New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Test of Spite [3.5.3]

I'm glad to see you back!
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Troll in the Playground

Well, this is kinda weird.

I was doing some homebrewing, and got into the idea of actually figuring out the Eternal Wand total cost. As you know, that cost is a tad weird, specifically since it doesn't correlate to normal wands.

Then I figured it out:

Spell level x caster level x 1,800 (thus, it is considered as if using a command word as per DMG rules) x 2/5* +100.

*The rules are based on the charges per day. Basically, to determine items with between 1 to 5 charges that replenish per day, you have to divide the cost by 5 divided by the number of charges (in this case, two). Mathematically, it means this:

X/5/2 = X * (2/5), with X being the cost of the item.

The trouble was that 100 added to the end of the calculation cost. Apparently, the idea was that Eternal Wands were never going to be made with higher caster levels, so they threw this little spanner in the works.

I made a quick check on the calculator, and the costs are consistent (including 0 level spells, which are counted as 1/2 for purposes of spell level). Might wanna check that out, see if all four are consistent and then check the results with higher caster levels?

I presume this won't de-ban Eternal Wands, but it's a good try as it goes. At least it clarifies a mystery, no?
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 2010-04-24 at 08:11 PM.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Also another question:

Can you use Versatile Spellcaster to cast a higher spell level runestaff than you currently have access to?

E.g. Currently lvl 14, can cast up to level 7 spells, but can I sack 2 7th level spell slots to activate my 8th Spell Level runestaff?
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 sharnian View Post
    Can you use Versatile Spellcaster to cast a higher spell level runestaff than you currently have access to?

E.g. Currently lvl 14, can cast up to level 7 spells, but can I sack 2 7th level spell slots to activate my 8th Spell Level runestaff?
    I doubt it, but that depends on what the DMs say and what RAW says. RAW, you expend two spell slots of X level to cast a spell of X+1 level that you know. Runestaffs allow you to expend one slot of a spell level equal or higher than the spell you intend to cast. You aren't considered to know those spells, hence you can't use your Versatile Spellcaster-granted "spell slot" to cast a spell from a runestaff.

But, that's just me.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olo Demonsbane View Post
    Ad: Tier 2-1.5 or so? I think I've got one.
    Since you're not online right now, but Phoenix is, I think I'll fight him first. We can have a fight later, though, if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    I've got a caster/Manifester that qualifies as about tier 1.
    Excellent. Buffs 3+all day, map river?

Thread:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...49#post8369649
    Last edited by Adumbration; 2010-04-25 at 02:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Well, this is kinda weird.

I was doing some homebrewing, and got into the idea of actually figuring out the Eternal Wand total cost. As you know, that cost is a tad weird, specifically since it doesn't correlate to normal wands.

Then I figured it out:

Spell level x caster level x 1,800 (thus, it is considered as if using a command word as per DMG rules) x 2/5* +100.

*The rules are based on the charges per day. Basically, to determine items with between 1 to 5 charges that replenish per day, you have to divide the cost by 5 divided by the number of charges (in this case, two). Mathematically, it means this:

X/5/2 = X * (2/5), with X being the cost of the item.

The trouble was that 100 added to the end of the calculation cost. Apparently, the idea was that Eternal Wands were never going to be made with higher caster levels, so they threw this little spanner in the works.

I made a quick check on the calculator, and the costs are consistent (including 0 level spells, which are counted as 1/2 for purposes of spell level). Might wanna check that out, see if all four are consistent and then check the results with higher caster levels?

I presume this won't de-ban Eternal Wands, but it's a good try as it goes. At least it clarifies a mystery, no?
    Yeah, I came to that weird conundrum of why they have that 100 gp thrown in when I tried my hand at finding a formula for Eternal Wands, since I wanted a higher level Eternal Wand than what's provided by the MIC. It's simply bizarre, indeedly. Way to go, Keith Baker, on having weird math in your item creation formulas.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Orc in the Playground

Wait, eternal wands are banned?

8. - Top - End - #1418

BlackDragon

When making a construct are you stuck with the pre-chosen feats, or can you replace the HD granted ones? Same with skills.
    I am:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadLinguist View Post
    Wait, eternal wands are banned?
    Nope, but custom ones are technically not allowed because the formula's not explicit. Not that explicit formulas make things less broken, mind you.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Nope, but custom ones are technically not allowed because the formula's not explicit. Not that explicit formulas make things less broken, mind you.
    Explain that lack of explicitness on the formula. It's pretty explicit: spell level (limited to 3rd), caster level, two uses per day so the magic item is considered charged, it's spell trigger so it's basically command activated (and hence, the spell level times the caster level is further multiplied by 1,800 gp). The 100 gp may be because the Eternal Wand uses an Eberron dragonshard with that cost (all Eternal Wands require the use of a Eberron dragonshard, which is added to the cost as far as it seems). That's what makes it different from a regular wand, so to speak.
    On Lawful Good:

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Barbarian in the Playground

I doubt it, but that depends on what the DMs say and what RAW says. RAW, you expend two spell slots of X level to cast a spell of X+1 level that you know. Runestaffs allow you to expend one slot of a spell level equal or higher than the spell you intend to cast. You aren't considered to know those spells, hence you can't use your Versatile Spellcaster-granted "spell slot" to cast a spell from a runestaff.

But, that's just me.
    Which means that you can do so by RAW, but only if you're a beguiler, warmage, or dread necromancer, or a wizard with the ability to somehow use Versatile Spellcaster to memorize spells in a higher spell slot. In any of those cases, you "know" the spell that you're sacrificing in that higher-level spell slot, and therefore it works.

