New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default How to destroy a world? [3.5]

Assuming that you have a good caster, Sorcerer or Wizard at CL 20, how would one caster destroy an entire world with only 9th level magic and below? There will be no use of summoning anti-matter with gate or anything similar, or an infinite chain of spells. We'll also assume that Wish and Miracle would be blocked.
    Failure is not only an option, its expected.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: How to destroy a world? [3.5]

Locate City bomb should do the trick.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

One casting of Create Greater Undead in a heavily urbanised area. leaves all the loot intact but does away with all the fleshy wastes of time
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, if you have a world that's orbiting around another body in some kind of space, you could always use numerous walls of force to direct the planet into the other body. This would probably destroy all of the more complex lifeforms on the planet, possibly the planet itself as well.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    One casting of Create Greater Undead in a heavily urbanised area. leaves all the loot intact but does away with all the fleshy wastes of time
    I mean an entire planet, and I said good aligned. Creating undead is an evil act, and the planet is kinda already overrun with demons, devils, and undead anyway. Also, the locate city bomb would be nice for one city, but I'm saying an entire planet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Gate in an Infernal. In addition to its own abilities, the 4 Balors/Pit Fiends it can summon per day should do the trick.

EDIT: I thought you meant "good" as in "skilled" not "morally upright." Why would a good caster want to destroy the world?
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2009-12-28 at 05:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

How much time do you have? Chained Disintegrates would do it eventually...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Gate in an Infernal. In addition to its own abilities, the 4 Balors/Pit Fiends it can summon per day should do the trick.

EDIT: I thought you meant "good" as in "skilled" not "morally upright." Why would a good caster want to destroy the world?
    Unfortunately, using gate to call an evil creature makes it an evil spell, thus an evil act. But it is a totally awesome idea though. Unfortunately knowing this DM, I'm sure part of the problem are the Infernals already on the planet. Are there any [good] divine avatars or something I can summon with Gate?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Can't we just figure out how to kill the Tarassque using the E6 system instead?
    Please check out my homebrew and P.E.A.C.H..

All of my work is for Pathfinder, but can be used for 3.5 as they are compatible enough.

Helmets

Pathfinder Druid Variant - Bonded Wild Shape

Never Die Feat

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AngelisBlack View Post
    Unfortunately, using gate to call an evil creature makes it an evil spell, thus an evil act. But it is a totally awesome idea though. Unfortunately knowing this DM, I'm sure part of the problem are the Infernals already on the planet. Are there any [good] divine avatars or something I can summon with Gate?
    Plenty. Getting them to destroy the world is another matter.

You could always gate in something neutral, like an Anaxim, or create a living spell that can kill everyone given enough time, like a Cloudkill. But just about everything you do will make you stop being good unless there's something pretty vile about this world I don't know.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Plenty. Getting them to destroy the world is another matter.

You could always gate in something neutral, like an Anaxim, or create a living spell that can kill everyone given enough time, like a Cloudkill. But just about everything you do will make you stop being good unless there's something pretty vile about this world I don't know.
    Actually said world has no innocents or anything. It is thankfully completely evil and therefore destruction of said world would not be evil at all. I like your idea of creating a living spell. If I had access to wish I'd start creating living Spheres of Destruction.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

ok, so... a little harder. I take it your DM isn't particularly fussed about which physics model he's using in this soon to be ash world?

In which case sticking an annihilation sphere at the core of the planet would eventually destroy the world, might take a while though...

or you could set up a series of everful bottles to drown the place..

or the commoner railgun aimed at the planet, meteor strike on demand...

or just leave and make some other rock a newly habitable world, once you've got 20th level casting there's no real reason to be tied down to one planet afterall.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Living Disintegrate, if you want to go with the Grey Goo route rather than the Deathcloud route.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Launching a Sphere of Annihilation aimed at the center of the planet would destroy it eventually. Unfortunately the Sphere is an artifact and as such is only available at the DM's discretion.

The surest way I can think of would be a Wish spell. :P A Solar has access to Wish, and as such, Gating in one would probably do the trick.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2009-12-28 at 06:36 AM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Build the following item :
    Magical Trap
    Trigger : Timed (1 round)
    Reset : Autoreset
    Spell : Disintegrate (CL11)
    CR : 7
    Cost : 33.000 GP, 2.640 XP
    Aim it for the ground, step away.

Alternatively, cast Animate Object + Permanency on a Sphere of Annihilation.
    Then instruct it to go straight down in the ground.
    Monitor its daily progress with Discern Location.
    Once it's about to reach the other side of the planet, Teleport there.
    Instruct it to stay 20 feet away from you.
    Go a few miles away.
    Then instruct it to go straight down in the ground...

To speed up the process, have more spheres/traps.

16. - Top - End - #16

Relativistic Kill Missile.

