare logistics, and other things. I'm still mulling over how to incorporate that, however.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-12-15 at 12:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Well if that's all UTD covers then how do you cover familiarizing with new technology period (stuff that isn't a weapon or armor which by virtue would be covered by Exotic Weapon Proficiency)?
    I like to look at it this way. Some magic items, for example a belt of giant strength, don't require any kind of check to use. This would be the equivalent of a tech device that had a button you pressed to activate it. Other magic items, a scroll for example, do require a UMD check. This is like a tech device that is complicated to use, required all sorts of calibration and careful programming. Hacking would also be a UMD check.

As far as familiarizing oneself with technology, someone from the standard D&D setting might not know right away how to turn on a computer (Zoolander, anyone?). Meanwhile, someone from modern times wouldn't know how that a shocking burst sword has a command word to activate or deactivate it.

I think familiarity would have to be ruled based on the character's background. Like how Fry didn't know how all the futuristic stuff worked at first. But later on he got along just as well as everyone else.

I think we need to step away from the 'anything useful is always magical, just refluffed' psychological stand point. Technology has different rules than magic, and, particularly in my D20 SC draft, I'm trying to assert that.

One of the ideas is that 'highest level wins' may not always apply. Money means even more (before GMs would probably not allow PCs to purchase epic artifacts with their mountains of gold, simply by virtue of them being epic artifacts). Also, there's a lot more complexity in terms of getting past things like the law wherever its jurisdiction applies, association (which comes with occupation), modern warfare logistics, and other things. I'm still mulling over how to incorporate that, however.
    What is D20 SC? If you have been holding out on me about sci-fi hombrew, I am deeply enraged.

I'm including legal issues in my Breakdown setting. Anything involving genetic engineering or the supernatural is black market. People are scanned for psychic or magical powers at their mandatory annual checkup. The government carefully monitors and regulates people with supernatural abilities. If someone discovers that they have supernatural abilities, and they don't want to be controlled by the government, they have to find an unlicenced doctor for any medical needs they may have. As you can imagine, back-alley doctors is a booming business.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

I like to look at it this way. Some magic items, for example a belt of giant strength, don't require any kind of check to use. This would be the equivalent of a tech device that had a button you pressed to activate it. Other magic items, a scroll for example, do require a UMD check. This is like a tech device that is complicated to use, required all sorts of calibration and careful programming. Hacking would also be a UMD check.

As far as familiarizing oneself with technology, someone from the standard D&D setting might not know right away how to turn on a computer (Zoolander, anyone?). Meanwhile, someone from modern times wouldn't know how that a shocking burst sword has a command word to activate or deactivate it.

I think familiarity would have to be ruled based on the character's background. Like how Fry didn't know how all the futuristic stuff worked at first. But later on he got along just as well as everyone else.

What is D20 SC? If you have been holding out on me about sci-fi hombrew, I am deeply enraged.

I'm including legal issues in my Breakdown setting. Anything involving genetic engineering or the supernatural is black market. People are scanned for psychic or magical powers at their mandatory annual checkup. The government carefully monitors and regulates people with supernatural abilities. If someone discovers that they have supernatural abilities, and they don't want to be controlled by the government, they have to find an unlicenced doctor for any medical needs they may have. As you can imagine, back-alley doctors is a booming business.
    D20 SC is D20 StarCraft. It uses 3ed D&D rules as its base (that way, it allows for more easier translation and application to a campaign; also all the classes already in D&D give players more options). It's kind of a long process right now, since I'm getting the idea that few have attempted it and have just stuck with d20 modern.

As for UTD, Tech Craft and Knowledge: S&T - here's how I'd put it. Eventually we can make it 'official' once we've eliminated any confusion.

UTD applies whenever a tech device is complicated. Other times, a device merely involves familiarizing yourself with it (which depends on character background), trial and error or an instruction manual.

