New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #702 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    Gobbotopia: worst name for a goblin nation ever.
    It probably sounds much better in the original goblin...
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2010-02-02 at 11:47 AM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    It probably sounds much better in the original globlin...
    You win the thread... no further posts necessary

3. - Top - End - #273
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I found the "the occupation ended... CUZ WE ARE OFFICIALLY A NATION NOW!" joke very lame. I was hoping to see some action on the Bad Guys part.

I wonder if what RC says is true: have all those nations really approved Gobbotopia? Apparently Cliffport did, but it sounds hard to believe that a swarm of Goblinoids (led by a Lich) takes over a major city and the rest of the world is just shrugging. Either they're afraid of Xykon, are just bidding their time- or RC is stringing his people along. Even Cliffport, as much as they might dislike the Paladin's honesty, are probably being idiots thinking Goblinoids would be any better.

Also, I get the impression that RC is celebrating WAY too early. He still has Xykon and The Gate to deal with... not to mention resistance forces within the city.

Presumably, the city will be rescued at some point. And since I have a feeling RC isn't going to survive to the end of the series, I wonder what will happen to the Goblin nation. Perhaps Rich will be kind enough to let it stand somewhere else; the whole "Humanoid Rights" thing has been a topic here for a long while now.
    Last edited by Sijo; 2010-02-02 at 09:46 AM.
    Opinions are like butts- everybody has got one, but nobody thinks theirs stinks.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

Greysky is the one not likely to be fond of paladins.

Cliffport, on the other hand, has a very strong take on the rights of prisoners, with "Detect X alignment" spells, being considered an illegal search.

Cliffport was also the most recent to sign up.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sijo View Post
    I found the "the occupation ended... CUZ WE ARE OFFICIALLY A NATION NOW!" joke very lame. I was hoping to see some action on the Bad Guys part.
    That might be because it wasn't supposed to be funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    That might be because it wasn't supposed to be funny.
    On the contrary - Redcloak was oozing with smugness as he delivered that little gem.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    On the contrary - Redcloak was oozing with smugness as he delivered that little gem.
    And how is smug supposed to be funny? Maybe he's smug because he believes he's achieving the cherished dream of a Goblinoid Nation.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

8. - Top - End - #278
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Didn't #680 make pretty clear that every year a number of countries get conquered, and then within a year those conquerers are in turn overthrown? Given the pending 1-year anniversary of the conquest, it's entirely possible that Gobbotopia doesn't have long to go.
    "'Surrender.' Ha! How do they come up with this stuff?"
    "The Belkster don't have time for the fuglies."
    Prepared by: Nale, Super-Genius

9. - Top - End - #279
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hungry Joe View Post
    Didn't #680 make pretty clear that every year a number of countries get conquered, and then within a year those conquerers are in turn overthrown? Given the pending 1-year anniversary of the conquest, it's entirely possible that Gobbotopia doesn't have long to go.
    On the Western Continent, which is dominated by a huge desert, and therefore has a lot of useless land for people to draw borders on.

A lush, heavily populated continent is probably an entirely different story. After all, Haley is dismayed when she learns that Tyrannia has probably been overthrown. If that was the norm back home, why would she be surprised?
    Last edited by bsparrow; 2010-02-02 at 12:13 PM.
    SELF-SNEAK-ATTACK! ....wait.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Moved this to a more appropriate thread
    Last edited by Grimly Feendish; 2010-02-02 at 04:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Three generations in twenty years, do goblins really live that fast?
    Maybe they just give birth at a very young age?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jlvm4 View Post
    Before that, it's like messing with the lives of ants. Why bother?
    Tell that to the kid with the magnifying glass.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-02-03 at 06:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    And how is smug supposed to be funny? Maybe he's smug because he believes he's achieving the cherished dream of a Goblinoid Nation.
    I agree it wasn't funny - "witty" would be a better term - but what Sijo was getting at, was that Redcloak wasn't being nearly as witty as he thought he was.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

In moden DnD what is Armour Class called. I get so confused when people talk about AC but mean Azure City. I therefore get the impression that AC isn't armour class anymore.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Banned

It's still called AC. The two just share an acronym as a coincidence.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-02-03 at 06:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dale View Post
    I don't think he was referring to "the government of the United States of America" when he was said "we." He used "we" in the colloquial sense, such as how they is used in "they say there's too many lawyers in the world."

What The Weirdo meant was that we, as a collection of individual persons, tend to make a moral--not a political--evaluation of nations that deny freedom of speech as being 'bad.' i.e. criminal.

There also seems to be a lot of disagreement in this thread due to a misunderstanding of the difference between a 'legal right' and a 'fundamental right.' The Weirdo has been using the definition of a fundamental right, and Humvee driver has been using the definition of a legal right. A fundamental right would be a right inherent to one's being as a human; The Weirdo's point is that a person has freedom of speech because an individual is a conscious, self-aware being that has the ability to make moral distinctions. Taking away freedom of speech is a bad thing in the moral sense, as it is a violation of the individuals personhood, and a nation that does this is bad or criminal.

The Humvee driver is looking at freedom of speech as a right in the legal sense, i.e. having the ability to enforce said right through the legal system. Humvee makes no distinction as to WHY that right exists in the legal system, only that it does and that it can in theory be enforced.

