New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default So You Want to Punch Out Cthulhu

The/An immense Cosmic Horror/Abhorrent One has pierced the veil between worlds and wishes to feed upon the souls, the brains, the bodies of the huddled pathetic masses below. Its very presence ravages flesh, liquefying it into thick chunks of vomit, and warps the mind, leaving gibbering, drooling husks.

A multitude of parasites descends thickly as it shakes its prodigious bulk. Every action dislodging a seemingly infinite number, each powerful in their own right, a host of locusts desiring to rend everything to carrion, and a virulent acidic rain that burns craters and holes in buildings and flesh.

What can be done?
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: So You Want to Punch Out Cthulhu

Throw a bunch of Solar Exalted at it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Plane Shift. Yourself, that is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

No match for a core-only wizard.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Homeslice View Post
    Throw a bunch of Solar Exalted at it.
    If you need more than five Solar Exalts to kill any one thing, something has gone horribly wrong.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    If you need more than five Solar Exalts to kill any one thing, something has gone horribly wrong.
    If you need one of any kind of exalt the situation ain't peaches and cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

He did mention an infinite number of cosmic parasites in addition to Cthulu. We might want to throw the Solar's Lunar mates into the fight as well, if only to keep the distractions away from the real fight.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Step 1: Rip.

Step 2: Tear.

Repeat as needed. If subject falls under size classification A-7 (Huge) consult subsection 47-J (Huge Guts).
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Didn't someone do a test of 5 Solars vs FAFL where the solars kinda epically lost?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Overshee View Post
    Didn't someone do a test of 5 Solars vs FAFL where the solars kinda epically lost?
    That may well be! The fact that you're capable of losing is what makes the game fun. But, you're also capable of winning!
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Does FAFL have a printed statblock, though? I though the biggest enemy printed as of yet was the Mask of Winters.

Also, as TTGL would probably do a good job.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #13

Send in Murlynd, Heward, Zagyg, Celestian, Phaulkon, Keoghtom and Mordenkainen. Who knows, they just might win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Send in Murlynd, Heward, Zagyg, Celestian, Phaulkon, Keoghtom and Mordenkainen. Who knows, they just might win.
    nah, those guys are way sub-optimal.

Failing Pun-Pun, there's several ways to accomplish this:

Cindy could manage it, I'm sure, although she may have to open up a Titan Chain to do it

Any wizard build incorporating Incantatrix and Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil would also likely be up to the task, as the Violet Veil is sufficent to protect said wizard for the two rounds necessary to obliterate everything.

A properly built Hellfire Glaivelock might do it, although it would likely have to resort to Eldritch Cone for dealing with the swarms before going in for the kill. The only reason why it would have to be a Hellfire Glaivelock is Hellfire Blast bypasses all elemental immunities. Supernatural Transformation makes it a (Su) ability rather than (Sp) and thus no longer subject to SR. This bypasses any defenses the Thing might have, and thus actually do enough damage to it to destroy it.

A properly optimized Hulking Hurler could toss a moon at it and kill it

A properly optimized UberCharger could manage it, assuming he had sufficent abjurations to protect himself from the warping effects of the aura long enough to get his one round off

A properly cheesy Candle of Invocation use might be able to Balor Bomb it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

15. - Top - End - #15

Hope that I die first.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    Hope that I die first.
    Haven't you read Howard?

Death doesn't end your problems.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Just drop a boat on it.
    Has worked for Cthulhu, so it's a proven technique.

I think that the Exalted are a particular bad idea - nobody is resistant against the basic terror of the Elder Ones - namely that the universe just doesn't care and that you are utterly and completely unimportant no matter what you ever do or achieve (I know, it's a bit like strating the obvious). Now the more those who face the Elder One are convinced from the opposite, the harder they fall.
    And I really don't want to know what a bunch of mind-crushed, depressive solars would do.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Any of the tier 1 and 2 classes could do so. I know I could do it with a psion/metamind, or just a straight psion.

I could probably kill it with a level 7 wizard or so.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Haven't you read Howard?

Death doesn't end your problems.
    Sometimes it does.

This is a cold and amoral universe with no afterlife after all.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    Just drop a boat on it.
    Has worked for Cthulhu, so it's a proven technique.

I think that the Exalted are a particular bad idea - nobody is resistant against the basic terror of the Elder Ones - namely that the universe just doesn't care and that you are utterly and completely unimportant no matter what you ever do or achieve (I know, it's a bit like strating the obvious). Now the more those who face the Elder One are convinced from the opposite, the harder they fall.
    And I really don't want to know what a bunch of mind-crushed, depressive solars would do.
    So hypothetically if I went in the opposite of that and was all happy and cheerful I mean nothing I am guessing they would explode in shock or something? It's clear these here elder gods are just bored of people all acting the same.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr
    I think that the Exalted are a particular bad idea - nobody is resistant against the basic terror of the Elder Ones - namely that the universe just doesn't care and that you are utterly and completely unimportant no matter what you ever do or achieve (I know, it's a bit like strating the obvious).
    I'm sorry, I just kicked off my mental perfect defense, completely blotting the concept of not being important to the universe from my mind; what was that? Plus, Valor 5; what is fear?

