New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default The Worm That Walks

I was browsing epic monsters and came across The Worm That Walks. Interestingly, it's a template that can theoretically be applied to any arcane spellcaster:

Worm That Walks Characters

By making eldritch preparations on a burial plot, a powerful spellcaster can improve the likelihood of a worm that walks emerging from the ground. The body is buried in an elaborate ritual that, the spellcaster hopes, will attract a critical mass of worms or maggots. The spellcaster performing the ritual must spend 10,000 gp in rare reagents for the ceremony. Furthermore, the ritual drains 2,000 XP from the spell-caster and requires the following spells: limited wish, polymorph any object, summon swarm (heightened to 7th level), and sympathy. Even if the ritual is performed correctly, there is only a chance that the deceased spellcaster will arise as a worm that walks. For each prepared but uncast arcane spell the deceased had at the moment of death (or unused spell slots if a spontaneous caster), there’s a 1% chance that a worm that walks will slither from the grave soil in 1d4 days. Some worms that walk arise spontaneously from ordinary burial plots, but such an event is exceedingly rare. And an epic spell can create worms that walk every time without fail.
    Here's what I find really interesting. Only the caster performing the ritual needs to be high level. The subject can be any level at all. While it's unlikely that a lower level person would transform, it's still possible. Someone really determined could perform the ritual repeatedly until it works.

My question is, what would a low level Worm That Walks be like?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Worm That Walks

Hmm, with no level adjustment, that could be...well, extremely powerful. I also don't see where it requires that the recipient be an arcane caster.

“Worm that walks” is a template that can be added to any evil wizard or sorcerer.
    Nevermind. Was thinking with the big bonuses to things like move silently that this would make for a nice rogue.

Also, the Discorporate ability is giving me a nice idea. It seems logical that the WTW could seperate a few maggots off of itself and keep them alive in a nutrient-rich environment and basically have a phylactery. Or several hundred of them.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2009-12-29 at 11:03 AM.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zom B View Post
    Hmm, with no level adjustment, that could be...well, extremely powerful. I also don't see where it requires that the recipient be an arcane caster.
    He needs to have prepared but uncast arcane spells in order to even have a chance of raising as a Worm That Walks. Each gives a 1% chance.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Could the caster use the epic spell that forces the 'walking'?

I imagine a low-level Worm that Walks would quickly be taken by a Control Undead or Rebuking, becoming a powerful minion. Or be turned and destroyed by the clerics that rumors of a Worm that Walks would attract.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I imagine a low-level Worm that Walks would quickly be taken by a Control Undead or Rebuking, becoming a powerful minion. Or be turned and destroyed by the clerics that rumors of a Worm that Walks would attract.
    It's not undead; it's an aberration.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2009-12-29 at 11:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

There must be a domain that lets you rebuke aberrations. Probably somewhere in Eberron.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    There must be a domain that lets you rebuke aberrations. Probably somewhere in Eberron.
    Only thing I'm finding is the Wild Domain from the D&D Wiki. Other than that, googling "turn aberrations", "turn or destroy aberrations", and "rebuke aberrations" shows a plethora of more homebrew domains and feats.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2009-12-29 at 11:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Its the same cost to perform on another creature as on yourself. It would probably easier to just cast it on yourself and then simulacrum up a copy under your control.
    Help my dragons!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Could the caster use the epic spell that forces the 'walking'?
    Yes. That guarantees the corpse will return (if willing, otherwise it gets a save). You could cast it on a melee character that took a single level of wizard or sorcerer to qualify. A one level dip would be worth it for the Worm template's benefits.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-12-29 at 11:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

He needs to have prepared but uncast arcane spells in order to even have a chance of raising as a Worm That Walks. Each gives a 1% chance.
    Or by RAW, an epic level spell can guaranty that result:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    And an epic spell can create worms that walk every time without fail.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    Or by RAW, an epic level spell can guaranty that result:
    Sure, but the template can only be added to wizards or sorcerers anyway. Not even wu jen can become Worms That Walk.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Sure, but the template can only be added to wizards or sorcerers anyway. Not even wu jen can become Worms That Walk.
    Simple. Multiclass for one level to qualify. Fighter 9/Sorcerer 1 can become a Worm That Walks.

You know, a Worm That Walks is effectively immortal since its insects can always breed anew and replace themselves. Is becoming a Worm a better alternatively to lichdom for an evil caster? You get immortality without undead weaknesses.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

An Ultimate Magus would probably have the best shot at rising.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    You know, a Worm That Walks is effectively immortal since its insects can always breed anew and replace themselves. Is becoming a Worm a better alternatively to lichdom for an evil caster? You get immortality without undead weaknesses.
    Yup, and as I pointed out, RAI seems to say that you can create little maggot clone-jar phylacteries.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

However, I have a personal question:

Could a PC "resist" the evil urge, such as an evil wizard who does this to a good wizard, who in retaliation, kills the evil one and continues his holy path

either that, or he becomes Neutral axis, and at the end, reobtains his "goodness"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitarGod32 View Post
    However, I have a personal question:

