New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default two questions about full attacks

1. Using a full attack would you attack with all your natural weapons? so, say you're using a Dragon. Would you attack with your bite, both claws, your wings and your tail?
    2. Does Multi-attack take away the penalties from full attacking?

I can't find an answer to either of these in the SRD. Yes I already looked under full-attack.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-03-05 at 01:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: two questionz about full attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    1. Using a full attack would you attack with all your natural weapons? so, say you're using a Dragon. Would you attack with your bite, both claws, your wings and your tail?
    2. Does Multi-attack take away the penalties from full attacking?

I can't find an answer to either of these in the SRD. Yes I already looked under full-attack.
    1) Yes.
    2) Not quite. It does reduce secondary natural attacks to -2, instead of -5.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: two questions about full attacks

Okay thanks.

Is there a way to get fewer penalties from Full attacking by chance?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-03-05 at 01:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Okay thanks.

Is there a way to get fewer penalties from Full attacking by chance?
    -2 is about as good as you can get. If you like, you can work on obtaining bonuses. A Bull's Strength will offset the -2 from secondary attacks, give a +2 to the primary, and provide +2 damage to all attacks.

But you don't get much better than multiattack/multiweapon fighting for attack reduction.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Improved Multiattack removes the -2 even IIRC.
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by KellKheraptis View Post
    Isn't that epic?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KellKheraptis View Post
    This is correct.

On the off chance you didn't see it, you don't make iteratives with natural attacks. A dragon with 20 BAB doesn't get 4 attacks with each natural weapon; it uses each instance of a natural weapon once. So 2 claw attacks, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    Isn't that epic?
    Nope; it's non-epic.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-03-05 at 01:31 AM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

So building a Dragon to Attack with all its natural weapons is pretty much pointless in other words?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

And their BAB doesn't go down by -5 for each one like with iteratives.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    And their BAB doesn't go down by -5 for each one like with iteratives.
    So, a Dragon with a BAB of 20 gets five attacks all at +20?(this is before modifiers of course)

11. - Top - End - #11

So building a Dragon to Attack with all its natural weapons is pretty much pointless in other words?
    Hardly. Dragons at higher levels have BAB to spare, hitting upwards of +30 and 40.

A Power attack for 10, with improved multiattack, and you're still rocking a Melee attack bonus high enough to hit most members of most parties on a 2, and are doing very respectable damage.

Add in spell buffs, and I've had great wyrms with only 1 combat buff doing around 150-170 damage on an attack.

Gets worse with Wraithstrike, when you can power attack for 20. Add in fog and blindsense, or natural darkness and the same, and you can go against flat-footed touch AC, pretty much guaranteeing hits for good damage. Yes, you'll have a miss chance, but if a dragon likes darkness and fog, he'll likely have blindfighting.

So, a Dragon with a BAB of 20 gets five attacks all at +20?(this is before modifiers of course)
    If he has improved multiattack, yes. If he has multiattack, he gets one at +20, and 4 at +18 (add in str, and subtract size, of course).

Now, if a dragon has +20 to hit, he may get a tail attack, making it 6 attacks. This is based on dragon size.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-03-05 at 01:44 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

No. He gets one primary attack at +20 (the bite) and four secondary attacks at +15 (2 claws and 2 wings).
    Last edited by Grumman; 2010-03-05 at 01:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

If the Dragon has Improved Unarmed Strike he can make iterative attacks based on BAB 0/-5/-10/-15 then make all natural attacks at -5 and with 1/2*Str. Multiattack will less all of the natural attacks to a -2. He takes no penalties on his iteratives.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still kind of confused.....

So a Dragon hits with all its natural weapons on a full attack regardless of BAB but the amount of attacks doesn't increase with BAB?

I'm asking because I kind of want to play one with these rules here. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=108

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

So a Dragon hits with all its natural weapons on a full attack regardless of BAB but the amount of attacks doesn't increase with BAB?
    YES.

Natural attacks don't care about BAB except for... attack bonus.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FishAreWet View Post
    YES.

Natural attacks don't care about BAB except for... attack bonus.
    Okay. Just making sure.

17. - Top - End - #17

If the Dragon has Improved Unarmed Strike he can make iterative attacks based on BAB 0/-5/-10/-15 then make all natural attacks at -5 and with 1/2*Str. Multiattack will less all of the natural attacks to a -2. He takes no penalties on his iteratives.
    However, most dragons won't have the Dex required for Improved unarmed strike without work.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

However, most dragons won't have the Dex required for Improved unarmed strike without work.
    I don't see a DEX requirement for IUS in the SRD.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I'm still kind of confused.....

I'm asking because I kind of want to play one with these rules here. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=108
    Yup. You get all your iteratives as normal, then all your natural weapons at BAB -5. So if you had a sword in one claw, the other claw free, 2 wings, a bite, and tail slap, you get, assuming enough BAB:

Weapon at normal AB
    Weapon at AB-5
    Weapon at AB-10
    Weapon at AB-15
    Claw at AB-5
    2 Wings at AB-5
    Bite at AB-5
    Tail at AB-5.