In the American legal system, 'freedom of speech' is both a legal right and a fundamental right. It was placed in the Constitution as a legal right BECAUSE it is a fundamental right; at least thats how the drafters of the Bill of Rights considered it and thats how it is treated in the American legal system.

I'm with The Wierdo on this in that I also consider freedom of speech to be a fundamental right. If tomorrow Congress proposed a Constitutional Amendment to abolish the First Amendment, and the States ratified this Amendment, I would consider that to be a very very bad thing. I certainly would not just shrug my shoulders and say "Oh well, I guess I don't have that right anymore." I would consider such to be a gross encroachment on the fundamental right to say what one believes that I think all people have inherently. If one considers freedom of speech to be a legal right and nothing more--that it there is nothing inherently good or bad about people having freedom of speech--then in order to be consistent you'd have to take the shoulder-shrugging route.

One final comment: The closest thing I saw in this strip that could be considered to have any reference to the United States directly would be the comment on Cliffport regarding using economic means to influence policy. The other references to an occupational force and insurgents are way too broad to be taken as a reference to any particular nation in any particular time; those situations have existed for as long as human history has been recorded.
    Thank you, Father. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Colossus in the Playground

Its worth remembering, that in OoTS, "Lawful Good government" does not necessarily mean "has freedom of speech":

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0272.html

Is it a case of Azure City choosing Law over Good here?

Or simply deciding that state secrets + safety of the world, are enough to override the "freedom of speech principle?"

Come to think of it- might a CG D&D government be willing to limit freedom of speech?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-02-02 at 03:29 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, it was good but Gobbotopia, bit weak.

Not that I could do any better, but still....
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-02-03 at 06:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, It's a little late (I had stuff to do), and I'm probably not the first one saying this but.... That was a truly magnificent turn of events
    I enjoyed every single moment of reading it

Be nice, give him a hug. Look how much he want's it!

Avatar and Signature were made by me

23. - Top - End - #293
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-02-03 at 06:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

RedWizardGuy

I wonder if what RC says is true: have all those nations really approved Gobbotopia? Apparently Cliffport did, but it sounds hard to believe that a swarm of Goblinoids (led by a Lich) takes over a major city and the rest of the world is just shrugging.
    Well, all in all, remember that we're talking entire legions of hobgoblins rather than just a ragtag group, and they managed to bring down a nation that was basically swarming with paladins (whatever level they may have had).

Imagine the position of any other nations, specially those nearby. To them, this looks like the "Orange Tsunami" wiped out the best-protected place around, and anyone opposing them will meet the same fate.
    I prepared stinking runes this morning!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I wonder if what RC says is true: have all those nations really approved Gobbotopia? Apparently Cliffport did, but it sounds hard to believe that a swarm of Goblinoids (led by a Lich) takes over a major city and the rest of the world is just shrugging. Either they're afraid of Xykon, are just bidding their time- or RC is stringing his people along. Even Cliffport, as much as they might dislike the Paladin's honesty, are probably being idiots thinking Goblinoids would be any better.
    Keep in mind none of the other nations are eager to start a war with Gobbotopia (second page, panel three).
    Executive producer of the Demon Cockroach Shadowrama Spectacular

26. - Top - End - #296
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dale View Post
    Plus, I firmly believe that economic engagement is a perfect tool for motivating a change in behavior.
    I have no doubt Cliffport might yet reconsider their stance on slavery, the Free Market is the only tried and true source of long term wealth.

27. - Top - End - #297

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dunesen View Post
    Good call! I had totally forgotten about that one!

In other news, is this comic the first one where the roaches (or rather, roach) appear without saying anything at all?

Totally not my fault!
    I prepared stinking runes this morning!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I also consider freedom of speech to be a fundamental right"

The human in United Towns commonly look down on the kobalds in Clayna for banning certain topics of discussion, not having trials where accused can openly face accuser, and where judgments could never be questioned.

Meanwhile, if you surf the Link with your SeeVee, you'll notice that many LinkSites hosted in United Towns practice similar censorship of certain topics, and admins are judge and jury in secret just like Clayna, and no one is allowed to question their judgment publicly.

Kobalds in return say they have just as much right to censor their citizens access to LinkSites as local admins in United Towns censor their little sites. It is so much *easier* to censor whatever you like, play judge in secret, and never allow anyone to question your rulings.

on a side note, lets try to avoid talking about real world politics, as not allowed in the forum rules.
    Last edited by multilis; 2010-02-02 at 06:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dunesen View Post
    This is exactly why I think Gobbotopia doesn't have any real approval at all- the other nations are afraid of going to war with it, but the moment Hinjo and his people return in force, they won't defend the Goblins' rights either. Cliffport might enjoy more slave trade freedom (pun intended) for now, but unless they're dumb they won't favor the nation with the Epic-Level Undead Sorcerer on top forever. I don't think anybody outside the city actually agrees the gobs have a right to their nation, no matter what RC claims (but then, he's talking to his own, beloved, not-too-smart people.)
    Opinions are like butts- everybody has got one, but nobody thinks theirs stinks.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

...I wasn't really impressed by this comic, but ah, well.
    I was hoping for a bit of plot movement, but it does settle Redcloak's control over the place. Kinda.

Echoes of the heart never fade...