New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [4e] Transfer Enchantment... does this work?

Can I use the ritual to transfer the properties of say, a Craghammer or Executioner Axe to a, in this case, Mordenkrad, to create a weapon that has 2d6 hit, Brutal 2, High Crit/Versatile?

I feel like I'm treading onto thin ice, but nothing in the character maker seems to say otherwise. If this is possible, I might be multiclassing the character into Bard for the Arcana training...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Transfer Enchantment... does this work?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Shackleford View Post
    Can I use the ritual to transfer the properties of say, a Craghammer or Executioner Axe to a, in this case, Mordenkrad, to create a weapon that has 2d6 hit, Brutal 2, High Crit/Versatile?

I feel like I'm treading onto thin ice, but nothing in the character maker seems to say otherwise. If this is possible, I might be multiclassing the character into Bard for the Arcana training...
    Uhhh, No. Transfer Enhancement is for transferring Magical enhancements, not weapon properties.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You can transfer the Enchantment of an item, not its base properties. So, if you find a +3 Jagged Executioner's Axe in a dungeon, but your character uses Fullblades, you can transfer the "+3 Jagged" enchantment to the fullblade with the ritual.

So no, your idea does not work, because that is not dealing with enchantments but rather basic properties.

EDIT: Ka-Ninja'd. Just my luck...
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-12-13 at 11:54 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aw man, I wanted to make a high crit, heavy thrown, light thrown, versatile, brutal 2, small, +3, off-hand, two-handed, defensive, 2d6, reach weapon by transferring a drow long knife to a dagger to a khopesh to a talenta whatever to a parrying dagger to a craghammer to a maul to a kukri to a spear

Did anyone else notice that not only is the OP transferring weapon properties, they are stacking them as they go too? Both are illegal.

Edit: Forgot reach!
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2009-12-14 at 12:04 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drat. I saw the word properties, and I thought, "Yay, brutaller attack damage!"

Oh well. Thanks everyone.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    Aw man, I wanted to make a high crit, heavy thrown, light thrown, versatile, brutal 2, small, +3, off-hand, two-handed, defensive, 2d6, reach weapon by transferring a drow long knife to a dagger to a khopesh to a talenta whatever to a parrying dagger to a craghammer to a maul to a kukri to a spear

Did anyone else notice that not only is the OP transferring weapon properties, they are stacking them as they go too? Both are illegal.

Edit: Forgot reach!
    I wasn't stacking them, either the Axe or Hammer would've added the Brutal 2 I wanted, and one of two other properties, hence High Crit/Versatile.

I'm not that stupid.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by R. Shackleford View Post
    I wasn't stacking them, either the Axe or Hammer would've added the Brutal 2 I wanted, and one of two other properties, hence High Crit/Versatile.

I'm not that stupid.
    He meant that it should replace the other properties, as it does to other magical enhancements.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

You know what sucks? I find it hard to convince my DM that I can transfer my low level +1 cloak with a good enchantment property to a +3 cloak of useless enchantment property so that I end up with a +3 cloak with a good enchantment.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh, that's because you can't. It would be quite overpowered if you could.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingRangerGuy

because by RAW you can't. Like put your dwarven+1 armor enchantment onto you +5 tactician's for a +5 dwarven? it would work with a +5 magic though. ^_^

edit: nin-jaaaah!
    Last edited by cupkeyk; 2009-12-14 at 01:29 AM.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    He meant that it should replace the other properties, as it does to other magical enhancements.
    Exactly, if you could use Transfer Enchantment with weapon properties you'd end up with a Mordenkrad that functions exactly like a Craghammer getting you a net gain of nothing.

Edit: I think I'll call my earlier abomination the 'Omniblade' and make it an ultra-mega-superior weapon, you need to take 3 separate feats to even qualify for it. Even then it might be too powerful. Oh, and it apparently fits into the hammer, spear, axe, light blade, heavy blade groups... need to work polearm, mace, staff, and whatever else I forgot in there.
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2009-12-14 at 01:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    because by RAW you can't. Like put your dwarven+1 armor enchantment onto you +5 tactician's for a +5 dwarven? it would work with a +5 magic though.
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying here, but I doubt it's correct.

Transfer +1 Dwarven to +5 Tactician gives you +1 Dwarven (and thus isn't very smart).

Transfer +1 Dwarven to +5 Magic gives you +1 Dwarven (again, not very smart).

Transfer +5 Magic to +5 Tactician gives you + 5 Magic (see the pattern here?).

Ultimately Transfer Enchantment is good only for moving a weapon or implement enchantment from one type to another (eg. longsword to warhammer) or an armour enchantment from one type to another (eg. chainmail to scale mail).

In either case, I believe that the enchantment must be valid on both items for the transfer to be successful.
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

The target has to be legal for the enchantment, as well, doesn't it? No putting Vorpal Weapon on a whip.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    You know what sucks? I find it hard to convince my DM that I can transfer my low level +1 cloak with a good enchantment property to a +3 cloak of useless enchantment property so that I end up with a +3 cloak with a good enchantment.
    A level 5 cloak is a +1 cloak with a great property. It costs 2.3x as much as a level 1 item.
    A level 11 cloak is a +3 cloak with no property. It costs 25x as much as a level 1 item.
    A level 15 cloak is a +3 cloak with the same great property. It costs 2.3x times as much as the level 11 cloak, or 58x as much as the level 1 cloak.

As described, burning a level 5 cloak and a level 11 cloak (totalling 27x as much as a level 1 cloak) produces a level 15 cloak (costing 58x as much as a level 1 cloak).

You can see how this would be ridiculously good. :-)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    You know what sucks?

Oh, I can't finish this sentence.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Banzai View Post
    You know what sucks?
    Working in an airless environment would suck the air right out of me.

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingRangerGuy

and a thermobaric warhead too
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by kc0bbq View Post
    The target has to be legal for the enchantment, as well, doesn't it? No putting Vorpal Weapon on a whip.
    That's what I said
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2009-12-15 at 12:20 AM.
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.