New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Bard 100

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Bard 100

I became rather curious for no known reason not all that long ago. "What could I do with a hundred levels in bard?"

So, rather then spend days investigating various feats only to be massively outclassed by better optimization. In any case, here is the thought.

-100 levels, with at least a few in bard. I'm mostly looking for something to inspire a party. That being said...
    - The whole point of this particular idea is to buff the party up to it's maximum.

That being said... how would I go about doing that?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bard 100

100 levels? Why in God's name would you do that? The game basically breaks down at level 21, 79 levels earlier.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    100 levels? Why in God's name would you do that? The game basically breaks down at level 21, 79 levels earlier.
    Because I'm bored, curious, and my gaming group is really busy right now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Bard 10/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 10/Bard 10/Warchanter 10/Legendary Captain 10/Anything else that progresses Bardic Music. The key is boosting that to unreasonable heights(Song of the Heart, Dragonfire Inspiration), and grabbing Epic Spellcasting along the way. Then winning everything, ever.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5

The responses you'll get are take 20 levels of bard, and then 20 levels of wizard, and wizard prcs, and then cleric and cleric prcs, and get epic spellcasting, and craft an epic spell more powerful than all 20 bard levels.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    The responses you'll get are take 20 levels of bard, and then 20 levels of wizard, and wizard prcs, and then cleric and cleric prcs, and get epic spellcasting, and craft an epic spell more powerful than all 20 bard levels.
    Sublime Chord. At least it pays lip service to being a Bard, while retaining the "Epic Spellcasting" win button that is more powerful than infinite levels of everything else.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

How's this for epic buffing: give everyone in the world every ability, ever. Seriously, everyone who comes here to ask about ridiculously high epic level play doesn't quite seem to understand all of what that entails. Why is this?
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2009-12-16 at 11:00 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the earth"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Haha, yes. Epic-spell yourself infinite range for your Bardsong, infinite duration and the Timeless Body effect on everyone affected. Nobody will ever get injured, fall sick or die ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    If your DM lets the party casters chain gate, sure. But if the DM is going to let that happen, then the game already broke down as soon as someone could afford a candle of invocation.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    If your DM lets the party casters chain gate, sure. But if the DM is going to let that happen, then the game already broke down as soon as someone could afford a candle of invocation.
    Leadership and Epic Leadership work for it, too, just not as well. There's also other ways around it, including making massive amounts of cash then using it for material components.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

At the levels we're talking about, and with a Charisma-focused character no less, how hard would it be to pull out a leadership score high enough to get level 24 followers (yes, the plural is intentional)?
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

It would be very hard without just epic spellcasting your charisma score to infinity. Getting a higher level follower requires exponentially higher scores... I have a (level 15) gestalt character with a 55 leadership score, and IIRC he would need much more to get a level 10 follower. To get level 24 followers would require a score of 55*2^14th, if I remember the formula for followers right.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. So *does some maths* you need a Charisma modifier of 901020, so a Charisma of 901025*2=1802050. Ummm. That be big number. Perhaps a better way to do it is Cohorts with leadership and epic leadership?
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    At the levels we're talking about, and with a Charisma-focused character no less, how hard would it be to pull out a leadership score high enough to get level 24 followers (yes, the plural is intentional)?
    Technically, you can't have level 24 followers. Epic Leadership caps them at 20th. Not that that really makes a difference at the levels we're talking about anyway.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

I'm pretty sure cohorts can't take leadership or epic leadership. There are a few feats that let you get a few more followers (I think one was 2x as many, and another was 10x as many, but epic), but they don't affect the highest level follower you have.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    Technically, you can't have level 24 followers. Epic Leadership caps them at 20th. Not that that really makes a difference at the levels we're talking about anyway.
    It means your Followers can't be Epic Spellcasters. That matters.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It means your Followers can't be Epic Spellcasters. That matters.
    Early entry with loredrake and dusk giant in some kind of horrible combo?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

epic magic breaks reality via mitigation abuses that make it DC0. As DC0 it takes the minimum time (1 day) to research and is free to do so.

