New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default better version of dodge?

I remember somebody mentioning there was a better feat that counts for dodge for class requirements and such. They mentioned desert wind dodge and then one other one but I can't remember the named. The latter is the one I'm looking for.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: better version of dodge?

If it's based on movement, that's Expeditious Dodge. If it was an Incarnum feat, there's one there too that counts as Dodge. There's also Psionic Dodge.

I wanna say it was Cobalt Dodge, for Incarnum (some kind of blue color theme)?
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    I remember somebody mentioning there was a better feat that counts for dodge for class requirements and such. They mentioned desert wind dodge and then one other one but I can't remember the named. The latter is the one I'm looking for.
    Expeditious Dodge?

I'll probably get ninja'd as I wait for the sixty seconds to end.

...gah! Ninja'd.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-02-05 at 02:47 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Expeditious Dodge from Races of the Wild is the main one, if you've got a good move speed. Apart from that, there's an Incarnum dodge feat and Desert Wind Dodge.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Specifically:
    Midnight Dodge. 1 essentia, and essentia can add to your AC vs one opp. So it's Dodge, but better in every way.
    Expeditious Dodge: +2 dodge to AC vs everyone when you move 40' in a round. Better for certain builds(generally, all builds that want dodge)
    Desert Wind Dodge: +1 AC, +1 Fire damage with certain weapons, as long as you move 10'. Again, if you want Dodge, this is better.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Midnight dodge from magic of incarnum was the feat. unfortunately it doesn't work for my character. Expeditious dodge or desert wind dodge might work.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-02-05 at 02:54 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Midnight dodge from magic of incarnum was the feat. unfortunately it doesn't work for my character. Expeditious dodge or desert wind dodge might work.
    Why do you have less than 13 Con(I assume anyone who wants Dodge has 13 Dex)? Desert Wind Dodge is easier to activate, and the weapons aren't required for the AC, just the damage(though there's a chance you'll be using them anyways). Expeditious can be chancy.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2010-02-05 at 02:57 AM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8

I haven't read Expeditious Dodge in a while, but if I remember right, charging with it would basically negate the penalty to AC from charging, if that's what you want.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Do Warblade/Swordsages get essentia? because otherwise Midnight dodge doesn't really help me.with the 1 point you get with the feat it's not really better than dodge.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Do Warblade/Swordsages get essentia? because otherwise Midnight dodge doesn't really help me.with the 1 point you get with the feat it's not really better than dodge.
    No, but there are other sources(and uses) of essentia.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    No, but there are other sources(and uses) of essentia.

Care to name a few? I'd prefer to not have to use a whole bunch of feats.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Not hugely up on Incarnum, since the book is rather complicated, but there's a human subrace that gets 1 essentia instead of the skills, there's an incarnum version of toughness and a bunch of similar prerequisite feats, and of course taking an Incarnum class. Really, I don't know the book well enough to be more specific.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ah. Unfortunately this character is already level 8 and about to be level 9. I was just wondering if there was a better alternative to dodge before I go into master of the nine. Unfortunately you have to take your class level first and then you feat. Or so I've been told.

14. - Top - End - #14

Certain races (such as Azurin) get a point of essentia for free. Other Incarnum feats can grant extra points of essentia, as well. I believe you can have up to 2 points at level 1, with a feat and azurin. That would still leave you with a feat, and your class. Take Midnight Dodge, and you start with a +2 base. Now, you'd have to use the second feat for Improved Essentia Capacity (to allow you to put 2 points in at level 1), but if you're starting at a higher level, just do whatever with the other feat, and wait for character level to allow you to put 2 in. Of course, if you take additional +essentia feats, you'd have to wait until you could put all your points in.

15. - Top - End - #15

Care to name a few? I'd prefer to not have to use a whole bunch of feats.
    Azurins and Dusklings both get a bonus point of Essentia. Duskling is also able to put that to good use by enhancing their Base Land Speed at will. Ok option, and opens up Cobalt Power for a Warblade (stacks with Stone Power).

An Essentia Helm (AKA Helm of Essentia) temporarily maxes out the Essentia of one feat, soulmeld, spell, or class feature for a set duration (typically long enough for an entire encounter) a certain number of times/day. These are cheap items and can be swapped out when you run out of daily. Two of these and you'll be guaranteed a maxed out Midnight Dodge every encounter (to a maximum of 6 or so encounters/day). Swift action to use. Best method.

Psycarnum Infusion acts like an Essentia Helm, but requires your Psionic Focus instead of a daily use limit. Not practical unless you can focus as a Swift action AND have an additional Swift action every turn.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ah. Unfortunately this character is already level 8 and about to be level 9. I was just wondering if there was a better alternative to dodge before I go into master of the nine.
    Since you're going into Master of Nine, take Desert Wind Dodge. It's more thematically appropriate, and it's in the same book.

Unfortunately you have to take your class level first and then you feat. Or so I've been told.
    I'm pretty sure that you can take feats and levels in whatever order is most beneficial to you, as long as you don't use the level and the feat to qualify for each other. So you can take (Desert Wind) Dodge as your 9th level feat to take Mo9 as your 9th level, unless your DM is the one who told you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by KellKheraptis View Post
    There's also Psionic Dodge.
    Psionic Dodge doesn't count as Dodge, it requires Dodge.
    SnakePirate avatar by CheesePirate

Running Emerald City Knights (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Translation: when Bahamut called "Dibs!" on your soul the devils sat back down, muttering under their breaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by TricksyAndFalse View Post
    4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gametime View Post
    I think we can all agree that optimizing a Beholder Mage beyond being a Beholder Mage is safely in the realm of "overkill" to begin with.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you can take feats and levels in whatever order is most beneficial to you, as long as you don't use the level and the feat to qualify for each other. So you can take (Desert Wind) Dodge as your 9th level feat to take Mo9 as your 9th level, unless your DM is the one who told you otherwise.
    No. You can pick feats and bonus feats and, IIRC, skill ranks in any order; but you must pick class levels before you pick any of those things.

