New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default how to get more spells known as a sorceror?

Okay. I may be playing a Sorceror soon and was wondering how I could get more spells known. is there any way to do this or no?

also, I really just want one more second level spell so that I can boost all my ally's main stats. (I'm level 6 so I only get two known)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: how to get more spells known as a sorceror?

How cheesy do you want to get?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Not too cheesy. I've built this guy to help my allies for the most part. Also to attempt to stay alive. Although I guess asking for more spells known is pretty dang cheesy.

4. - Top - End - #4

Question the second: What are your two second level spells known?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Mmmm, runestaves....
    Other than that, I believe there's a feat that allows you to gain one spell known of a level 1 less than your max. Useful if your DM allows feat retraining.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

bull's strength and fox's cunning. Bull's strength for the fighter and Monk and Fox's cunning for the Psion.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Mmmm, runestaves....
    Other than that, I believe there's a feat that allows you to gain one spell known of a level 1 less than your max. Useful if your DM allows feat retraining.
    Retraining is unnecesarry since this is a backup character anyway. Also, what are Runestaves/what book are they in?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-12-27 at 02:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Have you checked out Animalistic Strength from the SpC? +2 to Str, Dex, and Con.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

There are a few good PrCs that give a bunch of new spells known. My favorite is Sand Shaper from the Sandstorm book.

Only offers 8/10 casting, however, but the class features are nice and even just taking a few levels will net you a nice bunch of new spells.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

For utility stuff you just pile on a bajillion scrolls. Otherwise just play with a wizard's general purpose list, except without any repeated spells. Guess what? Your spells known is slightly more than his spells prepared. Staffs are a great way to effectively get extra spells too.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-27 at 02:27 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Have you checked out Animalistic Strength from the SpC? +2 to Str, Dex, and Con.
    nah. only got The SRD right now although I will have quite a few more books tomorrow and I'll look at that. @ starscream. I'll check sandshaper out when I get the chance too.

Then I'll call my Character "Gaara"
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-12-27 at 02:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Definitely use Sand Shaper. Even a Sorcerer 19 / Sand Shaper 1 has twice as many spells known as a Sorcerer 20. In addition, it lets you learn Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace as 1st level spells instead of 2nd level.

13. - Top - End - #13

So what's the spell you want to add to your spell list?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Definitely use Sand Shaper. Even a Sorcerer 19 / Sand Shaper 1 has twice as many spells known as a Sorcerer 20. In addition, it lets you learn Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace as 1st level spells instead of 2nd level.
    Not that it's bad, but having Shapechange, Time Stop, and Gate on your spell list > just two of those on your spell list + a large number of lower level spells.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-27 at 02:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

My friends and I let a sorc get bonus spells per day and known for having a high stat. Just like a wizard or cleric. Simple easy and in no way brakes the game.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    My friends and I let a sorc get bonus spells per day and known for having a high stat. Just like a wizard or cleric. Simple easy and in no way brakes the game.
    This MIGHT be possible. That is if I don't try to get what I rolled for my Sorceror's stats.

I highly doubt my DM would believe me anyway since he wasn't there to witness it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    also, I really just want one more second level spell so that I can boost all my ally's main stats. (I'm level 6 so I only get two known)
    +X Buffs are the weakest spells in all of D&D, except maybe for summons. They are supposed to be cast using extra spell slots whenever you have extra time before combat. You really only need a couple of them, and your main spells for use during combat should go to something better. How do you even expect to tag your allies with so many before the durations on the early ones run out? Pack a scorching ray or flaming sphere to do more damage than the buff, or better yet do something that controls the situation like invisibility or glitterdust.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-27 at 02:29 AM.
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    So what's the spell you want to add to your spell list?
    Owl's wisdom for the Druid

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

So his spells can land maybe 15% more often each round, which are probably weaker than an arcane spells... or you can just cast a spell that probably lands right away. Yeah, this is why I say you only need 1 or 2 +X buffs just in case you have a free round before the fight starts and you have extra spell slots. Beyond that it's not worth it.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-27 at 02:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The Druid can prepare any of those spells and doesn't have to commit spells known. Buffs are all and good, but I think you're shafting yourself. Maybe you could swap out those spells for some solid multi-purpose Arcane-only spells, say, Invisibility and Glitterdust?

