New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tsukkio's Eyes

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Tsukkio's Eyes

Dunno if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it...she's got different color eyes, one blue, one black. So far as I know, this is entirely unique in the comic, and probably means something. Sure, you've got the duality of the mystic theurge thing, but I haven't seen blue eyes linked with either divine or arcane casters.

Eyes are generally red for undead, yellow for the non undead members of team evil, and black for pretty much everyone else.

Sure, you've got the odd colors for monsters or magical effects, but those don't seem to be terribly important, and anyhow, I've not seen anything with a deep blue like that. Has anyone else got any information or ideas as to what it could mean?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Tsukkio's Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Dunno if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it...she's got different color eyes, one blue, one black. So far as I know, this is entirely unique in the comic, and probably means something. Sure, you've got the duality of the mystic theurge thing, but I haven't seen blue eyes linked with either divine or arcane casters.

Eyes are generally red for undead, yellow for the non undead members of team evil, and black for pretty much everyone else.

Sure, you've got the odd colors for monsters or magical effects, but those don't seem to be terribly important, and anyhow, I've not seen anything with a deep blue like that. Has anyone else got any information or ideas as to what it could mean?
    She has a diff color eye in all comics,is mr. scrufy the same?i noticed he had a diff eye color in #698,are his eyes diff colors?
    I killed the thread killing thread,so yeah
    I cannot be held legally responsible for injuries gained by being overcome by my epicness.
    Awesome avvie by Serpentine!
    Spoiler
    Show

my hero
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-the belkster

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Her arcane magic color seems to be black, her divine magic color blue. Beyond that, I doubt it has more significance than Pompey's single ear denoting that he's a half-elf.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Arcane is purple
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, I always tought that the eyes of two different colours emphasized the fact that she is not the most sane or stable of people.

I don't really know why I associate different eye colour with madness though. Maybe some subconscious leftover from having read Sandman (Delirium has eyes of different colours, blue and green).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Pssst. It's heterochromia, which Keith Baker shares in his appearance; it's not unique, in that instance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I think it is purely because of the twin magic types.

Or maybe because she's alive and is attracted to the dead.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Allan A. Aokage View Post
    Pssst. It's heterochromia, which Keith Baker shares in his appearance; it's not unique, in that instance.
    My post didn't come out the way I intended it. I should have said that I make that association for comic characters, because of the "sandman" example I mentioned. I was aware that some people in real life have eyes of two different color, and I didn't mean to imply that the association estended to those people. My bad .

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Dunno if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it...she's got different color eyes, one blue, one black.
    Little thing, both of Tsukiko's eyes are blue. One is a darker blue than the other, but they're both blue. And I'm fairly confident that this has been discussed before, Tsukiko has been this way for the past 250 odd strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishDragon View Post
    She has a diff color eye in all comics,is mr. scrufy the same?i noticed he had a diff eye color in #698,are his eyes diff colors?
    Mr. Scruffy's eyes are probably the same shade of yellow, but because one is smaller the black border obscures it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I think it was an artistic choice by the giant so that people would know Thann was under her control in this comic.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Simple: Tsukiko = Christopher Walken in drag.
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" - Joseph Stalin

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

One is blue one is purple
    purple is arcane blue divine
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Are you familiar with punctuation, Lvl45DM? I had to read your post two-three times before I could make out what you are saying.

But I would imagine that the primary purpose of her heterochromia would be to distinguish between her divine/arcane magic when it was being cast. But, of course, Rich could have given her character heterochromia before she was revealed as a Mystic Theurge.

My post didn't come out the way I intended it... I was aware that some people in real life have eyes of two different color, and I didn't mean to imply that the association estended to those people.
    Oh no, I didn't meant to include yourself in my "psst" comment. It was very much a case of being "ninja'd," if you will; while heterochromia is a real-life medical condition, it is used a sign of "unnaturalness;" which, more often then not, is used as a sign of "madness," or what have you~ ;)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

In the Bad Old Days, having differently colored eyes was a surefire sign you were a witch. And that seems appropriate, somehow.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    In the Bad Old Days, having differently colored eyes was a surefire sign you were a witch. And that seems appropriate, somehow.
    Technically so was left handedness and red hair. My entire family would have been burned at the stake.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

It's probably just the magic, as has been said before.
    please say hi to my dragons, they are lonely.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iranon View Post
    Simple: Tsukiko = Christopher Walken in drag.
    Or possibly David Bowie.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Her arcane magic color seems to be black, her divine magic color blue. Beyond that, I doubt it has more significance than Pompey's single ear denoting that he's a half-elf.
    Wrong. They change colors at random.

