New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default One-man nigh-unkillable army?

So, a guy in my group is rather skilled at powergaming, and he once shared an idea to be immune to damage. I made this build as a variation on that.

race: half-dragon human (acid or fire)

wu jen 6/renegade mastermaker 10/warforged juggernaut 2

feats:
    H: toughness
    1: troll-blooded
    3: craft wondrous item
    6: craft magic arms and armor
    9: <open slot>
    12: power attack
    15: improved bull rush
    *B: adamantine body
    18: <open slot>

Kinda convoluted to get there, but the idea is that troll-blooded grants regeneration. I'm not sure of the exact wording, but i'm pretty sure all damage except for fire and acid are converted to non-lethal. Half-dragon grants immunity to one, immunity to the other can be obtained easily via other means (such as a spell). That means that all other sources of damage are converted to non-lethal. The capstone of renegade mastermaker allows the build to qualify for warforged juggernaut--the second level of which grants immunity to non-lethal damage. All damage dealt to you is converted to non-lethal, which you are now immune to. Congratulations. You are now immune to damage.

I chose Wu Jen for the base class so you can clone yourself via Body outside Body and be a small nigh-unkillable army unto yourself.

some other random immunities granted by this build:
    criticals
    poison
    sleep
    paralysis
    disease
    nausea
    fatigue
    exhaustion
    energy drain

comments?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One-man nigh-unkillable army?

Trollbane (a cheap alchemical item in Dungeonscape) will ruin your day, as will simple [Death] effects, but yeah, this is the skeleton on which the vanilla IKEA Tarrasque is hung.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bone Knight is a much less convoluted way to do it.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by The Deej View Post
    So, a guy in my group is rather skilled at powergaming, and he once shared an idea to be immune to damage. I made this build as a variation on that.

race: half-dragon human (acid or fire)

wu jen 6/renegade mastermaker 10/warforged juggernaut 2
    The things I bolded are incompatable as far as I know. Warforged Juggernaut requires you to be warforged. I've never heard of renegade mastermaker. Does that somehow make you a warforged?

EDIT: Now I feel foolish, I should have finished reading...
    Last edited by unre9istered; 2010-01-13 at 09:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

May I present to you Lord_of_Procrastination's twice betrayer of shar who is immune to everything in D&D:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...trayer_of_Shar
    Rules of Life:
    1: Everything Burns
    2: If something does not burn see rule 1.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I imagined there had to be a simpler way to do it, but an interesting quirk I thought of once regarding Body Outside Body and Renegade Mastermaker is that your battlefist is made +3 via class feature. Body Outside Body gives the clones nonmagical versions of your gear, but they have all of your class features. So if the RM's battlefist is made +3 via class feature, not to mention the fact that the battlefist itself could technically be considered solely a class feature, and not gear. Would that circumvent that line of the spell?

If so, that means that you could spawn an army of loyal warriors with +3 weapons, heavy armor, and immunity to damage.

You gotta admit that that's pretty dangerous.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

There are ways of killing that... Searing Spell makes the fire damage stick, Vile damage might interact weirdly with regeneration, and the aforementioned Death effects would work. Disintegrate might also ruin your day, depending on how exactly Troll Blooded works.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, I know it's not indestructible, just really, really tough. If the only solution to kill it is magical means though, it can just keep an AMF up. The immunity to damage is non-magical in nature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A Learnen Lumi (4HD, 6LA) is immune to everything except disintegrate, if you want a less complex way to do this.

JaronK

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

...Or Trollbane, which is nonmagical, costs 90 GP, and requires no special knowledge to use. Sure, you need a lot of it, but that's why you coat arrows with it.