Other than that, Oskar is correct.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Orc in the Playground

By custom eternal wands do you mean "eternal wands with a different caster level than printed for a particular level spell" or what?

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadLinguist View Post
    By custom eternal wands do you mean "eternal wands with a different caster level than printed for a particular level spell" or what?
    Exactly that. Basically, you can make a Eternal Wand of Enlarge Person with CL 1st and pay the 820 gp that it costs. "Custom" in this case means having one wand with higher CL, since the costs for the wands are the same.

Though, in any case you find a spell with a costly material component, you can't use that either. Not sure about that last one.
    On Lawful Good:

14. - Top - End - #1424

Planetar

@Doc Roc and/or Claudius Maximus
    Do you have any idea how long it will approximately take you to check my character? I know about the constant lack of sheet checkers, but a rough estimate would be nice to have. I also asked in the match-thread, but you probably didn't see that.

15. - Top - End - #1425

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    @Doc Roc and/or Claudius Maximus
    Do you have any idea how long it will approximately take you to check my character? I know about the constant lack of sheet checkers, but a rough estimate would be nice to have. I also asked in the match-thread, but you probably didn't see that.
    The general answer is "when we can". It's something we do in our spare time, around jobs, family obligations, and the like. It's hard to give time estimates on our spare time.

16. - Top - End - #1426

Planetar

Okay, thanks. I guess I should have added a smiley or something, on rereading, I noticed that I might have come across far more demanding than I wanted too.

17. - Top - End - #1427

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Okay, thanks. I guess I should have added a smiley or something, on rereading, I noticed that I might have come across far more demanding than I wanted too.
    Oh, it's no problem or issue. There are several sheet checkers, and little coordination, as it's all done in our spare time. That makes estimates devilishly difficult to be accurate.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ettin in the Playground

After may 12th, I'll be actively checking sheets again.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm checking sheets, but sloooowly, as I'm also revising for my exams, designing two different floors for the NED, running a lot of chars through the NED, and trying to still not be a total social recluse.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground

Aharon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I put a hold on checking your character for now since I'm waiting for Doc Roc to get back with rulings on a bunch of your tactics. So far all he's said is that Defending weapons do stack for now since we never made his former ruling against them official.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

21. - Top - End - #1431

Anyone had a chance to look at the guy i submitted?

22. - Top - End - #1432

I'm doing that one...got a bit more to check (items and skills)

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ettin in the Playground

The 100 gp may be because the Eternal Wand uses an Eberron dragonshard with that cost (all Eternal Wands require the use of a Eberron dragonshard, which is added to the cost as far as it seems).
    That...actually makes a lot of sense, put that way...that 100 gp is a component cost for an appropriate dragonshard. So basically, I'm failing to see why we couldn't be allowed to custom up an Eternal Wand like a regular wand, other than the fact that it's not explicitly available via the MIC to change CLs or use spells with expensive components. Unless there's some hack to be opened up via making custom CL Eternal Wands, I don't see what's really out and out wrong with that, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo Demonsbane View Post
    Hey, I think several people here will be interested in this:

Fistbeard Beardfist and the Fountain of Unlikely Chance
    That was pretty hilarious, actually, especially with the cameo of a Gia monk early on. =P

I'm just kinda confused by how Iago has an Eternal Wand of Lesser Restoration, as I can't think of an arcane list that has that spell on it. Unless it was made by a dragon or something, I don't see how that's legit. I'm also semi-wondering what Kotor actually is besides a Dragonwrought Kobold Rogue, possibly with some UMD or Sorcerer levels.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2010-04-26 at 03:33 PM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #1434

NecromancerGuy

Any DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are Favored/Primary Contact valid early entry methods in the current ToS environment? They are not called out as banned in the OP, but stuff changes.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ettin in the Playground

It has come to my attention that, technically speaking, at least one call of cthulhu book is ToS legal.

Ooops.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooops.
    Oops? Or do you mean Ia! Ia!

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ettin in the Playground

I give vile feats. Oops is definitely what I meant.

Certainly not HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HA.

I will literally ship a bottle of wine to the first person to win a duel by relying on material from the WotC Call of Cthulhu line, contingent on proof of legal age.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-04-26 at 06:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1438

I will literally ship a bottle of wine to the first person to win a duel by relying on material from the WotC Call of Cthulhu line, contingent on proof of legal age.
    That's me out, then.

Amphetryon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While that feat gives you an additional rank above and beyond the normal maximum, it does not actually raise the maximum. RAW, it may give you early entry if you happen to take it the level before you are entering, for example a requirement of 10 ranks can be met by taking it as your level 6 feat. The problem is, at level 7, your cap is still 10.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2010-04-26 at 07:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    That's me out, then.

Amphetryon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While that feat gives you an additional rank above and beyond the normal maximum, it does not actually raise the maximum. RAW, it may give you early entry if you happen to take it the level before you are entering, for example a requirement of 10 ranks can be met by taking it as your level 6 feat. The problem is, at level 7, your cap is still 10.
    It gets less clear if you use psychic reformation, or dip chameleon, but both of those are corner cases, to my eyes.

30. - Top - End - #1440

It gets less clear if you use psychic reformation, or dip chameleon, but both of those are corner cases, to my eyes.
    The use that Char Op has been touting since that book was released doesn't actually work. All I'm saying.