Dude, the Solars were made to take on creatures like that; take Cthulhu, make him the size of continental Asia, and give him seperate free-willed organs that you can meet and hold conversations with, and that's what the Exalted were designed to fight. If there are Solar Exalted to deal with this, then all the stuff that HPL wrote about with there being no gods, no destinies, no hope, et cetera, is invalid.

Oh, and then I use Heart-Compelling Method. Now the universe does care about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amiel View Post
    What can be done?
    Get a few Warstriders, while we're at it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Plane Shift + demiplane of Temporal Stasis.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Halfling Crusader. Win initiative. Wear gauntlets.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    See, your basic assumption is that Solars give a damn. Hint: They don't. To put it in terms someone who has never played Exalted could understand: The stronger and more invincible/undefeatable/super god-like you are, the more likely Solars are to defeat you. Solars can win on the basis of narrative power. The villain is invincible? Solars find or create an achilles heel. The villain is immortal? Solars find a way to kill it. They don't win because they're strong, even though they are ridiculously strong. A Solar wins because a Solar cannot lose.

Even if you successfully defeat one Solar the story will bring yet another Solar against you. Maybe next time the Solar will have buddies. Either way, Solars are sort of like great epic heroes ala King Arthur or Beowulf. They will win at any cost. They might be killed in the process, but the Rule of Cool makes their success inevitable.

In short: Yes. A Solar(or two, or three or you might even need five) will win.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    The villain is immortal? Solars find a way to kill it.
    Or, to put it in someone else's words: "Immortal just means a Solar hasn't tried to kill it yet."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

This is pretty much a question of persepctive, which basic concept of the universe you assume - if you argue that the Exalted universe idea is the correct one, you are absolutely right, but then there are no cosmic horrors- just a bunch of extraplanar Godzillas - but that's not even close to what makes the Mythos so cruel.
    If you assume that the Lovecraftian universe is the correct basic assumption, than the universe is a cold and careless place and his acknowledgement is too big for any mind to cope with it, and the more powerful and self-assured you are, the more terrible is this revelation. It doesn't matter that Cthulhu (that tentacle-mouthed pushover) can probably devour a city. He can, but that's one of the least interesting aspect of it. The true devastating aspect is, that Mythos completely undermines and destroys anything you have loveds, or believed in. That's why people go mad when they learn too much about the Myhos - not because of the acknowledgement that there are more powerful entities out there than your school wisdom can explain, but because they. don't. care. They don't have to. The whole universe only exists in the dreams of a blind idiot god.
    it is unlikely that both concepts could coexist, so you probably have to pick one. That doesn't mean that some kind of a crossover campaign based on a compromise between both concepts wouldn't be awesome.

Cthulhu was defeated by a steamboat headbutt. His physical threat isn't that high, after all. Even in a purist Lovecraft universe, a dedicated military action can easily defeat most of the world's elder beings - take, for example the Innsmouth incident. If Cthulhu can't stand a blow to a head with a boat, just think what an artillery shell or torpedo would do (The answer is probaly Calamari, by the way).
    With modern technology, you could probably drop an H-Bomb on R'lyeh and that was it. Good Bye, Mr. Cthulhu (at least for a longer time period; it is hinted that nothing ever stays dead- That is not dead which can eternal lie,/And with strange aeons even death may die).
    The horror comes from the fact that it doesn't matter. Nothing you will ever do matters at all. And the pure existence of the Elder Ones proves this to you.

And Cthulhu? He is only a high priest of his race. He isn't the only one, but probably a very powerful one of the "Star Spawn" who in turn are so powerful that they himself are worshipped as gods by the Deep Ones. Now, when Cthulhu is ap priest, what gods does he worship?

27. - Top - End - #27

Punching out Cthulu is extremely relevant to my interests at the moment. Please, continue this discussion.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Thing about the Mythos is that there's this basic assumption that knowing how insignificant you are makes you go mad.

This is kinda demonstrably not true, what with how tiny we now know we are.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    Thing about the Mythos is that there's this basic assumption that knowing how insignificant you are makes you go mad.

This is kinda demonstrably not true, what with how tiny we now know we are.
    You KNOW you're tiny and insignificant, but you don't UNDERSTAND it. It's something you just can't grasp. You don't really know how big a million is, because you've never counted to it. You just generally know it's a big number. Same thing applies to a state. You've never really experienced just how big a state is. Same thing applies to the national, planetary, and cosmic scale.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I have been informed that Narwhals, being the jedi of the sea, are capable of stopping Cthulhu. I suggest lots and lots of Narwhals. Heck, let's roll up a Narwhal Solar for Exalted and see what happens.

Failing that, I will throw 4chan at it.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."