New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Succubus...

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default So Succubus...

The Succubus monster progression from Savage Species. Is it any good? Or what can you do with it? I was thinking about using it in a game, starting at 8th level. Being underpowered is hardly an issue, but not something I like personally. So any advice, opinions, etc?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: So Succubus...

What do you want out of it? Is it something you could mimic with some cheaper Race+Class combination?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata2 View Post
    The Succubus monster progression from Savage Species. Is it any good? Or what can you do with it?
    Well, as they say, there's friendly contact with an evil outsider, and then there's friendly contact with an evil outsider...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Nothing in particular. One of the players is playing a Barghest, so I was looking at the Savage Progressions, saw Succubus, and went "well, maybe" if its not worthless. So I was seeing what people thought of it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Well, as they say, there's friendly contact with an evil outsider, and then there's friendly contact with an evil outsider...
    If your character needs to literally be an evil incarnation of illicit sex to get laid, s/he's doin' it wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Succubi have two huge abilities going for them:

-Huge inherent Charisma: With a +16 racial bonus, Succubi are VERY charismatic. I knew someone in an epic game that went as a Succubus Paladin.

EDIT: I would try to get as many CHA-based abilities as I could. My first thought would be Paladin 2/MonkY/SorcererZ(?) and then take the feat that makes the monk AC bonus based off of CHA instead.

CHA-based Charm Monster at-will: This starts at DC 22. Spam it on every important person wizard you meet (duration 1 day/level) until 20 concurrent charms are on them. Then, with proper bluff and diplomacy, you can have your own wizard army that do most of the things you want them to do!
    Last edited by Stompy; 2010-01-20 at 07:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

My key concern would be what to do after succubus. I can't think of any class which complements it well. It is literally a dead end class.

It should be fun for the 12 lvs of the savage progression. Afterwards...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

They have 6RHD and 6 LA, which makes them quite bad. Although, if you can take the Mark of Nessus(good luck roleplaying it so you can pass as a servant of Asmodeus), it makes you totally awesome.
    Mark of Nessus makes it so everybody needs to make a Will Save(DC based on your charisma *winkwink*) to TARGET you with anything.

I once played one in a RP heavy campaign and she was great, I even played her in a good-aligned group(including a paladin), she posed as some kind of were-bugbear, who used a Stunning Surge Heavy Flail.

Taking levels in Fiend of Possession(Fiend Folio) is incredible. But you have to get to level 13 to do that.

Some good builds would be Fiend of Possession 6/Paladin of Slaughter 2 or, even better, Cleric 1/Fiend of Possession 6/Whatever 1.
    Cleric grants you access to turning. Great charisma means great number of turns, great number of turns means a lot of uses for those juicy Divine Feats.
    Last edited by BenTheJester; 2010-01-20 at 08:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    EDIT: I would try to get as many CHA-based abilities as I could. My first thought would be Paladin 2/MonkY/SorcererZ(?) and then take the feat that makes the monk AC bonus based off of CHA instead.
    The feat is Ascetic Mage, it requires improved unarmed strike and spontaneous casting of L2 Arcane spells. It lets you apply any class feature that grants Wis to AC, and use Cha to AC instead.

Thats right, that means it works with the Unarmed Swordsage as well. That said, the huge HD and LA penalties means that your Succubus is unlikely to be keep up with the casting until epic ECL. If you do want to take this feat, just splash Sorc and pick up L2 Arcane spell with Precocious Apprentice, and it doesn't have to be Sorc either, you could gun for a more martial base class... like Bard. Take a couple of levels in Bard and grab Snowflake Wardance (apply Cha to attack and damage).

Beyond that, either put the rest of your levels in Crusader and hope that your HD counts as half towards initiator levels, so you can grab some mid-end strikes, which use Cha as the saving throw. Or Else pick up Paladin as mentioned, and get Devoted Performer (Bard and Paladin stack to determine Bardic Music uses and Smite Evil, essentially more Snowflake Wardance)
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2010-01-20 at 08:01 PM.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

With core alone: Succubus Bard. It's sort of broken.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the main ability boost you get is (obviously) to charisma. Most classes that need high charisma are spellcasters, and it's rarely (meaning never) a good idea to give up caster levels.

But succubi also get some decent spell likes, and boosts to other abilities. Along with DR, and resistances. SR is usually more trouble than it is worth though.

And the HD you get are Outsider HD, which are among the best. Second only to Dragon, really. Good skills, saves, and BAB. Overall, not a bad choice, so long as you can find something to do with your massive charisma. Paladin would indeed be a good choice.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2010-01-20 at 08:02 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

12. - Top - End - #12

There's a Thrall of Malcanthet PrC whose fluff is basically "worship the queen of succubi, and turn into one" in Dragon 353. I don't remember how powerful it is, but it's probably better than using the monster progression.
    Last edited by Teron; 2010-01-20 at 08:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Don't forget: The Savage Progression has the ability to summon your Big Bad Boyfriend (Balor). The odds of him getting off his lazy arse and stop playing Grand Theft Carriage long enough to rescue you is pretty slim though.
    Last edited by Greymane; 2010-01-20 at 08:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Hexblade might be an option. As I understand it it's kind of an arcane pseudo paladin with an attitude problem

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

I always loved fiend of corruption myself.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I found all of the "monster class progressions" to be poorly written, but if you insist on playing one, a Succubus/Bard or a Succubus/Warlock would be a good choice for lots and lots of Charisma based abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

17. - Top - End - #17

Isn't 'succubus paladin' sort of an oxymoron?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    My key concern would be what to do after succubus. I can't think of any class which complements it well. It is literally a dead end class.

