New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Carrying Capacity

Aside from boosting strength, is there another way to increase carrying capacity, or reduce the weight of armor? My 8 strength can hardly handle a chain shirt, and there is no mithril in the setting.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Carrying Capacity

Play smaller character / reduce person.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-02-28 at 08:57 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Doesn't the carrying capacity increase with larger creatures even if the strength is the same?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

What you want is the Easy Travel enhancement to your armor. Lets you treat a medium load as a light load. Only costs 1500 gp. Found in the Magic Item Compendium.

There's also the Belt of the Wide Earth, which flat out doubles your carrying capacity (all categories), but that's a more expensive option (8000 gp).
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Doesn't the carrying capacity increase with larger creatures even if the strength is the same?
    Yes, but so does the weight of the armour.

A large creature has carrying capacity double that of a medium creature, but armour, weapons and other stuff that scales by size is now twice as heavy too.

On the other hand, a small creature has carrying capacity 3/4 of that of a medium one, but the weight of armour etc. is halved.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Darkwood is the mithral of wood, and it's much cheaper at only 10 gp per pound of original weight (20 gp per pound of halved weight). Except the item must be masterwork, so that may add a little more to the price. Like mithral it lessens the armor check penalty by 2 (1 more than masterwork), but unlike mithral it has no effect on spell failure. Get it for all your wooden items. If you have a party druid he can cast ironwood on some wooden replacements for metal armor. You just need an NPC to craft the specialty armor once, and the party druid to keep recasting ironwood every few days.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-02-28 at 09:46 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quadrapeds can also carry something like two times the weight of their biped counterparts.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Apropos View Post
    Quadrapeds can also carry something like two times the weight of their biped counterparts.
    1.5 times or so. Carrying capacity is here.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, it won't really help with the armor issue, but the Handy Haversack is beyond awesome for characters with a low carrying capacity.
    Thank you to Logalmier for the avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    dip a level of Dread Necromancer for Charnel Touch, then Grease yourself, and sneak attack yourself with the Touch.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by yilduz View Post
    Well, it won't really help with the armor issue, but the Handy Haversack is beyond awesome for characters with a low carrying capacity.
    Easy Travel plus Handy Haversack = problem solved for 3500 gp.

At low levels -- hmm ...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Dungeon Master's Guide II 274 has the Feycraft and Githcraft templates for 10% less weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

12. - Top - End - #12

Hirelings!

A character of mine in a pretty low wealth campaign wanted all sorts of things to carry with him and I couldn't trust that we'd always have horses, mules or wagons at hand but a hireling just costs a single gold piece every 5 days and unlike a HHH you can make him pour the wine and set up the tent you hired him to carry.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Belt of the Wide Earth. From SpC, part of the Rainment of Four. Doubles carrying capacity. IIRC, it was only like 4k, and has other uses as well.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Apropos View Post
    Quadrapeds
    That's...so wrong.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #15

DruidGuy

It might be useful to note that the penalties for medium or heavy loads and the penalties for wearing medium or heavy armor DO NOT stack. You use the worse of the two. So if you're wearing medium armor you may as well be carrying a medium load, too, it wont make much of a difference.
    Last edited by Moriato; 2010-03-01 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?