That's not to say it isn't fun. Just saying that yeah, counters exist.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Deej View Post
    Yeah, I know it's not indestructible, just really, really tough. If the only solution to kill it is magical means though, it can just keep an AMF up. The immunity to damage is non-magical in nature.
    Not really. There are plenty of ways to bypass an AMF.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    A Learnen Lumi (4HD, 6LA) is immune to everything except disintegrate, if you want a less complex way to do this.
    Where is Learnen? And what's so special about a Lumi?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro_Azer View Post
    May I present to you Lord_of_Procrastination's twice betrayer of shar who is immune to everything in D&D:

It was near invincible when created, but nowadays there are many way's to kill it. Master Spellthief Disjunctions, IHS, Invoke Magic...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

The link in my signature might interest you.

But otherwise, you lack immunity to abilty damage and drain, which are relatively common attacks used by monsters (such as shadows and allips). You lack immunity to mind affecting so Fey and Wizards can dominate you. You are still vulnerable to polymorph effects (baleful polymorph and petrification). And there are the various exotic methods of death (half illithid brain eating insta-kill attack).
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro_Azer View Post

Ah, there we go. Cleric-20, Initiate of Mystra, using Miracle to duplicate Flesh to Stone. Sure, it may take a few castings to get through both SR and saves, but once the twice-betrayer is stoned, you simply wait out the buffs duration (24 hours or so), break the twice-betrayer into little bitty pices, then use Miracle for Stone to Flesh. And watch the twice-betrayer die, as it's not immune to transmutation. A couple of Greater Dispels for if the twice-betrayer brings up something to let it ignore Transmutations. This counter was available at the same time the twice-betrayer was created, as it's Core + one ... and that one is in the twice-betrayer's build.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-01-13 at 10:33 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Ah, there we go. Cleric-20, Initiate of Mystra, using Miracle to duplicate Flesh to Stone. Sure, it may take a few castings to get through both SR and saves, but once the twice-betrayer is stoned, you simply wait out the buffs duration (24 hours or so), break the twice-betrayer into little bitty pices, then use Miracle for Stone to Flesh. And watch the twice-betrayer die, as it's not immune to transmutation. A couple of Greater Dispels for if the twice-betrayer brings up something to let it ignore Transmutations. This counter was available at the same time the twice-betrayer was created, as it's Core + one ... and that one is in the twice-betrayer's build.
    And, what, the antimagic field sits by and lets all this happen?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

ok so so far:
    1. Searing spell is a metamagic that makes fire spells do 1/2 their listed damage to opponent who are immune to fire, and do full damage to anyone who has fire resistance. AMF can counter that
    2. Disintegrate affects him normally. AMF
    3. can some clarify trollbane?
    4. can someone clarify vile damage?
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    ok so so far:
    1. Searing spell is a metamagic that makes fire spells do 1/2 their listed damage to opponent who are immune to fire, and do full damage to anyone who has fire resistance. AMF can counter that
    2. Disintegrate affects him normally. AMF
    3. can some clarify trollbane?
    4. can someone clarify vile damage?
    Trollbane is a perfectly viable mundane item which ignores the troll's ability to do his stuff. Hardly anyone uses it due to action economy, however.
    Last edited by Signmaker; 2010-01-13 at 10:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

AFAIK Trollbane is an alchemical substance; hence non magical, that can be applied to a weapon or grouping of ammunition that renders it immune to the effects of regeneration.

Vile damage is a special type of damage associated with evil clerics and creatures that must first be 'blessed' (Not neccessarily the spell) before it can be healed. Even Regeration and Fast Healing do not heal vile damage unless the person is in an area that negates the effect like certai Hallowed churches.

As a result I would see Vile damage as its own stacking up as incurable nonlethal damage unless trollbane was applied to the weapon in question. This however would be moot unless it was the DM (Which it normally is) using the weapon as players rarely have to worry about a foe healing and coming after them again.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    Not really. There are plenty of ways to bypass an AMF.
    Such as?
    rabblerabble

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    The link in my signature might interest you.

