New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default 3.5: Increasing Sorcerer's Spells Known

Again, the title is pretty self-explanatory. I was thinking of being a sorcerer--but the amount of spells known is pretty scant for the class and I was wondering if there was a way around that.

The spontaneous casting is really appealing and I would like to try a class that can do that.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Wow. You must be at least... 5000 years old. Probably even more! ;)

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks
    https://sites.google.com/site/writingsofanauthor/

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5: Increasing Sorcerer's Spells Known

Mage of the Arcane Order will take some extra qualifying to get into, but it'll make you a versatile monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Play a Beholder Mage instead and get infinite spells known.

I jest. Seriously, Arcane Disciple or Extra Spell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Rainbow Servant (CD)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Normally I'd suggest Sand Shaper, but it has come to my attention that the Summon Deserty Ally spells suck, so most of that list is worthless. Fiend Blooded from Heroes of Horror is always good. Or Bloodline feats from Dragon Magazine.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sand Shaper PrC from Sandstorm gives some nice utility spells and it has a really neat capstone.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon #...330, I believe, has Knowstones. Each one holds a single spell that as long as you have the stone, you know and can cast normally.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Items are the best way to do it, once you have a decent amount of WBL to play with, and the Heritage feats help too. The 9th-level Sorcerer I'm currently playing has effectively 40 spells known - enough that it's pretty hard to remember them all.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by gorfnab View Post
    Rainbow Servant (CD)
    Doesn't help. It just lets you pick spells known off the Cleric list; you're still limited to the same number of spells known as before.

Runestaves (Magic Item Compendium) are the best way to increase a Sorcerer's spells known, IMHO. Their 1/day-per-spell limitation is silly and annoying, but easily ignored; and other than that, they're quite well-balanced and thematic.

You could also look up a different spontaneous casting class, one that knows all of the spells on its list automatically (Beguiler, Warmage, Dread Necromancer), but all of them come with highly specialized spell lists, so I actually like Sorcerer better.

So yeah. I say just play a Sorcerer, with a Runestaff or two. And Knowstones if your DM allows them.

EDIT: Of course, you should also pick flexible spells. Never pick See Invisibility, for example, when Glitterdust has almost the same utility and doubles as an attack spell. Shadow Conjuration and, eventually, Greater Shadow Evocation are very nice options, and even with a small XP cost, Limited Wish is a tempting option.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2010-02-08 at 03:32 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post

Runestaves (Magic Item Compendium) are the best way to increase a Sorcerer's spells known, IMHO. Their 1/day-per-spell limitation is silly and annoying, but easily ignored; and other than that, they're quite well-balanced and thematic.

So yeah. I say just play a Sorcerer, with a Runestaff or two. And Knowstones if your DM allows them.
    Actually, you can have up to 3 spells 3/day per staff and their cast at your level. I remember I had a sorcerer with over 100 spells known at level 13 with these. (Ok, some of them were Sandshaper spells)
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dragon 330 has eleven or so Far Realm themed spells that you can learn by making a Knowledge (the Planes) check, spending a few thousand gold and sacrificing a point of Con. If memory serves, most of them are decent, and you can get more power out of them with a voluntary Will save at some risk to yourself.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A lot of interesting responses I hadn't found on my own. Is there a way to access these dragon magazines online?

Also, where can I find these things:

Rainbow Servant
    Arcane Disciple
    Extra Spell

Thanks again to the replies, they are all appreciated!

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Normally I'd suggest Sand Shaper, but it has come to my attention that the Summon Deserty Ally spells suck, so most of that list is worthless. Fiend Blooded from Heroes of Horror is always good. Or Bloodline feats from Dragon Magazine.
    I'm a big fan of the Bloodline feats. They give you a preselected spell of each level. Usually there are two or three good spells per list. Keep in mind that the only prereq is a level 1 spontaneous caster, so they can expand your bard, duskblade, or beguiler lists too.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Bloodline feats. They give you a preselected spell of each level. Usually there are two or three good spells per list. Keep in mind that the only prereq is a level 1 spontaneous caster, so they can expand your bard, duskblade, or beguiler lists too.
    The Bloodline feats were reprinted in Dragon Compendium, so no need to hunt through old Dragon magazines for them. If only Knowstones were too.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 sharnian View Post
    Actually, you can have up to 3 spells 3/day per staff and their cast at your level. I remember I had a sorcerer with over 100 spells known at level 13 with these. (Ok, some of them were Sandshaper spells)
    You know you can only be attuned to one Runestaff at a time, right? Or did you miss that rule? :P
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Protecar View Post
    A lot of interesting responses I hadn't found on my own. Is there a way to access these dragon magazines online?