Could a PC "resist" the evil urge, such as an evil wizard who does this to a good wizard, who in retaliation, kills the evil one and continues his holy path

either that, or he becomes Neutral axis, and at the end, reobtains his "goodness"
    The template can only be added to an evil caster. The ritual would have no effect on a good caster.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yup, and as I pointed out, RAI seems to say that you can create little maggot clone-jar phylacteries.
    What could prevent that is that is that you might have to stay disincorporated to use the bugs like phylacteries. The second you reform whatever is stored back in your laboratory isn't really part of you anymore. When the bugs separate and breed I think you can only choose one cluster to become you again. The other ones just become normal worms I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    The template can only be added to an evil caster. The ritual would have no effect on a good caster.
    What if a caster became evil with a Helm of Opposite alignment, became the Worm That Walks, and then had the curse removed?
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-12-29 at 12:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    What if a caster became evil with a Helm of Opposite alignment, became the Worm That Walks, and then had the curse removed?
    I'm not so sure magic items function for a corpse. This seems to be supported by all the cursed items that detach from its owner upon the owner's death.

Actually, for that matter, does a dead person even have an alignment?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, for that matter, does a dead person even have an alignment?
    Yes, kinda. Their soul has it's alignment from life. The corpse is a pile of meat, and thus doesn't have squat.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

How to guarantee that you became a worm that walks via the ritual:

A wand of mnemonic enhancer.

Take ranks in UMD, and you have a wormy walking rogue.

Factotums would still be better, though...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What's kind of ridiculous here is that you can have a level 1 character that's capable of dealing 100 damage with a successful touch attack.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, you can do this. It's a fairly good Ikea Tarrasque (not great, but good). Epic Sorcerer takes Epic Leadership, gains 1500 little sorcerer followers. Epic sorcerer has feat that lets you sacrifice people to gain XP for spells and item creation. Sacrifice followers, use resultant XP to fuel development of "Gathering of Maggots" in a mass version. Use resulting bodies as components to cast gathering of maggots.

Congrats, you now have sorcerer minions who are virtually unkillable by anything in their range, great melee-ers, have some 20th CL SLAs, continue to advance as rapidly as they would have before, and provide no XP to anything nasty enough to dispose of them because... they're only CR 4. Slap a contingency Celerity on them (any attack that would destroy them grants them enough time to discorporate instead) and point them in the general direction of your enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Can it be stack with lich, to create a mass of undead maggots, or just a mass of maggots on a skeleton?

By either burying a "body" (lich) or making a phylactery?

Mmmm, Demilich That Walks. Almost impossible to kill, and you don't lose your items when you discorporate. Sure, you lose a few levels, but with these bonuses and the way epic magic works it isn't really a problem.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Trick is to get the Helm on the Worm after its rebirth, then you have your Good Worm That Walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there any reason why a Good character couldn't create minions using something like the following process:

Step 1: Take Epic Leadership, and Legendary Commander if you feel it necessary.
    Step 2: Put Helms of Opposite Alignment on all your followers, one by one.
    Step 3: Develop an epic spell which converts a living creature directly into a worm that walks.
    Step 4: Cast said spell on your followers, one by one.
    Step 5: After each casting, follow it up with remove curse.
    Step 6: ???
    Step 7: Profit!
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Does a dragon disciple sorcerer become a wyrm that walks? ...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Is there any reason why a Good character couldn't create minions using something like the following process:

Step 1: Take Epic Leadership, and Legendary Commander if you feel it necessary.
    Step 2: Put Helms of Opposite Alignment on all your followers, one by one.
    Step 3: Develop an epic spell which converts a living creature directly into a worm that walks.
    Step 4: Cast said spell on your followers, one by one.
    Step 5: After each casting, follow it up with remove curse.
    Step 6: ???
    Step 7: Profit!
    Well, Good characters tend to have these pesky things called "morals" and "respect for other living beings"...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, Good characters tend to have these pesky things called "morals" and "respect for other living beings"...
    And yet, Soon didn't mention to these people that by signing up they would be stuck in the throne room instead of going to Celestia. I'm sure that you could found an order of schmucks paladins to help you remake the world in your own image save the multiverse.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliomancer View Post
    And yet, Soon didn't mention to these people that by signing up they would be stuck in the throne room instead of going to Celestia. I'm sure that you could found an order of schmucks paladins to help you remake the world in your own image save the multiverse.
    ...Who says he didn't?

And it's not like they were there for long. They got to go to Celestia right after being 'killed' - that's one of the reasons why Deathless are considered Good.

Now, turning a bunch of people into walking horrors by using magic to mess with their minds? Kinda iffy.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2009-12-29 at 10:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliomancer View Post
    Who says they didn't? What if the souls of the fallen Sapphire Guard were set to a "recall" spell of epic proportions (powered by the Guard's Oath) that allowed them to return to the mortal realm in case of danger to the gate? (like a personal legion of not-quite-angels) The ones that died in the throne room just shifted into the Deathless state immediately rather than possibly resting in Celestia first.