New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #701 - The Discussion Thread

Every hobgoblin cleric seems to have the same blue cloak. Exceptions are the former Supreme Leader and Jirix (last we saw him), whose are still bluish. (The brown cloaked hobbo was a wizard, apparently.)
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Every hobgoblin cleric seems to have the same blue cloak. Exceptions are the former Supreme Leader and Jirix (last we saw him), whose are still bluish. (The brown cloaked hobbo was a wizard, apparently.)
    Jirix isn't neccesarily a cleric =/ Don't forget, the wizard had a "holy symbol" too.

EDIT: I hereby nominate Jirix as the best minor character on team evil.
    Last edited by Kumo; 2010-01-28 at 06:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kumosabe View Post
    Jirix isn't neccesarily a cleric =/ Don't forget, the wizard had a "holy symbol" too.
    In DStP, Rich says that, in his mind, Jirix is the same cleric who was with Redcloak and Xykon in the throne room.

EDIT: I'm tempted to agree with that notion, but the existence of the booted wight prevents me to do so.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2010-01-28 at 06:50 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    In DStP, Rich says that, in his mind, Jirix is the same cleric who was with Redcloak and Xykon in the throne room.

EDIT: I'm tempted to agree with that notion, but the existence of the booted wight prevents me to do so.
    Best minor character with a name?

lol... seriously though. I like Jirix the best, for some strange reason.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

i most likely will when i get a debit/credit card...

And the red cloak is the high priest of the dark one's cloak. If there IS a Bluecloak somewhere, he's the high priest of a different god. Maybe the twelve gods, come to think of it?
    I kinda meant the comment in the sense of Redcloak having some unknown little brother somewhere that is going to end up killing him like he killed Right-eye. You know, just for the fun of yet another conspiracy theory geared towards an imaginary ironic ending for him.

"Bluecloak" was just the first name I could imagine for a relative of Reddie. I might as well have come up with "ElectricLimeGreenCloak". I'm actually kinda flattered by the "High priest of some other deity" idea.

Maybe he's a high priest of Banjo! Yay!
    Not-Nale wrong! Bluecloak is Giggles high-poobah!
    Last edited by Teleporker; 2010-01-28 at 08:40 PM.
    I prepared stinking runes this morning!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Teleporker View Post
    I kinda meant the comment in the sense of Redcloak having some unknown little brother somewhere that is going to end up killing him like he killed Right-eye. You know, just for the fun of yet another conspiracy theory geared towards an imaginary ironic ending for him.

"Bluecloak" was just the first name I could imagine for a relative of Reddie. I might as well have come up with "ElectricLimeGreenCloak". I'm actually kinda flattered by the "High priest of some other deity" idea.

Maybe he's a high priest of Banjo! Yay!
    Not-Nale wrong! Bluecloak is Giggles high-poobah!
    Meh. It's not terribly realistic.

It'd be kind of a cool twist if Jirix was related to redcloak in some way (like actually being half-goblin or being adopted or something) but it's not likely, and frankly, if he introduced redcloak's brother his only real purpose would be to kill Redcloak, and that's a horrible anticlimax.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

"sieg!"
    "haaaaaaaaah"
    "sieg!"
    "haaaaaaaaah"

8. - Top - End - #218

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #701 - The Discussion Thread

I read this comic with a friend over for the next two hours we kept saying to eachother:

'You hold something AND move it. ... At the same time!'

We kept cracking up and laughed at how mundane the MitD is with her.
    I am a firm believer in... the number 42. Beware!

Don't trust me what I write.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't know if anyone pointed this out, but one goblin reminds me of Thog.

The only difference is his/her face has his/her eyes closed.

Left side of panel.

I don't know why the other goblins didn't remind me of Thog...just the one. They have similar faces.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-01-29 at 12:36 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

10. - Top - End - #220

Something tells me this isn't going to go well. An emotionally conflicted character with conflict between he feels is right and what he feels he must do about to talk to a crowd of people who idealistically believe he's about to say something in their favor even though in all likelyhood he might not?

This should be interesting. And sad, if that little talk to Right-Eye is any indication.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I kinda meant the comment in the sense of Redcloak having some unknown little brother somewhere that is going to end up killing him like he killed Right-eye.
    That would be really terrible writing. How would Redcloak not know he had another brother? I don't think it works particularly well on the "ironic death" front, either. Personally, I still hope Redcloak gets redeemed somehow before all this is over, but he's going to have to develop a much thicker spine than he's shown to date to be able to do that.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Well, he does have

Spoiler
    Show
    a niece. Who we've yet to see outside SoD, iirc.

Does that count?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

Awesome comic. The assembled Goblin masses look awesome, the MitD singing cracked me up. Nice dramatic moment for Redcloak with the mirror, and I love how he looks so down in front of the cheering crowd.
    My username is usually ´Grotesque_Arachnid´ but it was too long for these forums

Supreme Egalitarian of the Redcloak Fanclub

14. - Top - End - #224
    Colossus in the Playground

i most likely will when i get a debit/credit card...

And the red cloak is the high priest of the dark one's cloak. If there IS a Bluecloak somewhere, he's the high priest of a different god. Maybe the twelve gods, come to think of it?
    Start of Darkness minor spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A newly ordained cleric of the Dark One wears a white cloak. The worldwide leader of the Dark One's religion wears the singular Crimson Mantle. Blue-cloaked goblin priests are probably somewhere in the middle, along with yellow-cloaked ones, green-cloaked ones, and so on.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bsparrow View Post
    Well, he does have

Spoiler
    Show

Does that count?
    Yes, you're right. RC is also perfectly aware of that. So yeah, I'd say it counts.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gagnrad View Post
    Why would they need him to pull a rope? Sounds weird.
    Because Lord Xykon (indirectly) ordered it... OOTS662 (last panel).
    Get Chaosium's Basic RolePlaying Quick-Start FREE from BRP Central!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Slightly worrying that we haven't seen Xykon since that strip. Makes me wonder precisely how pissed he is, and what he's actually up to (I don't really see him crawling on his hands and knees through the sewers when he has thousands of perfectly good IPGEL or Undead mooks to do it for him, and he doesn't seem happy with staying put and doing nothing, so what's he up to?).
    I am a...