Otherwise, there would be all kinds of shenanigans with entering a PrC, using that PrC's own class skill list to meet skill-based prerequisites for entering that PrC.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pathfinder Dodge gives you a constant +1 Dodge bonus to AC against all opponents all the time, which is much easier to keep track of.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    No. You can pick feats and bonus feats and, IIRC, skill ranks in any order; but you must pick class levels before you pick any of those things.
    No, it's class, skills, then feats. Because feats that require x ranks in a skill are meant to be available the level you get those ranks, and classes that require x ranks in a skill are meant to come the level after you get those ranks.

There is actually a set order to levelling up, and you don't get to pick and choose which goes where.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    I swear that I've read that you can take a PrC level and its prerequisite feat at the same time. I don't remember the source, but I'm sure it's there.

Compare a ranger 5/beastmaster 1 who takes Skill Focus (Handle Animal) as his 6th level feat and a fighter 2/cleric 1 who takes Scribe Scroll as his 3rd level feat. Both meet all prerequisites involved, but one takes the feat before the level and the other takes the level before the feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74
    Otherwise, there would be all kinds of shenanigans with entering a PrC, using that PrC's own class skill list to meet skill-based prerequisites for entering that PrC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you can take feats and levels in whatever order is most beneficial to you, as long as you don't use the level and the feat to qualify for each other.
    I probably should have said "prerequisites" instead of "feat." You can't take the PrC level at all until you have the skill-based prerequisites, so either way those shenanigans don't work.

If my example ranger 5 only has 7 ranks in Handle Animal, he can't take the beastmaster level because he doesn't qualify for it. By the time he uses his 6th level skill points to buy another rank, he still can't take the beastmaster level because he already took another ranger level to get the skill points he needed.

Basically, levels come before skills, but otherwise the order doesn't matter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Translation: when Bahamut called "Dibs!" on your soul the devils sat back down, muttering under their breaths.
    4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.
    I think we can all agree that optimizing a Beholder Mage beyond being a Beholder Mage is safely in the realm of "overkill" to begin with.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    No, it's class, skills, then feats. Because feats that require x ranks in a skill are meant to be available the level you get those ranks, and classes that require x ranks in a skill are meant to come the level after you get those ranks.

There is actually a set order to levelling up, and you don't get to pick and choose which goes where.
    I think you can take the feat, but not skills, required for a PrC at the same time as the first level in that PrC. Dirgesinger springs to mind. The PrC requires the feat Requiem. Requiem requires 8 ranks in Perform. The sample character is Brd5/Dirgesinger2, which means that at 6th he simultaneously took his first level in the PrC as well as the feat required for the PrC.

Unless WotC made a mistake with a sample character. Which I understand has happened on occasion.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Aldizog View Post
    Unless WotC made a mistake with a sample character. Which I understand has happened on occasion.

Try "In every printed splatbook".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I think you can take the feat, but not skills, required for a PrC at the same time as the first level in that PrC. Dirgesinger springs to mind. The PrC requires the feat Requiem. Requiem requires 8 ranks in Perform. The sample character is Brd5/Dirgesinger2, which means that at 6th he simultaneously took his first level in the PrC as well as the feat required for the PrC.

They made a mistake. Feats absolutely do not come before level selection. The order is class-BAB-Base saves-ability score increase-hp-skills-feat-spells-class features; it's on page 58 of the PHB if you want to check yourself. Usually that exact order isn't too important, but it is the basis for why you can take a feat on the same level that you attain its prerequisites. It also means that you can't use class bonus feats to qualify for a general feat selection on the same level.. but you can use a general feat choice to qualify for a particular class-granted bonus, if necessary (this may sometimes be relevant for Fighters. Most other classes won't notice any difference.)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

It also means that you can take spells that require a certain feat (Incarnum spells... and that's probably it) on the same level you take the feat.

Which is nice. It'd suck if you couldn't.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Also, Feats explicitly state that you have to meet the requirements for them this level, while Prestige Classes specifically state you have to have had the requirements for them last level.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    The order is class-BAB-Base saves-ability score increase-hp-skills-feat-spells-class features; it's on page 58 of the PHB if you want to check yourself.
    Usually that exact order isn't too important, but it is the basis for why you can take a feat on the same level that you attain its prerequisites.
    Oh. It seems I was mistaken, then.

Thanks for the clarification and page citation.

Normally, I don't mind mistakes in sample characters very much, but when they confirm an incorrect interpretation of the rules...

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Why do you want Dodge, anyway?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Probably because it's a prerequisite for a zillion feats and PrCs.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Probably because it's a prerequisite for a zillion feats and PrCs.
    Including Master of Nine, which is apparently what he's going for.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

A better version of Dodge?

How about

Better Dodge {General}
    You are adept at dodging blows.
    Prerequisite: Dex 13.
    Benefit: As a free action on your turn, you may designate an opponent and receive a +2 dodge bonus to your Armor Class against attacks from that opponent. You may select a new opponent on any action.
    For every 5 points of Base Attack Bonus beyond +1, you gain an additional +1 dodge bonus which may be applied as part of the same free action, either against the same opponent or a different one. A character may use his ranks in Tumble - 3 in place of his Base Attack Bonus for calculating additional dodge bonuses.
    A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses.
    Go show that to your DM and see what he says.
    Last edited by Twilight Jack; 2010-02-05 at 06:20 PM.
    Minstrel Emeritus of the Elan Fan Club
    Elan.
    He's useful!

Join, join, join, join the Elan Fan Club!