Without mitigation, duplicating low level spells is impossible. Where duplicating a typical 5th level spell requiring you to be level 50 and pay a half a million in gold and 20,000xp to research without mitigation.

Any caster who gets epic magic automatically wins DnD. As in, he slaps gods around.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Need Charisma, you say?

Dear Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu, this year for Christmas I want a Sarrukh...
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by drengnikrafe View Post
    "What could I do with a hundred levels in bard?"
    You would sing REALLY well. :)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

You can use wish for +5 to every ability score, including Charisma. I'm sure if you made an "epic wish" you could go to infinite lengths with it, though. Epic spellcasting...
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-12-17 at 02:35 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Early entry with loredrake and dusk giant in some kind of horrible combo?
    I've heard the dusk giant suggestion before. What/where/why dusk giant?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ice&Fire View Post
    I've heard the dusk giant suggestion before. What/where/why dusk giant?
    Dusk Giants can somehow (I dunno how, nor do I know where they are) get 24 ranks in a skill pre-epic...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

How the dusk giant trick works is simple. They have an ability which gets them up to 24 hit dice, ok? You polymorph/wildshape into one, and then use the ability to get up to 24 HD. These are your hit dice for now, so you use Psychic Reformation to put in skill points to get yourself up to 27 ranks in whatever. You then polymorph back All of the 27s are from your own skill points, so you keep them. Done.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Chain gate? The hell with chain gate, once you have epic spellcasting, the game basically becomes a "What's the craziest thing I can think up?". That could include gating. It could include researching an ever escalating series of insanely powerful buffs, each of which lets you research more badass spells. It could include creating your own world and populating it with monsters and adventurers, who you watch run around like rats in a maze.

The point is, all limits are long, long gone ridiculously before you'll hit level 100, making actually reaching that level mostly irrelevant.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The Music Meister sings the song that the world wants to hear!
    Lets not fight, lets get along. For our hypnotic propatear.
    The Music Meister sings the song that the world must obey!
    So do your job, steal all you can! While you're under his sway!

Or to better see whats happening, this.

In essence, put max skills into diplomacy, perform, and bluff. Maybe take some ranks of that paragon prestige class that lets you use a skill for diplomacy or something.

Then, get max ranks in playing a lyre. Get a lyre of building. Find some way to play that lyre constantly without stopping to rest (maybe be a warforged or a lich... or a renegade mastermaker if thats possible.)

Find some way to sing to everyone in the world and possibly gods.

Get absurd skill checks on perform to turn everyone you come into contact with into your fanatical minions.

Use the lyre to remake your surroundings into your image (maybe get some ranks in architecture and sculpting. Heck, learn how to make everything. You've got the skill points.)

Take over the world, destroy all forests, excavate all mountains, and build giant sculptures of yourself and temples dedicated to your greatness. Turn the gods themselves into your drooling fangirls and make them remake reality in your image. Have all the spellcasters in the world outfit all your statues and temples with giants screens that broadcast your music forever.

Then start invading the other planes, broadcasting your signal into heaven and hell to turn the very abyss into a big musical. Beam your songs into the Far Plane and make the eldrich horrors from beyond reality itself weep with their many eyes and dance to your tune.

If you run into trouble, get all your followers (read: Everyone) to use Aid Another to boost your song even higher.

If Pun Pun shows up, convert him to your side.
    Last edited by Randel; 2009-12-17 at 03:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Bard 10/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 10/Bard 10/Warchanter 10/Legendary Captain 10/Anything else that progresses Bardic Music. The key is boosting that to unreasonable heights(Song of the Heart, Dragonfire Inspiration), and grabbing Epic Spellcasting along the way. Then winning everything, ever.
    Yeah, something like this. Adding in all the feats that expand the options of bardic music (both for effects and target) and adding in PrCs with new songs.

Could be very beautiful.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

In addition to stuff like Dragonfire Inspiration, I'd suggest a dip in Paladin using Devoted Performer to get Divine Grace to make your saves truely insane.