New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 4e?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default 4e?

Well, I've decided to break down and play 4e. Are there any sites that could help me out with it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 4e?

This one, of course

The WotC site is always good, especially if you have access to DDI in some way.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-12-18 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, what's wrong with us?

What exactly do you need help with?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I suggesting you download the free rules from the WotC website before commiting to buying any books. Keep on the Shadowfell, while not the greatest adventure, is also available for free there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Download the character generator. Without a DDI account you can make characters up to level 3. That should give you a good start.

One of the things I like about 4e is that it's much more focused. Choose your race and class, and you can very easily read up on what's relevant to you. I find this far easier to work with than 3.5's massive pile of feats that may or may not apply to your character.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You can get the Quick Start Rules here, and there's a link to an old copy of the Character Builder that works up to level 3 as well.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/TryDnD.aspx

That should help you try it out without spending anything yet. I've personally never seen the Quick Start Rules. When I started, there were no Quick Start Rules, but a friend of mine had gotten the PHB's pdf. After the first couple sessions I went out and bought a hard copy, which is much handier at the table, and eventually some of the other books. I've since gotten DDI and all that. If you enjoy it, you'll probably want to get DDI eventually. You'll have access to pretty much everything.

If you have any specific questions, this is certainly the place to ask them. Better than any other board I've been to for speedy, accurate, easy-to-navigate-to, helpful & friendly responses to D&D questions.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Click on the link in my signature to download Wizards' free 4e stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    Yeah, what's wrong with us?

What exactly do you need help with?
    Did you not read his post? He broke down and started playing 4e. Obviously, he needs help!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Shoots the OP several times. There I have put you out of your misery. reads the first post Oh you wanted me to help you with 4e, not kill you, oops.
    "No extra charge!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

could be worse, he could be playing 3.5 or pathfinder

now to be serious, check my sig for lots of free goodies. for actual help, download the quickstart guide on the test drive site & the character builder. muck around a bit, write down stuff you're confused about and come back on the boards and we'll clear things up.

play a few games, write down stuff you're confused about and come back on the boards and we'll clear things up.

11. - Top - End - #11

One Of Us!!! One Of Us!!!
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

12. - Top - End - #12

You people got it wrong. He obviously mean GURPS 4e. ;)
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard