New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Gold in Architecture Argument

A friend and I are in an argument regarding a roleplay I'm planning. I suggested a lost city of gold of the PCs to find. The player suggested the city be literally made entirely out of gold.

I contend that this is physically impossible for two reasons. One, there's no way you could mine enough gold to build an entire city. I don't know how much gold is in Fort Knox, but I'm willing to bet there isn't enough in there to even build a house out of it. Secondly, Gold is a lot denser than stone. Even if the civilization dispenses with wooden supports (doubtful, because cities of gold are invariably Mesoamerican), the sheer heaviness of gold would cause even arches and flying buttresses to buckle.

The player argues that anything is possible in a world that's got sea-monsters, working hoodoo magic and ghost ships, so having a city constructed entirely of gold should be too.

I contend that it's just not physically, chemicall, architecturally and ultimately scientifically sound.

Could someone more scientific minded provide evidence for or against this? I'd like to end this argument quickly. Thank you.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gold in Architecture Argument

Gold Laced with Magic.

Listen to them. It is a magicky world, is it not?

Strengthened Gold.

Applied Phlebotinum.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I'm saying do it. Doesn't have to be literally built from gold, but that doesn't stop it looking like it has. Guild/leaf that city, fo'shizzle!

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Gold Laced with Magic.

Listen to them. It is a magicky world, is it not?

Strengthened Gold.

Applied Phlebotinum.
    I'm trying to minimize the magic though. If I put too much in, it will ruin the mood I'm trying to set, which is a low-magic world much like Pirates of the Caribbean, where magic operates on a specific set of rules and only one or two people know how to use it. And they are NOT the PCs' friends.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

They probably just want to kill everybody and then make off with as much of the city as possible.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    I'm saying do it. Doesn't have to be literally built from gold, but that doesn't stop it looking like it has. Guild/leaf that city, fo'shizzle!
    That I wouldn't have a problem with. But the player seems to think it would be cool if everything in the city was built from pure gold bricks or something.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    The player argues that anything is possible in a world that's got sea-monsters, working hoodoo magic and ghost ships, so having a city constructed entirely of gold should be too.

I contend that it's just not physically, chemicall, architecturally and ultimately scientifically sound.
    In the real world, you're probably right, but until you can tell me how a giant bird, weighing 35 times as much as a pterosaur, flying with a wingspan just twice as long, is physically sound, I have to side with your friend.

MAGIC!

edit: wait, you're the GM, and your player is telling you how to run your campaign? Give him his city of pure gold, then when he steps foot in it, drop one of the bricks on his head. Problem solved.
    Last edited by blunk; 2010-03-02 at 12:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggybinder View Post
    Try making a choice on a brisk walk or jog a good empty stomach early the actual planet morning if possible. Go to your local Wal-Mart and pick up a sauna suit shed more calories, and a pedometer observe how many calories you burn once a day.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Much better to have something structurally stable that's gilt. After all, city walls made of gold are... a logistical monstrosity with how thick they'd have to be in order to make up for their softness.

Or possibly an alloy of gold. Since historically most gold was alloyed with silver in coinage, so some kind of goldsteel wouldn't be too farfetched and would satisfy the less magic involved in its fabrication stipulation.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-03-02 at 12:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I contend that this is physically impossible for two reasons. One, there's no way you could mine enough gold to build an entire city. I don't know how much gold is in Fort Knox, but I'm willing to bet there isn't enough in there to even build a house out of it.
    Well, its your world. You can set the relative abundance of gold to be whatever you want. If you want there to be enough gold to build an entire city, there will be enough gold to build an entire city.

Plus you know, polymorph any object.

Secondly, Gold is a lot denser than stone. Even if the civilization dispenses with wooden supports (doubtful, because cities of gold are invariably Mesoamerican), the sheer heaviness of gold would cause even arches and flying buttresses to buckle.
    Well, what is the technological level of your city? Low tech civs can have a city consisting entirely of 1 or 2-level dwellings, which could be made entirely out of gold without needing support. And this is in fact how much of humanity lived until recently.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gold structure city? Not without magicked gold. It's just way too soft and dense otherwise, even if you had an arbitrarily large amount of gold. It's only slightly less ridiculous than a city made entirely out of lead. Compared to even a weak wood, that's roughly the range we're talking about. The people would probably be just as well off making the city out of dirt.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Well, its your world. You can set the relative abundance of gold to be whatever you want. If you want there to be enough gold to build an entire city, there will be enough gold to build an entire city.

