New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Lightsaber in D&D?

Okay, is there any item other than brilliant energy weapons that work like a lightsaber? Brilliant energy doesn't really work since it doesn't harm constructs, undead or objects.

Is there anything else that'd work? Or somethng that makes the "cannot harm undead constructs or objects" not apply?

This is for a build I'm trying to make to replicate Jedi in D&D. I'm also going to make a Sith just for the heck of it.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-02-19 at 05:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Lightsaber in D&D?

It will most certainly be a touch weapon, seeing as how only special materials or energy fields can stop it. Of course, a lot of dense materials can add a lot of resistance against the light saber. And no, Adamantine does not equal Cortosis or Phrik.
    Last edited by Volkov; 2010-02-19 at 05:48 PM.
    "No extra charge!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Are you going for the glowy bit or the "can slice through anything" bit or the "can parry energy blasts" bit?

I seem to recall when you enchant a weapon with +1, you can decide if it glows a certain color. At least that's the way my old group used to do it. A whip that glows black is awesome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Angelwing Razor does this quite nicely. *evil grin* All you need to do is have it glow red and it fits a sith perfectly. Its from the Book of Vile Darkness btw. *Maniacle laugh* Although, it is an artifact, so you may need to do some diplomancy on your dm.
    Originally Posted by gdiddy
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My Campaign Log (Apologize for Walls of Text)
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

5. - Top - End - #5

Persistent Wraithstrike + Arcane Strike + Spell Storing Weapon should do the trick.

6. - Top - End - #6

Wand of Flame Blade.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Volkov View Post
    And no, Adamantine does not equal Cortosis or Phrik.
    But it is close to beskar, the nigh-invulnerable Mandalorian Iron that's one of the other few substances that resist lightsabers.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Mostly going for the "can slice through anything" bit. Although slicing through most things and being all glowy would work well enough.

I'll look at the angel wing razor in a bit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    But it is close to beskar, the nigh-invulnerable Mandalorian Iron that's one of the other few substances that resist lightsabers.
    Those substances laugh at multigigaton shots. Adamantine is laughably weak when compared to Star Wars supersubstances.
    "No extra charge!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Well, there is the Rod of Force in the MiC that was inspired by the Lightsaber, and it's the literal descendant of the Wand of Force from the old 1e Unearthed Arcana.

Or you could just use the stats for the Lightsaber in the Star Wars D20 game (or Saga edition if you're playing 4e), and refluff it to say that it's magic or psionics that's powering it.

11. - Top - End - #11

RogueGuy

There's a 3rd level cleric spell in some Forgotten Realms handbook (don't remember), called "Moonlight saber" or something like that. It allows you to wield a scimitar made of light to deliver touch attacks with some bonus damage to all enemies and objetcts.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The Sun blade deals damage as a bastard sword, but is as light as a short sword. It's not Brilliant Energy.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thalnawr View Post
    Well, there is the Rod of Force in the MiC that was inspired by the Lightsaber, and it's the literal descendant of the Wand of Force from the old 1e Unearthed Arcana.

Or you could just use the stats for the Lightsaber in the Star Wars D20 game (or Saga edition if you're playing 4e), and refluff it to say that it's magic or psionics that's powering it.
    Or you could go the cheap way and say you got it from a crashed ship.
    "No extra charge!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The OT clearly establishes that lightsabers do not cut through everything (watch luke bounce his saber off of railings, and, more importantly, vaders shoulder).

So, it doesn't need to be super utlra powerful

15. - Top - End - #15

That's why Wraithstrike is the way to go. It only cuts through nearly everything

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    The OT clearly establishes that lightsabers do not cut through everything (watch luke bounce his saber off of railings, and, more importantly, vaders shoulder).

The Star Wars d20 rules replicate this quite nicely, since any actual cutting through something is generally a critical hit since it is the basis for the Vitality and Wound poitns system in the SRD. And in the case of objects, like the railing, the damage wasn't more than the object's hit points.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post

Saga justs has Lightstabers ignore all DR (except for that Force DR ability) that cost a Force point.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thalnawr View Post

Actually, I think that psionics would be the closest thing you could get to Force powers, so a psionic weapon could work.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

19. - Top - End - #19

Black Blade of Disaster, Spell Compendium.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I don't see a Lightsaber. I see a psionic spirit blade."

I feel like if you gave it some sort of insanely powerful sundering power, and fluffed it as cutting right through...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Reflavored adamantine longsword or bastard sword?
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Somewhere, in a book that used the cover of I think the Arms and Equipment Guide (whichever one was gray) in the back there was a weapon called the "no-sword". The idea was that it's essentially so thin and sharp you can't even see it past the handle, but it cuts through virtually anything (costs a lot if I remember).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Wand of Flame Blade.
    This. I read about a villain in some module who had one and the first thing that sprang to mind was "OMG SHE HAS A LIGHTSABER."
    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Causing Hideous laughter is an Extraordinary ability of 20th level monks.

At least, it should be.
    Proud Supporter of Vorpal Tribble's Monster Competition

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

can't seem to find black blade of disaster. Could you at least narrow it to a specific spell list?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

What's that on PrC in complete arcane. It's like something blade of heronious or whatever the god of paladins are.

There's also kensai. I only point those out because they are lawful classes that would let you get a cool possibly sword like weapon weapon that you may choose to have act like a lightsaber.

26. - Top - End - #26

SolithKnightGuy

soulknife to kensai? don't know if it works and you'd probably suck anyway, but .... cool concept.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Okay, is there any item other than brilliant energy weapons that work like a lightsaber? Brilliant energy doesn't really work since it doesn't harm constructs, undead or objects.

Is there anything else that'd work? Or somethng that makes the "cannot harm undead constructs or objects" not apply?

This is for a build I'm trying to make to replicate Jedi in D&D. I'm also going to make a Sith just for the heck of it.
    No.

Besides, what's the difference between a sword and a lightsaber other than the setting?

Besides, lightsabers would cut through actual swords and shields, so it's not like swordsmanship is involved when you can just slice through an opponent's defenses so easily.

The lightsaber is a sword, in terms of its purpose in the plot. It can just be a ridiculously powerful weapon, but that's missing the point, I think.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2010-02-20 at 02:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

DwarfClericGuy

A forgotten realms spell called Force Lance. Granted its a 12' force weapon but it does the job as a lightsaber. Oh and it doesnt have to be 12' long. Just make a wand of force lance. And its a touch attack. Its pritty bad ass.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    Are you going for the glowy bit or the "can slice through anything" bit or the "can parry energy blasts" bit?

I seem to recall when you enchant a weapon with +1, you can decide if it glows a certain color. At least that's the way my old group used to do it. A whip that glows black is awesome.
    20% chance it glows as if it had the "light" spell on it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    No.

Besides, what's the difference between a sword and a lightsaber other than the setting?
    I want to use one and not the other?