17. - Top - End - #17

it is VERY diffcult to destory a 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iorn

edit: although futher reading suggets and a variant on the sphere of allication trick would work, if you could turn off the spheres anti-gravity (i.e. let it fall towards the earth, and then use aborsed mass to pull more mass towards it.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2009-12-28 at 09:08 AM.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Bringer View Post
    it is VERY diffcult to destory a 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iorn

edit: although futher reading suggets and a variant on the sphere of allication trick would work, if you could turn off the spheres anti-gravity (i.e. let it fall towards the earth, and then use aborsed mass to pull more mass towards it.
    ...this makes me wish to put things into perspective.

Earth volume : 1,084 × (10^12) km³
    1.000 cubic feet per disintegrate.
    1 disintegrate / 6 seconds

That's 14.400.000 cubic feet / day
    0.02832 m³ = 1 cubic feet
    That's 407.808 m³ / day
    1.000.000.000 m³ = 1 km³
    That's 0,000407808 km³ / day
    1 year = 365 days
    That's 0,1744992 km³ / year
    6,21 x (10^12) years to disintegrate Earth with a single Disintegrate Trap.

I...think we better search another way around this problem.

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfFighterGuy

Cast Gate to call something from the Far Realm that can then open some greater gate to bring the old gods to the material plane.

I don't think completely insane counts as evil, so you should be good doing this
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I would imagine you wouldn't need to reduce the mass by more than 5 to 10 % before there's some truely horrendous results on the surface as the tectonic plates start being too large for the magma upwells that support them. you're looking at crust instability on an ever increasing scale leading to a propperly hellish environment with the atmosphere and oceans boiling off and all kinds of toxic gasses upwelling, not to mention the effect of a steadily reducing gravity on the atmosphere. Really how destroyed does a planet have to be before it's considered gone? Uninhabitable? Unstable? Totally obliterated?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    I would imagine you wouldn't need to reduce the mass by more than 5 to 10 % before there's some truely horrendous results on the surface as the tectonic plates start being too large for the magma upwells that support them. you're looking at crust instability on an ever increasing scale leading to a propperly hellish environment with the atmosphere and oceans boiling off and all kinds of toxic gasses upwelling, not to mention the effect of a steadily reducing gravity on the atmosphere. Really how destroyed does a planet have to be before it's considered gone? Uninhabitable? Unstable? Totally obliterated?
    Since that one is inhabited by demons, nothing short of obliterated will do.
    Unstable just means the demons feel at home.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.....

You're all assuming that this world is as big as the earth. :) Sorry wanted to point that out.
    HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO TYPE LIKE THIS?

23. - Top - End - #23

Assuming that the world is governed by the normal rules of physics and you don't mind a little silliness, an extremely literal interpretation of wall of force should do the trick.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Since that one is inhabited by demons, nothing short of obliterated will do.
    Unstable just means the demons feel at home.
    Interestingly while Devils are for the most part immune to fire Demons are fine with Electricity so while they could be comfy with the uberstorms whipped up by the disruption in the magnetic field as the iron core is devoured they would probably not be ok with the supervolcanos to the face or sudden massive subsidance as mountains fall on you and you get sucked down holes in the crust.... They're tougher than most humanoids but they can't survive everywhere... just sayin'

25. - Top - End - #25

Easy , Just Make Items that Utilize All the Known Fire Spells and make sure that they reset every few seconds , Direct them to the Earth's Core , in your spare time Use Spells such as soften Earth and warp this and that to continuously make the hole towards the earth's core even bigger and longer , the earth should be destroyed before everyone knows what to do with themselves .

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You have to clarify what you mean by "destroy." Do you mean destroy every creature or destroy the planet itself?

The first is straightforward but time consuming. Just create or bind a wide variety of monsters and order them to go out and kill everything. Use divination spells to find out where creatures are hiding to help guide your minions. Teleport around the planet and use fire spells to burn ecosystems and then salt the land. Duel and defeat any challenger too powerful for your monsters. After everything is destroyed either order your monsters to kill themselves or relocate them to another plane.

The second is trickier. If you don't have a time limit, create an unaging creature that can plane shift at will, give it a shovel, and have it scoop up dirt and teleport with it to another plane, return and repeat until the planet's mass is gone.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

As said by someone earlyer, just cast a bunch of walls of forces to change the moon's orbit so it hits the planet.

Step one: find a way to survive in a vacume

Step two: Buy a couple hundred scrolls of Wall of force

Step Three: Telport into the area of the moons orbit.

Step Four" Make a giant wall that will redirect the moon's orbit into the planet.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd use gates. You need two of them.

Step one:
    Go to the astral plane, or any other plane. Create a cube of six walls of force. Step 2: On one side of the cube, open a gate on the planet's surface, pointing downward.
    Step 3: On the other side of the cube, open a gate to the center of the planet's sun.
    Step 4: Watch, from far, far away.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2009-12-28 at 10:44 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #29

Open a gate to the plane of water -- flood the earth with infinite water.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

You could just keep putting walls of force in the orbital path of the planet. I don't know how big you could make them or how many you could make, but anything that passes completely through a planet is going to do terrible things to it, think a meteor that doesn't stop when it hits the planets surface. The dust build up from a few of these will freeze out anything that is non-magical or doesn't have sufficient shelter.