20. - Top - End - #20

Owl's wisdom for the Druid
    Suggestion: Ditch the buffs, pick some quality arcane spells, and have fun doing something in combat rather than standing around fight after fight popping off first level spells.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    +X Buffs are the weakest spells in all of D&D, except maybe for summons.
    While I agree that +X stat spells are really weak, what kind of summons are you using? Summons are almost criminally versatile (they may start out as just ready-made flanking buddies, but the SLAs that they have at higher levels are really, really nice) and if anything can be a little overpowered.

To keep this on topic, summon monster X spells are actually a decent way for a sorcerer to get sort of phantom "spells known." You won't have the spells themselves, but if you can summon something that has a spell you want as an SLA, well, that's another spell in your repertoire, even if it's not as readily accessible. Since each Summon Monster spell gives you so many different creatures, you gain access to a lot of different spells with each one. At 2nd spell level, your options aren't fantastic, but once you start summoning outsiders and other things that have good SLAs, they really help.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The best summon I can get is summon monster 3 at this point which although it sounds decent doesn't have any SLAs that buff my allies. (if it's actually horrible sorry. I'm not great at gauging power in 3.5 plus it's almost 3 am
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-12-27 at 02:39 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    While I agree that +X stat spells are really weak, what kind of summons are you using? Summons are almost criminally versatile (they may start out as just ready-made flanking buddies, but the SLAs that they have at higher levels are really, really nice) and if anything can be a little overpowered.
    Summons have plenty of good applications at being extra bodies - usually you stop at summon monster I or so for that. But at fighting they're weak unless you have a boatload of time to carefully tweak them out. They tend to be CR = 1/2 character level. And then their caster level is usually equal or lower than their CR. For a less experienced player I'd skip them or get only summon monster I for aforementioned utility purposes. Springing traps, etc. Though IIRC you must be able to communicate with them to get them to do anything but fight.

Stick to spells that give status effects like those mentioned and/or straightup damage.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-27 at 02:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

also, why is invisibility so good if I can't attack anything lest it be dispelled? Why not wait a level or two when I can get greater invisibility?

EDIT; @V no Rogues although I guess I can see letting an ally get away.

so you guy's suggest glitterdust and invisibility?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-12-27 at 02:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

It gives the rogue one sneak attack as it goes poof. It lets him scout. It lets an endangered ally PC or NPC or you get away. Etc., etc. Like a lot of other good spells, it lets you take control or deny it.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-27 at 02:48 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    At 2nd spell level, your options aren't fantastic
    Coughsummommirrormephitcough

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. I may be playing a Sorceror soon and was wondering how I could get more spells known. is there any way to do this or no?

You have enough Wisdom to use Arcane Disciple feat from CD. If you choose the Strength domain, you can cast bull's strength via the feat, so you'd select owl's wisdom instead for your standard sorcerer pick. The drawback is that you can cast only one domain spell of each level per day, so you'd be limited to one strength buff. Doesn't sound ideal for what little I know of your situation, but I like to remind people about the feat 'cos it's so flexible and character-rich.

The exalted arcanist class (BoED, of course) is another way to add spells known, but you don't have any choice about which ones, and the character has to be exalted.

And of course there's Extra Spell feat in Complete Arcane. *shrug*

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

well I suppose I should get to bed since I have something I can't mention on these boards and a D&D game I have to DM tomorrow.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-12-27 at 02:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

2nd level is overloaded with secondary spells like the +X buffs as if the makers were planning for when you're higher level. But level 2 does have a few gems:
    Control: glitterdust, web, invisibility
    Damage: flaming sphere (at low levels), scorching ray (at caster level 7th or higher)

3rd level has plenty of good options, so take your pick among control or damage since these are your main spells (add on other kinds as secondary spells later). Don't confuse status effect buffs like invisibility or haste with +X buffs; status buffs are excellent forms of control. Usually (but not always) you do control 1st, damage 2nd, assuming your allies don't already have a handle on things after you tilt the battle heavily in your favor with control.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-12-27 at 02:55 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

the main spells I like at third level are haste and fireball.