Tech Craft is required to understand how a device works, or to recognize what caused an effect (say you see an explosion... you might recognize that it came from a phosphorus grenade with a Tech Craft check versus the design DC of the item). Tech Craft can also be used to design items, assuming you have enough XP and time. Assuming you have the right materials, and the associated craft skills, you may also build a device you've designed (this is why engineers hire others to physically build stuff for them; they don't have enough skill points to go around). Designed items usually come in blue prints which can be copied and function much like scrolls for custom spells (except they don't 'activate'; they're mundane and must be studied, usually reducing the time it takes to craft a given item, since then you don't have to draw up blueprints for it and spend XP, etc.).

NOTE: The act of copying a blue print does not require a Tech Craft check; instead, it's a Knowledge: Science and Technology check to interpret what it means.

Finally, you can determine the inner workings of a machine with tech craft. Succeeding on a DC to observe the item gives you a circumstantial bonus to Craft checks made to repair the item. This only applies to mundane (non-magical, non-psionic) items.

Knowledge: Science and Technology is there to cover all bodies of science (so none of that knowledge: earth and life sciences/physics/etc. bogus, although we might have to include some logic for why scientists specialize and not simply do everything willy nilly in this universe - maybe a given character will have a repertoire for a body of knowledge in the 'science' category). A high enough check can give a bonus to Tech Craft checks to design an item or Use Technological Device checks to use an item. It can also assist in other checks such as appraise, and disable device.

Finally, blueprints can be interpreted with Knowledge: Science and Technology - the DC depending on the complexity of the blueprint. Knowledge: Science and Technology can also tell you if the blueprint would help build something that actually works (or if its a bad copy/completely faulty/designed by a poor engineer, etc.).

More about science 'specialization' - Since skills like 'Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering' and 'Knowledge: Nature' will still exist, science and technology won't include them as part of the character repertoire.
    ------

Blue Print 'Level' - What determines blueprint level? Perhaps the cost to build the item after wards? The amount of XP that went into the design phase?

As far as familiarizing oneself with technology, someone from the standard D&D setting might not know right away how to turn on a computer (Zoolander, anyone?).
    In a nutshell -

Use Technological Device: Find out how to turn on a computer.

Tech Craft: Design a Computer from scratch. Observe a computer and recognize how all the internal parts go together to make it work.

Knowledge (Science and Technology): Understand the underlying theories and equations that the design of a computer depends on (not necessarily remember, but can recognize them when reading them). Can interpret the blue prints for the design of a computer and instruct others on how to build one.

The same things could apply to computer soft ware. Coding a program is Tech Craft. Hacking on a whim or time limit (pretty much impossible without the aid of some kind of software in real life) is Use Technological Device. And Knowledge: Science and Technology is the ability to interpret and explain each of the modules of the software and how it all goes together.

Realistically, you can be one guy without having a clue how to be the other.
    --------

We should probably take this discussion to another thread.

Over there, I can explain why all the D&D classes (at least the core ones) can still exist in Sci Fi.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-12-21 at 11:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

I like were you've gone on those sci-fi skill ideas. They were almost exactly what I had in mind, the main difference being Knowledge (Science and Technology)

I thought that was a bit too broad a category. For Breakdown, I figured that Knowledge (Nature) would cover biological and earth sciences. Physics could be Knowledge (Psysics) (or a part of Nature). Knowledge (Technology) is pretty self-explanatory, and might include Architecture and Engineering. The knowledge checks for robots (the Breakdown equivalent of constructs) and the like are part of Technology, so A&E isn't as useful on it's own. Alchemy would be replaced by Chemistry and gain a Skill Synergy from Knowledge (Physics) (and vice-versa).

We should probably continue this line of thought over on the Sci-Fi thread.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The main reason that Bender shouldn't get the Improved Multiattack feat is that he doesn't have any secondary attacks. At least none are listed in his attack line. That's why it is a wasted feat.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    The main reason that Bender shouldn't get the Improved Multiattack feat is that he doesn't have any secondary attacks. At least none are listed in his attack line. That's why it is a wasted feat.

Debby
    What would you suggest to replace it?

EDIT: *snaps fingers* That's right, great fortitude.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-12-28 at 10:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Thanks for taking my suggestion. I love what you're doing. Is there any chance of Dr. Zoidberg showing up?

Debby

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Would Zoiberg be Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, or Aberration?
    Keep 3.5 alive!