Plus you know, polymorph any object.
    This game is freeform, so polymorph any object isn't an option. Besides, as I said I want magic to be rare, rare enough that when it does get used it makes the character's jaws drop and they yell "HOLY ****!!!"
    Well, what is the technological level of your city? Low tech civs can have a city consisting entirely of 1 or 2-level dwellings, which could be made entirely out of gold without needing support. And this is in fact how much of humanity lived until recently.
    Basically the city would be Mayincatec

12. - Top - End - #12
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I think it would be fun and interesting to have everyone believe that it's made of pure gold, but have it actually be regular bricks covered in goldleaf. People tear down buildings and lug off these bricks thinking they've stolen a fortune, when in reality there's less actually gold on each brick than would be in a coin. But then, I'm mean that way.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Catgirls just died. That is all.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    I think it would be fun and interesting to have everyone believe that it's made of pure gold, but have it actually be regular bricks covered in goldleaf. People tear down buildings and lug off these bricks thinking they've stolen a fortune, when in reality there's less actually gold on each brick than would be in a coin. But then, I'm mean that way.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking.

A theme that seems to be emerging as I plan this game is of legends growing in the telling.

The legend of El Dorado itself had such a start. It was originally a legend of a king who doused himself in some sticky substance, then rolled in gold dust, and then jumped into the nearby lake to signify the beginning of some ritual feast or something. This later got changed to the king being so rich he literally washed in gold, and then eventually the king disappeared and the gold was attributed with his city.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Combining some of the above: Concede to your player. Tell him he's absolutely right, there should be a city made of gold! Then just make the whole place gold-plated. Or maybe even fools' gold! Or metaphorical gold: the city is made of some sort of material that shines like gold in the sunlight.

Alternatively, in a world where there's enough gold to build a city, it won't be
    worth very much.
    "Cool, I got 400lb of gold from that city!"
    "Okay... Would you like a llama or a keg of beer for that gold?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Y'know, if trying to make a world where magic is rare and awe-inspiring, a city made of gold could help reinforce that if used properly.
    'Specially if the gold is cursed, haunted by the murdered inhabitants of the city.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The player and I have patched things up. The city will only be guilded. She's already got aliens in her character's backstory. I'm not going to let the player abuse her reality warping privileges.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

what if its gold-thats a special variety of gold thats just really light.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    They probably just want to kill everybody and then make off with as much of the city as possible.
    This was my first thought. Make a city entirely out of gold and your players say "screw going to the tavern, I'm just taking a pick to this outhouse and carting it home!"
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Gives me an excuse to dredge up one of my favorite factoids: All of the gold ever mined in the history of the Earth would make up a cube about 60ft on a side.

When I looked this up to double check my memory, I discovered that there's even less platinum that has been refined; the cube would be about 20ft per side.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 742 View Post
    what if its gold-thats a special variety of gold thats just really light.
    Ack! You hurt my brain! Stoppit!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Gold is soft. The buildings would deform rapidly under their own wight.

Have the city be a wretched hive of slummy villainy where all the buildings are horribly deformed or melted and gold is worth less than cement or cinderblocks.

That would teach the players to be careful what they wish for.
    Last edited by Stormthorn; 2010-03-03 at 01:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Ormolu and vermeil.

Or you could have the city build of traditional stone, and then plated with gold. Looks impressive, stands up under its own weight, and reduces the risk of the party hauling off entire buildings.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Uhhhhhh, excuse me, but that bum who created Itchy and Scratchy bought a solid gold house after his lawsuit against Roger Meyers, Jr.

So it's obviously possible.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem with a city made entirely of gold, really, is wealth by level... If it's made of gold, it's loot.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The problem with a city made entirely of gold, really, is wealth by level... If it's made of gold, it's loot.
    Not if it's all one piece. You're not stealing a house.

I vote for an illusion instead of gold leaf. Or maybe you could include some gold leaf too as a red herring.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Not if it's all one piece. You're not stealing a house.

I vote for an illusion instead of gold leaf. Or maybe you could include some gold leaf too as a red herring.
    power attack and/or shape metal combined with bags of holding, portable holes, and/or teleport make moving just about anything a laughably simple affair.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    power attack and/or shape metal combined with bags of holding, portable holes, and/or teleport make moving just about anything a laughably simple affair.
    Again, this is a freeform, low-magic pirate RP. I'm not using D&D rules, and even if I was, the PCs wouldn't have magic spells or items to do this sort of thing,

And besides that, I'm opting for the "gilded city" route, decorated in gold instead of built out of it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Just wanted to point out that Ottawa, Canada, is a larger repository of gold than Fort Knox.

Also, just have a large portion of the city be covered in gold foil, as others have said.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I just said the city was covered in gold foil!