Even when she's not spellcasting:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0517.html

Here, she switches between a divine and arcane spell without changing eye colors:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html

In the last two panels, she does nothing but talk and they change colors:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0522.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I think it was an artistic choice by the giant so that people would know Thann was under her control in this comic.
    This sounds plausible.

To go out further on a limb, the different eye colors probably just suggests that Tsukiko has a warped view of reality. By enthralling people by magic, she's warping them to her perspective.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2010-01-23 at 04:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Samantha eye's were both black.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Tsukiko's Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post

Even when she's not spellcasting:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0517.html

Here, she switches between a divine and arcane spell without changing eye colors:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html

In the last two panels, she does nothing but talk and they change colors:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0522.html
    You seem to be under the impression that I said her eyes change colors based on what magic she's using.

Her divine magic is blue, her arcane magic is black (or purple, but it looks black on my screen, and it's certainly not the same color as Vaarsuvius'). Your middle link shows this. The other two links...don't actually show anything about what I said. She has heterochrome eyes probably because she "does both," as the creature in the darkness put it, and she has heterochrome magic, too (by contrast to other spellcasters, like Vaarsuvius, who has only purple magic).
    Last edited by Kish; 2010-01-23 at 05:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I personally doubt this. While I'm certain that the Giant plans elements many strips in advance, suggesting that he chose to make a character an exception to his usual style of artwork just to use a specific effect almost a hundred strips later beggars belief. Besides, the Giant already has an established effect for mind affecting spells, the target gets swirly eyes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I think mos't people noticed this. By the way, who's Tsukkio? Is she related to Shinjo, Kabuto, and Hayley?

Also, ther's only one thing I can think of right now... desu.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Besides if he wanted to show Thahn under her charm he just does the same thing he did with belkar and use the colour of her magic without having two eye colours
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Yes, I think mos't people noticed this. By the way, who's Tsukkio? Is she related to Shinjo, Kabuto, and Hayley?

Also, ther's only one thing I can think of right now... desu.
    Who is this "Kabuto" of whom you speak? Seems to me most of the soldiers in the Azure City army wore kabuto...
    --

Meta Knight avatar courtesy of Connor DarkDart.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

She ate half a jar of the spice from the "Dune" spoof episode when she was a kid.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azukar View Post
    Who is this "Kabuto" of whom you speak? Seems to me most of the soldiers in the Azure City army wore kabuto...
    Yeas they did. I'm speaking of Kubota, who's namecan be easily confused with Kabuto.

So, that mean's three different usages of Kabuto then.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    (by contrast to other spellcasters, like Vaarsuvius, who has only purple magic).
    V's magic is pink. It's Girard's magic that's purple; and yeah, Tsukiko's eyes are clearly blue and purple. Does seem to be an issue with your monitor.

Aside from that, I agree, Tsu's heterochromia simply symbolizes her mastery of both arcane and divine types of magic, and whether her eyes change color randomly, deliberately, or not at all, has exactly zero to do with that

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    To my knowledge, you're the first person to mention their changing colours, nobody else was talking about that.

But you do raise an interesting point, in that it's not always the same eye that's blue and the same eye that's purple. That could very well be because of mirroring images at some point during the creation process: Tsukiko being asymmetrical, she can't be mirrored like most of the other characters.
    (Similarly, many of the characters end up being ambidextrous if we're to judge by the fact that they seem to hold their weapons in one hand, then suddenly the other one, then the first one again.)

Until proven wrong, I'm going to assume her eyes don't change colours, that one is blue and one purple and that the Giant has accidentally used the wrong image, making her eyes seem to change colours.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harr View Post
    V's magic is pink. It's Girard's magic that's purple; and yeah, Tsukiko's eyes are clearly blue and purple. Does seem to be an issue with your monitor.
    For a long, long time, i thought her other eye was black with a hint of blue. Then i thought navy blue. Then gray. Never once thought it was purple =/

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

its very clearly dark purple
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16