Multiattack reduces all those -5s on natural attacks to -2s, and Improved Multiattack removes them entirely. You can also take Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike to get more natural attacks, though they get penalties. If you don't use weapons, then your primary natural weapon doesn't take the -5 IIRC and you can apply your full Str modifier to it.
    Last edited by magic9mushroom; 2010-03-05 at 02:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup. You get all your iteratives as normal, then all your natural weapons at BAB -5. So if you had a sword in one claw, the other claw free, 2 wings, a bite, and tail slap, you get, assuming enough BAB:

Weapon at normal AB
    Weapon at AB-5
    Weapon at AB-10
    Weapon at AB-15
    Weapon at AB-20
    Claw at AB-5
    2 Wings at AB-5
    Bite at AB-5
    Tail at AB-5.

Multiattack reduces all those -5s on natural attacks to -2s, and Improved Multiattack removes them entirely. You can also take Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike to get more natural attacks, though they get penalties. If you don't use weapons, then your primary natural weapon doesn't take the -5 IIRC and you can apply your full Str modifier to it.
    Wait, what? That doesn't make sense. How are you getting the fifth weapon attack? You can only get 4 weapon attacks from BAB, at BAB, BAB-5,BAB-10,and BAB-15.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Wait, what? That doesn't make sense. How are you getting the fifth weapon attack? You can only get 4 weapon attacks from BAB, at BAB, BAB-5,BAB-10,and BAB-15.
    Ok, my brain's asleep. Editing.

(I literally fell asleep on a train today and had to be woken up by the crew when it stopped. Bear with me.)
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Do note that even with improved multiattack, you still only get 1/2 str mod on damage with your secondary attacks. It merely removes the to-hit penalties.

Draconomicon does have the rapidstrike/improved rapidstrike feats though, which lets you make additional attacks with a pair of natural weapons.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I literally fell asleep on a train today and had to be woken up by the crew when it stopped. Bear with me.
    Happened to me 2 days ago, but I went past my station and had to wait for an hour for the train back. I got home a little late and my wife was pissed...

About the topic: I did that with a Wemic once, went for Monk, had Multiattack later and did real nice damage with hands and claws.
    Act well before thinking!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

About the topic: I did that with a Wemic once, went for Monk, had Multiattack later and did real nice damage with hands and claws.
    If you do that, then make you you pick up superior unarmed strike (ToB) as well, improves your unarmed strikes to base 2d6 (for medium).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    If you do that, then make you you pick up superior unarmed strike (ToB) as well, improves your unarmed strikes to base 2d6 (for medium).
    I would love to play that character once again, but noone lets me play a Wemic. People can play Wizards, all right, but a race that is really not stronger than most? No way! [/whine]
    Act well before thinking!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Here's a question. If you have a creature with Rapidstrike on more than one set of attacks (e.g. a Dragon) and give it the Epic Pseudonatural template, does it get the benefit of both sets of Rapidstrike when in Pseudonatural form, or does it only get one more set of tentacle rakes?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Can the beast claws item from Savage species be enchanted or no?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

If he does this, does he get natural weapon damage on his "unarmed" attacks? Or just base unarmed damage? And does the "unarmed" attacks use up on of his natural weapons? Or can it be assumed to be a headbutt or something?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Hardly. Dragons at higher levels have BAB to spare, hitting upwards of +30 and 40.

A Power attack for 10, with improved multiattack, and you're still rocking a Melee attack bonus high enough to hit most members of most parties on a 2, and are doing very respectable damage.

Add in spell buffs, and I've had great wyrms with only 1 combat buff doing around 150-170 damage on an attack.

Gets worse with Wraithstrike, when you can power attack for 20. Add in fog and blindsense, or natural darkness and the same, and you can go against flat-footed touch AC, pretty much guaranteeing hits for good damage. Yes, you'll have a miss chance, but if a dragon likes darkness and fog, he'll likely have blindfighting.
    A CR 20 red dragon has a +27 to hit. A level 20 melee has 38-40 AC without any special optimization tricks, nor any special focus on AC, nor even buffs. Simply armor, a +5 from 3-4 sources and a couple +1's or +2's here and there from misc. causes. At the same level the rogue's dex is through the roof netting him the same or higher AC. So that pretty much leaves casters, who ought to have some other kind of protection I hope. Losing 10% of your hits to gain a measly +1 or +2 damage is shooting yourself in the foot at this level. You need splatbook tricks to either negate the AB penalty or to get more damage. Ya wraithstrike is one of those tricks but it's a cheesy way to basically say "I hit" as it throws the concept of AB and AC out the window.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-03-05 at 09:42 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    A CR 20 red dragon has a +27 to hit. A level 20 melee has 38-40 AC without any special optimization tricks, nor any special focus on AC, nor even buffs.
    ....Huh?

A CR 20 red dragon (old) has a BAB of +28, with a +36 total attack bonus. The red dragon with +27 to hit (young adult) is cr 13.