New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.5 or 4?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default 3.5 or 4?

Well my friends have had a group going with my friends' siblings for a while now, and they have a 3.5 group going. My friends decided to break off and them and I are going to get our group going. I am DMing and I was wondering whether we should invest in new books for 4e in order to stay with the trend, or just stick with 3.5 and maybe wait till there is more for 4e? Thanks! I am quite uneducated on this so some good details would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Pokachi; 2010-02-26 at 07:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: 3.5 or 4?

Well first off, there's already more than enough for 4e to have fun and play lots of games. If you're not sure, then come up with $9.99 (or whatever the DDI cost is now), get a one month subscription to DDI, fully update your character builder, download the adventure tools, and you're set with everything modern for 4e at your fingertips. The monster builder will give you quick access to the stats of any monster you need and charbuilder will have every book loaded in with errata.

Ultimately, just play what you want to play. There's enough in 4e to have fun, and for $10 you'll have effective access to all the crunchy parts of 4e.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

What trend? You might have noticed that most people here play 3.5.

Anyway the two are quite different, and it really is a matter of preference. 3.5 is more detailed, sometimes to the point of pain and confusion, and provides a lot more options. 4e is simpler but provides less variation and less verisimilitude. While it still retains a lot of the RPG aspects and you won't be short on conversations with the NPCs, 4e is more "gamey" than 3.5. Like a board game, card game or video game. That comes with advantages and disadvantage.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-02-26 at 07:12 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If you want something that feels a little more real...go with 3.5e.

If you want over the top awesome action and adventure (I would compare it to the feeling I get when watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann), go with 4e.

If you want something easy to improve but long prep time, 3.5e.

If you want easy prep time and don't plan to improve much, 4e.

It all depends on you and your players.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by drawingfreak View Post
    If you want something that feels a little more real...go with 3.5e.

If you want over the top awesome action and adventure (I would compare it to the feeling I get when watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann), go with 4e.

If you want something easy to improve but long prep time, 3.5e.

If you want easy prep time and don't plan to improve much, 4e.

It all depends on you and your players.
    Those are odd sentiments to say the least. The only thing I get out of that as actually being relevant is that 4e is easier to prep for as a DM, which it is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

well, for a one-time investment of 10$ you can get one month of DDi. it's a downloaded directly on your so it stays even after the month is over. i contains all the crunch of 4th ed up until now. you also get full access to the back issues of dungeon, dragon, ect... for 10$ you really can't go wrong.

now, if you want a free test drive, check my sig for free stuff. there's a demo version of the builder, a few modules & some pre-mades.

personally i'm a 4th ed guy, so i'm biased. i got tired of a lot of the stuff like linear fighters/quadratic wizards, high level caster shenanigans, or subsystems that popped up only occasionally and slowed the game to a halt. i'll still play 3rd, but never again DM it unless i had no other choice for a game.

4th ed streamlined the system while keeping more then enough variety in play to keep me happy & occupied and still feels quite like the D&D i grew up and fell in love with 12-13 years ago

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pokachi View Post
    I am DMing and I was wondering whether we should invest in new books for 4e in order to stay with the trend, or just stick with 3.5 and maybe wait till there is more for 4e?
    If you have cash and/or need books, then go ahead and get 4e if you like the edition. There's plenty of material out already, far more than you could reasonably expect to use in a single campaign.

If you've never played 4e before, it's different from 3.5, so download the Quick Start stuff so you can try before you buy. In the end, pick the one you like, and don't troll people who like the other edition(s).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

thank you, I prefer more roleplaying the hack n slash, so from what you said I would guess that is more 3.5e? Price isn't really an issue because either way we will be buying new books, because the already purchased books are being used by the old group still, same night. 4.0e obviously I would assume has many more resources being published now, but 3.5e has more pre-existing ones? More info is always nice =P

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you already have an active group, why spend more money just to tweak the rules?

edit:
    Um, 3.5 hacks and slashes just as hard as 4e. It's completely group-reliant either way.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-02-26 at 07:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

thank you, I prefer more roleplaying the hack n slash, so from what you said I would guess that is more 3.5e? Price isn't really an issue because either way we will be buying new books, because the already purchased books are being used by the old group still, same night. 4.0e obviously I would assume has many more resources being published now, but 3.5e has more pre-existing ones? More info is always nice =P
    Roleplaying is not system specific...

Yes, 3.X has more splatbooks currently. This is neither a plus nor a minus unless you plan on purchasing every single one of them.

