New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Shapeshifter Feat [PEACH][D&D 3.5]

Manifest Extraordinary Ability

Your mastery over your own form allows you to manifest benefits from your base form into your alternate form.

Prerequisites: Alternate Form special ability
    Benefit: Choose an extraordinary ability or natural attack that is usable in your base form. When in a form other than your base form, you can manifest the body parts necessary to utilize that ability in any form you take when using your alternate form ability. This can include movement speeds, natural attacks, natural armor, and other natural abilities usable in the base form. Natural weapon damage, save DC's, and other things determined by a creature's size are determined by the size and physical ability scores of the alternate form, not the base form. The ability manifests physically, and therefore ruins any attempt at disguising oneself as a member of the alternate form. This ability can not be taken or applied to supernatural abilities or attacks such as breath weapons and gaze attacks.

This feat may be taken more than once, each time you do it applies to a new ability

-0-
    an example of this feat in use would be lets say an Aranea who wanted to manifest his Web(Ex) while in humanoid form.

One of my own little homebrew attempts. Please point out any flaws or things that just don't make sense; or if its just a dumb idea.
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-04-30 at 03:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shapeshifter Feat [PEACH][D&D 3.5]

Makes sense to me.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

So its alright then? 70 views, 1 reply; I guess that means that there is nothing wrong with it balance-wise, mechanically, or conceptually? I'm gonna present it to my DM then.

Unless Lix Lorn was being sarcastic. I can never interpret connotation correctly through text.
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-04-28 at 09:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

It doesn't seem bad to me, honestly.

IT'S AWFUL! WORST HOMEBREW EVARRRRRRRR1!!!111!!!

[/sarcasm]
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-04-28 at 09:58 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    Unless Lix Lorn was being sarcastic. I can never interpret connotation correctly through text.
    Lix is a bit of an ego stroker. Generally assume that the more complimentary version is intended.

Anyway, I agree that this seems useful and makes sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sereg View Post
    Lix is a bit of an ego stroker. Generally assume that the more complimentary version is intended.

Anyway, I agree that this seems useful and makes sense.
    If I'm being sarcastic, there will be a or a smiley. XD I was serious.
    ...should I be offended at being called an ego stroker?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    ...should I be offended at being called an ego stroker?
    No. I consider it a neutral trait that is useful in certain situations.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I am going to obtain a dog, perhaps of the German Shepherd variety. I shall name him Ego. Thus, I shall become an Ego stroker. With a big Ego.

On topic, the feat looks pretty cool. Means a dragon can make use of his alternate form and still set fire to those who offend him.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And two out of three leading anthropomorphic personifications of death agree on the matter.
    Happy to be PMed for rants about stuff, lousy jokes, challenges to a duel because I impugned your honour in that restaurant last night. Look, how was I supposed to know it'd fly that far?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I would throw in a note about how some uses of the feat will ruin alternate forms for disguise purposes (thus I would make it optional at the time of transformation).

Put in the usual boiler plate about "You may take this feat more than once, each time you do it applies to a new ability."

I would also explicitly state that any size-based factors (breath-weapon cone size, base damage die, etc) are based on the CURRENT size, not the normal size associated with the special ability. Stating that physical stat-based things (especially strength based stuff) works similarly might be good, but I am less sure about that.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-04-30 at 09:33 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insanealien View Post
    I am going to obtain a dog, perhaps of the German Shepherd variety. I shall name him Ego. Thus, I shall become an Ego stroker. With a big Ego.

On topic, the feat looks pretty cool. Means a dragon can make use of his alternate form and still set fire to those who offend him.
    Actually it specifically states that it cannot be used to manifest breath weapons as those are supernatural, not extraordinary.

sorry
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-04-30 at 03:46 PM.