But otherwise, you lack immunity to abilty damage and drain, which are relatively common attacks used by monsters (such as shadows and allips). You lack immunity to mind affecting so Fey and Wizards can dominate you. You are still vulnerable to polymorph effects (baleful polymorph and petrification). And there are the various exotic methods of death (half illithid brain eating insta-kill attack).
    He can get 'soulfire' armor from the BoED. It makes you immune to death effects, and certain other negative energy things. Still screwed on regular ability damage though.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    AMF does not work on instantaneous conjuration spells, most notably the famed Orb of X series. So a Searing Orb of Fire will ignore AMF and still deal half damage against fire immune creatures. Also see: Emperor Tippy's Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post
    Such as?
    Aside from instantaneous conjuration (and its psionic equivalent) mentioned above, Initiate of Mystra feat lets you cast in an AMF so long as you succeeds a reasonably easy caster level check.

Also, his plan was to get one immunity (fire and acid) via half dragon and the other via spell. Which means running around in an AMF may render him vulnerable to one elemental damage (for which there are mundane sources, either flasks of alchemical fire or acid).

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    He can get 'soulfire' armor from the BoED. It makes you immune to death effects, and certain other negative energy things. Still screwed on regular ability damage though.
    Perhaps, but magical equipment and spells seem to be incompatible with his plan for running around in an AMF.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    AMF does not work on instantaneous conjuration spells, most notably the famed Orb of X series.
    uhhh... yeah it does.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FishAreWet View Post
    uhhh... yeah it does.
    Check again; instantaneous conjurations are specifically exempted from antimagic field's effects, although you probably can't cast them inside the field.

"(The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.)"
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-01-13 at 11:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    "(The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.)"
    Basically, Caster uses Searing Spell Orb of Fire outside of AMF, fire immune creature inside AMF still takes half damage from the spell.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    And, what, the antimagic field sits by and lets all this happen?
    Yes. Initiate of Mystra. Lets you cast in AMF.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post
    Such as?
    See above. Also dysjunction, rod of negation, rod of absorption, similar effects, instantaneous conjurations, summon X spells with good SR. I'm sure there are lots more as I don't stray far from core much these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FishAreWet View Post
    Where is Learnen? And what's so special about a Lumi?
    Lernean is in Savage Species; your head(s) grow back twice over if severed and you can only be killed by damage via disintegrate or cutting off your head(s) and cauterizing the stump with fire or acid before they grow back. Lumi are a race of creatures with floating, glowing heads who are thus immune to having their heads cut off, thus you can't damage a Lernean Lumi except via disintegrate.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

27. - Top - End - #27

One way to become invincible is have someone cast Flesh to Stone > Rock to Mud > Purify Food and Drink > then pour you into the ocean. Now even if they blow up the planet, you'd still survive as ice particles in space. The only way you could die without the huge expense of destroying every single water molecule is to push the planet into a sun and let it's fusion reaction take care of you.

...of course, it does have the downside of hurting you just a little bit everytime someone disjunction-ed water. And it would make your friends queasy whenever they took a drink of water and someone whispered 'S/He's inside you now...'
    Last edited by Tokiko Mima; 2010-01-14 at 01:18 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tokiko Mima View Post
    One way to become invincible is have someone cast Flesh to Stone > Rock to Mud > Purify Food and Drink > then pour you into the ocean. Now even if they blow up the planet, you'd still survive as ice particles in space. The only way you could die without the huge expense of destroying every single water molecule is to push the planet into a sun and let it's fusion reaction take care of you.

...of course, it does have the downside of hurting you just a little bit everytime someone disjunction-ed water. And it would make your friends queasy whenever they took a drink of water and someone whispered 'S/He's inside you now...'
    I'm pretty sure that if we fit the sandwich trick in there somewhere, you can remain sentient the whole while. I think.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Hellfire Warlock will also ruin your day, as the damage dealt is Hellfire, which counts as fire damage, but hotter, so it bypasses Fire immunities.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tokiko Mima View Post

the biggest problem is, that while alive, you are incapable of doing anything. You are essentially in stasis... it is not different then Imprisonment.
    this is something you do to someone else to prevent his resurrection, or the DM does to you if you are stupid enough to cast Suicide
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-01-14 at 03:04 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.