New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default quick question regarding obscure feats (3.x)

Like from dragon magazine. IIRC there are feats for using almost any stat you want (like int) for +hit or +dmg on attacks but I forget for sure. I'm homebrewing a gish type class based off either int or wis and I'm debating if for instance his mental stat should give both +hit and +dmg in melee (instead of strength), or just say +dmg, and make the character take weapon finesse and up dex to use for +hit.

Make sense? So I'm asking what those obscure feats that let you use mental stats for attacks give, if its both hit and dmg or just one or the other?

Or should I just say screw it and making it a single stat class?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: quick question regarding obscure feats (3.x)

Search for the X stat to Y bonus thread...it's around here somewhere, and has an exaustive list of all such feats, and it's quite handy.

3. - Top - End - #3

Thanks. Yup, looks like there is precedence for both +hit and +dmg. Now the question for myself is should I provide such for free, at lvl 1, as a class feature? Hmmm.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Really need more info about the class before I can provide advice. I'd suggest popping up a full list of whatcha got, and what sort of theme you're building to. That way, you can pick up some advice regarding balance or style.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    Thanks. Yup, looks like there is precedence for both +hit and +dmg. Now the question for myself is should I provide such for free, at lvl 1, as a class feature? Hmmm.
    Do you want it to be an autolevel taken by every possible arcane gish?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Really need more info about the class before I can provide advice. I'd suggest popping up a full list of whatcha got, and what sort of theme you're building to. That way, you can pick up some advice regarding balance or style.
    Ideally, in the Homebrew forum, which has a very healthy and actively helpful community that can give you a good hand on such things.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

And I suggest making a thread of it on the homebrew forums.

[Edit]: Yarr, bloody ninjas.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-03-04 at 02:18 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Do you want it to be an autolevel taken by every possible arcane gish?
    If he's based on wisdom, that should take care of that, I think?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    And I suggest making a thread of it on the homebrew forums.

[Edit]: Yarr, bloody ninjas.
    Vivisectors, we've got Swift Invisibility and use it well.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    If he's based on wisdom, that should take care of that, I think?
    Cleric Gish incoming?

Yes, homebrewing would likely be more appropriate for delving into the class itself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Cleric Gish incoming?

Yes, homebrewing would likely be more appropriate for delving into the class itself.
    He mentioned it'd be arcane, so, no.

It doesn't sound hyper-useful honestly, though my recently posted Spellweaver base class would love it (though, they already get Wis to atk/dmg at level 1).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Wisdom would be odd as arcanists are typically Int/Cha based. Whereas divine casters and such are Wis/Cha based. So there's precedent for Cha in an arcanist gish class, but not really much for Wis, other than pretending for balance.

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    It doesn't sound hyper-useful honestly, though my recently posted Spellweaver base class would love it (though, they already get Wis to atk/dmg at level 1).
    Maybe not hyperuseful, but most gish builds involve a level or two in a martial class, and if that martial class reroutes your attack stat to your highest stat, well so much the better. It's not like you weren't taking those levels anyway.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2010-03-04 at 02:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

He mentioned it'd be arcane, so, no.
    Like the arcane/divine line can't be crossed. =) I'll admit, it would be a wild build, but Im convinced that you could make a wisdom based arcane gish.

However, it would probably be reasonably balanced. The idea of a Mystic Theurge gish crossed my mind, but while interesting, it probably wouldn't be particularily powerful. Too many directions to get proper focus in any of them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe not hyperuseful, but most gish builds involve a level or two in a martial class, and if that martial class reroutes your attack stat to your highest stat, well so much the better. It's not like you weren't taking those levels anyway.
    True, but I don't know any martial class that reroutes your key combat stat to Wisdom. At least, none that would mesh well with an arcane gish build.

I mean, sure, you can brew up an arcane Wis-based caster (I just did after all), but as the game stands, I'm not sure anything would really benefit. Now, a bonus of Wis to atk/dmg could be a nice bonus, but since no arcane gish is gonna have Wis as a key stat, I'm not sure how super-useful it'd be.

EDIT: Yeah, that's possible, but I don't know any way to do it successfully really. It'd be fun to see though.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-03-04 at 02:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

True, but I don't know any martial class that reroutes your key combat stat to Wisdom. At least, none that would mesh well with an arcane gish build.

I mean, sure, you can brew up an arcane Wis-based caster (I just did after all), but as the game stands, I'm not sure anything would really benefit. Now, a bonus of Wis to atk/dmg could be a nice bonus, but since no arcane gish is gonna have Wis as a key stat, I'm not sure how super-useful it'd be.

EDIT: Yeah, that's possible, but I don't know any way to do it successfully really. It'd be fun to see though.
    Well as I said, there's no precedent in making it Wis based. Yes, you could, given that it is homebrew, but the pre-existing arcane gishes, Duskblade and Hexblade, still follow the typical pattern for arcanists.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Well as I said, there's no precedent in making it Wis based. Yes, you could, given that it is homebrew, but the pre-existing arcane gishes, Duskblade and Hexblade, still follow the typical pattern for arcanists.
    Basically just agreed dude.

I do like the idea that Wis-based arcane casters can exist. I mean, "warrior-philosopher" is pretty sweet as a character concept after all.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Swordsage caster variant? Possibly? I mean, it's a variant, and it'd be horribly broken regardless, so it probably wouldn't be played in any case, but hey...

Oooh, googling turned up the Dark Hunter. Admittedly, not an amazing class, but one that you could make a decent gish out of, with wis based arcane casting. Nearly full BaB too, so with wis to hit, you could design a very accurate build.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Cleric Gish incoming?

Don't most non-Cloistered Clerics kinda fit that regardless?
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.