Rainbow Servant
    Arcane Disciple
    Extra Spell

Thanks again to the replies, they are all appreciated!
    Those first two don't do anything. They expand your spell list, not your spells known.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #17

Rainbow Servant
    A PrC in Complete Divine, I believe.

Arcane Disciple
    A feat in Complete Divine.

Extra Spell
    A feat in Complete Arcane.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Those first two don't do anything. They expand your spell list, not your spells known.
    Awww... But now how am I gonna make a sorceror with extra spells?

Edit: Thanks Draz, does Extra Spell give another spell known?
    Last edited by Protecar; 2010-02-08 at 04:43 PM.

Results

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mage of the Arcane Order, while bearing significant limitations, essentially enables a sorcerer to cast anything he wants.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Mage of the Arcane Order will take some extra qualifying to get into, but it'll make you a versatile monster.
    I've never been entirely sure about this prestige class. It says that your bonus for certain levels is to get an extra spell in your spellbook. Sorcerers don't use spellbooks.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's certainly geared more for wizards, but there's a feat in Complete Arcane (Arcane Preparation) that allows a sorcerer to meet the essential requirements for the MotAO class just like a wizard.

EDIT: And, for reference's sake, MotAO is also from Complete Arcane, so this isn't some weird multi-source book cross-reference cheese.
    Last edited by Chaelos; 2010-02-08 at 04:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    I've never been entirely sure about this prestige class. It says that your bonus for certain levels is to get an extra spell in your spellbook. Sorcerers don't use spellbooks.
    Who cares? It gives you basically the entire Wizard/Sorcerer spell list as your spells known.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    Right, but if you've taken the feats that allows you to prepare spells from a spellbook (can someone remind wha they are) then you're ok. Moreover, what is really nice about Mage of the Arcane Order is the ability to get pretty close to any spell on the fly.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, I just looked the class up once again. There's expressly a line about "Spellcasters who do not use spellbooks" not getting the benefit of the "New Spells" added at some of the levels in this class; this implies that spontaneous casters are able to join the class and receive all other benefits from it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelos View Post
    Also, I just looked the class up once again. There's expressly a line about "Spellcasters who do not use spellbooks" not getting the benefit of the "New Spells" added at some of the levels in this class; this implies that spontaneous casters are able to join the class and receive all other benefits from it.
    Alternatively, prepared spellcasters who don't use spellbooks. There are a couple.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah, I've looked at MotAO but I was trying to make a sorcerer/binder/Anima Mage to give me some room to play around with different things(vestiges and spontaneous magic)--so I don't really have room for that prestige class.

Of course, I'm open to any suggestions though.

Results

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I've looked at MotAO but I was trying to make a sorcerer/binder/Anima Mage to give me some room to play around with different things(vestiges and spontaneous magic)--so I don't really have room for that prestige class.

Of course, I'm open to any suggestions though.
    That's a very strong build if well-played. If you pick your daily vestiges well you won't have much need for additional spells known.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    That's a very strong build if well-played. If you pick your daily vestiges well you won't have much need for additional spells known.
    Bolded the key words. I'm pretty open to admitting that I'm far from an optimal player. I like to play with more fun little things like evocation spells(sometimes) and even leering at the vestiges for a while, they don't seem like they provide much synergy for what the sorcerer does.

Then again, what do I know? *shrug*

Results

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What about carrying eternal wands of spells not on your spell list? It'd let you cast it twice daily.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Bolded the key words. I'm pretty open to admitting that I'm far from an optimal player. I like to play with more fun little things like evocation spells(sometimes) and even leering at the vestiges for a while, they don't seem like they provide much synergy for what the sorcerer does.

Then again, what do I know? *shrug*
    Ok. In that case, you probably want the vestige (whose name I forget, it isn't in ToM but is in some official WoTC webpage) that allows you to summon monsters. That gives you a lot of fairly obvious on the fly tricks. After that, change your vestiges based on what you are expecting to fight. A lot of vestiges have abilities that specifically effect specific creature types or are obviously useful when dealing with specific creatures.