It should be fun for the 12 lvs of the savage progression. Afterwards...
    Bard's not a bad choice, but Beguiler is even better. But for all-out synergy, any Charisma-based cased full caster would be awesomesauce. You know, like Sorcerer?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post

Probably, but it is not without precedent

20. - Top - End - #20

Convince your DM to let you take this feat. Become a Bard/Dervish. Destroy the world utterly.

If you can't find a way to make the fact that every opponent is shaken work for you, you aren't doing it right.
    Last edited by Noble Savant; 2010-01-21 at 06:26 AM.
    The only thing worse than an empty signature is one that has nothing at all to say. One that simply yammers on with little or no point; quietly, subtly draining away seconds of your life.

The worst are the ones that look like they have a point. Multiple paragraph monstrosities that you're sure will have some sort of satisfying conclusion. Some sort of goal, to show that your reading was not in vain.

It doesn't and it was.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Well, if you're playing a Succubus, you might as well do something that takes advantage of the her innate talents*.

Since you get Change Shape and Detect Thoughts, Mindspy and Warshaper should be open.

Just load up on Quicken SLA, Mindsight, Rapid Strike etc. and Greater Teleport to town.

*No, not those "talents".
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

22. - Top - End - #22

With all the Drizz't fanboys/girls playing good Drow, I think we may have a double standard here.

23. - Top - End - #23

Nothing in the paladin rules actually prevents a Succubus from being a paladin. If it said 'cannot be evil or chaotic' that would be a problem, but the amazing properties of doublethink allows an enterprising Succubus to be simultaneously Lawful and Chaotic, whilst being both Good and Evil for all relevant purposes. Moral flexibility is where all the action is, don'tcha know?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Pretty much anything that adds your Charisma bonus to anything should provide significant synergy, be it a class level, feat, magic item(?), or whatever. The Paladin of Slaughter variant might be worth considering.

"Hm. Apparently when a paladin and an anti-paladin collide, they annihilate in a burst of energy."

A social Rogue build seems appropriate to the monster's general theme of mostly manipulating people and only rarely attacking opportunistically. Probably not very optimal, but I think that it'd be my first choice when considering how to advance a succubus NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by tahu88810 View Post
    With core alone: Succubus Bard. It's sort of broken.
    I'm not seeing what's so great about straight Bard for a succubus.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Oh I wouldn't say that.

After all, isn't the point of a Succubus that she's willing to do everything? [/rimshot].

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post

I'm not seeing what's so great about straight Bard for a succubus.
    Diplomacy?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

You could use Tome's method to calculate the ECL (lv8 in this case, with the option of adding two extra HD for free)

Or you could build a character who can emulate a succubus. Start with a changeling duskblade 3, find some way to inflict negative levels and channel it through your unarmed strikes. Cabinet trickster gets you mind-reading and alternate form. Closest build I've found to a standard succubus in abilities (if using Tome material) is Changeling True Fiend 5/Conduit of the Lower Planes 2/Duskblade 3 with the Otherworldly (changes type to Outsider), Demon Wings and possibly Harmless Form feats (Spheres: Violation, Voracity), though you'll need three more CotLP levels to make your SLAs at-will.

See this thread for more.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-01-21 at 07:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I'm with Prime32 on this one, fluff is mutable.
    So how about a Changeling Half-Fey (FF)?

For a mere +2 LA you get (among other things):
    Minor Shape Change
    Wings (60 ft., Good)
    DR 5/cold iron
    +4 CHA
    Charm Person at-will
    some 1/day Enchantment SLAs (take Magic in the Blood from PGtF to make them 3/day)

Basically, everything you need to emulate a Succubus.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd had a Succubus (and a Deva) in my playing groups.

The problem is always "after?",but for they're savage progression level they go good.

Mine players who played Succubi tossed up some fiend of X after those level (one of possession,one of blasphemy)

The deva started up some fighter levels.

I would probably AVOID full casters. You would have many spells,high CD but...crappy spell. Take a look directly to gish PRC,the ones with their own spell progression like assassin (actually,if your master allow you to make a cha-based spellcasting assassin,it can be very very interesting). Or level in some militar class...I don't remember if there is any tob class cha based....

Some paladin,some hexblade.

Debuff the world,when you are not saying to anyone "you are my slave"...or play a tuned-down diplomacy build.

Some savage progression in actual play,specially in a non-overoptimized group (and one with a barghest don't seem an optimizing warfactory to me) can do pretty well..and go to town.
    I'm from Italy. So,sorry for my bad English!

Thanks A LOT to Nevitan for the fantastic Avatar!

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    "As long as she remains good-aligned, however, no vrock will answer her summons." - wait, they just magically know? There goes my succubus malconvoker idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokiko Mima View Post
    Nothing in the paladin rules actually prevents a Succubus from being a paladin. If it said 'cannot be evil or chaotic' that would be a problem, but the amazing properties of doublethink allows an enterprising Succubus to be simultaneously Lawful and Chaotic, whilst being both Good and Evil for all relevant purposes. Moral flexibility is where all the action is, don'tcha know?
    Well, really, it depends on whether you consider class alignment restrictions an "effect". (however, "The creature also suffers effects according to its actual alignment." would seem to imply you could still become a paladin even if this were the case)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Personally, I found all of the "monster class progressions" to be poorly written, but if you insist on playing one, a Succubus/Bard or a Succubus/Warlock would be a good choice for lots and lots of Charisma based abilities.
    Well the point is supposed to be that by the time you've finished it you're exactly at the point of being a level-0 monster character with normal racial abilities, HD, and LA, plus any real class levels you've taken.
    Last edited by Random832; 2010-01-21 at 09:13 AM.