In terms of starting fresh with full material, 4e has the much simpler and much easier to reference DDI subscription which will give you a permanently updated character builder and adventure tools as of the month you buy the subscription.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2010-02-26 at 07:23 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

You can hack and slash just as much in 3.5, and many groups do, or you can disarm the guy or you can distract him with an illusion of a giant talking stuffed bunny. Or etc. Or grapple, which people love and hate. Point is you have a lot more options in 3.5e, which can be a blessing or a curse. Pick the edition that best fits your style.

As for roleplaying, you can roleplay in either edition. Some special abilities in 4e break verisimilitude a little more than other fantasy games, but most groups don't roleplay at the same time as these. If all you do is chit chat with NPCs for your roleplay then there'll be absolutely no difference.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-02-26 at 07:28 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thanks! I will discuss it more with my friend tonight, but I am well enough educated. I shall talk to you all latez

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

i would say 4th ed is far more RP friendly, but then again RP is edition neutral. i can RP without a system.

verisimilitude is in the central eye of the beholder also. either way you're going to be suspending disbelief: whether you're playing 3.5 or 4th ed, D&D is the game where the elven princess battles the tentacle poop monster with magical rainbows while riding a unicorn. neither one is more realistic then the other, 3rd ed just has more corner case rules in place while 4th ed says to wing it.
    Last edited by oxybe; 2010-02-26 at 07:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I've been inspired.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    I've been inspired.

Spoiler
    Show

and have I

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been inspired.

Spoiler
    Show
    You sir, win an internet.

Congrats.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been inspired.

Spoiler
    Show
    F*** YEAH! ANKYLOSAUR!

because the ankylosaur is the dwarf of the dinosaurs. short, squat, plated & wields a big old hammer.

and dwarves are naturally awesome.

i second the win of an internet. motion carried.
    Last edited by oxybe; 2010-02-26 at 07:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Every time somebody uses the word "verisimilitude" or "realism" to describe an RPG game, God kills a kitten.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, my first internet. What should I do with it?

Apparently I need to actually make the things I think of more often.
    ...Unless she's cute.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

that has potential for an image macro. cute kid doing things cute kids do + 2 opposing sides colliding (ignoring that they are both plant eaters) in a thunderous debate = potential macro.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-02-26 at 10:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget that all internets come with a complimentary cookie, soda, and pack of pretzels.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    that has potential for an image macro. cute kid doing things cute kids do + 2 opposing sides colliding (ignoring that they are both plant eaters) in a thunderous debate = potential macro.
    I dont even know what I'd do if something I made started getting posted by others. Thatd be cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    Don't forget that all internets come with a complimentary cookie, soda, and pack of pretzels.
    Oh yay! Google + paint + 10 seconds = so much win!
    Last edited by Koury; 2010-02-26 at 08:00 PM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    {Scrubbed}
    Please, please tell me you are just poking fun.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-02-26 at 10:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drawingfreak View Post
    If you want over the top awesome action and adventure, go with Exalted.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    Please, please tell me you are just poking fun.
    No. 4th edition is too weird for me.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    Every time somebody uses the word "verisimilitude" or "realism" to describe an RPG game, God kills a kitten.
    may I sig?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

N.B. after your 1 month of DDI ($9.99) you'll probably want to buy a PHB I and DMG, since you can't (IIRC) download the Rules Compendium. But I'm sure you can probably pick up Dr.Epic's books real cheap
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm a fan of 4e for a few reasons, all a matter of taste and necessity relating to me.

1) 4e is easier to prep. By the same tokens, since I play with my two kids in the group and my gf, who is a newbie to rpgs as well, 4e is simpler for them to understand.

2) I am not so into all the number crunching that seems to be needed for 3.5.

3) Being older and nearsighted, I find some of the 3.5 books I've tried to read are difficult to see, due to the overly arty layout. In other words, when the print is one shade off of the page color, I usually can't read it, even with glasses on. I like the layout on the 4e books a lot better. Again, a matter of personal taste and necessity...

4) I like the magic system better in 4e, mostly that a lot of what used to be spells are now rituals, which makes sense to me.
    "Remember that foul evening, when you heard the banshees howl, and lazy, drunken bastards singing 'Penny in the Bowl.' They took you up to midnight mass and left you in the lurch, so you put a button in the plate and spewed up in the church."
    -The Pogues, "Sickbed of Cuchulainn"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    No. 4th edition is too weird for me.
    And you say a game where this:

Is in the core monster book is any less weird? Believe me, I love 3.5 and don't like 4E much either, but 3.5 is weird as hell.
    Resident Vancian Apologist