New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Sorcerers and wands/scrolls (DnD 3.5)

Can sorcerers use wands/scrolls for spells that are not their spells known but on the Sor/Wiz list? Assuming other prerequisites met, etc.
    I always assumed they couldn't, but reading through the SRD it seems that they can use any spell trigger or completion items for spells on the Sor/Wiz spell list. Even if they don't know them.

So which one is right? or is it something else entirely? Applies to bards as well, obviously.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Sorcerers and wands/scrolls (DnD 3.5)

they can.

too short so..... filer words!
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Can sorcerers use wands/scrolls for spells that are not their spells known but on the Sor/Wiz list? Assuming other prerequisites met, etc.
    Yes. There'd be little point to any spontaneous caster ever using them otherwise. The restriction is class list, not spells the character can already cast himself.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for the quick replies. The use of scrolls/wands by spontaneous casters has always bothered me for some reason.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. The use of scrolls/wands by spontaneous casters has always bothered me for some reason.
    Why? Spont casters are already at a disadvantage to prepped casters in versatility.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Why? Spont casters are already at a disadvantage to prepped casters in versatility.
    I really don't know. It must be an example of sudden logic failure by my brain. I guess I just conflated "spells known" with "class spell list".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think it's because you sub-consciously hate sorcerers and don't want them to have nice things.
    The only thing worse than an empty signature is one that has nothing at all to say. One that simply yammers on with little or no point; quietly, subtly draining away seconds of your life.

The worst are the ones that look like they have a point. Multiple paragraph monstrosities that you're sure will have some sort of satisfying conclusion. Some sort of goal, to show that your reading was not in vain.

It doesn't and it was.