Spoiler
    Show
    True Neutral Human Wizard (2nd Level)

Strength- 12

Dexterity- 10

Constitution- 12

Intelligence- 18

Wisdom- 18

Charisma- 14

Many thanks to Darwin for the avatar.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Delight View Post
    How cute. Azure City has become a goblinoid Mecca.
    a goblinoid something yes, but there's a real world equivalent that matches the goblins' relation to Azure City a lot better than Mecca. Going into specifics would probably breach the rule against real world politics though, and comparing real world people to the evil goblins probably counts as flaming so I'll not get into details
    A viking who isn't intimidated!!

Dreaming of a wight apocalypse

"next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face!"

19. - Top - End - #229

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bsparrow View Post
    Well, he does have

Spoiler
    Show

Does that count?
    Spoiler
    Show

A niece? As in Right-eye's daughter? If he's got no more brothers, then there is an actual possibility for at least some bad blood between her and Redcloak.

That is, unless she did not like her dad or something along those lines.

I so have to get that book now!

Ahhh... the crackpot conspiracy thickens!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground

There was a high priest of the twelve gods.

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    Dunno if anybody else noticed this, but in the splash panel there is one goblin whose greenish tint is slightly off. His skin is lighter, and I point this out, because as far as I have seem, everything has the same color palette. I've never seen a goblin or hobgoblin have a different shade of coloring without them being a plot-worthy character.

Perhaps ol' Split-Pea here is a new NPC, or perhaps a Doppleganger! GASP!
    Quote Originally Posted by derfenrirwolv View Post
    Yes, hes slightly different colored

Could be a half breed, could be a goblin with a tan. Who knows.
    [And many others]
    Poor Rich. He can't even vary a color palate by a few shades without providing a fertile breeding ground for the epileptic trees.
    It's Celia in disguise!
    It's so sad.
    Or it's a member of Team Peregrine, ready to cast AOE spells on the gathered Hob/Goblin masses!
    Really.
    No, no, I've got it! It's a completely new, never before hinted at new menace, far, far more evil than Zycon(sic) could ever be! Everyone is doomed, DOOMED I TELL YOU!!!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Returning to my earlier theory about a potiential splash attack on all these Hobgoblins...

Ofc I meant this was going to happen when all four key Team Evil members were away from the source of the attack at the time. Xykon, Redcloak, MiTD and Tsuikiko probably wouldn't be there at the inst of the attack (Jirix? has he been raised yet?)

And Remember, their first priority was visiting the unified new Resistance... perhaps they'll also be involved in a potiential surprise attack?
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoC175 View Post
    There was a high priest of the twelve gods.
    maybe a new one? =3

24. - Top - End - #234
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Has Redcloak changed his mind about how he feels about Xyrcon? He probably knows what the amulet was but didn't do anything about it knowing that with it destroyed they could do something about Xyrcon.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    Has Redcloak changed his mind about how he feels about Xyrcon? He probably knows what the amulet was but didn't do anything about it knowing that with it destroyed they could do something about Xyrcon.
    ... are you talking about the phylactery? The one redcloak actually told us about at the end of the first story arc? >.>

26. - Top - End - #236

MonkGirl

If they've found the phylactery (or made a new one?), then they'll be teleporting to the next gate soon. Which means they aren't taking the goblin horde with them. So this city is Redcloak's legacy to them. He has been stalling for months now trying to ensure they will be able to maintain their hold here. It'll be interesting to see what he has to say, but I fear another scene shift.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsavereide View Post
    If they've found the phylactery (or made a new one?), then they'll be teleporting to the next gate soon. Which means they aren't taking the goblin horde with them. So this city is Redcloak's legacy to them. He has been stalling for months now trying to ensure they will be able to maintain their hold here. It'll be interesting to see what he has to say, but I fear another scene shift.
    It's only been 3 chapters, it'll be a while before the next scene shift. Maybe after Tsukiko tells MiTD that the cloister is blocking O'Chul?

Also: the scrying sensor has the same color magic as one of the hobgoblin clerics that healed redcloak near the end of the Azure City under siege arc.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0465.html

28. - Top - End - #238

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dsavereide View Post
    I don't think Xykon can make a new phylactery. That requires transferring your entire life force into it. As far as I know, you can't split it "a la Voldemort".

Whatever it is Redcloak is going to tell them, he's not happy about. You can see it in his face.

The hobbos sure will be left behind though. Xykon doesn't have "Epic Teleport" in his spell list, does he?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

I don't think Xykon can make a new phylactery. That requires transferring your entire life force into it. As far as I know, you can't split it "a la Voldemort".

Whatever it is Redcloak is going to tell them, he's not happy about. You can see it in his face.

The hobbos sure will be left behind though. Xykon doesn't have "Epic Teleport" in his spell list, does he?
    If he did, he would've simply done that instead of just walking the whole way to the Azure City countryside

30. - Top - End - #240
    Barbarian in the Playground

That requires transferring your entire life force into it.
    SoD Spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, as Xykon said at the time, his soul lives in his body until and unless his body is destroyed. It doesn't stay in the phylactery.

Then again, he may have been bluffing to convince RC it was a waste of time to destroy the phylactery, at least for long enough for him to get some decent back-up plans in place....